Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It'd be cool if Metroid Prime was remade in HD with dual analog controls and a map on the GamePad at all times.

Wait that might suck, never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It'd be cool if Metroid Prime was remade in HD with dual analog controls and a map on the GamePad at all times.

Wait that might suck, never mind.

Having the scan log on the tablet would be cool maybe. But yeah the lock on should be kept I liked that part of Metroid Prime. Made it so the focus was on dodging poo poo not aiming at things, differentiated it from other shooters quite well.

Metroid Prime 3 with waggle optional would be nice. I never really liked Wii motion controls, even for stuff most people seemed to like, like Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I know they've been remade, but I could got for a Pikmin 1 & 2 HD Combo disc.

Mainly because I just played through Pikmin 3 and really liked it. I never played 1 or 2 and the Wii discs are like $40/ea on eBay right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I would honestly rather just see HD ports than full-fledged remakes so they can get more out and faster. Maybe they feel like they can't do that for Gamecube titles, because the visuals are outdated, but it seems like they could do it for Wii titles, just leave the visuals as they are but render them at a higher resolution like Dolphin does.

Wind Waker HD only took about six months and most of the actual work was outsourced, so I don't think they're concerned specifically about the timeframe.

The bigger bottleneck seems to be that they like to put their top dudes in charge of even tiny projects like these, which makes them unavailable for other more important projects and/or means they tend to get dragged off to work on other things. Link Between Worlds is a good example of what I mean - the prototyping/pre-producton phase for that game began with a three-man team in 2009 but was disbanded in 2010 because they had to go work on Wii U launch titles and Skyward Sword.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 12, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but I can almost guarantee you that the game does not actually render at 720p and downscale when outputting on a real Wii.

It is, but they're saying the actual stored files render at that size. Watch Dogs has had something similar done to it, iirc.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The bigger bottleneck seems to be that they like to put their top dudes in charge of even tiny projects like these, which makes them unavailable for other more important projects and/or means they tend to get dragged off to work on other things. Link Between Worlds is a good example of what I mean - the prototyping/pre-producton phase for that game began with a three-man team in 2009 but was disbanded in 2010 because they had to go work on Wii U launch titles and Skyward Sword. Three dudes.

Doing everything in-house is also the problem with their early only account endeavours with the 3DS. Rather than just going out and hiring people who know how it should be done, they train their existing staff and try to figure it out themselves.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Realtalk an HD Galaxies rerelease would actually convince me to buy a Wii U.

I don't know why that would when there's already 3D World and Mario Kart, both of which are worth the system.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

mabels big day posted:

I don't know why that would when there's already 3D World and Mario Kart, both of which are worth the system.

3d World really doesn't play like Galaxies though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're also not gonna do it because the Wii games are still easy to find and are presumably still selling.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mabels big day posted:

I don't really play games when I hang out with people anymore so Mario Kart doesn't have much appeal. 3D World is tempting me but it's just one game, HD Galaxy would be the last straw.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tender Bender posted:

I don't really play games when I hang out with people anymore so Mario Kart doesn't have much appeal. 3D World is tempting me but it's just one game, HD Galaxy would be the last straw.

You can play Mario Kart online.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Even MK8 single player is completely worth buying a Wii U for.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Saw the dude who buys every single Wii U game (Mario WiiU) and comments on the graphical quality of the water running around on my home screen. Small world.

Then I just felt sort of sad for him. I clicked his Miiverse profile, hoping to see more water-based trolling, but no this guy's the real deal. He buys every loving game and makes tons of useless posts like "just got this game" and "I like this game." He bought The Letter and said something like "excellent horror game for only $1.99." The Letter is not an excellent horror game.

Then I felt sad for me because I wasted like 10 minutes looking for a post commenting on water quality and nothing. I think I've raced him in Mario Kart 8, too. How many consoles have they sold so far? 100+?

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 12, 2014

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

enojy posted:

Saw the dude who buys every single Wii U game (Mario WiiU) and comments on the graphical quality of the water running around on my home screen. Small world.

