Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
OK Rick and Morty is the craziest loving thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rick and Morty is an insanely vulgar Adult Swim animated comedy yet it's still about a thousand times better at being a sci-fi than Who is right now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Meseeks episode best episode.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to cite Black Mirror as another better-than-Who currently on the air. The show asks ridiculous, simple questions, like "What if someone demanded the PM sodomize a pig?" and takes them to emotionally wrenching conclusions. The second episode, Fifteen Million Merits, is Bad Wolf if it were about iPhone games and makes me wonder what Charlie Brooker's Who would be like.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Fiveish Doctors channeled more "Who essence" than the tail end of Smith's run. In some better world, Peter Davison is the showrunner and the show's level of detail goes beyond catchphrases.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You have remarkable brand loyalty. If more Doctor Who is made and I don't enjoy it, what's the point for me?

The promise that someday Moffat will leave and things will get better.

And the consistent disappointment accompanying that hope.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mameluke posted:

I'd like to cite Black Mirror as another better-than-Who currently on the air. The show asks ridiculous, simple questions, like "What if someone demanded the PM sodomize a pig?" and takes them to emotionally wrenching conclusions. The second episode, Fifteen Million Merits, is Bad Wolf if it were about iPhone games and makes me wonder what Charlie Brooker's Who would be like.

Brooker is a huge Who fan, and I'd love to see what he came up with if invited to write for the show.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

The_Doctor posted:

Brooker is a huge Who fan, and I'd love to see what he came up with if invited to write for the show.

It would be the most dry and cynical episode of Who in history and instead of hiding behind the sofa to escape the monster of the week, kids would just experience pangs of existential dread. Also it would probably be great!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Martout posted:

It would be the most dry and cynical episode of Who in history and instead of hiding behind the sofa to escape the monster of the week, kids would just experience pangs of existential dread. Also it would probably be great!

Oh, you mean like watching The Creature From The Pit

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Martout posted:

To be fair, part of what Brooker loves (despite himself) about Who is how it's generally upbeat and optimistic. It's one of the few things that can penetrate his flinty hate-filled heart. So he'd probably make the effort not to make it too bleak.

Besides, have you seen A Touch of Cloth? That's just non-stop dumb gags, it's amazing and not miserable or cynical at all.

EDIT - dammit, now I really want to see a Brooker episode of Who, cheers

EDIT EDIT - He is basically this thread incarnate, it's pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79XAEN9gAx0

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 9, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Republican Vampire posted:

Not sure who drew these, but they definitely make the leaked scripts seem more palatable

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I genuinely laughed out loud for real.

When reading "You're very welcome" in the script I actually did think of Rick & Morty... it is marvellous seeing that actually brought to life.

And the "if you were real you would be dead in 6 months" is genius because of the simulation episode.

I am now actually disapointed that there are only occasional flashes of this character in the scripts... if Peter Capaldi's doctor was a sober version of Rick it would be the best drat thing ever. Unfortunately most of the time the doctor just seems like "generic Doctor", but with a couple of these Rick-isms thrown into each episode.

I'm totally gonna save these and post them in the other thread when the relevant episodes actually air.

It's worth noting that Rick & Morty's creator Dan Harmon said that while the original "Doc and Mharti" animated shorts were obviously based on Back to the Future, the main inspiration for most of the stuff in the actual Rick & Morty series is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Doctor Who. Article talking about it here: http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/dan_harmon_rick_and_morty_will_be_the_doctor_who_of_adult_swim_cartoons-2013-11

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 10, 2014

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT EDIT - He is basically this thread incarnate, it's pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79XAEN9gAx0

Brooker is absolutely spot-on here. I'd love to see his take on the series under Moffat, as well.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Around two thirds of the Black Mirror plots feel like prequels to a Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy story.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
This thread:

9 Years Ago - RTD is awesome, Who is back and it's good.
7 Years Ago - RTD is poo poo
5 years ago - Yay Moffat is the saviour and it's going to change everything
3 years ago - Moffat is poo poo
1 year ago - yeah still poo poo, give Gattis the job
2 years from now - Yay Gattis is the saviour and it's going to change everything
4 years from now - Gattis is poo poo etc etc.

I have no idea why people keep holding Gattis up as the man to take over from Moffat - he's a good writer, but not a proven show runner.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gatiss is the most generic writer Who has had since returning and none of his episodes have breached 'passable'.

edit: VVVV oh jesus i would be fuckin' miserable if Chibnall took over

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 10, 2014

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Mr Beens posted:

This thread:

2 years from now - Yay Gattis is the saviour and it's going to change everything

I have no idea why people keep holding Gattis up as the man to take over from Moffat - he's a good writer, but not a proven show runner.

I don't think anyone has said that Gatiss is either A)the savior or B)the heir apparent who deserves the job? :confused: Plenty of people have opined that Chris Chibnall is just as likely to get the nod when Moffat finally departs (not saying he deserves it, mind).

