Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
loss.andesite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Good news.

Toady One posted:

The blocking and deity crashes are squished, and I'm working on fort mode crashes now. It'll depend on the tracker, but I'll probably move on to the calendar after that until the times are down significantly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i embarked next to a volcano and somehow within a month one of my initial 7 dwarves has gone missing and/or dead and i have no idea how other than the softly glowing answer not that far from me

i found one of my summer migrants out cold on the slope of the volcano due to having fallen out of a tree and broken his arm along with bruising his heart and other poo poo. i think the missing dwarf most likely actually fell into the volcano after doing the same dumb poo poo that his bearded ant brain told him to. rip.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Made a pocket world and decided to be an rear end in a top hat. First place I appear, I chopped the neck of the closest farmer into bits and ran off to the tavern. I then declared my claim over the site, and decided to really drive the point home by stabbing the nearby lady to death. To my shock, the game acknowlaged this as a nice and legitimate way to take over a site, as a little message box popped up confirming my new ownership of the site. Nobody at the site liked me at all, though, so I decided to make a demigod adventurer who wandered over with a silver axe and announced open insurrection against the dude. He didn't fight back at all despite being pretty kitted out with armor, which made killing him difficult, but evidently helms dont cover necks since I was able to chop it off. The previous group regained control of the site and went about going "This is great!".

I decided to go exterminate a goblin tower next. Boy howdy there are a ton of goblins at those sites even on pocket worlds. I set about hewing the crowds that massed on top the towers. Eventually they had enough and collectively booked it, sprinting, climbing, and leaping in any which way to get away from me. I had one actually climb over the ramparts and leap off the tower to try to escape, but most felt the ramp was their best bet, although with the amount of goblins trying to flee it often meant they were quite literally falling over each other trying to get down without having to crawl. It was slow going with the silver axe, but I found an iron great axe which would 100% chop a head every swing, which made things go by faster. I didn't manage to find any actual goblin soldiers or otherwise, and crashed the game by shouting to nobody in a dungeon pit area.

None of the goblins spit at me, though! They remained pretty glib if I ever felt like chit chatting with them before collecting their head, and none of them seemed to take the slaughter personally. They still kept booking it like mad away from me, though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Toady One posted:

quote:

Has anyone found out why we have Metal Thrones instead of anvils in these world gen forges? I am going to melt them down for steel.
He he he, in any case, the thrones are not there on purpose. One of the weird bug reports so far, really. At least I could understand where all the mystery babies might have come from, but thrones... why are there thrones?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Why is it always iron thrones?!

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
At least I could understand where all the mystery babies might have come from

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

> Dwarf Fortress 2014: But thrones... why are there thrones?

e:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hailthefish posted:

Why is it always iron thrones?!

They're all Game of Thrones fans and have constructed their own replicas for role-playing purposes. Conveniently the hard, flat-ish surfaces of the seats can also serve the same purpose an anvil would, and given how much money they spent on the things they have to get as much value out of them as they can.

Anyway, going to try this game again after... Months or maybe a year or two of not playing. Thinking of trying Adventure Mode rather than Fortress for my first game (most of the time I did Fortress Mode before, only making one or two attempts at adventuring before giving up due to failure to accomplish anything), since a lot of the insanity seems to be there as of the most recent update.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

:911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

It even has a Florida :allears:

edit: God it even has the rockies! This has to be an easter egg, right?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 10, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Holy crap, it turns out that The slabs you can get at the bottom of a vault have a secret power. After reading one (you may need to carry it with you) you can talk to it's associated demon and use it's true name to instantly banish them or command them to do your bidding. :getin:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

NewMars posted:

Holy crap, it turns out that The slabs you can get at the bottom of a vault have a secret power. After reading one (you may need to carry it with you) you can talk to it's associated demon and use it's true name to instantly banish them or command them to do your bidding.

:stare:

There's more research to be done.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt take reading ability. :smith:

Bladesofskrm
Apr 30, 2014
I checked this thread out and it's hurting my eyes. But it sure is interesting to play. What's the latest development of this game?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Bladesofskrm posted:

I checked this thread out and it's hurting my eyes. But it sure is interesting to play. What's the latest development of this game?

