Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Arishtat posted:

(because the pump isn't running!)

It gets better...

They actually have a pump to prevent that..

This little guy here on top of the plastic case:

But the problem gets complicated because of the cooling loop on the early uparmored HMMWV's were junk. If you ever so slightly over torqued one or both of the lines going into the case, it'll cause the cooling loop to bend and crack.

The t-case turns into a vacuum cleaner, and sucks all the transmission fluid out of the transmission and into the t-case, causing it to puke it out through plugs and seals and the air vent lines. You get that poo poo all over the place.. the air filter, the geared hubs, the fuel tank, etc.

Technically speaking if you had the transmission and the t-case set to neutral it should uncouple the transmission, but it's still a poo poo situation. I believe all the manuals and TCM's at the time just stated to set the t-case to N and that was supposed to be good enough.

Except in your case, you had a hot transmission right next to a t-case plug full of flammable oil. They updated the civilian H1 manuals to indicate that you can set both shifters to N, but I guess the fix all for all HMMWV varients [3 and 4 speed] to save the headache was to just force everyone to remove the propshafts.

I've seen this poo poo cause diesel fuel to get sucked into the places where it wasn't supposed to be either. I had someone come to me asking me why the hell he had diesel fuel leaking out of his tire and hub.

:v:

Oh the fix to this problem? 15 cents worth of metal bar to keep the cooling loop ends clocked together. They put a blue nipple band on one of the ports to indicate the fix then decided maybe using transmission fluid as a coolant wasn't a hot idea and changed the ECV's to use engine coolant instead with an all new t-case design.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

ManMythLegend posted:

So Cletus gets called into the XO's office late one night for an unrelated thing (which is also a hilarious story in and of itself).

After reading that I really want to know the story behind the story.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Back when i was stationed on a airbase in the Norwegian airforce as a fireman we got called out to one of the fighter shelters where they had knocked over a bottle of welding gas. they specifically said "welding gas",so we figured we better haul rear end. We arive at the shelter to find a damaged bottle of Argon... thinking we have just missed out on a major explosion we shake of our dissapointment and safely move the cannister outdoors and call one of the sharpshooters from force protection to come puncture it for us.

a Major then commes over and insist that we rig up a torch for safe burn-off of the gas, even when we tried to argue "its Argon!" he calls us dangerously incompetent and order us to rig the torch anyway....

couple of minutes later the sharpshooter punctures the bottle. and the major seems very confused of the lack of flames.

for those not familiar with argon, its a inert gas, thus not flammable. only reason we shot the bottle is to let out the pressure. if we had been able to set ablaze one of the "noble gases" we probably would have gotten a nobel prize in chemistry*

*setting ablaze a noble gas must not be confused with "setting a noble on fire", i have put fire to several officers, and can recommend it in some cases

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

i have put fire to several officers

Is this another story?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'd like to see someall of the nobles here put to fire.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Guy was correct in his own rear end in a top hat way, of course. Argon (mixed with carbon dioxide) is a covering gas for MIG and TIG welding to keep the pesky oxygen atoms out of the molten metal until it's cool enough not to boil and sputter in contact with it. Hence we call it "welding gas". Which is something else entirely than "torch gas" or "brazing gas" or similar names, namely acetylene.

Still, kill all POG officers just to make sure.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Sjurygg posted:

Guy was correct in his own rear end in a top hat way, of course. Argon (mixed with carbon dioxide) is a covering gas for MIG and TIG welding to keep the pesky oxygen atoms out of the molten metal until it's cool enough not to boil and sputter in contact with it. Hence we call it "welding gas". Which is something else entirely than "torch gas" or "brazing gas" or similar names, namely acetylene.

oh, dispatch was correct in calling it welding gas, but when we get a call for a gas incident from somewhere who does welding or other "hot work" its just SOP for us to prepare our response as if it be the worst possible case, and then we just scale down after we get more info.

