Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I get pulled in on a call to help some techs with printing from one of our ancient applications onto an ancient printer (an HP 1320). After upgrading to Win7, it's printing PCL XL errors, so I tell them to put the PCL 5 driver on the print server and have the users delete/re-add the printer. They say they did that, but it's still not working. I check the server and it's using the correct driver, I check to make sure they're not using a secondary print queue, and then I check the application's settings to make sure it's going through the correct print server. Then I remote into the user's machine, and they don't even have the printer installed. They have a different printer, but it's a 4250 and it's got the PCL 6 drivers installed, so was the application just using that driver anyway? I'm not sure how this application prints and it's going away in another year so I just add the 1320 queue and have them test, and it works! hooray for printers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

anthonypants posted:

hooray for printers

Printers are the worst

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Number19 posted:

Printers are the worst

But if anyone ever built a perfect printer we'd all be out of a job

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zero VGS posted:

But if anyone ever built a perfect printer we'd all be out of a job

I pity the guy who this is true for.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I don't think there would be enough cases of scotch in the world for me if I had to take a job as a printer janitor

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Number19 posted:

I don't think there would be enough cases of scotch in the world for me if I had to take a job as a printer janitor

It wasn't so bad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mrit posted:

It wasn't so bad.

I'm printer janitor for at least half my job but I'm making $25 an hour, I'll live.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

I'm printer janitor for at least half my job but I'm making $25 an hour, I'll live.

Next time your boss tells you it's raining look down and make sure he isn't actually pissing on your leg.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TWBalls posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Every one. 149.047852 Gibibytes, which is 160.039 Gigabytes.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I think working tickets would be much easier if we had the same sort of rights as priests and lawyers - so users would actually tell us what they did and know the details were sacrosanct and their boss wouldn't be told.

Bless me Father Geek I have sinned, I have deleted 3 files, ignored the 'out of toner' message, and have not rebooted.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Baconroll posted:

I think working tickets would be much easier if we had the same sort of rights as priests and lawyers - so users would actually tell us what they did and know the details were sacrosanct and their boss wouldn't be told.

Bless me Father Geek I have sinned, I have deleted 3 files, ignored the 'out of toner' message, and have not rebooted.

That is the path to Warhammer 40k my son.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Baconroll posted:

Say five gently caress Printers, one Hail Autorecover, and just uninstall McAfee. Put $5 in the IT Department Welfare Fund poorbox, go forth, and print no more.

In nomine Ballmer, et Wozniak, et Gates Sancti, amen.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Baconroll posted:

Try saying this in the Lawyer or Legal Questions megathreads and see what happens.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Baconroll posted:

If you have a good relationship with your users and let them know you wont go to their boss, you know, this might happen.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Riso posted:

That is the path to Warhammer 40k my son.

Nah, no one in the Adeptus Mechanicus could actually be in IT. They're more like that one user who swears he is good with computers but is all magical thinking and cargo cult bullshit.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

jim truds posted:

Nah, no one in the Adeptus Mechanicus could actually be in IT. They're more like that one user who swears he is good with computers but is all magical thinking and cargo cult bullshit.

Sorry but the higher levels know what makes the things go.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Riso posted:

Sorry but the higher levels know what makes the things go.

And I'm sure one would be searching for the STC for the One True Printer

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0digal posted:

And I'm sure one would be searching for the STC for the One True Printer

Joke is on them, they've all been tainted by chaos.

:unsmigghh:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

jim truds posted:

This reminds me of my friend who installs every piece of bloatware because it promises to speed up his pc. I've never had to clean it because "it's [two years] old, not slow!"

At this point I might be nitpicking, but seriously Z, when someone calls and says they need to speak to me, give me a heads up about who is calling at least. "Hey Godsped can you take X's call" is much better than my phone ringing followed by silence and me hearing you put down your phone because you're ten feet away.

The nice thing about my phone is that only internal IT has it (give or take a nearby city's newspaper) :itisamystery:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Sending an e-mail to the IT team asking "a way to make this fit in our FB pages? Make smaller?*" in regards to a picture is really not a way to get on my good side.

I wish there was an abuse policy in place for this kind of poo poo.

*actual quote

I did tell her how to resize in Preview but really, this really isn't something to ask me about.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ugh. Same boss who was panicking over the 70 day old ticket the other day called me up asking why that ticket is so old and generally freaking out about it.

Apparently the engineering team couldn't fix it either so they kicked it over to desk side. This is still my fault obviously. Then I got a lecture about how the company suddenly had concerns about my level of responsibility and maturity and had concerns about of I was going to be here in a few weeks. These concerns of course were never discussed with me over the last year, they could provide no specific examples, and had no suggestions on areas I could improve.

Looks like I'm spending however long I have left here job hunting.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Ugh. Same boss who was panicking over the 70 day old ticket the other day called me up asking why that ticket is so old and generally freaking out about it.

Apparently the engineering team couldn't fix it either so they kicked it over to desk side. This is still my fault obviously. Then I got a lecture about how the company suddenly had concerns about my level of responsibility and maturity and had concerns about of I was going to be here in a few weeks. These concerns of course were never discussed with me over the last year, they could provide no specific examples, and had no suggestions on areas I could improve.

