Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Just keep on pretending that they have no agency.

How the gently caress do you have such absolutist thinking considering the absolute shithole Gulf War II made Iraq?It's both, sorry hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Radio Prune posted:

So al-Golani of JaN has announced the creation of an Islamic emirate by the sounds of things?

https://soundcloud.com/aboyahya12/izlalbpudtze

Hassan Hassan is tweeting out the details in English, but I'm having a hard time understanding what the hell is going on. There were rumors yesterday they were leaving Aleppo, which they denied, and new alliances coming together of non-JaN, non-ISIS forces. It's weird.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Agency can only act on the circumstances given to it, and those circumstances are often largely influenced by the agency of others. It's almost like human society is a vast interconnected web of people all exercising their agency in often conflicting ways!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

illrepute posted:

Why would the gods want losers? Nah man, they sacrificed the winners in Ōllamaliztli. And I mean, why not? If you're gonna have an empire based on blood and slaughter, why not have feathered warriors, obsidian swords (macuahuitl in the loving house!), and thousands of festivals!

By comparison, ISIS's tyranny is downright banal.

cualli tonalli

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

MrNemo posted:

It reminds me of a story back from early on Afghanistan in the 2000s where this falafel vendor was recounting how a group of Taliban pulled up in a Toyota SUV armed with Kalashnikovs and started screaming at him for selling falafel because it wasn't around in the time of the Prophet. He said that you can't really call out that kind of hypocrisy when the other guy's next response is a bullet in the back of the head.

There was a story that got some press earlier in the Syrian war when a 14-year-old kid made a joke in the market, and later on he was abducted into a truck or car. A few minutes later, they dropped his dead body off in front of everyone.

I can't remember the joke, but it was something like, "14 bucks? What do I look like, someone as rich as the prophet to you?" or vaguely something like that. Not only was the act of killing a child for "blasphemy" pretty terrible, but also terrible was that the joke, as originally told, was actually kinda funny. :smith: Does anyone remember it?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I remember, but I can't think of any more details. Didn't he get decapitated? Or was that the kid who said some blasphemous phrase when he was on pain medication? I don't even know.

Here's what happens if you're a kid who decides to eat on Ramadan in the glorious caliphate.

He seems to be alive, which is good because ISIS normally kills people before crucifying them if they intend for them to die, but he also seems to have been up there for quite a while. :ohdear: Anyone translate the message on his chest?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FADEtoBLACK posted:

ISIS is exactly what you would get if you bombed out the U.S. and it succumbed to internal conflict from armed groups. Watching that propaganda video and the poster of the video saying certain Muslims were "Muslims in name only" really hits home how we shouldn't acknowledge any political ideology based on religion and that the only time these groups function in a democracy is when the overall society is integrated and strong enough not to let them succumb to the inevitable "God wants me to kill this other dude". Nothing feels more righteous then imagining you're being forced to become violent.
"Another round of drone strikes today on terrorist bases in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Another car bomb went off in a busy square in Boswash."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Amazing that they released this as some sort of recruitment tool? Who in their right mind can watch that and punch the air? I couldn't even make it past 5 mins.

It's like the us military showing 'collateral damage' in schools or some thing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

You're right, material conditions don't shape human beings at all. Political purges and wars don't destroy a society's intellectual reserves, bootstraps, etc.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

cheerfullydrab posted:

"Another round of drone strikes today on terrorist bases in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Another car bomb went off in a busy square in Boswash."

Old but gold:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/midwest-peace-talks-shattered-by-illinois-tollboot,484/

quote:

BELVIDERE, IL–Hopes for a Midwest peace accord were dealt a severe blow Monday, when a bomb ripped through a toll booth on the I-90 Illinois Tollway. The attack, which killed six and delayed westbound traffic for hours, is believed to be the work of Iowa-based militant Lutheran extremists.

The explosion is the deadliest in the troubled region since Oct. 4, 1997, when a bomb went off in a crowded Kankakee flea market, killing 22.

Illinois governor-elect George Ryan denounced the attack as "the work of cowards."

"If there is to be any hope of a lasting peace in the Middle West, these sorts of despicable acts of violence must not be tolerated," said Ryan, speaking before an emergency session of the Illinois legislature. "All sides in the Midwest crisis must demonstrate a genuine commitment to honoring the terms of the Lake Geneva Convention."

The bombing, which reopened deep historical wounds in the unstable, strife-torn Midwest, sparked mass outrage and protest among Illinoisans.

"I can't stand those stupid Cornheads," said Galesburg, IL, resident Marty Lemke, burning an Iowa state flag at a massive anti-Iowa rally in Peoria hours after the bombing. "They're all fat and lazy, and they can't even drive. All summer long, we have to put up with them and their huge RVs messing up our parks. And now this."
[...]

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

McDowell posted:

You're right, material conditions don't shape human beings at all. Political purges and wars don't destroy a society's intellectual reserves, bootstraps, etc.

