Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

SRM posted:

I need to paint 6 more DV bikes to finish my Dark Angels army. Said bikes have been sitting around assembled but unpainted since November.

Lungboy posted:

I'm painting a DV bike at the moment and I'm hating it due to the amount of inaccessible detail and the fact that the scale seems ever so slightly off.

I've just about finished my DV bike squad and the sergeant is causing me grief. To avoid the inaccessible detail problem, I thought it'd be sensible to assemble him after painting.

Whoops. Well, that was a mistake - there's now a respectable gap between his torso and right arm because the loving handlebars won't align when there's a (thin) layer of paint on the wing-thingies. Even the studio model has the front end misaligned, they just disguised it by painting part of the normally red boltgun furnishings with metallics. :arghfist::reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Nichol posted:

Sure but it makes a lot of sense, future space armies-wise. Even modern combat is almost exclusively contested at range, in comparison to mediaeval warfare (see: shooting less effective in whfb). And even so, melee units can be very effective, but fluff-wise consider the "reality" of a horde of works charging enough shooting to kill them all before they get into cc. Lots of orkses are going to get shredded.

Basically play whfb if you want to swing axen. Space guns>swords.

I can play Infinity if I want to just pew-pew at other future dudes (In fact, I do). 40k the sort of sci-fi that takes after Dune in that warfare has gone full circle and melee is actually a thing again. Hell, pretty much every HQ that is not Tau is a close-combat beast instead of an artillery officer or the guy with the heaviest projectile weapon.

Going back to my little pro/cons list, it has big holes, granted. I forgot that assault can lock target units out of shooting, for instance, or that shooting lets you assess results of earlier shooting and commit more units, as someone pointed out.

It's still a big gap, however, especially when you consider how much riskier and more resource-intensive assault is. Want your cc unit to make it there? You'll likely need an expensive assault vehicle, or a honking big unit to soak up losses. Shooty units just need a perch with good visibility and cover and they are pulling trigger from turn 1. That's also why I added Prescience as a plus to shooting and not so much to melee: firepower can benefit from it 5+ turns, as there'll pretty much always be target. Melee units will spend time in transit, inside transports, and might get to enjoy their re-rolls for one, maybe two turns each game, and that's if you managed to keep a psyker nearby, which is way easier to do with a ranged unit.

Dropping this can of worms, though, has there been any info on the new 40k campaign supplement?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

When I look at SM lists and I realize that their model count for an entire army is less than the amount of boys I need for one good unit, I cry on the inside.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Speckled Jim posted:

I had planned on painting my predator chassis tonight, but since I knocked it over while the primer was wet and subsequently covered it in fingerprints, I finished up my bike squad instead.

These guys took me so long. The thought of painting the riders is too much to bare for now. Still, im pleased with the result. Love how the little computer screens turned out. Had to set myself up with a full range of greens just to paint those little buggers

This is some really great painting that yellow looks perfect.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Speckled Jim posted:

I had planned on painting my predator chassis tonight, but since I knocked it over while the primer was wet and subsequently covered it in fingerprints, I finished up my bike squad instead.

Well done on the Yellow. Incidently, what do you do to remove the fingerprints? Simple green, I assume. I have a couple models that I need to address this situation on.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

waah posted:

When I look at SM lists and I realize that their model count for an entire army is less than the amount of boys I need for one good unit, I cry on the inside.

14 points per basic marine. 40 points per terminator. When you compare that to, what, 6 point boyz with choppaz and sluggaz?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm about to rebuild my PC, was going through some of my old files, and found this from early 2005:

:allears: Memories of simpler times...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone happen to know if the new HQs in the Stormclaw box will be available separately once Stormclaw is sold out?

VVV That's what I'm thinking. It should make them pretty sellable, and the boxed set a good money spinner to split and sell.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 11, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Does anyone happen to know if the new HQs in the Stormclaw box will be available separately once Stormclaw is sold out?

