Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For me it's basically a tie between Charizard and Blastoise. I love fire types and being a dragon Charizard gets a lot of bias, but Blastoise is easily my favorite water starter, and he's confirmed to be the strongest gen 1 starter so he gets bonus respect points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

alcharagia posted:

Favorite. Pokemon.

Swampert, Milotic, Deoxys, Rayquaza, Ludicolo, Liligant.

(Contrary to my username, I don't really like Blaziken. I just thought it had a cool name.)

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

although Huge Power would be fuckin amazing as well.
And yet the most ridiculous thing in the game.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

L0cke17 posted:

Defiant(Because Hammer Arm) or Tough claws

Defiant doesn't trigger off of self-inflicted stat drops, though.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

alcharagia posted:

Favorite. Pokemon.

SKITTY

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Favorite is Tentacruel. I had a lot of fun using one in X and he's served me well enough in battles with friends. I'm looking to raise another one once we get move tutors because I need to get Giga Drain on one. I'm also curious how a Reflect Type Tentacruel gimmick might work in doubles.

Love that guy.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Steel/Psychic

Ability: Unknown

avlein fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 10, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

qnqnx posted:

On the other hand curbing down on those dumb "baton pass until you get lucky and have all the boosts in one mon" (which more often than not are full eeveolution teams) is a-ok to me.
This is false. While Espeon, Vaporeon, and Sylveon are important to BP teams, Scolipede is the main reason that they've become so powerful this generation and is crucial to their success.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
My favorite Pokémon is Vanilluxe.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

avlein posted:

Steel/Fighting

Ability: Tough Claws

Steel/Fighting, eh? Interesting.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Steel/Fighting, eh? Interesting.

Actually, that was just a mistake.

He's still Steel/Psychic and his ability is still unknown. Someone called it Tough Claws, but that no one's fully sure of that.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

dude789 posted:

This is false. While Espeon, Vaporeon, and Sylveon are important to BP teams, Scolipede is the main reason that they've become so powerful this generation and is crucial to their success.

I forgot that it gets Speed Boost now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

For Megagross' ability, how about Justified?

'gross got hit with the nerf bat big time with the removal of Steel's ghost and dark resistances. Justified would help mitigate that somewhat.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wow, the in-game model is really friggin cool.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RIP my no-attack moves stall Baton Pass team. Smogon can gently caress right off.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

For Megagross' ability, how about Justified?

'gross got hit with the nerf bat big time with the removal of Steel's ghost and dark resistances. Justified would help mitigate that somewhat.

Doesn't Justified rely pretty heavily on the switch-in factor though? You'd basically have to spend a turn setting it up in and then another turn switching it out before you could really do anything with it. Judging by it's offensive looking design I'd guess Tough Claws is likely.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

True, I just figured it might serve as a deterrent from using dark moves on it. Sort of like how you don't use ground or fire moves on a Bronzong because you don't know what ability it has.

I agree that tough claws is more likely. I was just throwing something out there.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

True, I just figured it might serve as a deterrent from using dark moves on it. Sort of like how you don't use ground or fire moves on a Bronzong because you don't know what ability it has.

Bronzong has levitate. Don't even bother thinking about it, it's Levitate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The real answer to Bronzong is Mold Breaker.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ChaosArgate posted:

The real answer to Bronzong is Mold Breaker.

Only up until this gen, now it is weak to Dark and Ghost as well so you don't have to gamble Ground or Fire anymore anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

mabels big day posted:

Bronzong has levitate. Don't even bother thinking about it, it's Levitate.

Right, I tend to assume this. But I've entertained the idea of running a Heatproof Bronzong, figuring that people would assume it has Levitate, and laughing at fire moves anyway.

I don't have any reason to make a Bronzong, but I thought it was a funny idea all the same.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

It's Tough Claws.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

avlein posted:

It's Tough Claws.

God dammit, Game Freak.

They should've just left his stats untouched and given him Huge Power. It's what he deserves.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

God dammit, Game Freak.

They should've just left his stats untouched and given him Huge Power. It's what he deserves.

No they shoulda given him more speed and Huge Power, but eh, Tough Claws isn't too bad I guess.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LAY-ZX posted:

God dammit, Game Freak.

They're saving Huge Power for Mega Slaking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That metagross loving owns. :swoon:

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Hugest Power: Triple the attack power, followed by two turns of loafing around.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

No they shoulda given him more speed and Huge Power

That's what Bullet Punch is for :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

That's what Bullet Punch is for :colbert:

How is that going to help me if I want to wreck things with Meteor Mash? :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

avlein posted:

Steel/Psychic

Ability: Unknown

I want one right now.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ChaosArgate posted:

No they shoulda given him more speed and Huge Power, but eh, Tough Claws isn't too bad I guess.
Tough Claws is just fine, it boost essentially every physical move Metagross uses barring Earthquake and maybe Rock Slide. Yes, that includes Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, Hammer Arm, Zen Headbutt, Pursuit, Thunder/Ice Punch, (and even Grass Knot apparently:aaa:) as moves that are boosted by Tough Claws.

Now we just need to see where the stat boosts are before rejoicing/despairing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

ChaosArgate posted:

How is that going to help me if I want to wreck things with Meteor Mash? :colbert:

No poo poo. Metagross was created to do one thing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How could anyone think they would actually give Metagross Huge Power? Diggersby has one of the highest attack stats in the game with base 56, doesn't it? Metagross has more than twice that.

Tough Claws is a much more reasonable upgrade.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Megagross looks pretty aerodynamic in that screenshot from the side, like a Star Trek spaceship or something. I could see it getting a significant Speed increase as part of the standard 100 base point Mega Evo stat boost.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

less laughter posted:

Megagross looks pretty aerodynamic in that screenshot from the side, like a Star Trek spaceship or something. I could see it getting a significant Speed increase as part of the standard 100 base point Mega Evo stat boost.
That'd basically put it in the M-Charizard X + M-Medicham camp of "No fancy tricks, just Mega-Evolve and flatten everything", and I'm okay with that.

I'd almost prefer all of it go into Attack and bulk, though. Why? It still learns Agility. :getin:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

avlein posted:

It's Tough Claws.

This is bullshit if it's true.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Is there a current list of all the Pokemon that are NOT needed to complete the National Dex? I know the general answer is "legendaries," but I'd like to know for sure that Nintendo and I are on the same page.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ratspeaker posted:

Is there a current list of all the Pokemon that are NOT needed to complete the National Dex? I know the general answer is "legendaries," but I'd like to know for sure that Nintendo and I are on the same page.

Anything event only is not needed.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Some time ago, I posted about a friend with a Lanturn-Heliolisk team. Now he's testing a new team with Mega Gengar and Liepard which tries to lock the opponent into struggling to death.

How can you counter it, and how cheap do you think this is? :v:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-139872947

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-139919997

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-139937844

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-139945272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Txn posted:

How can you counter it

roar

Of course, that would require people put non-damaging moves on their ~hyper offense~ team, which is just terrible

• Locked thread