There's a difference between understanding that, and things like thinking the most significant thing that has affected Iranian history and shaped what Iran is today is the coup installing the shah, because the US did it. The middle east is a lot more complicated than that sort of amerocentric perspective lets on. I don't blame Baloogan for posting what he did, but that's not to say outside forces don't play roles in how people and countries perceive things and act.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

A nation doesn't exist in a vacuum. When the biggest threat you face is being obliterated by any number of other nations, many of whom you have absolutely no power to fight back against, everything else tends to fall to the wayside in favor of whoever appears to be the most able to mount a defense. That's not unique to an ethnic group, that's just a fact of the human condition: survival comes before every other priority.

So, yeah, many nations in central/west Asia and in parts of Africa are much less progressive than many nations in more peaceful regions, because they're still concerned with fighting for their actual existences, much less for those existences to be better than they are.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Crap, looks like IS stole a march at their erstwhile Baath allies and imprisoned a bunch of them.
This gives them very effective hostage to ensure compliant behaviour, and removes some pretty good Russian cards from play.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/2014/07/08/Islamic-State-rounds-up-ex-Baathists-to-eliminate-potential-rivals-in-Iraq-s-Mosul.html

It looks as if very loosely Sadamm aligned Sunni tribes were not targeted for now, but it is unsure if any outside or inside force could make these groups go up against ISIS. Russia has/had pretty good connections to some baathists, with regional tribal leaders? Not really.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Mightypeon posted:

Crap, looks like IS stole a march at their erstwhile Baath allies and imprisoned a bunch of them.
This gives them very effective hostage to ensure compliant behaviour, and removes some pretty good Russian cards from play.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/2014/07/08/Islamic-State-rounds-up-ex-Baathists-to-eliminate-potential-rivals-in-Iraq-s-Mosul.html

It looks as if very loosely Sadamm aligned Sunni tribes were not targeted for now, but it is unsure if any outside or inside force could make these groups go up against ISIS. Russia has/had pretty good connections to some baathists, with regional tribal leaders? Not really.

That has to make any ex-Baathists in the south much more wary to ally with ISIS. Much like killing any Shia troops they capture it makes them feel badass but (hopefully) makes future expansion much harder.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Volkerball posted:

There's a difference between understanding that, and things like thinking the most significant thing that has affected Iranian history and shaped what Iran is today is the coup installing the shah, because the US did it. The middle east is a lot more complicated than that sort of amerocentric perspective lets on. I don't blame Baloogan for posting what he did, but that's not to say outside forces don't play roles in how people and countries perceive things and act.

Iran gets hosed by random great powers on a pretty regular basis. The US was simply the last one to do it, and the US maintains the pretty outspoken intention to do so again. Russia, which had been a huge threat to Iran in the somewhat distant past, (the big change occurring during the Islamic revolution was the mass murder of the Tudeh party by the Mullahs) is nowadays pretty friendly, as is India/China. Afghanistan and Iraq are messes that may suck up Iranian assets, but despite IS propaganda, these states arent offensive threats. Arguably, placating Russia right now is cheaper then ever before.
Only the USA and Israel currently remain as "Iran-shattering grave threats".
That Iranian policy emphasizes and focused on those is pretty understandable.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

ReV VAdAUL posted:

That has to make any ex-Baathists in the south much more wary to ally with ISIS. Much like killing any Shia troops they capture it makes them feel badass but (hopefully) makes future expansion much harder.

If the Russian civil War is any indication, ruthlessly "purging" your own side can have tactical and strategic advantadges. If you can reasonably expect that all other side will also commit atrocities, atrocities loose considerable amounts of their drawbacks.
As Nestor Makhno showed, being the "least evil side" can actually lead to everyone regarding you as "weak" and trying to dogpile on you. That is a risk the Kurds are facing.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Mightypeon posted:

If the Russian civil War is any indication, ruthlessly "purging" your own side can have tactical and strategic advantadges. If you can reasonably expect that all other side will also commit atrocities, atrocities loose considerable amounts of their drawbacks.
As Nestor Makhno showed, being the "least evil side" can actually lead to everyone regarding you as "weak" and trying to dogpile on you. That is a risk the Kurds are facing.

Surely the Kurds have a long way to go to look weaker the Baghdad faction? The Peshmerga have stood and fought will the "Iraqi" army has run away.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

The Bagdad faction has 40% of Iraqs population. Its just that the corrupt elite on top really love their current position. They also have backing from a very very interested regional power (Iran) and a Great power (Russia). They also do not have the opposition of any Great Powers, and they could conceivably ally with the Kurds.
What is interesting is if current rumors about Iran going around the Maliki gouverment to arm/train Shia militias directly are true, and if yes, wether they are truely going around Maliki or are just giving him plausible deniability.
Iran has btw. clearly indicated that they would accept a replacement for Maliki (but not actually Chalabi, that was a mixture of a practical joke and an olive branch to the USA), and may come up with one such replacement themselfs.

