Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Google Butt posted:

What would you guys do next after a new RMM? Not looking to get crazy, I can't afford an accessport/fuel pump internals right now.

Is there a standard upgrade path or anything that's worth bolting on until I get the AP/HPFP? SRI, sway bars, oil catch can, more motor mounts?!

Do you have a CAI/SRI? That's what I'd consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Google Butt posted:

What would you guys do next after a new RMM? Not looking to get crazy, I can't afford an accessport/fuel pump internals right now.

Is there a standard upgrade path or anything that's worth bolting on until I get the AP/HPFP? SRI, sway bars, oil catch can, more motor mounts?!

Stage 2 intake (meaning SRI and TIP) should be fine on the stock tune and fuel pump.

I did do the RMM, broke it in, and then took it off, made the car vibrate way too much in traffic with the A/C on - and took a lot of the wheel hop (fun factor) away!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Which rmm did you get? Thankfully it's rare thing for me to sit in traffic with the a.c.on where I live.

Edit: just got my 88 duro rmm installed and holy poo poo. Shifting and power delivery have so much less slop, it's a bit shocking. I kinda like the vibration..

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 10, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'd say an intake of some kind next for sure. You get to hear the turbo spool up, and unlike a lot of cars you actually get a pretty nice power bump.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

opengl128 posted:

I'd say an intake of some kind next for sure. You get to hear the turbo spool up, and unlike a lot of cars you actually get a pretty nice power bump.

Awesome. I'll be getting the JBR intake/inlet next for sure.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You really should have an AP/tune with a new intake, IMO.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Isn't that really only true once you start touching the exhaust? I've had my SRI for nearly 6 years now with no issues at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you tune you need to do fuel pump internals. That's pretty much written in stone from everyone on every forum for these cars.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Rhyno posted:

If you tune you need to do fuel pump internals. That's pretty much written in stone from everyone on every forum for these cars.

But do you need to tune with just an SRI and turbo inlet tube?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Google Butt posted:

But do you need to tune with just an SRI and turbo inlet tube?

No, I'm running the Corksport combo and have had no major issues. Just keep your MAF clean.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I cleaned my MAF for the first time a few weeks ago. About 43K. I was amazed at the difference, it felt like it did right after I installed the intake.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Google Butt posted:

Which rmm did you get? Thankfully it's rare thing for me to sit in traffic with the a.c.on where I live.

Edit: just got my 88 duro rmm installed and holy poo poo. Shifting and power delivery have so much less slop, it's a bit shocking. I kinda like the vibration..

JBR 70 - which is why I was surprised it was so harsh with the A/C on.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hit an Apex posted:

JBR 70 - which is why I was surprised it was so harsh with the A/C on.

Huh. I've got the 88 and it's not intolerable. The difference it made in how the car feels is totally worth it right now. I'll report back after I get stuck in traffic.

Also ordered the jbr stage 2 intake.

edit: I'm researching the TIP install and now I'm paranoid about breaking the EBCS nipple. What's the safest way to remove it, a light cut using a razor blade? Maybe I should order a backup EBCS before I install just in case.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 11, 2014

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Google Butt posted:

Huh. I've got the 88 and it's not intolerable. The difference it made in how the car feels is totally worth it right now. I'll report back after I get stuck in traffic.

Also ordered the jbr stage 2 intake.

edit: I'm researching the TIP install and now I'm paranoid about breaking the EBCS nipple. What's the safest way to remove it, a light cut using a razor blade? Maybe I should order a backup EBCS before I install just in case.

I am doing the same thing next week. I am going to douse it in WD-40 and then do some razor blade action.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hit an Apex posted:

I am doing the same thing next week. I am going to douse it in WD-40 and then do some razor blade action.

Yeah, looks like the best way is to gently make a vertical slice on the hose and gently pull straight up. I've read that a warm engine bay helps.

