Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Multiplayer Achievements are the worst because they force you (if you are in the throes of active cheevo addiction) to play in a manner in which you might not normally play, interrupting the flow of the game, costing your team a win because you needed X ammount of Ys in Z matches.

Totally agree. Single player achievements are fine because they're optional and only people who want to are affected by them. Multi achievements impact everyone as people don't just play poorly, they totally work against your team by not killing people unless they meet specific conditions or otherwise being a jackass.

I'm kind of ambivalent about weapon unlock grinds or achievements. Sure you're not playing your preferred weapon but it gives some meaningful diversity and you're still playing to win which helps your team. But drat do I hate those shoot em in the air or melee kill because anyone doing them it's just an empty slot on your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Multiplayer Achievements are the worst because they force you (if you are in the throes of active cheevo addiction) to play in a manner in which you might not normally play, interrupting the flow of the game, costing your team a win because you needed X ammount of Ys in Z matches.

Multiplayer achievements are usually pretty low key (not always of course) for that exact reason. Unless the game is strict multiplayer only like Titanfall its usually just Reach rank X type achievements.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Multiplayer achievements are usually pretty low key (not always of course) for that exact reason. Unless the game is strict multiplayer only like Titanfall its usually just Reach rank X type achievements.

Halo 3. Ridiculous poo poo like scoring a double kill with a single Spartan laser shot. Or getting a Triple kill with the sword. Awful awful achievements.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Daedo posted:

Halo 3. Ridiculous poo poo like scoring a double kill with a single Spartan laser shot. Or getting a Triple kill with the sword. Awful awful achievements.

Both of those were pretty easy.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Laserface posted:

Both of those were pretty easy.

Exactly. If you weren't going for double kills with the laser or trying to kill as many people with the sword as quickly as possible you were clearly doing something wrong.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I got Steppin' Razor in Halo 3. The way things were set up when that game came out, it had to be done in FFA, and that game mode (at the time) had just enough players to do it... if they were all kind enough to stand still and let you sword them. If anyone was engaging anyone else, it was practically impossible to do because they wouldn't respawn in time if killed.. I set my language to Korean or something and boosted.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Running the Show in Halo Wars is probably the worst achievement for me. You have to get General rank on Xbox Live. I have 12 more games to grind before I get it and I'll have every Halo achievement.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Gears of War had some big timesink ones. Wasn't the 3rd one 100 000 kills or something stupid like that?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Is Guacameele broken on Xbox One, with regards to mask pieces? I got 5/6, beat the final boss to get the sixth piece, but there was clearly still a piece missing. Like, the last piece should logically have been both eyes, but it was only one eye and the other one was still dark as though missing a piece. Then the regular ending played and upon loading the save I still have 5/6 mask pieces and did not recieve the upgrade. Am I missing something?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Did you get the piece behind the golden door in the Devil's office? You need 10 gold medals for that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Did you get the piece behind the golden door in the Devil's office? You need 10 gold medals for that.

Figured this out when I decided to forget the mask pieces and see what was up down there. Why do none of the guides mention this piece? Weird.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Funkmaster General posted:

Figured this out when I decided to forget the mask pieces and see what was up down there. Why do none of the guides mention this piece? Weird.

If you're looking at guides, they might just be for the regular version of Guacamelee since that came out last year. The One version includes all the DLC, so a few things were changed up like adding an extra mask piece.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Yeah, it's particularly confusing as there are 7 mask pieces now, but the start menu thing still says 5/6 or 6/6 -- I guess you can't hit start after getting the last mask piece, but it's still a bit weird.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
The only fun achievements are the challenging ones like the Half Life 2 gnome one or Geometry Wars don't shoot for a minute one. I've tried for a few odd challenges in steam on games like Spelunky or Stanley Parable just to see that achievement pop up. However, I couldn't even name a memorable trophy I've got on PS3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saladman posted:

Yeah, it's particularly confusing as there are 7 mask pieces now, but the start menu thing still says 5/6 or 6/6 -- I guess you can't hit start after getting the last mask piece, but it's still a bit weird.

Yeah, this screwed me over too. I wouldn't have touched the challenge rooms if it weren't for this thread.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Captain Matchbox posted:

The only fun achievements are the challenging ones like the Half Life 2 gnome one or Geometry Wars don't shoot for a minute one. I've tried for a few odd challenges in steam on games like Spelunky or Stanley Parable just to see that achievement pop up. However, I couldn't even name a memorable trophy I've got on PS3.