Then I just felt sort of sad for him. I clicked his Miiverse profile, hoping to see more water-based trolling, but no this guy's the real deal. He buys every loving game and makes tons of useless posts like "just got this game" and "I like this game." He bought The Letter and said something like "excellent horror game for only $1.99." The Letter is not an excellent horror game.

Then I felt sad for me because I wasted like 10 minutes looking for a post commenting on water quality and nothing. I think I've raced him in Mario Kart 8, too. How many consoles have they sold so far? 100+?

:|

is this guy for realllll

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Part of me feels like I should feel bad, but I feel kinda glad that this is a guy that takes joy out of something and then is able to constantly be happy regardless.

Either that or he has Asperger's.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I just wish I was that independently wealthy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ok, I'm four plus hours in, so I'm going to try to explain this One Piece game.

First and foremost, understand that this is a farming game. You're going to be visiting and revisiting the same areas again and again in order to knock down trees shrubs and barrels in order to collect the parts you need to build up your town. Various villagers are going to task you with building them a restaurant, general store, museum, pharmacy, factory, etc etc for which you will need to gather ingredients and take them to the central Inn. As you add buildings (and land, on which to build more buildings) you gain access to more items to help your crew in combat, upgrade your tools to facilitate better mini-gaming and so forth. You build another shelf in the general store. Now it stocks more stuff. You build factory improvements. Now your fishing pole is better. That sort of thing.

Some of these town upgrades require items that are gained by breaking stuff in levels. Some of them require you to play the bug (creature) catching and fishing mini-games. Both of these at the start are relatively boring twitch games coupled with a slot machine mechanic. They emphasize that you can upgrade your tools for these, but as of yet I haven't run across what the effect of doing so is. Certain bugs and certain fish are available from certain locales. So go hunting. There are side quest missions at the pub where you can set out to catch x number of butt-bugs or fight the dragon again, but he's tougher now. There's a rooftop garden to plant seeds you find or buy and harvest them over time. You can build more beds to the garden, but you'll need to go back to Punk Hazard and knock down the same trees again. Gather that wood.

I was a bit concerned, especially after watching the GiantBomb video earlier today, that it would be really repetitive visiting the same place again and again, but they do a fairly decent job of expanding on the same levels into larger spaces. Something you have to understand is that the first hour of this game is not really representative of the next three, and the cramped spaces and lovely bland levels you start with don't stick around, at least as far as I've gone. It opens up. There are still camera problems that plague it throughout, but it's not as tight and poorly laid out as it seems at first. Don't get me wrong, it's still tight and poorly laid out, just not as much as it is at the start.

It's a dangerous thing to say in anything One Piece, but here's where the weird poo poo starts. Levels expand, and characters expand, and items expand by finding Words. You literally open chests and a catch phrase pops out. Somehow, this catch phrase tears down a wall and expands the level. Or gives one character the ability to run across the water, or dig holes. Or gives you a 6% increase in your dodge. You equip words prior to entering a level, and then sometimes blurt them out for health. You level up your character and unlock word slots to equip more words. Let's just say this system is not entirely clear to me as of now. But you find this game's generic keys and it unlocks poo poo and you progress.

Let's touch on what you're progressing through. It's a new, original One Piece story. Now, I'm a fan. I've been watching this dumbass show for fifteen loving years, and I have no idea why for approximately 5/6 of that time. It's like being a Simpsons fan, constantly reliving the glory episodes. As a fan, let me just express that this game makes no goddamn sense whatsoever. Lost in translation or something like it, it's a series of weird flashback sequences to story arcs gone by spoken in present tense ("So, Luffy, you remember this place where we fought for her life… ugh"). Enies Lobby, Punk Hazard, Arabasta, and so on. I have the feeling that it literally takes four hours for the story to even get rolling and there's something else going on, but everything so far is pretty much nonsense. So instead you're building a town out of fish and lava parts.

