Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I almost want to abandon my main, I just hit BR69. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Thanks for the responses and insight. It kind of seems like with only an hour or so at a time and only a couple of times a week I might just be a little too casual for this game. That's not nearly enough practice hours or regularity to start memorizing maps and spawnpoints and traffic corridors and stuff.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

NeurosisHead posted:

Thanks for the responses and insight. It kind of seems like with only an hour or so at a time and only a couple of times a week I might just be a little too casual for this game. That's not nearly enough practice hours or regularity to start memorizing maps and spawnpoints and traffic corridors and stuff.

Eh, it's not really that bad if you get into an organized goon outfit. Just follow your squad mates and be an adorable newbie so people will let you gun their vehicles, then all you have to do is point and click and mow down helpless scrubs by the hundreds as your driver effortlessly maneuvers into new firing positions

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Yeah just don't play by yourself. You don't need to study everything and be MLG one man armyman to have a good time.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah, nobody ever think this. You don't need inch-perfect positioning, and even if you do everything right someone will throw an AV grenade through a window and you're dead. There are hundreds of people shooting guns and bombs literally everywhere, you'll die. Literally the most important thing is to be in an outfit, and thus a squad, just for all the additional spawn points that come with it, in order to get you back into the fight faster, to die again because you stepped outside for a second just when a Liberator was making a pass over your base. That death is fine too, because you're already droppodding back in.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

magic mountain posted:

I almost want to abandon my main, I just hit BR69. :whatup:

Not even halfway to BR100. Get going, son.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

NeurosisHead posted:

I thought I'd try this game out playing as a medic and healing packs of people, but I just keep falling over dead.

Welcome to PS2!

If you like playing medic stick with it. But don't go blindly chasing rez certs. Those skull and cross bone icons are tempting but they're dead for a reason. They hosed up, they died, the people that killed him are also ready to kill you just the same. Every day I see countless greenhorn medics charging blindly forward with their rez tool drawn chasing rez certs without any regard to their own safety and everyday I see them cut down without mercy.

You've got to keep yourself alive as a medic. Your #1 priority should always be yourself because a dead medic isn't useful to anyone. As a new medic you've got to learn to love your primary weapon before anything else. Your low level medibeam isn't really helping anyone in the grand scheme of things but your primary default weapon is one of the best ADS weapons in the game.

Don't be hasty. Don't ever be the first guy into a room. Watch your minimap, follow the ebb and flow of your friendly forces. When you feel you can safely rez people go for it. Don't chase after rez certs blindly. Until you get feel for the game and max out your rez tool never rez people outside of secure cover where your flanks are at least modestly covered. Dead bodies you don't feel safe approaching are what rez nades are for. You won't get rez nades for awhile but don't worry about it. If you work on keeping yourself alive and getting experience with your primary weapon you'll be rolling in bonus checks in no time.

Nookovian-Red fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 13, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

But Not Tonight posted:

OG Goku calls lovely person out for being lovely, lovely person continues to shitpost.

brb gonna go genuflect after the scathing call out.

Being called a lovely person by some nobody in an outfit that runs around shooting vehicle terminals to pad their accuracy stats AND takes J4Gs doesn't get to call people lovely :shobon: But hey keep the superiority complex alive.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 13, 2014

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

vigorous sodomy posted:

Being called a lovely person by some nobody in an outfit that runs around shooting vehicle terminals to pad their accuracy stats AND takes J4Gs doesn't get to call people lovely :shobon: But hey keep the superiority complex alive.

loving :laffo:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

vigorous sodomy posted:

Why do people do this it never works

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ya'll jerks quit gettin mad about video games goddamn

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I miss the spergy gunchat already, and I hated the spergy gunchat.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Magmarashi posted:

Ya'll jerks quit gettin mad about video games goddamn

Sounds about right. Lets all lament the plight of the VS faction traits.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

For real though terminals don't count as hits and will tanks your accuracy

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

For real though terminals don't count as hits and will tanks your accuracy

On the other hand gently caress stats while annoying your foes.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
You guys wouldn't be getting so mad over video games if you just stopped talking and started honking. HONK HONK!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Got a /tell from trees after shooting me in the back saying BAD BAD BAD. GOKU is the spirit of good sportsmanship and mature players, and definitely not lovely people.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rayjenkins posted:

Sounds about right. Lets all lament the plight of the VS faction traits.

There's nothing to lament! :downsrim:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Magmarashi posted:

On the other hand gently caress stats while annoying your foes.

Oh enemy terms may count toward it, I'm not sure. The joke was that friendly terms were being used for it as far as I heard it, and that's what I tested it on. Of course it's dumb because terminals don't have heads and HSR is what the superspergs care about, and also worrying about stats like that is dumb except for tracking personal progress

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

vigorous sodomy posted:

Got a /tell from trees after shooting me in the back saying BAD BAD BAD. GOKU is the spirit of good sportsmanship and mature players, and definitely not lovely people.