What they are propably afraid of is a "Yanukovich replacement bad timing" effect. In Ukraine, Russia was not very impressed by Yanukovych, and began sounding out alternative candidates. Then Maidan happened, Yanukovach got ousted by force and Russia didnt have an alternative ready. IS could make major gains in the propably unusually chaotic "transition period" from Maliki to whoever will be in charge after him, fear of such gains is likely a factor that is keeping him in power.
This adds an unfortunate dynamic. If Maliki wants to persist, he has to signal to Iran, Russia and other interested parties that any transition away from him would be ridiculously messy (Yanukovych actually did that in Ukraine too) and thus "contraindicated". He can do such "signalling" by greatly degrading the quantity and quality of available possible replacements to him by innovative and propably kinetic means.

This is a big problem, but it is kind of a "luxury problem".

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does ISIS have a manifesto anywhere? Do they have any opinions on Jews/Israel? Who is the current highest ranking ISIS person?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Iraqi border was drawn out of the British colonial masters asses anyway. I say let it split into 3 counties (or at lease 3 very loose confederates) and let them mind their own business. IMO Iran is the least of the evils in the Islamic world.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What I don't understand about ISIS is how can anyone be apart of such insanity? I could get killing PoW's but children for eating on religious holiday is quite insane.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

What I don't understand about ISIS is how can anyone be apart of such insanity? I could get killing PoW's but children for eating on religious holiday is quite insane.

They didn't kill that kid. Just strung him up for a few hours. This is evidently an important distinction due to the rampant media bias in portraying ISIS as terrible.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Volkerball posted:

They didn't kill that kid. Just strung him up for a few hours. This is evidently an important distinction due to the rampant media bias in portraying ISIS as terrible.

'Stringing someone up' for any offense is something I would put in the 'unacceptable' category, wouldn't you?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Full Battle Rattle posted:

'Stringing someone up' for any offense is something I would put in the 'unacceptable' category, wouldn't you?

Yeah. Yep. loving twitter jihadists. :shepface:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Volkerball posted:

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Volkerball posted:

"America has more people imprisoned then anyone in the world, I bet many of them would prefer to be strung up in public for a while then released rather than jailed for years!"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

People were getting upset on twitter because the picture of that kid was labeled as a ten year old who was crucified. According to the ISIS sympathizers, he was actually 16, and "crucified" was the improper term because it implied he was dead. This reinforced the circlejerk that they are just moral crusaders who the media demonizes because reasons. No self awareness at all.

quote:

Shami Witness ‏@ShamiWitness 5h
You FSA,IF scumbags need to lie a bit less. Next tweets >>>

This guy claimed that the person in pic is 10 years old and insinuated he was crucified as in dead. both lies https://twitter.com/JadBantha/status/487621688197386240 … (1)

The person in pic is 16 years old , and he is alive. But he was punished, as in strung up publicly for hours, (2)

for breaking Ramadan fast and eating publicly, and more importantly for encouraging others to do the same (3)

He was doing تشهير,I don't know exact English meaning,but it basically means to slander or defame or scandalize(the fasting in this case)(4)

Phew. Almost thought it was reprehensible there for a second.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
To be unreasonably fair to the islamic state, there IS a pretty huge difference between crucifying a ten year old and corporeally punishing a 16 year old.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'This is a warning because we're new. The next time...'

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Miltank posted:

To be unreasonably fair to the islamic state, there IS a pretty huge difference between crucifying a ten year old and corporeally punishing a 16 year old.

Yeah, and hacking your leg off with a saws-all isn't nearly as bad as leaping head first into a wood-chipper, but neither is particularly admirable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Miltank posted:

And if this kid really was breaking fast in public and "encouraging others to do the same (which, I assume, took the form of walking around eating a sandwich and offering to share it with a guy)", he's lucky he got off as easy as he did. hosed up as that is.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 12, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, and hacking your leg off with a saws-all isn't nearly as bad as leaping head first into a wood-chipper, but neither is particularly admirable.

Not to mention they have executed several kids before, and force other kids to watch, so it's not like it clears their reputation one way or the other. It's a really stupid point of contention on their part.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Every time I open this thread ISIS does something new and hosed up. Congratulations, ISIS, for not doing the thing that's insanely hosed up and just going with ordinary hosed up.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Every time I open this thread ISIS does something new and hosed up
you're a monster

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Every time I open this thread ISIS does something new and hosed up. Congratulations, ISIS, for not doing the thing that's insanely hosed up and just going with ordinary hosed up.

They're the sort of group you'd get lambasted for writing about in a novel for being too unrealistic.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Do we have any evidence about his age besides say-so on twitter? Because I'd definitely guess closer to 10 than 16 from that photo.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

They're the sort of group you'd get lambasted for writing about in a novel for being too unrealistic.

The zeitgeist kind of feels like a Call of Duty game, doesn't it? It could even start with the buried headline of 300 Special Forces guy going to Iraq.

As a matter of fact it seems a little bit like the plot to ghosts.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The zeitgeist kind of feels like a Call of Duty game, doesn't it? It could even start with the buried headline of 300 Special Forces guy going to Iraq.

As a matter of fact it seems a little bit like the plot to ghosts.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Call of Duty 4 was the last good Call of Duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

JT Jag posted:

Call of Duty 4 was the last good Call of Duty

definitely.