But enough of that. Let's visit combat mechanics. Here, the game actually shines a bit. It's a button masher, no doubt, and again falters in the first hour because they pit you against bosses back to back right away which operate differently than the normal thugs, but let's untangle that a bit. There are two attack buttons from which you will build combos, a jump button, with which you will travel and modify combos and make down strikes, and a context-sensitive defense button which sometimes gets tricky. See, some of your crew (you can switch which of three you are controlling in a given mission while the other two are basically invincible AI) are better at dodging slash attacks while others counter them. Some reflect cannon fire, while others cut them out of the air. Basically, you'll have an incoming attack, you'll address it by hitting A at the right time, and then go on with your hack and slash.

The R button gives you access to your special abilities, whether it is power attacks combined with the Y button or team attacks on the A. Each character seems to also have a special R trigger power up of their own. Zoro enters an aggro mode state, doing extra damage and resisting stun. Chopper makes status relief potions. Franky builds a turret into which other players can jump and shoot cannonballs. Good times here. Also during combat, your partners might just call out for you to hit R for no particular reason, with a shout of encouragement. If you hit it. this gives you a bit of health. Totally vital sometimes.

What the game does to keep combat a bit more interesting and keep you from spamming attacks is to give you a portion of your overall combo movelist on one side of the screen. A checklist. If you can do each of those in the list (like a training mode checklist), you get a boost for a short time and just start kicking rear end. Then a new and different list appears and you have to complete those to power up for a while. Or ignore them completely and rock the moves you know. Either way.

I'll say that button mashing aside, I really do like the combat, and really like how different it feels for the different characters I've played so far. I think there is a decent teamwork element that would probably be suited to the multiplayer rather than the fairly dumb-but-invincible AI players given the support roles some of the crew play, so I look forward to more of that.

Enemies appear in groups or alone as boss fights. They appear out of nowhere. Do not expect to see your foe from across the room and approach them cautiously. They will appear all around you, a dozen at a time. Your partners will also randomly warp around the screen as you run through levels, searching for wood and rice and herbs and whatnot. AI pathfinding is handled by gently caress It He's Here Now. Boss fights seem to be a matter of handling the puzzle, hitting that context-sensitive defense button at the right time (this is kinda tricky to figure out exactly) and whalloping with special R-Trigger moves.

In short, if you're basing opinions on that GiantBomb video, you might want to give it a bit more of a look, find a slightly longer play video. There's more under the surface of this game and it definitely gets better after the first hour. Not immediately after where they left off, because that next section is pretty tragic, but after that, it actually gets pretty good.

tl;dr: One Piece - It's ok.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 12, 2014

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Fix posted:

[lots of words about one piece]

Edwardbrooking??????

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Metroid Prime 3 with waggle optional would be nice. I never really liked Wii motion controls, even for stuff most people seemed to like, like Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword was an absolute abomination, in part because of those loving controls. They were the final nail in the coffin of motion controls in mainstream titles.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Steve2911 posted:

Skyward Sword was an absolute abomination, in part because of those loving controls. They were the final nail in the coffin of motion controls in mainstream titles.

For lots of people the motion controls worked and functioned perfectly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fix posted:

One Piece

What I don't understand is why they didn't use the gamepad properly with this game. Instead of having the gamepad show the map all the time or something you still have to press start to view it. Weird.

Either way the game is pretty legit. Just like the other One Piece games, just get it if you're a fan.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It seems that in the months i've not used my wii, the lovely 3rd party rechargable battery packs i got for my wii remotes don't hold a charge anymore.

I thought that there might be some new wiiu remotes that had a built in battery like the controller does, but i cant find any.