Do other jobs have to put up with this type of bullshit and stress or is this purely a tech thing. I feel like any other position get's to have a meeting and all this warning that things are going awry but tech is like "You hosed up one ticket, pack your bags even though you've kept this business afloat for the last decade".

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

m.hache posted:

Do other jobs have to put up with this type of bullshit and stress or is this purely a tech thing. I feel like any other position get's to have a meeting and all this warning that things are going awry but tech is like "You hosed up one ticket, pack your bags even though you've kept this business afloat for the last decade".

I don't know but it's a good way to gently caress up my morning. I've been here a year and from what I can tell everyone here like me well enough. I'm 99% sure these 'concerns' are made up bullshit so they can get rid of me and hire someone for 2/3 the cost.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

m.hache posted:

Needlessly harassing employees is what literally every middle manager is taught to do

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Great Beer posted:

Time to start documenting everything too.

Send an email summarizing your meeting to your boss, and ask him to reply that it's an accurate assessment of what you agreed to in the meeting. You might be able to get constructive dismissal if they can't actually explain what's wrong.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

go3 posted:

Needlessly harassing employees is what literally every middle manager is taught to do

This is often taught to every upper level manager too, it seems.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The MSP I work for has had the pleasure of offboarding a notoriously difficult client. This is a memory of them from/for the archives:

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't think that's what is meant by "stackable switches."

Hey, they put a pen between the switches that have top/bottom vents, so all is good. The poo poo you see at client locations that have no dedicated IT and have gone through multiple 3rd party tech companies is astounding, and par for the course for small businesses.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A ticket came in. "Computer is defaulting to power save mode - Help!"

Followed up by an email. I heard a click and it started working.

Send a reply, Are you still having problems with your computer?

Yes.

When I call everything is working

???

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Archive/Restore solution stops working. Check all the connections, reboot, etc. Check the log of a failed job

code:
[10. Jul 2014 12:02][-thread:b07e5000-] Warning: Library Changer1 can no longer be accessed by the OS and should be disabled.
Well poo poo. Time to put in a support request with the vendor!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

lampey posted:

Yes.

???

"Unable to reproduce problem. Closing ticket"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

m.hache posted:

I'd say a very, very short memory that emphasizes negative over positive is basically to be expected in most cases. The passive case of things NOT breaking for years will always be outweighed by the active case of something finally blowing up.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's the strange thing, this ticket is about software that isn't even vital. It's some email to fax poo poo that was designed for win98 that, shockingly, doesn't work on win 7 very well.

The work around is to just email the PDF to the person which is fine for everyone but this one team of users who have to have it because they won't learn/do anything else. Oh and we can't get new software because reasons.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

lampey posted:

Yes.

???

I'm going to guess their computer keeps booting into safe mode and they don't know/understand what that means. They know they can use their computer and it works, but it looks different (no background and the "safe mode" message) so that makes them terrified their computer is messed up, and as we all know anything that makes a computer look or act even slightly different = MY COMPUTER IS COMPLETELY BROKEN HELP :byodood:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So follow up for anyone that uses Quickbooks 2014 and Office 2013 and want to set up Emailing. If you find the Outlook option isn't showing up, look in your C:\Windows\ folder for a win.ini file.

Apparently you need the following lines in there for MAPI to be recognized throughout windows as a connector. Go figure.

[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
A bunch of new tickets came in. Actually not new tickets, but old ones that were closed by management and reopened with a different category because they are getting too old. Now the stats look better, so all is right with the world.

Sigh. Some people build bridges, some make sick people better. I shuffle tickets around and call it progress. I am really starting to figure out how I can get out of this field because more and more it seems like I am wasting my life. This is my second job in a row where stats have consumed all my time, and actually fixing stuff seems to happen accidentally.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in from one of the guys I work with. I think hes a projects guy or something.

:downs: Hey blackswordca, just confirming your going to be at the client site tomorrow to deal with any fallout from my file server migration tonight

:) That is the plan.

:downs: Ok, here is what I've done. I've taken all of the root folders in the file share and added security groups to them all. *proceeds to explain to me the difference between Full Access, Modify, Read only and list permissions*

:( I.. i know how it works. So are these files on a different server?

:downs: no, they are all in the same place in the same server.

:( Oh, so you didn't migrate any data then?

:downs: I didn't really make note of who had access to what folder so you'll need to talk to each user and manually set them up. Shoot me an email tomorrow if you run into problems.

:( uhhh...

:downs: *click*

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in from one of the guys I work with. I think hes a projects guy or something.

:downs: Hey blackswordca, just confirming your going to be at the client site tomorrow to deal with any fallout from my file server migration tonight

:) That is the plan.

:downs: Ok, here is what I've done. I've taken all of the root folders in the file share and added security groups to them all. *proceeds to explain to me the difference between Full Access, Modify, Read only and list permissions*

:( I.. i know how it works. So are these files on a different server?

:downs: no, they are all in the same place in the same server.

:( Oh, so you didn't migrate any data then?

:downs: I didn't really make note of who had access to what folder so you'll need to talk to each user and manually set them up. Shoot me an email tomorrow if you run into problems.

:( uhhh...

:downs: *click*

God damnit, GreenNight!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I thought you left that hell hole.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

nexxai posted:

I thought you left that hell hole.

Oh I have. Its just one guy here, everyone else is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
A ticket came in!

quote:

My computer keeps logging me out of AOL, like in minutes.

• Locked thread