The major in question was not the guy who called it in, he just was working in an adjacent building and felt that this situation needed some of his leadership.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

he probably heard someone else call it welding gas and assumed that meant it was flammable

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
most people probably don't even know wtf an inert gas is, or that there are non-flammable gasses.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

fjelltorsk posted:

The major in question was not the guy who called it in, he just was working in an adjacent building and felt that this situation needed some of his leadership.

Sounds about right.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

fjelltorsk posted:

oh, dispatch was correct in calling it welding gas, but when we get a call for a gas incident from somewhere who does welding or other "hot work" its just SOP for us to prepare our response as if it be the worst possible case, and then we just scale down after we get more info.

Sounds like your sharpshooter missed. Shoulda hit that fucker between the eyes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mike-o posted:

most people probably don't even know wtf an inert gas is, or that there are non-flammable gasses.

An enlisted man might have an excuse, a noble has almost assuredly taken a chemistry class at some point

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not if he grabbed whatever liberal arts degree was the easiest so he could become a career officer just like his unloving father

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Reverand maynard posted:

not if he grabbed whatever liberal arts degree was the easiest so he could become a career officer just like his unloving father

Maybe a degree in Homeland Security from ICDC College after seeing an endorsement from Master P.
http://ww2.icdccollege.edu/homeland-security-degree

quote:

*Baton and firearms training for the online program are made available through third-party providers.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chemosh6969 posted:

Maybe a degree in Homeland Security from ICDC College after seeing an endorsement from Master P.
http://ww2.icdccollege.edu/homeland-security-degree

quote:

Graduates will be armed with the knowledge needed to qualify for entry level work in:
After graduation

You can get started on pursuing your career dreams upon graduation.**

Nice asterisks. Is ICDC the ITT Tech / University of Phoenix of government rent-a-cops or something?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Reverand maynard posted:

What lovely-rear end high school did you go to that they didn't make you take physical sciences, chemistry, biology, and physics?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was able to take zoology in highschool instead of chemistry. Was a pretty cool class tbqh

I've never taken a chemistry class in my entire life

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mustang posted:

I was able to take zoology in highschool instead of chemistry. Was a pretty cool class tbqh

I've never taken a chemistry class in my entire life

chem is pretty gay so ur not missing out

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Chemistry in my high school as I remember it from like 12 years ago or whatever was learning scientific notation and then the "lab" poo poo was like 5 seconds of doing something cool and about 5,432,886 hrs of writing a stupid form thing ("writing up a lab" whatever the poo poo that means) about that

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Even if I had to take a class in high school called "INERT GASES AND BOY ARE THEY INERT" I doubt I'd remember anything from it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
As a former Chemistry tutor I can assure you that most people barely remember what elements are in Water let alone what a Noble Gas is, what that means, and that Argon is one of them.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Lets talk about idiots, this a good one:

Posters who should know better taking a buttplug post seriously lol.

El fin.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
lol

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
MML's story made me hearken back to Sailors I have known (not in the carnal sense). The one guy that epitomizes the sad sack was the typical guy who should've never been let anywhere near boot camp but somehow was and against all odds makes it through. He ended up in our 1st LT division when I was a weapons school instructor. For those not savvy to Navy ways, these are the guys that are responsible for the upkeep of the squadron spaces and usually are mostly comprised of guys who aren't qualified to do much more than push a mop and they kind of suck at that as well. I usually hate stupid terms like "soup sandwich" but this guy truly epitomized it.

Most of the enlisted guys who go to the weapons school are there as instructors as well and are screened before they are given orders there. They are generally squared away, smart, and go-to kind of guys. But not our 1st LT guys. One of my duties at said unit was the Legal Officer, which basically means doing all the paperwork for NJP primarily.