Is there an official/recommended rechargeable battery or wii remote substitute to get? They're perfectly functioning otherwise and both have the extra motion plus thing on it, i just can't power the bloody things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

They worked and functioned perfectly but they were still horrible controls.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There are a bunch of elderly people on Miiverse that seem to spend all their time on it talking to people and it's really weird

There was one lady in her 60's who started every post with 'hello fellow gamers' but I think she got banned or died or something

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

enojy posted:

While reading his page I found out that this game exists

and is rated E10+. Which is kinda weird because Sony made the Stealth Bastard devs rename the game to Stealth Inc.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

There's a pretty big divide on that one.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're also not gonna do it because the Wii games are still easy to find and are presumably still selling.
This hasn't stopped other companies from re-releasing remastered versions of Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Halo, and a bunch of other last gen games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 12, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Actually, i found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-Remote-Rapid-Charging/dp/B00FQ7LT6Q

It looks like an official wii remote battery pack with charging cradle. I take it this is the thing to go for if I wan't a decent battery for my remotes? It is a bit pricey though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CatsPajamas posted:

If the other thread genuinely died off and all those posters came back here that could be why, because generally those kinds of posts were relegated there.

But anyways, since the Wii U is Nintendo's first HD system, how do people feel about HD remakes? I think Wind Waker HD was well done, and people have mentioned wanting to see Mario Galaxy remakes. Personally I think Metroid Prime would be a prime candidate. Wind Waker HD had more than just a graphical overhaul though, there were gameplay additions that really improved the game. If Nintendo did do more HD remakes, which games could really benefit from changes like that?

Okami. There's even already an HD version on the PSN.

I just wanna be able to play Okami on the tablet, OK?

For actual Nintendo HD remakes, Super Mario Sunshine, all the way. That game looked nice even back in the Gamecube days and I'd love to play it again in Glorious HD.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

DoctorWhat posted:

Unless you are loving left handed and Nintendo decided there was no need for a left handed mode. That game was loving horrible because I am not right handed goddamnit.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Unless you are loving left handed and Nintendo decided there was no need for a left handed mode. That game was loving horrible because I am not right handed goddamnit.

I played it lefty and had zero problems. There's never a point in that game where it actually matters what hand you're using since it's all just wrist movement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Okami. There's even already an HD version on the PSN.

I just wanna be able to play Okami on the tablet, OK?

For actual Nintendo HD remakes, Super Mario Sunshine, all the way. That game looked nice even back in the Gamecube days and I'd love to play it again in Glorious HD.

For me it's Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, and a second graphical update on Skies of Arcadia to make it Skies of Arcadia Legends Tales.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 12, 2014

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
gently caress HD remakes, I want new poo poo.

I mean, a few don't hurt, but I'd way rather have Super Mario 3D World 2 than Mario Sunshine HD.

*Edit* The simultaneous call for Nintendo to stop rehashing poo poo and to release HD remakes of decade old games is kind of funny, though.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 12, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

a second graphical update on Skies of Arcadia to make it Skies of Arcadia Legends Tales.

This might not happen because Atlus now is in control of Skies of Arcadia. They'll wind up making a sequel.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
You guys are missing the obvious. Mario Sunshine 2.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Meldonox posted:

Super Mario Moonshine.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Meldonox posted:

Yeah man, a bunch of new levels, stick the old levels in there to be unlocked for good measure. Call it a day. Everyone's happy.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

CatsPajamas posted:

If the other thread genuinely died off and all those posters came back here that could be why, because generally those kinds of posts were relegated there.

But anyways, since the Wii U is Nintendo's first HD system, how do people feel about HD remakes? I think Wind Waker HD was well done, and people have mentioned wanting to see Mario Galaxy remakes. Personally I think Metroid Prime would be a prime candidate. Wind Waker HD had more than just a graphical overhaul though, there were gameplay additions that really improved the game. If Nintendo did do more HD remakes, which games could really benefit from changes like that?

Paper Mario: TTYD HD please because it's the best Mario game ever. I'd probably play it until my fingers fell off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want an actual full fledged new Mario game. 3D World doesn't loving count.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Being left handed myself every time someone complains about controls not being for left handed people I feel embarrassed. It makes me imagine people who also complain their computer keyboard doesn't start with / ] [ P O I instead of QWERTY or wish they could drive on the opposite side of the road

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Steve2911 posted:

I just want an actual full fledged new Mario game. 3D World doesn't loving count.

Wrong :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

How the gently caress doesn't 3DW count?

• Locked thread