Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

pengun101 posted:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/11/texas-right-wing-militia-to-child-immigrants-get-back-or-you-will-be-shot/
Apparently a ton of milltia nuts are headed toward the borderd. It seemes alot of them have "shoot to kill" orders too. So how long do you think its gonna be before a group of these chucklefucks massacres a group of children.

:stare:

Holy poo poo. Just...gently caress. Even the accelerationist in me is horrified. Do they not realize what's going to happen to them and their public image when they shoot a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Alkydere posted:

Holy poo poo. Just...gently caress. Even the accelerationist in me is horrified. Do they not realize what's going to happen to them and their public image when they shoot a child?

I'd say that chances of that are unlikely (although still there) because everyone else is going to be waiting for someone else to pop off the first shot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dreffen posted:

I'd say that chances of that are unlikely (although still there) because everyone else is going to be waiting for someone else to pop off the first shot.

If they were reasonable people, yeah, but remember these are the people who spawned the nutcases who did the shooting in Las Vegas. The vast majority will be waiting for another to shoot first, yes, but I think there's a reasonable chance that there's going to be at least one guy who's unhinged enough to see a starving refugee child as a legitimate threat and must be put down.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Alkydere posted:

If they were reasonable people, yeah, but remember these are the people who spawned the nutcases who did the shooting in Las Vegas. The vast majority will be waiting for another to shoot first, yes, but I think there's a reasonable chance that there's going to be at least one guy who's unhinged enough to see a starving refugee child as a legitimate threat and must be put down.

You're not wrong, and Las Vegas is still relatively fresh. Hopefully that won't happen!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Most of them probably honestly believe they're shielding American from the unwashed Mongrel horde and will get lauded for their efforts.

Look at the guy in TX who loving executed 4 children he tied up when they didn't tell him where his wife was. People can get spun up and furious over something and suddenly think nothing of murdering a child to get what they want. For years now Fox News has been fanning the flames with "why won't somebody do something" and eventually another horrific shooting will occur and the conservative media will scream its not their fault until the furor dies down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

pentyne posted:

Most of them probably honestly believe they're shielding American from the unwashed Mongrel horde and will get lauded for their efforts.

Look at the guy in TX who loving executed 4 children he tied up when they didn't tell him where his wife was. People can get spun up and furious over something and suddenly think nothing of murdering a child to get what they want. For years now Fox News has been fanning the flames with "why won't somebody do something" and eventually another horrific shooting will occur and the conservative media will scream its not their fault until the furor dies down.

Yeah, that's part of the reason I, as Texan, am entirely uncomfortable with these assholes on the border being assholes. Fox and fellow right wing pundits have been fanning the flames for years, telling them they're the best, last line of defense for good-ol' American decency and home-made apple pie. A generation that was raised in the fear and paranoia of the cold war. Yet at the same time the power of the WASP male has been dwindling as things get less lovely for minorities, minorities that are becoming a plurality and are starting to be more likely to vote, and vote against the white man.

Eventually something's gonna break, much like it did in Vegas, and in Spring, Texas, and I'm worried that one of these rear end in a top hat's going to snap on some poor starving migrant kid suffering a heat stroke.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
So basically we're rushing quickly towards that scene in Machete where a senator guns down a pregnant Mexican woman because she's crossing the border.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Rokstar posted:

I believe you mean "First Laddie." :colbert:

Please, the proper term is First Dude. :colbert:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So this right-wing militia's final straw, their last stand in the fight for freedom is against... hungry children. Okay.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

So basically we're rushing quickly towards that scene in Machete where a senator guns down a pregnant Mexican woman because she's crossing the border.

Or something equally horrible. Eventually I'm worried we'll get some old, racist shitheel who'll either have undiagnosed dementia/Alzheimer's and will forget about the Civil Rights movement, or will get so pissed off at his lost White Male Privilege to be a racist shitheel in public he'll stop caring.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

So this right-wing militia's final straw, their last stand in the fight for freedom is against... hungry children foreigners massing at the borders. Okay.