My first encounter with this guys in the performance of my Legal Officer duties was when this guy had his barracks room inspected (not a surprise inspection) and was found to have two ferrets as pets living in his room. This was on top of the room being a complete disaster in terms of basic cleanliness and hygiene. If you know anything about ferrets, they tend to smell really bad if you don't have them descented. I don't know what else to say; the guy had loving ferrets as pets in his barracks room.

Fast forward a few months later where he has various events of a similar nature and not worth repeating and I was called into a closed door meeting with the CO, XO, and Senior Enlisted Advisor. They tell me sad sack was arrested by NCIS for having cocaine in his barracks room. The kid called NCIS to report that his laptop was stolen from his room. An NCIS agent comes to his barracks room and knocks on the door. Sad sack opens the door and the NCIS agent surveys the room from the hallway and sees the bag of cocaine on the kid's desk. He asks sad sack if he can search the room. Sad sack says yes and the agent asks him AGAIN if he can search his room. Sad sack again says yes and the agent walks over, picks up the bag and confirms it is what appears to be cocaine. Sad sack is read his rights and taken into custody. What happens after that is a story for another post, involving the idiot who sold the cocaine to our intrepid Seaman.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
For those of you asking for more of the Cletus Saga, here is the prequel to my last story. It's not as funny, and kind of sad, but here you go!

It's 2300ish sometime in April or May. USS FIRST SHIP gets a short notice tasker to pull into a new refueling pier in Djibouti. DoS wants to make a big to-do about it since we will be the first ship ever to pull in and take fuel at this pier, so there are going to be all sorts of VIPs coming out to see the ship. The Captain then wakes up all hands and decides that we are going to do a fresh water wash down as we buster along the coast of Somalia towards Djibouti. Lots of people object given that it's the middle of the freaking night with no illumination, and having over 300 dudes wandering the decks in flip flops with hoses is a bad idea. He yells at everyone and says that as a safety mitigation we will run a Man Over Board drill so we take a muster at the end and see if we lost anyone.

Fast forward an hour and some change later. The wash down is complete and they call away the MOB drill. Things are going very well and the muster sheets are flying up to the pilot house because everyone wants to go the gently caress back to bed. I'm in the process of crawling back into my rack when I hear, "OD Division submit muster report to the Pilot House," shortly followed by, "Seaman Cletus, Pilot House." My roommate is he First Lieutenant and screams, "That stupid mother fucker! I bet I know where he is!" and rushes out of the room. I sigh and crawl back out of bed because I know that I will need to be doing Legal Officer things before the night is through.

An aside is needed at this point. I mentioned before that Cletus is a hill billy, however that might be giving him too much credit. In reality he was more like a feral animal. He would wander off into crazy out of the way places to play with himself and sleep. For example, during his time as a mess crank he was caught multiple times curled up on the deck under the deep sink amidst all of the nasty hoses and puddles, sleeping, because it was, "nice and warm".

Back to the present the 1Lt comes back to O-Country 10 or so minutes later dragging Cletus behind him. The three of us, his Chief, and CMC pile into the XO's office. Cletus, besides looking distraught over the trouble he's in, just looks and smells nasty. Nastier then normal. Seriously, he smelled like a dumpster full of spoiled milk and looked like he had rolled around in a bathtub of movie theater popcorn butter. First reports that he found Cletus curled up on the deck of the OPS berthing bathroom under the hand drier sleeping. Everyone in the room makes various attempts to hide their disgust as the XO starts to unpack what happened. To make a long story shorter, I will summarize what came out:

Cletus, being filthy, had a habit of leaving his (extremely filthy) stuff laying all over berthing and getting the rest of Deck Division in trouble. After a few weeks of yelling at him, BM1 threatened him with throwing anything that wasn't put away properly overboard. Cletus, still not getting the message, continued to leave gear adrift. BM1, good to his word, merrily threw it all over the side. This continued for long enough that eventually the only clothes Cletus was left with were literally the clothes on his back (a set of coveralls, a tee shirt, a pair of tighty whities, socks, and boots). He was terrified to take any of these items off, thinking that BM would burst through the wall and take them. This meant no laundry, and as a corollary, no showers. For months. After working out on deck off the coast of Somalia. Needless to say he was nasty. So nasty that he wasn't allowed through the mess line by the CS's or the Mess Decks Master at Arms, and was mostly kicked out of berthing by the guys down there. He basically started to live like an animal onboard. He slept in the various hidey holes he knew of, and literally snuck around stealing food from the MIDRATS line when no one was looking. It was unclear how long he had been feral but I was clear that it wasn't really bothering him too much other then he got hungry some times.

There are more idiots in this story then Cletus. In the end the 1Lt was on the receiving end of quite a bit of "counseling" from the XO about being so clueless about his people. BMC denied knowing about it (which I didn't believe, but whatever) and got the same as First, and BM1 and a couple of BM2's got run through DRB and XOI for treating him like that. They probably would have gone to mast if Cletus hadn't always been a problem child to begin with.

In the end Cletus got separated a few months later after disobeying a direct order and threatening to fight an officer. Oh well. He could have MCPON if he had just had some positive intrusive leadership. God speed you filthy animal. :patriot:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BM1 should have thrown Cletus overboard instead of the clothes and saved everybody a lot of trouble.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Lets talk about idiots, this a good one:

Posters who should know better taking a buttplug post seriously lol.

El fin.

Pssh, that was totally a valid question. Chemistry is a pretty standard part of all US curricula. Okay, there are a couple one-offs there (lol zoology) but if you managed to skate by in HS and not take chemistry for a year then I'd say you're the exception not the rule.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Everyone who went to school in the US should have at some point been given a periodic table and told "These are the noble gases, they don't react with anything." Schools in the US teach you everything two or three times even if you don't realize it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cojawfee posted:

"These are the noble gases, they don't react with anything."

I'd settle for "These here on the right are special. They don't blow up or nothin'"

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Look man people in the army are there for a reason, and that reason usually isn't a solid understanding of high-school chemistry.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone who went to school in the US should have at some point been given a periodic table and told "These are the noble gases, they don't react with anything." Schools in the US teach you everything two or three times even if you don't realize it.

you need to lower your expectations, bud

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I kinda recall that being true. Mostly because I cut class so often I had to repeat chemistry.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I work with someone who has two kids yet is still honestly surprised she might be pregnant after some guy blew his load in her while not using any birth control. Where the gently caress is the safety briefing for that when you leave the local area???

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I was in high school in the early 2000s in Alberta and even then it was impossible to miss chemistry because even the one Science class you had to take in Grade 10 (Grades 10-12 = High School) had a little Chemistry in there for a third of the year (it was a Biology/Chemistry/Physics all-in-one class).

I really have no idea how its possible to flat-out miss ANY Chemistry and still get your HS Diploma.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Cenen posted:

I work with someone who has two kids yet is still honestly surprised she might be pregnant after some guy blew his load in her while not using any birth control. Where the gently caress is the safety briefing for that when you leave the local area???

Was she on top when he blew? I heard they can't get pregnant that way, maybe she subscribes to that school of thought :shrug:

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
My high school didn't offer chemistry or biology classes.

Now I'm an EMT.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Crosspost from idiots on social media:

This pleases on so many levels - some stupid person removing a stupid tattoo in a stupid manner to stupidly reenlist :woop:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

DaNerd posted:

Now I'm an EMT.

Like none at all? Wow.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaNerd posted:

Now I'm an EMT.

Chemistry was my favorite class. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

gleep gloop posted:

Like none at all? Wow.

The benefits of attending small charter schools. When our science teacher quit when I was in 8th grade we didn't get a new teacher for 3 years which meant no science classes for that time. Our math class was also a joke, I ended up having to take remedial algebra when I got to college because I didn't know how to do basic things like distributive multiplication.