I'll venture a guess based on the AoBR and DV box sets and say probably not. The Interrogator-Chaplain, Company Master and Chaos Lord guys aren't available as-is. The whole 'limited edition' thing sells pretty well.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
A few of the guys at my FLGS have decided to give me one concession for Tyranids. Basically, they're letting me use Mycetic Spores again. However, rather than using the old codex rules, we used the rumor that was going to supposedly happen. In that you take a spore as wargear, it allows you to deep strike and reduce scatter, but it leaves no spore model behind. We pointed this at 35 points. I played three games over the last week using them and it seriously balanced them out. Being able to deep strike makes a huge difference in how the army operates. I still lost two of the three games, but the games were close and fun all three times.

My list was:

Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x TL Devourers
Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x TL Devourers

Termagant Brood - x15 - x15 devourers - mycetic spore
Termagant Brood - x15 - x15 devourers - mycetic spore

Venomthrope Brood - x2 venomthropes
Zoanthrope Brood - x2 Zoanthropes - Mycetic Spore
Zoanthrope Brood - x2 Zoanthropes - Mycetic Spore

Carnifex - 2x TL Devourer - Adrenal Glands - Mycetic Spore

Skysheild Landing Platform

The platform and the zoanthropes were to keep the Hive Tyrants alive while they waited for the others to arrive. It was brutal and effective. It has cemented my opinion that the biggest hit that Tyranids took with their new codex was losing the spore.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
When is Forgeworld going to finally roll out Iron Warrior heads and torsos? Fists have them already, so it could be any day. I want to make sure I'm using the best heads and torsos for my sergeants, damnit.

Speckled Jim posted:

These guys took me so long. The thought of painting the riders is too much to bare for now. Still, im pleased with the result. Love how the little computer screens turned out. Had to set myself up with a full range of greens just to paint those little buggers

I really like your yellow and your shading looks drat great. I bet it took forever with all the layers, but it looks really ace!

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

koreban posted:

Well done on the Yellow. Incidently, what do you do to remove the fingerprints? Simple green, I assume. I have a couple models that I need to address this situation on.

I havnt had to do it before. Im thinking I'll let it dry then sand those ares with a very fine sandpaper. Could work and if it doesnt i can always strip it with somethng. So frustrating. The predator was one of the first models I got and I was saving it until id had some practice, so I could do a really good job.

BULBASAUR posted:

I really like your yellow and your shading looks drat great. I bet it took forever with all the layers, but it looks really ace!
Funnily enough the shading was one of the faster parts. Painting all that silver by hand was the most time consuming.

Speckled Jim fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 11, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

OneTrueBru posted:

I thought it'd be sensible to assemble him after painting.

Whoops. Well, that was a mistake - there's now a respectable gap between his torso and right arm because the loving handlebars won't align when there's a (thin) layer of paint on the wing-thingies.
If you want to avoid getting paint on some parts, like joint areas, a good idea is to use undiluted PVA glue as masking fluid. After you're done just use a sharp knife tip to lift and remove it. Works like a charm.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Devlann Mud and I came up with the best idea for an Ork total conversion army:

:911: SEZ: Throw out the Warboss model
Glue the squig to his base. This is my Warlord
gently caress you I have a power klaw. In my stomach.

:emo: SEZ: I ate da boss
Now I's da boss
A mangler squig with a klaw sticking out of the mouth

:911: SEZ: Warboss is still punching and krumpin' from inside the squig
Will take a while before the stomach acid gits 'im
Squig with a Big Mek arm sticking out of his mouth piloting a Gorkonaut
Entire army of orks-eaten-by-squigs

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So a video for the Stormclaw Sanctus Reach set came out, and it has a shot in it where we can see what looks like the new industrial Realm of Battle boards that have been leaked and talked about here and there:

Video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqsrESScR0U
And there's an explosion at the end that absolutely kills me, I love it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It really looks like he used a airbrush on the main body of the bikes then went over it with a light color of brown and then focused it in some parts.