Stanley Parable did have good achievements. They actually motivated you to do stuff that you maybe wouldnt have found otherwise.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I have 12 more games to grind before I get it and I'll have every Halo achievement.

You have your work cut out for you when Master Chief Collection launches. I'm guessing those some of those 4000 achievement points are going to be absolute bitches to earn.

The deals of the week are updated, the best deal is $23.99 for the digital version of Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. I had a lot of fun with that game and that was before they had launched the free dlc maps/game modes/characters. I'm tempted to buy it again at that price. Other less-good deals are the whopping $10 off the genre defining Angry birds and Marvel games.

There's also a really good sale on xbox one games at microcenter which Best Buy apparently price match. Ryse, Dead Rising, Ac4, Cod and Forza reduced to $20. There's a reddit post about it here : http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2aowge/deals_ryse_dead_rising_3_assassins_creed_4_forza/

Digital Pre-Ordering should be around before Sunset Overdrive launches (late October) http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox-One-Is-Getting-Digital-Pre-Orders-quot-Soon-quot-According-to-Insomniac-Games-450623.shtml

Edit: Slick deals has some insane deals for US customers today also, http://slickdeals.net/f/7063084-xbo...tomers-only?v=1

Madden 25 $9.99: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/madden-n...251028425.html
Battlefield 4 $14.99: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/battlefi...251028421.html
Assassins Creed IV $9.99: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/assassin...255200161.html
Call of Duty: Ghosts $5.99: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/call-of-...251134455.html

Crafty fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 15, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

poo poo, I might give CoD a whirl for 6 bucks

edit - I spoke too soon, link is dead, musta sold out they dont even have ghosts listed at all now.

edit 2 - well its showing up now but its sold out :-(

edit 3 - looks like they still have rear end Creed, BF4, and Madden, just not CoD. BF4 and rear end Creed are both really good for anyone whos not played them. I was unimpressed by Madden this year.

\/\/\/\/ yeah i did figure that out but it still appears to be sold out. CoD at least

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

poo poo, I might give CoD a whirl for 6 bucks

edit - I spoke too soon, link is dead, musta sold out they dont even have ghosts listed at all now.

go to the slick deals link then click in there - the truncated links above dont work.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

I'm amazed that this wasn't a day one thing. I've been annoyed with the fact that I can't pre order Destiny digitally to get into the beta. I do not want to buy a disc and I'm not going through the hassle of pre-ordering and canceling closer to the release day.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, me neither.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

A c E posted:

I'm amazed that this wasn't a day one thing. I've been annoyed with the fact that I can't pre order Destiny digitally to get into the beta. I do not want to buy a disc and I'm not going through the hassle of pre-ordering and canceling closer to the release day.

you can just preorder and cancel on amazon, it takes like 2 seconds (literally if you have an account already) and doesnt cost anything. I usually prefer buying disks so I can trade them in but I do wish I could have gotten Titanfall and Forza digitally because I know I wont trade those games in. I am glad the digital preorder is coming though. I think PS4 just got theirs up and running (or its coming soon at least).

Buying a launch console is always like buying into a beta. That share button on the PS4 controller still doesnt work right.

\/\/\/ whoops, yes, you are correct. I guess its preloading that I care about, not preordering. I suppose it matters with stuff like beta access but without the ability to preload it seems mostly pointless.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the PS4 has had digital preorders since launch. The PSN already supported it for the PS3.

What they added recently was preloads.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
CoD: Ghosts for 6 bucks on Xbox One is a drat good deal.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

you can just preorder and cancel on amazon, it takes like 2 seconds (literally if you have an account already) and doesnt cost anything. I usually prefer buying disks so I can trade them in but I do wish I could have gotten Titanfall and Forza digitally because I know I wont trade those games in. I am glad the digital preorder is coming though. I think PS4 just got theirs up and running (or its coming soon at least).

Buying a launch console is always like buying into a beta. That share button on the PS4 controller still doesnt work right.

\/\/\/ whoops, yes, you are correct. I guess its preloading that I care about, not preordering. I suppose it matters with stuff like beta access but without the ability to preload it seems mostly pointless.