I'm still thinking I might just order the Cobb EBCS for $115 just in case. Going to run it in 2-port mode, of course.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 11, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Got the clutch replaced on my 3 and holy crap is this how my car drove 8 years ago when it was new?! I can't even remember. It feels so different now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did you use a Mazda clutch or aftermarket? I guess my clutch has always had a weird engagement but I didn't realize it for a long time because I was driving a WRX with a heavy clutch before anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I drive auto now, but when I drove stick and did a clutch replacement -- all of twice I guess -- there was always that moment of :stonk: I THINK I FORGOT HOW TO STICK :stonk:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Did you use a Mazda clutch or aftermarket?
OEM

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
What's the hivemind consensus on replacement sparkplugs for the MS3? My brother's is about to hit 60,000 miles and is (AFAIK) still running on the factory plugs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I cleaned my MAF for the first time a few weeks ago. About 43K. I was amazed at the difference, it felt like it did right after I installed the intake.
Thanks for this reminder, by the way. No idea if it's ever been done on my car so I cleaned it today at ~93,000. No idea if the MAF sensor was terribly dirty since you can't really see it, but the IAT sensor was black. According to the instructions that I followed here, that's not a good thing! Hopefully my 3 is in tip top shape now.

Is there any other stuff I should pay attention to that isn't in the Mazda service schedule? I've mostly just followed that but stuff like MAF sensor cleaning sorta seems like tribal knowledge and I know dick about car maintenance. Thanks again.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I went to install an Aux-In cable in the 6 after almost 3 years of being lazy about it. Pulled out the cupholders and found this

The cable was unfortunately cut.
A replacement from the manufacturer is $45, found something on Ebay for $35. Is there an option I'm missing for this

To 30 pin Ipod? For cheap?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Has anyone disabled their SWAS? Saw some threads on msf about it, and I wouldn't mind having having all my power at my disposal when turning out of driveways and whatnot. Just seen a couple people saying it might do weird stuff to the traction control.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

What's the hivemind consensus on replacement sparkplugs for the MS3? My brother's is about to hit 60,000 miles and is (AFAIK) still running on the factory plugs.

I'll recommend against the Autolite Iridiums because I have a nagging feeling (traded before I bothered doing anything about it) that they may have been the actual cause of the misfire under load I got on my '07. It didn't dawn on me until months after I got into the CR-V that I don't think I had the misfire even with 60k on the first set of plugs I installed. I cannot remember for the life of me if I went with Densos or NGKs on that first set, but it was one of those two.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 14, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat, it's pretty much an s-video cable minus a tab. Found one for cheap on ebay, hopefully it works.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Google Butt posted:

Has anyone disabled their SWAS? Saw some threads on msf about it, and I wouldn't mind having having all my power at my disposal when turning out of driveways and whatnot. Just seen a couple people saying it might do weird stuff to the traction control.

I think you just hold down the stability button (so the light stays on) for a while and it has the same effect.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hit an Apex posted:

I think you just hold down the stability button (so the light stays on) for a while and it has the same effect.

It doesn't unfortunately, at least in the gen 1.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Google Butt posted:

I know when my friend broke a wheel speed sensor it disabled the ABS AND all those fancy systems including traction control and the 1st & 2nd gear power reduction thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hit an Apex posted:

Stage 2 intake

:ssj: Goddamn you, Gran Turismo.

opengl128 posted:

If this is a common thing then it sure would seem like your filter isn't doing a great job. I assume you're using an aftermarket oiled filter?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

If this is a common thing then it sure would seem like your filter isn't doing a great job. I assume you're using an aftermarket oiled filter?

Corksport recommends you clean you MAF after a set number of miles, every 5K i think, if you use their SIR intake.

Edit: I keep a can of this in the garage. It's two bolts and the MAF lifts right out, not a hard job at all.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-Mass-air-flow-sensor-cleaner/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=36011

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 16, 2014

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Larrymer posted:

I thought it was the stupidest thing when I got my first Speed 4 years ago, but hours and hours on MSF have conditioned me to it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sorry for asking this again, but I just want to confirm that installing an intake and inlet pipe is safe on a gen 1 with no tune and stock internals.