Am I correct on that?

I don't airbrush but for people that do , do you prefer airbrushing or painting? Airbrushing seems you could get some interesting fades and colours that you wouldn't with brushing.

Dunno how you'd airbrush something that is super small though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have learned to love the airbrush. Especially if you have a simple scheme, you can get really striking results for very little painting time, even on small mans. Zenthial Priming is just cheating.

... but I end up taking forever because I have multiple colors with multiple stages- so I end up masking off lots of tiny bits which takes many hours when you are doing 15+ models

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Oh bloody hell. Industrial realm of battle boards? I can hear my wallet screaming.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What does the Ork Waagh! supplement give you over the basic codex?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What does the Ork Waagh! supplement give you over the basic codex?

The main thing is the formations available, several of which are really good. The actual supplement itself is pretty lackluster.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So I guess I'm fighting Horus this weekend, I'm using a few proxied models so what actually exists isnt an issue, but im trying to keep to the models I have. 30k goons, what would you change?

HQ (305pts)
Magos Prime (305pts)
Abeyant (25pts), Archmagos Prime (35pts) (Relentless), Cortex Controller (15pts), Cyber-familiar (15pts), 2x Cyber-occularis (30pts), Djinn-skein (25pts), Graviton Imploder (25pts) Mastercraft a single weapon(5pts), Macrotek (20pts), Melta Bombs (5pts), Rad Grenades (10pts)

Troops (905pts)
Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (315pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (315pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)

Thallax Cohort (275pts)
2x Phased-Plasma Fusil (20pts), 6x Thallax (240pts)

Elites (160pts)
Tech-Priest Auxillia (160pts)
5x Heavy Bolter (75pts), 5x Servo-automata (25pts)
Adept (35pts)
Battlesmith
Cortex Controller (15pts), Lacyraemarta (*)

Heavy Support (1130pts)
Krios Battle Tank Squadron (150pts)
Krios (150pts)
Upgrade to Krios Venator Tank Destroyer (25pts)

Myrmidon Destructors (500pts)
4x Myrmidon Destructor (140pts),4x Graviton Imploder (140pts), Triaros Armoured Conveyor (135pts)
Myrmidon Lord (35pts)
Graviton Imploder (35pts)

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple (480pts)
2x Thanatar (480pts)

Archmagos rides with the Destructors, float a cyber occularis near the thanatar and the other somewhere else (havnt decided yet)

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

It really looks like he used a airbrush on the main body of the bikes then went over it with a light color of brown and then focused it in some parts.

Am I correct on that?

I don't airbrush but for people that do , do you prefer airbrushing or painting? Airbrushing seems you could get some interesting fades and colours that you wouldn't with brushing.

Dunno how you'd airbrush something that is super small though.

I have an airbrush but I'm still learning to use it. It's a completely different technique and I haven't mastered it in the same way as I have traditional brush work.

That said I now airbrush the base coats but then do the rest with brushes. When I start painting tyranids I'm going to try airbrushing the lot.

With the right pressure and the right airbrush you can target a very very small area.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I have learned to love the airbrush. Especially if you have a simple scheme, you can get really striking results for very little painting time, even on small mans. Zenthial Priming is just cheating.

... but I end up taking forever because I have multiple colors with multiple stages- so I end up masking off lots of tiny bits which takes many hours when you are doing 15+ models

The next time you're up here I'd like you to help me airbrush my titan.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

So a video for the Stormclaw Sanctus Reach set came out...

Is there a price on this yet? If the box provides a decent enough discount on it, that will be pretty amazing. Just put together a bunch of little two player boxes with unique characters and go nuts!

EDIT: It's 125... not too bad, but just out of my price range unless I can find someone who wants the wolves.