There is no "These are human beings" concerns anywhere in the minds of the right. Any and every human being crossing the border is a potential terrorist, gangbanger, or future democratic voter.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mercury_Storm posted:

So this right-wing militia's final straw, their last stand in the fight for freedom is against... hungry children. Okay.

It's super humid outside, powder doesn't stay dry forever, ya know.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hungry children raised in MS-13 creches.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SedanChair posted:

GENETICALLY ENGINEERED GANGSTER REFUGEES!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Maddow alone trumps everyone on the GOP side. :allears:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

http://www.westernjournalism.com/watch-megyn-kelly-puts-nancy-pelosi-ringer-sexist-hobby-lobby-rant/

"Kelly’s response to Pelosi’s statement is priceless as she put Pelosi through the intellectual ringer."

"Intellectual ringer" :ironicat:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Maddow makes a mean whiskey sour.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

http://www.westernjournalism.com/watch-megyn-kelly-puts-nancy-pelosi-ringer-sexist-hobby-lobby-rant/

"Kelly’s response to Pelosi’s statement is priceless as she put Pelosi through the intellectual ringer."

Ha ha, look at those descriptive video titles on the top scroller. They're so desperate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Who carry Muslim prayer rugs disguised as soccer jerseys. And tuberculosis.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I honestly hope Obama and whatever federal agency is in charge of this classifies these central American kids as refugees seeking asylum just to watch a lot of heads explode.

Then when the usual shithead brigade weighs in, the response can be "these kids and their families bootstrapped their way to America, the land of opportunity, all the way through the drug cartel hell zone of Mexico" and then we can ask Hannity and O'Reilly when their ancestors got off the boat at Ellis Island (because you know they've done their genealogy).

Honestly, I just want to see a lot of horrible people shamed out of public life over this. It won't happen. :smith:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pentyne posted:

There is no "These are human beings" concerns anywhere in the minds of the right. Any and every human being crossing the border is a potential terrorist, gangbanger, or future democratic voter.

They should start referring to themselves as "Sovereign Citizens" to really gently caress with the :freep: wingers. :ironicat:
"A border is a contract, and we won't acknowledge it senors!" :smugbert:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

So something that should be seen as positive in U.S.-Arab/muslim relations is spun as some racist conspiracy drivel by hacks who back in the Bush years were grasping at straws for 'greeted as liberators' approval of Bush.

Cool - I'll be adding this to the continually growing 'snippets for posterity of horrible stupid racism from the early-mid 2000s' pile.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 12, 2014

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I listen to Michael Savage on my way to work, though usually for only about 30 seconds or so at a time, and the vast conspiracy he's dreamed up for this refugee situation is both hilarious and unbelievably frustrating in its scaremongering. If he's to be believed, Obama has orchestrated this whole thing as an attempt at what he calls 'ethnic replacement', somehow convincing South American mothers to send their chillldreeeen (some of whom are actually large and scary Latino thugs who need adult-size underwear) on an incredibly dangerous journey to the US just to slightly skew demographics in ten years or so.

He had the best line yesterday, though. He said that Obama was doing this so he could have his own 'army of young fertile Hispanics'.

I laughed for five minutes, then felt like hitting something with a tire iron.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just literally heard a guy on Fox News call an increase in "minimum wage", a "tax".

Also called the "Minimum wage" a joke and called for it's elimination.

It's just bizarre how these people view human beings.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just literally heard a guy on Fox News call an increase in "minimum wage", a "tax".

Also called the "Minimum wage" a joke and called for it's elimination.

It's just bizarre how these people view human beings.

The entire Hobby Lobby thing revealed to me that there are plenty of people who believe compensation for your labour is a "handout."