If I can pre-order it and have it download/install on it's own the day of release while I'm at work, I'd be happy, since games seem to always come out on a Tuesday. Preloading would be good too though, esepcially since my downloads from Microsoft seem to go way slower than any other service (Steam, Origin, etc) but I can deal without it.

I went digital only with the Xbone as:
- I've never traded in any games
- I dislike having to swap discs
- I already have way too many DVD/Game boxes, they take up too much space
- I rarely buy used games.

That said, if there isn't a huge hassle in pre-ordering and canceling through amazon, I'll do it that way for now. Thanks.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

CoD: Ghosts for 6 bucks on Xbox One is a drat good deal.

Nah, that money is better spent elsewhere. Ghosts is poo poo.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

A c E posted:

If I can pre-order it and have it download/install on it's own the day of release while I'm at work, I'd be happy, since games seem to always come out on a Tuesday. Preloading would be good too though, esepcially since my downloads from Microsoft seem to go way slower than any other service (Steam, Origin, etc) but I can deal without it.

I went digital only with the Xbone as:
- I've never traded in any games
- I dislike having to swap discs
- I already have way too many DVD/Game boxes, they take up too much space
- I rarely buy used games.

That said, if there isn't a huge hassle in pre-ordering and canceling through amazon, I'll do it that way for now. Thanks.

Yeah preordering stuff through amazon is essentially hassle free. They dont charge you til the thing ships so you dont have to worry about getting your money back. Just order, wait til they give you your code (it says it will take up to 48 hours on the site, I ordered mine this morning so I will report back) and then cancel once you get your code.

I really wish I wasnt, like, addicted, to trading stuff in. To be honest, I dont know that I would bother with consoles if I didnt have the option to trade stuff in, but being able to do that makes it more economically viable. Watch Dogs only set me back a net of 18 dollars because trade in values on current gen games is insanely high.

But I am with you about going diskless. The rise of Steam and stuff got me back into PC gaming in a big way over the last few years after being primarily a console guy for awhile.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Any Xboners ready to play nerdycards with me tommorow when MtG comes out? This year's iteration has full-on genuine deck building.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Any Xboners ready to play nerdycards with me tommorow when MtG comes out? This year's iteration has full-on genuine deck building.

Oh poo poo, why did I buy this on steam? Somehow I forgot all my Magic friends are on consoles :(

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I love nerdycards. Is there a thread/database for GoonFriends?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

I'm excited for this, I've only just got back into it and I'm already sick of having to sort out physical cards. Does this include the M15 release or is it a different style all together? Haven't really read up much on it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Welp the Xbox One version of MtG got delayed and now the release date is TBD. They didn't announce this, of course, until people realized it didn't show up on the dashboard.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Welp the Xbox One version of MtG got delayed and now the release date is TBD. They didn't announce this, of course, until people realized it didn't show up on the dashboard.
http://community.wizards.com/forum/mtg-duels-planeswalkers/threads/4112411

quote:

Due to unforseen challenges, the Xbox One version will be launching later this summer. We're excited and looking forward to bringing an excellent Magic experience to this next-gen platform and we appreciate your patience leading up to the release.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Yep. That post was made today. They really didn't know even a day ahead of time?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

remember that time that half life 2's release date just kinda came and went without any kind of release or announcement? This is like that but hardly anyone cares

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Well, whatever. I'll get mad at video games some other time. For now I'll just play nerdycards on 360. That's where my nerdycards bros are at anyway. Coyo7e, I know you're buying this poo poo. Let's get drunk tonight and accidentally buy some premium boosters.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

they just needed more time to get nerdy cards optimized enough to run at 1080p60

\/\/\/\/ people have the right to know

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 16, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

they just needed more time to get nerdy cards optimized enough to run at 1080p60

Please, don't troll.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Yep. That post was made today. They really didn't know even a day ahead of time?

Hahahaha oh man, whoever the project manager was better be getting fired. I was looking forward to playing some online nerdycards this weekend too :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

hanyolo posted:

Hahahaha oh man, whoever the project manager was better be getting fired. I was looking forward to playing some online nerdycards this weekend too :smith:

Or promoted because people did like me and said "gently caress it," bought the 360 version, and then will probably end up buying the boner version too.

• Locked thread