Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i didn't mean it as some ms thing more like 'how do we upgrade this without pissing off a lot of people' is a really fuckin painful question to answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

good lord. migrate that poo poo, it will run on anything with enough storage and migrating the config DB is trivial

we're killing it soon, everything is going to be 2012r2

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

any business running sbs 2003 deserves to have it break. gently caress that poo poo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

anyone have a link to the non technical woman or childe post

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Caged posted:

any business running sbs 2003 deserves to have it break. gently caress that poo poo.

we run it

I don't touch it, it continues to work

I'm happy with this arrangement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i fired a client because they outright refused to replace their creaky, half-broken server 2003 server and xp workstations

don't need that poo poo, and it turns out businesses that cheap don't make for good clients either, whoda thunk it?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it looks like microsoft is now back peddling on the "devices and services" classification

quote:

More recently, we have described ourselves as a 'devices and services' company. While the devices and services description was helpful in starting our transformation, we now need to hone in on our unique strategy.

At our core, Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world. We will reinvent productivity to empower every person and every organization on the planet to do more and achieve more.

again i gotta comment on the wordy elusiveness. they are trying to veil something here. you get that sense even before they say anything of substance. i think that makes it even worse.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Put a platform on every mobile and in every cloud.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
there i did it 4 u micro$haft give me 100000000000000000000 million dolars

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if they're mobile first, cloud first and all about productivity, how does the xbox fit?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

if they're mobile first, cloud first and all about productivity, how does the xbox fit?

remember how xbox is now "in the cloud"?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PleasureKevin posted:

"it's just like jacking off into the matrix" --ken kutaragi

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

for real though this isn't a change in anything other than the messaging. "mobile" equates to "devices" because the former depends entirely on the latter, while "cloud" translates to "services" becaus ewhat the gently caress else do you use a cloud for?

gregday
May 23, 2003

nice to see stacy has absorbed balmer's power after cutting off his head

pram
Jun 10, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

for real though this isn't a change in anything other than the messaging. "mobile" equates to "devices" because the former depends entirely on the latter, while "cloud" translates to "services" becaus ewhat the gently caress else do you use a cloud for?

the Cloud is the Mobile

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i think the cloud is in my butt because *farrrts*

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
there were just tiny poo poo speckles in my cloud i delivered

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

e: aaaaaaaaaaand thought better of it

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 11, 2014

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

if they're mobile first, butt first and all about productivity, how does the xbox fit?

I also want to share some additional thoughts on Xbox and its importance to Microsoft.

As a large company, I think it's critical to define the core, but it's important to make smart choices on other businesses in which we can have fundamental impact and success. The single biggest digital life category, measured in both time and money spent, in a mobile-first world is gaming.

We are fortunate to have Xbox in our family to go after this opportunity with unique and bold innovation. Microsoft will continue to vigorously innovate and delight gamers with Xbox. Xbox is one of the most-revered consumer brands, with a growing online community and service, and a raving fan base. We also benefit from many technologies flowing from our gaming efforts into our productivity efforts - core graphics and NUI in Windows, speech recognition in Skype, camera technology in Kinect for Windows, Azure butt enhancements for GPU simulation and many more.

Bottom line, we will continue to innovate and grow our fan base with Xbox while also creating additive business value for Microsoft.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

Xbox is one of the most-revered consumer brands
uhh lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
"...when asked among question groups of 7 year olds when asked "Would you rather play atari or xbox?""

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Azure butt enhancements

:liara:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PleasureKevin posted:

again i gotta comment on the wordy elusiveness. they are trying to veil something here. you get that sense even before they say anything of substance. i think that makes it even worse.
oooh, theyre going to reinvent productivity!

under gates msft had one of the clearest and most focused corporate vision statements of all time: a computer on every desk and in every home, running msft software. and they did just that. now they're going to reinvent productivity to further empower a cloud-first world. what pisstrash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Bottom line, we will continue to innovate and grow our fan base with Xbox while also creating additive business value for Microsoft.

translation: please, someone, buy xbox

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i think that microsoft has an opening right now that they could exploit to sell appliance-like home servers as a platform-agnostic "personal cloud", which would let them get windows in there as the glue that binds disparate services and ecosystems together, but they're not smart enough to execute

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the verge is also reporting it as "dropping" the devices focus.