A new version came out a couple days ago, the first major one in like 2 years. There are pretty trees now, and people have conversations about how things are terrifying and/or how much they like murder.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

WhenInRome posted:

Holy gently caress, could you upload the save somewhere? I need to play this.

Angry Diplomat posted:

That world is on my work computer. I'll see if I can figure something out tomorrow.

Alright, I'm at work and have my DF directory open. I just need to upload the data/save/region1 file if I'm not mistaken (that's my only region, so...), but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

More importantly, can anyone recommend a good site to upload this thing to? I'm not exactly a filesharing guru so I don't have much experience with this stuff.

edit: Oh, just fyi, that save is currently in the middle of the reclamation of an ancient abandoned dwarven fortress containing millions of throneforges and statues and nothing else. It really is quite a lovely fortress, though, with lots of empty space ready to be used. Goes right down to the magma level too. If you want to muck around in the legends or Adventure mode, you can simply retire or abandon the fort.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 10, 2014

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

moller posted:

There are pretty trees now

I loving love that in fortress mode you can now chop down 1 tree and get like 20+ wood

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zoe posted:

Holy poo poo. Where'd this come from?

This thread moves fast. Sorry it's 100+ replies late.

http://kruggsmash.deviantart.com/art/Greed-The-End-of-Duralthob-463209684

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I've ripped apart the string dump and the mess in the save's uncompressed world.dat looking for clues to the demonslab mechanism and I can't find poo poo.

Here are the facts: During prehistory, an unique giraffe demon Ned Terrordevils (DEMON_3, SPHERE:JEALOUSY) thrust a slade spike through the earth (named Bastion of Evil) and started a goblin civilization called the Sin of Hatred, which founded its first site Counciltick around/beneath/near the pillar. Life was good as the demon ruled his goblins.

Then he created a vault named Healhates and the legendary steel slab "The Slave of Pebbles". With these two in hand, Ned was granted a permanent place in the world by a human god of jealousy. He, I quote, "aided Ned ... after pondering the ineffable subtleties of jealousy". The ritual "took place in Healhates with the help of The Slave of Pebbles". Ned then locked the slab in the vault for safekeeping and went off to be the king again.

The story ends some 150 years later as an elven war host from the Prim Zephyr laid waste to the goblin-infested tundra with few losses. Counciltick was pillaged, zounds of elven sympathizers were either buried alive or drowned and Ned himself got his bitch rear end beheaded in court.

...conclusions? It's weird. There's clearly a supernatural element bestowing something from on high, much like secrets of life and death, but somehow the slab and the vault come first, as if to facilitate the whole thing. The sphere compatibility seems to be a big requirement, too. And I can't find any reference to raw-like structures that'd point to something like this.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Some rather odd spheres can have a part in it I've noticed. But they all have reasonable reasons why. A god of duty does it to make sure that the struggles of heroes never end. I think they're supposed to make demons immortal.

On a related note, I've noticed at least one creature (I can't remember what sort it was) I was told to hunt was specifically noted as having a weakness to the metal copper.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Were-thing, most likely. The randomly generated variants have randomly generated material weaknesses that come up in conversation. That's old news.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
That was it, likely. But yes, spheres should have prefstrings attached to them for the demonslab mechanics.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Here are most/all of the text strings that describe the gods' reasoning:

due to their similarity
after pondering the ineffable subtleties of
in order to maintain balance in the universe
to create a monument to the boundaries between realities
to sow the seeds of chaos therein
to provide opportunities for courage to rise
that more might die
that all should gaze upon a truly gruesome visage
because it was destined
that great fortresses might be raised and tested in siege
on a whim
that it might bathe in misery forever
that more might be murdered
in order to make nightmares reality
in order to make thralls of everyone
in order that acts of torture be perpetrated
to provide opportunities for acts of valor to be performed
that war might rage forever

So... vague, vague, BALANCE, BOUNDARIES, CHAOS, COURAGE, DEATH, DEFORMITY, FATE, FORTRESSES, GAMBLING/LUCK(?), MISERY, MURDER, NIGHTMARES, THRALLDOM, TORTURE, VALOR and WAR.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Alright, I'm at work and have my DF directory open. I just need to upload the data/save/region1 file if I'm not mistaken (that's my only region, so...), but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

More importantly, can anyone recommend a good site to upload this thing to? I'm not exactly a filesharing guru so I don't have much experience with this stuff.