EDIT2: The ork stuff alone comes out to 110. That's actually a pretty decent deal if you can flip the other half of the set! Buying everything by itself is 250ish!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 12, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's really disappointing that Stormclaw is limited edition. Aww well, at least I know a guy that will take the Ork stuff.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

So I guess I'm fighting Horus this weekend, I'm using a few proxied models so what actually exists isnt an issue, but im trying to keep to the models I have. 30k goons, what would you change?

Some random suggestions:

300 points for an HQ is way too expensive. In the land of 30k org chart, where you have 3 HQs and 4 elites and lots of high strength firepower, I’d probably get x2 150 point Magos Primes or the cheaper 75point Dominus. Basically you want to spread that sweet cortex controller love across the board. Rad Grenades are not worth it and Cyber-occularis should be taken on a unit that is marching up the board and not sitting back and shooting. If you can get a few cheap HQs to run in a mob of thralls screening your Castellax, that would be ideal.

As for Castellax, those are better as face punchers and are great at killing marines- your main enemy- so I would probably drop the darkfirecannons and grab x2 flamers instead. If you want them to be shooty then they need the targeting computer thing. Thallax are good deep strikers- consider multi-melts and breaking them up into 2 units. Deep strike those bad boys behind a predator squadron and then ruin its day.

That leaves you dealing with enemy armor. The Krios battle tanks are great options here, since they can put up to 4 pens on most Legion Vehicles or Primarchs. I would focus on those and Thantar, since they are going to be your area control and high strength shooting at range. Get as many as you can since you can put the hurt on enemy primarchs and their bodyguards.

500 points for destructors is crazy expensive and their range is good enough to not need a transport. I would look at grabbing some more big nasty high strength shooting from your lords of war slot, or just filling your roster out with a poo poo ton of Krios and Thanatars. Another Primarch hunting option would be a few Castellax with the Paragon of Steel upgrade.

When playing your opponent is going to try their best to ram a Primarch down your throat- your Castellax blobs are great tarpits for blocking one of those. Whatever you end up doing, you should totally report results when you are done. I have never run a full AdMech list before so I am mentally masterbating to the high strength shooting slugfest you are about to embark upon :allears:

panascope posted:

The next time you're up here I'd like you to help me airbrush my titan.

Done deal dude

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 12, 2014

Ramuv
Nov 1, 2012
Hey does anyone know where there is a battlescribe ork repository for the new codex? I can't seem to locate one. If one had been posted here earlier I missed it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Just a heads up that AdMech list is missing a Troops, Castellax are non-compulsory.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Ramuv posted:

Hey does anyone know where there is a battlescribe ork repository for the new codex? I can't seem to locate one. If one had been posted here earlier I missed it.

http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repos

This is the best, most up to date, repository.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Just a heads up that AdMech list is missing a Troops, Castellax are non-compulsory.

Macrotek makes Auxillia troops, and with them able to take a cortex controller it was too conveniant not to take.

BULBASAUR posted:

Some random suggestions:

Bulbasaur: I was worried that I was taking too many darkfire cannons, but I like the idea of melta thallax, with the Venator I probably wont need more AT. Rad and melta bombs were solely because I was 15 points short and had no idea what else to take, but freeing 120 points of darkfire cannons means I have a lot of room. Occularis are for interceptor, Horus doesnt scatter so im expecting him to deep strike him, plus it can give the +1 bs from djinn skein via the skull. The 18" range on the grav imploders made me decide on the party bus, since horus and justerian are all 2+ and the worst I will be wounding is on a 3+ against the regular marines it seemed like a solid idea.
I have no lords of war for Admech. Unsure where to go with those spare points though, I'll also drop the abyent since hes going with the destructors anyways.
E: Decided on another castellax splitting them into units of 3, 2, and 2. Think destructor is worth the time on the thallax?