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Sadly enough, Kelly is right in calling out how if when rulings go our way, we do not have a problem with the make up of the decision makers. When rulings do not go our way, we then have a problem. But she failed to mention that almost all sides do this and Fox itself has done this in the past.

After that, Kelly is wrong. She mentions how Pelosi cosponsored the RFRA (or whatever it is) and now she has a problem with a decision based on her bill. Well, up until a few years ago, the idea that a corporation could have religious freedom was not prevalent and completely thought to be stupid and illogical. Now we are here and Pelosi might have decided that that law was not the best idea.

Also, I thought that, of the 4 types of birth control discussed, that if fertilization happened, then there was nothing that could be stopped. These types of BC stop the fertilization from happening by keeping the eggs from leaving to get fertilized, don't they?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still mad that they allowed non-abortive medicine to be incorrectly labeled as abortion because of HL's factually incorrect belief that it was. There's no religious grounds for that belief.

The equivalent would be something like a Jewish buffet suing because they were made to serve corn, and then the court agreeing that corn comes from pigs if you believe hard enough.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Sadly enough, Kelly is right in calling out how if when rulings go our way, we do not have a problem with the make up of the decision makers. When rulings do not go our way, we then have a problem. But she failed to mention that almost all sides do this and Fox itself has done this in the past.

There's a difference between part of a homogeneous group deciding something and part of a diverse group deciding something in active opposition to another part of that same group. There's no way to argue the position that all the female justices should have ruled the other way in Roe v. Wade because there weren't any, so the comparison is pointless.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

moths posted:

I'm still mad that they allowed non-abortive medicine to be incorrectly labeled as abortion because of HL's factually incorrect belief that it was. There's no religious grounds for that belief.

You're mad for the wrong reasons then, because HL's exact factual claims are straight off the Plan B label and stipulated as true by the government.

quote:

this product works mainly by preventing ovulation (egg
release). It may also prevent fertilization of a released egg
(joining of sperm and egg) or attachment of a fertilized egg
to the uterus (implantation)
. See consumer information leaflet.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You're mad for the wrong reasons then, because HL's exact factual claims are straight off the Plan B label and stipulated as true by the government.

FDA is politics too. I'll see if I can find the mouse studies, but iirc it was found that plan B is purely antiovulatory rather than anti-implantation.

E: Hell it's all over the wiki page too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levonorgestrel

"The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) has issued a statement that: "review of the evidence suggests that LNG [levonorgestreol] ECPs cannot prevent implantation of a fertilized egg."

naughty_penguin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 12, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I'm not up on the most recent research, but I believe the part you should have bolded in that sentence is "may". From what I understand, the prevention of an attachment of a fertilized egg to a uterus hasn't been proven, and if it does happen, it likely happens in the same way it could happen with anti-inflammatories.

So I guess Hobby Lobby will be banning anti-inflammatories next. :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Lots of things can slightly increase the chance of a miscarriage, but I don't see Hobby Lobby giving pregnant women nine months of leave so they don't have to stand all day or risk car accidents coming to work.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Leofish posted:

The entire Hobby Lobby thing revealed to me that there are plenty of people who believe compensation for your labour is a "handout."

I had been thinking about this all day today.

I realize there's a lot of people who differ on political philosophy, but there's at least some I could argue that sincerely believe that what they believe in would help people. For example, I dislike the Libertarian Ideology, but at least I could argue there's likely people out there that have the ideology that genuinely believe it would help people, and want to do it from the good of their heart. There's libertarians that have likely done a lot in charity, and have done good things for their fellow man.

Yet I just never get that vibe from a lot I've seen on the far right lately. When I say that I mean, insane people at Tea Party or people at Fox News.

It takes a special type of terrible person to advocate for treating fellow human beings with less self respect and dignity because they worship at the feet of Ayn Rand.

It takes a special type of POS to rally around to stop a bus full of women and children, telling them to "GO HOME!!!".