Nadella says "nothing is off the table in how we think about shifting our culture to deliver on this core strategy,"

While Nadella might be dropping the devices and services moniker, that won’t directly impact products like Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone just yet.

it's like that abusive boyfriend who will do ANYTHING for his girlfriend (except stop drinking)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

i think that microsoft has an opening right now that they could exploit to sell appliance-like home servers as a platform-agnostic "personal cloud", which would let them get windows in there as the glue that binds disparate services and ecosystems together, but they're not smart enough to execute

you mean like Windows Home Server? they did that with at least 5 hardware partners already. i believe i remember commercials for it too. anyway, it's dead now.

but really? a personal cloud? what's the value prop here? the ROI?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

yeah they already tried this and it was a disaster because they were so afraid that small businesses would buy them instead of SBS they were completely hobbled then had features removed through updates, etc.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PleasureKevin posted:

you mean like Windows Home Server? they did that with at least 5 hardware partners already. i believe i remember commercials for it too. anyway, it's dead now.

nil

the selling point is "your own personal cloud at home", and it'll show someone on a Microsoft Surface RT and someone on a Windows 8 Laptop Product working side by each on a spreadsheet in the livingroom while a small dog bounces at their feet

idiots will see it and say "yes i like cloud storage and i like being at home"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if only there was some way to bring the existing cloud into the home... ?

is it as much fun to "be your own cloud" as it is to "be your own bank"? weird that it takes less GPUs to run your own loving cloud...

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PleasureKevin posted:

is it as much fun to "be your own cloud" as it is to "be your own bank"? weird that it takes less GPUs to run your own loving cloud...

the what now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the problem with selling home servers is that the stuff they're best for isn't things you can really talk about in an ad, it would probably cause some problems if MS was all "store your ripped DVDs and downloaded movies/TV in one place then stream them to any device" in an ad

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
and now, finally, your personal home cloud... is online

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

the problem with selling home servers is that the stuff they're best for isn't things you can really talk about in an ad, it would probably cause some problems if MS was all "store your ripped DVDs and downloaded movies/TV in one place then stream them to any device" in an ad

"Store your Linux ISO's and stream them to any device at 1080p quality."

I wonder how long you could get away with something like that before getting angry letters from Stallman and/or Torvalds.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PleasureKevin posted:

Now YOU control the cloud

Not sure about the security and sharing options? Confused by the policy on data retention? Unsure about uploading your data to a server you can't actually see? No problem. Your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT system belongs* to you, so you decide where your information goes and when.

Local Cloud Means Fast

Uploading content to any cloud sevice relies on the upload speed limits of your residential Internet connection, which are usually measured in tens of megabits per second and can fluctuate due to circumstances beyond your control. Transferring files to and from your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT moves at lightning speed through your home, at speeds approaching 10,000 megabits per second.

Local Cloud Means Free

Your residential Internet connection may limit the amount of information you can transfer in a month, and even a modest cloud storage account can run you over this limit and incur heavy fees from your provider. Moving your files, music and media to or from your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT system is absolutely 100% free to you**.

Local Cloud Means Secure

Microsoft Cloud Storage (TM) is secured with the best technology available, but there is still a small possibility that your passwords could be stolen by other insecure programs on your computer and used to access your data on our severs without your knowledge. Your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT System sits safely inside your home, inaccessible to the Internet*** and secure**** from threats in a way that Internet-based services just can't allow.

i can do this all day

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

when i think "local cloud" i think "gas leak/osha violation/dead bodies"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

qirex posted:

yeah they already tried this and it was a disaster because they were so afraid that small businesses would buy them instead of SBS they were completely hobbled then had features removed through updates, etc.

i'll write up what i think could be a working strat later (emphasis on personal video and photo backup, privacy, etc. in a device that's boiled to the essentials with an appliance-like shell) i am definitely aware that thet've tried and hosed it up.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

whenever you're home any photos and video you've taken are quietly backed and, optionally, removed from the device. great for people with cheaper phones that have less storage. automatically pool and sort photos and poo poo across platforms. link branding to onedrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it would need to be a low-end device, not a full server solution. if the word "server" ever enters into the equation then it's all hosed up

• Locked thread