I did a few more hours of research on msf last night. Came across a few threads where people had run into CEL's and fuel pump issues with just the intake and tip, especially when cold, but they were mostly 2nd gen owners. It appears that people are forgetting to reset ECU as well, I'm not knowledgeable enough know what problems that would cause, though.

I'd love to hear my turbo and gain some hp, but I want to be confident that I'm not taking an unnecessary risk.

Fuel pump internals are in my future, but not without a way monitor fuel pressure. I'll probably end up getting that ultra gauge and HPFP internals until I can afford an AP.

Perhaps I should hold off on installing the SRI/TIP until I get that gauge?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 16, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

You'll be fine with those. HPFP internals don't come into play until you're thinking about DP/AP, because the internals are a prerequisite knowing you run a huge risk of zoom zoom boom without them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

air- posted:

You'll be fine with those. HPFP internals don't come into play until you're thinking about DP/AP, because the internals are a prerequisite knowing you run a huge risk of zoom zoom boom without them.

Cool, I'm still excited then!

Is an OBD2 adapter and that Torque android app good enough to reliably monitor fuel pressure?

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I use that combo to monitor AF ratios and fuel pressure. I've had the Corksport intake and inlet pipe for about 5k miles now on a second gen, and I haven't ever seen anything go outside of safe ranges.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Sorry for asking this again, but I just want to confirm that installing an intake and inlet pipe is safe on a gen 1 with no tune and stock internals.

I did a few more hours of research on msf last night. Came across a few threads where people had run into CEL's and fuel pump issues with just the intake and tip, especially when cold, but they were mostly 2nd gen owners. It appears that people are forgetting to reset ECU as well, I'm not knowledgeable enough know what problems that would cause, though.

I'd love to hear my turbo and gain some hp, but I want to be confident that I'm not taking an unnecessary risk.

Fuel pump internals are in my future, but not without a way monitor fuel pressure. I'll probably end up getting that ultra gauge and HPFP internals until I can afford an AP.

Perhaps I should hold off on installing the SRI/TIP until I get that gauge?

You're fine. I had an intake as my first mod. In fact, it's considered one of the first mods a new owner should do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh poo poo, there's a Mazda6 wagon for sale sort of nearby for cheap as hell. Did we ever figure out if the AWD system from the MS6 can be swapped over?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I've been reading on the MSF that the stock tune can contribute to a blown motors in the gen 1. The Stratified guy seems pretty adamant that the best way to improve the reliability is good driving habits, proper maintenance and ditching the stock tune. That blown engine resource thread is pretty frightening, makes this motor seem like a ticking time bomb.. stock cars along with lightly modded cars blowing up. I'm wondering which is more to blame, stock tune or bad driving habits? Is it all blown (lol) out of proportion?

Edit: After even more reading, I think doing the SRI/TIP first is not the way to go, oops. I'll be buying the HPFP internals, using Torque to monitor my fuel pressure until a used v2 AP pops up.

If anyone is interested in a brand spankin' new JBR Stage 2 intake and Grimmspeed EBCS send me a PM.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 18, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I've been reading on the MSF that the stock tune can contribute to a blown motors in the gen 1. The Stratified guy seems pretty adamant that the best way to improve the reliability is good driving habits, proper maintenance and ditching the stock tune. That blown engine resource thread is pretty frightening, makes this motor seem like a ticking time bomb.. stock cars along with lightly modded cars blowing up. I'm wondering which is more to blame, stock tune or bad driving habits? Is it all blown (lol) out of proportion?

How old are we talking as far as these threads are going? Keep in mind regarding the maturity of the platform. Outside of hydrolock, I have never heard of anyone blowing up an engine with just an intake, it's usually the point when they add exhaust mods. The downpipe is the next power mod after the intake since it delivers good bang for the buck, except a lot of folks found out the hard way that you shouldn't go installing one with no internals/AP.

e: I had completely forgotten about this, I know you had asked for some similar guidance
http://www.edgeautosport.com/mazdaspeed-3-6-modification-guide-2006-to-current/

air- fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't really know yes or no but some people might be parroting the advice given on Subaru forums. Some of the stock turbo tunes had problems, iirc.