It scares me that there's people out there who's natural intent is to quite literally go "gently caress you, got mine" to the weakest among us. I mean this literally across the board.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Leofish posted:

I always wonder what these people think qualifies for not being a handout? If a laborer getting compensation for their labor is a handout, is a burglar stealing all of your widgets also a handout?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

beatlegs posted:

Ha ha, look at those descriptive video titles on the top scroller. They're so desperate.

"Rush Limbaugh Just Walked All Over Obama in this Crushing Triade"

Here's the transcript

quote:

Rush Limbaugh: Folks bluster bluster bluster bluster hot air smug OBAMA bluster bluster smug smug incorrect factoid ladies and gentlemen AMERICA bluster bluster tyrant OBAMA hot air smug.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

I had been thinking about this all day today.

I realize there's a lot of people who differ on political philosophy, but there's at least some I could argue that sincerely believe that what they believe in would help people. For example, I dislike the Libertarian Ideology, but at least I could argue there's likely people out there that have the ideology that genuinely believe it would help people, and want to do it from the good of their heart. There's libertarians that have likely done a lot in charity, and have done good things for their fellow man.

I think you're right. But, even some of the evangelical and libertarian firmly held honest beliefs are nothing more than wishing retribution and god's punishment on innocent victims. I think it's important to distinguish between those evangelical and libertarian beliefs intended to help people and those that just intended as punishment.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

radical meme posted:

I think you're right. But, even some of the evangelical and libertarian firmly held honest beliefs are nothing more than wishing retribution and god's punishment on innocent victims. I think it's important to distinguish between those evangelical and libertarian beliefs intended to help people and those that just intended as punishment.

Right.

Let's say someone holds the belief that welfare is a terrible system.

There's two ways one could go with that.

One is the stereotypical way we see posted by racist idiots that pop up in the "Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family? Post them here.".

The other? Well, There's the old "I believe personal charity would be a better system than welfare". If said person at least practices what they preach? I have zero problem with that. I mean, it's incredibly naive and ill informed, but it's not racist. The person's heart would also be in the right place.

Same with Abortion. Someone could be massively Pro-Life, but I would gain a ton of respect for them if they made sure teen mothers/lower class mothers were provided with money/necessities to raise their children.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Every time she makes a corny joke and laughs at herself a little piece of my world weary and scarred soul heals. :allears:

Azuth0667 posted:

I always wonder what these people think qualifies for not being a handout? If a laborer getting compensation for their labor is a handout, is a burglar stealing all of your widgets also a handout?

You're forgetting that you're lucky that you even got a job in the first place so you should be glad for what ever kind of stuff your boss gives you in the first place. They didn't have to hire you so stop complaining or they'll replace you with some one who is glad for the scraps.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Hey Girl posted:

You're forgetting that you're lucky that you even got a job in the first place so you should be glad for what ever kind of stuff your boss gives you in the first place. They didn't have to hire you so stop complaining or they'll replace you with some one who is glad for the scraps.

This is literally the mindset of the blithering idiots who vote for 'right to work' laws.

That and irrational paranoia about unions and competing with minority workers.

'Why yes, I WILL shoot my own dick off. I wouldn't want people to think I was a COMMUNIST if I didn't shoot my own dick off.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hey Girl posted:

Spacedad posted:

This is literally the mindset of the blithering idiots who vote for 'right to work' laws.

That and irrational paranoia about unions and competing with minority workers.

'Why yes, I WILL shoot my own dick off. I wouldn't want people to think I was a COMMUNIST if I didn't shoot my own dick off.'

This is captured perfectly in a scene in Robert Reich's film "Inequality for all". Reich meets with some blue collar workers (forgot which state) to suss out their views on things and one of the workers essentially says something to the effect of "well the bosses are the guys with fancy schooling and deserve everything and I haven't done that and don't really deserve anything" (paraphrasing).

It's really something to hear it said out loud by someone on the low end of the totem pole.