Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you should tattle on them to the Canadian gov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i prefer that they keep paying me.

my rear end is covered, everything is documented and all emails are retained.

if snowden leaks their secret plan to lobby for socialized maple syrup it's not going to be on me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
surely you can do it anonymously

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't call me shirley

and, sure, i could. but government contracts are a big part of their business, if they lose that they won't have as much money to spend on me

my job is to tell them they're out of compliance and recommend steps to avoid those issues, if they ignore it it's their problem. i ain't going to rat them out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you inform on them then suddenly they need to find a new solution and that means more consulting dollars for you

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

api call girl posted:

microsoft's "customers" are already paying yearly subscriptions and have been for years and years I hope this helps

my company employs over 1000 ppl and only last year upgraded from xp and office 2007 up to win7 and office 2010. so theyve been paying yearly subscriptions to MS for this privilege?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

top secret snowden leak: maple syrup comes drugged from the communist paradises of canada and vermont. drink table syrup aka corn syrup with artificial flavoring if you don't want to be brainwashed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my company employs over 1000 ppl and only last year upgraded from xp and office 2007 up to win7 and office 2010. so theyve been paying yearly subscriptions to MS for this privilege?

yes you need whatever the gently caress they're calling it now to access old versions of office

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

they're probably paying for software assurance on the licenses so they could have upgraded at any point even though they didn't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, because unless they're idiots they've been paying for software assurance on those licenses the whole time. they didn't just go to the store and buy 1000 copies of office and windows 7, they've had the right to use whatever the latest version is since release. they just finally got around to testing and deploying the new software.

if they were masochists and hated you all they could upgrade with every single release if they wanted to

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

my job is to tell them they're out of compliance and recommend steps to avoid those issues, if they ignore it it's their problem. i ain't going to rat them out

that's my job

you don't want it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf: professional snitch

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
has anyone said satya nutella yet

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shame about the belt, he should do a casual Tom Cruse from Collateral thing

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

yes, because unless they're idiots they've been paying for software assurance on those licenses the whole time. they didn't just go to the store and buy 1000 copies of office and windows 7, they've had the right to use whatever the latest version is since release. they just finally got around to testing and deploying the new software.

if they were masochists and hated you all they could upgrade with every single release if they wanted to

brb demanding a win8 install asap

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

brb demanding a win8 install asap

rip

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

TerminalRaptor posted:

It really is a 'magic' in the sense that it completely defies reality in how it is determined and why MBAs flock to purchase poo poo listed on it.

...but hey, it keeps bringing $$$ to my company, so whateves

the magic part is the algorithm they use to map a circular dartboard to the square box

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theadder posted:

whats the status of the lifeboats op

non-technical women and children only

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

lmao

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
lmao

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
sorry I'm not a cj wise in the ways of microsoft licensing contracts. i assumed there was something in between "buy 1000 copies of office on amazon" and "pay ms yearly to "support" a product that is 3 years old. presumably you need this so you can call and complain when the latest windows update patch breaks everything?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

well there's also the fact that microsoft support can oftentimes be completely useless anyway

like, one of the few companies that did go all-in on the office 365 with full office license package had one user on an xp machine and the office 2010 that was still available at the time (but only for another few months) just completely refused to activate, there was some gently caress-up on the server side.

about 5 hours of jumping through ms support hoops and several days of waiting later, the answer came down and was basically "yeah, even though we publicly said you'd still be able to download office 2010, we're taking a mulligan on that declaration and actually your account is just glitched by letting you download the 2010 installer, you're only allowed to get 2013. ticket closed" :cripes:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's basically the right thing to do to customers that are complaining about things not working on xp

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

that's basically the right thing to do to customers that are complaining about things not working on xp

well, yes, minus the 5 hours of pissing around and the fake software download links

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my dad was telling me that his work just barely finished a migration from 2000 to xp lol

will post again when they finish w7 migration in 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a client that still has an NT4 server on their domain, running some old production DB that's never been updated

it fucks with everything because they can't raise the domain schema functional level past win2k without it breaking, which means all their fancy new servers are constantly spamming AD errors

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i left a job a year ago for a very big biomedical company that was still rolling out xp machines to new hires

i mean it was biomed so the os had to work with all kinds of weird unmaintained software and weird lab hardware and comply with a zillion different reporting requirements (sox fda and hippa oh boy!) but still...

the win7 migration project was literally four years behind schedule (it started as the vista migration project lmfao)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's big money to be made consulting on software deployment in those cases, the project never ends and they can't defund it even though it's going nowhere

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
the way software assurance is set up makes the decision to drop it reeeaaall difficult. the cost for particular licenses drops off massively after 3 years, so in the long run it costs a lot less than buying upgrades
the agreements don't really scale down at all, only up (ito no of licenses). if you drop sa and then decide to go back on you're back to paying the much more expensive initial prices again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
our oldest server is a vm running 2003 as our wsus :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

api call girl posted:

our oldest server is a vm running 2003 as our wsus :(

good lord. migrate that poo poo, it will run on anything with enough storage and migrating the config DB is trivial

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
gonna kill our last 3 2003r2s before the end of the year
hello new schema level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AtomD posted:

if you drop sa and then decide to go back on you're back to paying the much more expensive initial prices again.
:10bux:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

AtomD posted:

gonna kill our last 3 2003r2s before the end of the year
hello new schema level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, I just got everything up to 2008r2 in time to start rolling out 2012r2. it never ends.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
welcome to windows where running a 10 year old server os is business as usual

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
welcome to production networks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah except the latest rhel 6 release was just a couple seconds ago!! owned bitch

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol welcome to production networks :smug: ahahaha lol welcome to.. production.. bitch. windows style. 2k3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I hear you can run AD off Samba4 now, that must be fun

• Locked thread