Also yes, people were full of hope when RTD brought back the show, and they were full of hope when Moffat took it over, and they will be full of hope when someone finally takes it over from him. Just because someone doesn't like how the show turned out under either guy doesn't mean their initial hopefulness was invalid or unwarranted.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Philip Hinchcliffe is still alive 'n' kicking. That's the hope that keeps my own stony heart going.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

This thread:

This post:

When you posted it: a load of stuff that either didn't happen or is somehow based on confusion that peoples' opinions can change over the course of years

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I would like for someone to take over and not have the ego to believe that have to write five episodes a year as well as running the show. Get somebody good at running a show to run the show.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The old producer/script editor model worked pretty well.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mr Beens posted:

This thread:

People really loved Moffat when he took over for a reason: his first series as showrunner is by far his best. Scripts aside, it even looks better, because of that production team quitting thing that happened. The other seasons have been worse overall, plus a lot of his quirks that you didn't notice when you'd only had one season of him became more and more noticeable as time went on. (Also, a lot of those quirks make him seem like a smug rear end in a top hat.)

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 10, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

As someone else once said, Moffatt writes a good female character.

Unfortunately all the characters are her, so it kind of loses the appeal after a while.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Mark Gatiss is surely the heir apparent given how long he's been writing scripts for Who and collaborating with Moffat on Sherlock. That's not to say I want him to be, or that I think he deserves it, because

Bown posted:

Gatiss is the most generic writer Who has had since returning and none of his episodes have breached 'passable'.

At least Moffat took the seat on the basis of a history of outstanding quality episodes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Noxville posted:

I would like for someone to take over and not have the ego to believe that have to write five episodes a year as well as running the show. Get somebody good at running a show to run the show.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The old producer/script editor model worked pretty well.

Basically this. Having the show runner also be the head writer jsut doen't seem to be a working combination.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think showrunning is mostly an American thing. It just wasn't something that was done in UK television until RTD did it on Doctor Who (and blew most of the money for season one on effects for "The End of the World", kind of like Moffat did in his first season. Haha!).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

plus a lot of his quirks that you didn't notice when you'd only had one season of him became more and more noticeable as time went on

As I said above, they were pretty noticeable from Forest of the Dead onwards

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Noxville posted:

Back when the production clusterfuck happened, the leaker had nothing but praise for how well Moffat was concealing budget cuts and dealing with the production problems, but after what happened with Caro Skinner in Edinburgh it's kind of hard to buy that.

Bown posted:

edit: VVVV oh jesus i would be fuckin' miserable if Chibnall took over

Does Chibnall have the time? He's running Broadchurch and I'm pretty sure he's co-running Gracepoint. That said, he wouldn't be an awful choice. His episodes have never been great, but his Silurian two parter is competent and his shorts were well-liked. Plus he's got actual showrunning experience.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Richard Curtis for showrunner, assuming he finally gives up his current career of trying to remake Love Actually every five years.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Republican Vampire posted:

Back when the production clusterfuck happened, the leaker had nothing but praise for how well Moffat was concealing budget cuts and dealing with the production problems, but after what happened with Caro Skinner in Edinburgh it's kind of hard to buy that.

Wasn't that the thing that got RTD the job in the first place, his ability to deliver a show on time in within the budget?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would love to read any articles on the controversy/clusterfucks during Moffat's tenure, especially the Carol Skinner thing people talk about every so often. It all sounds very entertaining.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Gatiss's success on Sherlock and comparative failure on Who both stem from his love of pastiche. He would write a very archetypical season; kind of like Eccleston's tenure, really.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mameluke posted:

I feel like Gatiss's success on Sherlock and comparative failure on Who both stem from his love of pastiche. He would write a very archetypical season; kind of like Eccleston's tenure, really.

You just convinced me, as I love the 9th Doctor and his season. Bring on Gatiss.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So, I picked a random episode of Rick and Morty and ended up watching the one with television from alternate dimensions. I was in tears during the Two Brothers trailer. Not sure how I've missed it until now, but thanks for the recommendations. Totally worth it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inkspot posted:

So, I picked a random episode of Rick and Morty and ended up watching the one with television from alternate dimensions. I was in tears during the Two Brothers trailer. Not sure how I've missed it until now, but thanks for the recommendations. Totally worth it.

Finally, something good came from this thread.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Inkspot posted:

Huh, seems like TV from other dimensions has a somewhat looser feel to it. It's got an almost improvisational tone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

The only Sherlock episode he wrote that I really liked was the season 1 finale. The s3 premiere may still be the worst TV episode of this calendar year.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

The only Sherlock episode he wrote that I really liked was the season 1 finale. The s3 premiere may still be the worst TV episode of this calendar year.

It was dumb as gently caress that they paid off two years worth of waiting for Watson's reaction with slapstick.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bown posted:

I didn't really like that one either, it was basically just mashing together a bunch of little mysteries to stretch things out to 90 minutes.

Actually, the only episode of Sherlock I watched that I quite liked was the first one.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Huh, seems like TV from other dimensions has a somewhat looser feel to it. It's got an almost improvisational tone.

That's because all the different tv shows were improvised.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

e X posted:

That's because all the different tv shows were improvised.

While you may have seen the show enough to be correct, you didn't recognise that what you quoted is an exact quote from the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He's literally quoting a line from the episode.

• Locked thread