I usually use Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com) for this sort of thing, but you need to make a (free) account. I guess you can use Mega (https://mega.co.nz/) if you don't want to make an account, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know how well it works.

Use Winrar or something to compress the save into a single file first. If using Dropbox, put it in your public folder, right-click the file and select "Copy public link" and post the link here.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I was reading up on the gods of my world, and came across this fellow, who is part of the dwarven pantheon:

Who is shining? BEAR is shining, how can this be?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Apoffys posted:

I usually use Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com) for this sort of thing, but you need to make a (free) account. I guess you can use Mega (https://mega.co.nz/) if you don't want to make an account, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know how well it works.

Use Winrar or something to compress the save into a single file first. If using Dropbox, put it in your public folder, right-click the file and select "Copy public link" and post the link here.

Well, that was easy. Have at it, if you're so inclined.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Minotaurs get their own mazes for you to hunt them down in. :haw:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
They've had that for ages though. They also taunt you while you run around in them!

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I decided to go exterminate a goblin tower next. Boy howdy there are a ton of goblins at those sites even on pocket worlds. I set about hewing the crowds that massed on top the towers. Eventually they had enough and collectively booked it, sprinting, climbing, and leaping in any which way to get away from me. I had one actually climb over the ramparts and leap off the tower to try to escape, but most felt the ramp was their best bet, although with the amount of goblins trying to flee it often meant they were quite literally falling over each other trying to get down without having to crawl. It was slow going with the silver axe, but I found an iron great axe which would 100% chop a head every swing, which made things go by faster. I didn't manage to find any actual goblin soldiers or otherwise, and crashed the game by shouting to nobody in a dungeon pit area.

None of the goblins spit at me, though! They remained pretty glib if I ever felt like chit chatting with them before collecting their head, and none of them seemed to take the slaughter personally. They still kept booking it like mad away from me, though.

You were their 9/11.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

MegaGatts posted:

You were their 9/11.

i have played many violent games but dwarf fortress combat is really the only one that makes me feel like a sociopath for playing it

probably the fact im navigating menus to stab a dudes throat at the same time im hacking open his stomach while watching a slurry of blood cascade down a ramp due to all the people with cut throats that tried to run rather than just shooting people in the face or something else more vaugly wholesome

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 10, 2014

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
I've heard grumbling from the Dwarven Carpenters Union. Something about the new giant trees "taking our jobs"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:stonk:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I settled my fortress on a place with a natural cave:dance:

Still need to see how deep it goes

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So did anyone get hit by dwarven raiders/bandits yet or did I just find something new?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I do kind of wish that he would add the ability to save games like a non-roguelike for this testing phase. It's not because I hate "losing" but because of the crashes. This version makes LPs impossible.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
So does being the lord of a town let you do anything other than get killed by insurrections?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

So did anyone get hit by dwarven raiders/bandits yet or did I just find something new?

Well, presumably, the world activation means that invaders will actually draw from members of neighboring civs.

So if the goblins near you have a bunch of integrated dwarves, you will probably get dwarves coming on goblin raids.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Well, presumably, the world activation means that invaders will actually draw from members of neighboring civs.

So if the goblins near you have a bunch of integrated dwarves, you will probably get dwarves coming on goblin raids.

Yeah after I posted I realized that they were probably integrated dwarves.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Mirthless posted:

:911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

It even has a Florida :allears:

edit: God it even has the rockies! This has to be an easter egg, right?

This is insane! It has the Great Lakes, the Amazon and Hawaii, too.

I'm completely in love with this thread at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Phoebus has been updated to work with the new version of DF.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137096.0