Current Iteration:
HQ (265pts)
Magos Prime (265pts)
Archmagos Prime (35pts) (Relentless), Cortex Controller (15pts), Cyber-familiar (15pts), 2x Cyber-occularis (30pts) Djinn-skein (25pts), Graviton Imploder (25pts), Macrotek (20pts), Mastercraft a single weapon (5pts)

Troops (945pts)
Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (255pts)
Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts)

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (170pts)
Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts)

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (170pts)
Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts)

Thallax Cohort (175pts)
Destructor (25pts) (*), Multi-melta (15pts), 3x Thallax (120pts)

Thallax Cohort (175pts)
Destructor (25pts) (*), Multi-melta (15pts), 3x Thallax (120pts)

Elites (160pts)
Tech-Priest Auxillia (160pts)
5x Heavy Bolter (75pts), 5x Servo-automata (25pts)
Adept (35pts)
Battlesmith
Cortex Controller (15pts), Lacyraemarta (*)

Heavy Support (1130pts)
Krios Battle Tank Squadron (150pts)
Krios (150pts)
Upgrade to Krios Venator Tank Destroyer (25pts)

Myrmidon Destructors (500pts)
4x Myrmidon Destructor (140pts),4x Graviton Imploder (140pts), Triaros Armoured Conveyor (135pts)
Myrmidon Lord (35pts)
Graviton Imploder (35pts)

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple (480pts)
2x Thanatar (480pts)

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 12, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Some random suggestions:

300 points for an HQ is way too expensive. In the land of 30k org chart, where you have 3 HQs and 4 elites and lots of high strength firepower, I’d probably get x2 150 point Magos Primes or the cheaper 75point Dominus. Basically you want to spread that sweet cortex controller love across the board. Rad Grenades are not worth it and Cyber-occularis should be taken on a unit that is marching up the board and not sitting back and shooting. If you can get a few cheap HQs to run in a mob of thralls screening your Castellax, that would be ideal.

As for Castellax, those are better as face punchers and are great at killing marines- your main enemy- so I would probably drop the darkfirecannons and grab x2 flamers instead. If you want them to be shooty then they need the targeting computer thing. Thallax are good deep strikers- consider multi-melts and breaking them up into 2 units. Deep strike those bad boys behind a predator squadron and then ruin its day.

That leaves you dealing with enemy armor. The Krios battle tanks are great options here, since they can put up to 4 pens on most Legion Vehicles or Primarchs. I would focus on those and Thantar, since they are going to be your area control and high strength shooting at range. Get as many as you can since you can put the hurt on enemy primarchs and their bodyguards.

500 points for destructors is crazy expensive and their range is good enough to not need a transport. I would look at grabbing some more big nasty high strength shooting from your lords of war slot, or just filling your roster out with a poo poo ton of Krios and Thanatars. Another Primarch hunting option would be a few Castellax with the Paragon of Steel upgrade.

When playing your opponent is going to try their best to ram a Primarch down your throat- your Castellax blobs are great tarpits for blocking one of those. Whatever you end up doing, you should totally report results when you are done. I have never run a full AdMech list before so I am mentally masterbating to the high strength shooting slugfest you are about to embark upon :allears:

Done deal dude

Do you have any pics? I can't ever tell unless it's obvious what's airbrushed and what's not i know there are some loving crazy insane Airbrushed Eldar Vehicles though.

My mistake this is in fact not airbrushed model, these are not my stuff of course.

This is though

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 12, 2014

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So, Esser-Z and I got in a Vassal game today, 2k points, his Farsight list against my Iyanden list. This was one of his first few games of 40k and I think our real question was how should you play the all-crisis suit list? He had decent amounts of shooting but really couldn't survive the return fire - he managed to kill a wraithknight that refused to make any armor saves (failed 6 out of 7) and blew up a wave serpent with Farsight in close combat, but by the bottom of turn 2 I had killed all but 4 Crisis suits, 2 of the 3 broadsides, his allied commander and almost all of his drones.

Our lists for comparison:

Eldar
Spiritseer, attached to Wraithblades
Warlock, attached to Rangers
5x Wraithguard w/ D Scythes in Wave Serpent
5x Wraithguard in Wave Serpent
5x Wraithblades in Wave Serpent
5x Rangers
Crimson Hunter
3x Vyper with 2x Shuriken Cannon
Wraithlord w/ bright lance, flamers
Wraithknight w/ suncannon, scatter laser
Fire Prism

Tau
Farsight, attached to Crisis squad
Riptide w/ ion cannon, 2 drones
Ripdide w/ ion cannon, 2 drones
3x Crisis w/ Missile/plasma, each w/ marker + shield drone
3x Crisis w/ Missile/plasma, each w/ marker + shield drone
Crisis w/ dual fusion, marker + shield
Broadside w/ railgun + shield drone
Broadside w/ railgun + shield drone
Broadside w/ missles and more missiles + shield drone
Allied:
Commander w/ 2x flamers
3x Crisis Squad w/ 2x flamers, marker + shield drone

The crisis suits just seemed really flimsy, even with all the drone ablatives. Suggestions?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

A goon after my own heart :allears: There were some really great old dioramas back in the day, with painted backgrounds on a 2D plane like that. I miss those an awful lot, even if I don't think they'd work as well with the modern aesthetic.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Direwolf posted:

The crisis suits just seemed really flimsy, even with all the drone ablatives. Suggestions?

Crisis Suits versus Wraithcannon as your basic weapon does seem like a rough matchup, if you had bolters or shuricats on your troops choices maybe it'd be different?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Do you have any pics? I can't ever tell unless it's obvious what's airbrushed and what's not i know there are some loving crazy insane Airbrushed Eldar Vehicles though.

Airbrushed or Painted?
Painted---!

Airbrushed or Painted?
Airbrushed!

Airbrushed or Painted?
Painted---!

Airbrushed or Painted?
Airbrushed!

Airbrushed or Painted?
FuckIfIknow!

Airbrushed or Painted?
Airbrushed!

Airbrushed or Painted?
Airbrushed!

Airbrushed or Painted?
Painted---!

Bottom line: it's hard to tell sometimes, because it depends on how you paint. Airbrushes are great for basecoats, thin crisp layers, highlights, and blending. Brushes are better for textures, details, fancy designs, and lots of control. I use both because frankly some things are easier with a brush and others better with an airbrush. Some painters just really push one of the unique areas, which makes it easier to spot.

Here are 5 of my test models from when I was learning to paint. Left most is oldest and right most is newest. I used an airbrush on my last 2 models. It's probably less apparent to spot than when I started using oil washes (from the third model onward) where you can tell that a ton of contrast was added to the model.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The blending of colours is what really strikes me with airbrushing, I dunno I got like 6 of those right. I tried airbrushing but I could never get it quiet right. I am thinking of seriously trying it out for my Necrons, because I want to do kind of a Apple / Ipodish paint scheme and that off white for some reason slays me.

That blue specifically with Marines looks amazing to me, I love that look. I just don't know if i'd be skilled enough to pull something like that off.

I dunno I love my Necrons but man the paint job I did a basic silver , as I am not that good makes me sad.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 12, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those ultras are probably the easiest color scheme on there- just 2-3 blues layered on top of each other. Then some washes in the recesses and the other colors. If you can prime a model with a can of primer, you can use an airbrush to get those kinds of effects.

You already have an army, which is way more than I can say. Don't be scared to slow down and push yourself a little. Take 10 guys and paint them one at a time- trying new things and tweaking your technique until you are happy enough with it. Sure you will fail a few times, but trying new things is how you get better.

It's how I learned to paint:

It took me 12 trys:

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

I have never and probably will never buy anything 40k that is "scratch built" off Ebay because there's always a lack of quality and a slapped together aesthetic that you just can't....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Warlord-Class-Titan-ONE-OF-A-KIND-/201125563053?pt=Games_US&hash=item2ed4048aad... :awesome:

Oh my.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's like a wall of hieroglyphs lifted from a temple :allears:

• Locked thread