I don't know who you are in game but I would TK you too just based on your posting.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know who you are in game but I would TK you too just based on your posting.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Wasn't a TK :rolleyes:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

vigorous sodomy posted:

Have you considered getting good?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

Have you considered getting good?

I'm working on my omniscience to detect when I'm about to get shot in the back.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Considering trying this but I remember from the old days you needed to buy a lot of poo poo to be competitive. If I dropped cash on this what would be the best way to spend my money?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Considering trying this but I remember from the old days you needed to buy a lot of poo poo to be competitive. If I dropped cash on this what would be the best way to spend my money?

Truth be told, buy boosts. Boosts will net you more certs to buy the weapon attachments that make your guns more user friendly. Anything else is really a sidegrade as the default starter weapons are all great. You can buy a weapon tailored for a specific threat. Ground to Air lockons are usually a good idea as they fire as dumbfire at ground targets, while being able to scare away air.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^ Don't listen to him. Boosts are a terrible idea for new players since you'll piss off a ton of money just to push yourself from 100 up to 150 score per minute. When you're starting to get decent and run, let's say, 200-250 SPM without any boosts, then you can consider purchasing a +50% on top of that.

Baron O Beefdip posted:

In order:

1) EU Retail DVD (if you can find one)
2) The Steam DLCs (except perhaps the cheapest one, and if it goes on sale again then even that)
3) Purchasing any good and useful weapon that costs 1000 certs while it's on sale (3.5 USD/EUR instead of 7). Many of them either aren't good or don't do anything that free/cheap weapons don't do about as well, so ask in the thread if the daily sale tempts you.
4) In general, you can and should always wait for a sale before you buy anything with real money
5) If you like the game enough that you're going to buy more than a half-dozen weapons or so, then a membership or a heroic (3/6-month) boost may start to look like a pretty reasonable deal.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 13, 2014

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Play NC because all the starting weapons are awesome and cost nothing.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

NihilCredo posted:

^^^ Don't listen to him. Boosts are a terrible idea for new players since you'll piss off a ton of money just to push yourself from 100 up to 150 score per minute. When you're starting to get decent and run, let's say, 200-250 SPM without any boosts, then you can consider purchasing a +50% on top of that.

In order:

2) The Steam DLCs (except perhaps the cheapest one, and if it goes on sale again then even that)
3) Purchasing any good and useful weapon that costs 1000 certs while it's on sale (3.5 USD/EUR instead of 7). Many of them either aren't good or don't do anything that free/cheap weapons don't do about as well, so ask in the thread if the daily sale tempts you.
4) In general, you can and should always wait for a sale before you buy anything with real money
5) If you like the game enough that you're going to buy more than a half-dozen weapons or so, then a membership or a heroic (3/6-month) boost may start to look like a pretty reasonable deal.

Is the fresh meat bundle still a thing? That's not a bad use of $2 either

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

In order:

Ok, I forget you get a 1 day boost for free, but another boost on top of that is what, $2.50? And he's said he's willing to 'drop cash' which kinda suggests maybe $10 on a 7 day boost isn't out of his scope. But waiting on sales is pretty bad too, considering how scarce SOE makes them. We just had our first big sale on the 4th, and I can't remember the last sale before that. Then he could consider a subscription because there are member sales a little more frequently than non member sales.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 13, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Really you should just play the game for a decent while and see if you actually enjoy it, because if you're bad/not enjoying the game with stock stuff then dropping money on it isn't going to make you good/enjoy the game.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

vigorous sodomy posted:

But waiting on sales is pretty bad too, considering how scarce SOE makes them. We just had our first big sale on the 4th, and I can't remember the last sale before that.

Memorial Day: boosts, a bunch of vehicle weapons and that sweet sweet NS package were on sale.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Gobblecoque posted:

Really you should just play the game for a decent while and see if you actually enjoy it, because if you're bad/not enjoying the game with stock stuff then dropping money on it isn't going to make you good/enjoy the game.

This is true, therefore this isn't an empty quote. It deserved repeating.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Holy poo poo, just came back to this game after playing during the alpha, and I have to say that they've really improved it in almost all facets. Game is absolutely fun now.

I got in a random pubbies Liberator today as a gunner, who then proceeded to wedge the side of the aircraft in the entrance of a Biolab. I netted 118 kills :getin:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Buying a subscription is the best use of money, I think. There's a lot of stuff that you can only buy with certs and the extra Higbycare certs plus experience bonus goes a long way, and you get some SC to spend on stuff as well.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Blasmeister posted:

Is the fresh meat bundle still a thing? That's not a bad use of $2 either

It's not, but the Steam DLCs are a better deal and they provide both the PDW (which is a bad gun anyway) and the Indar Dry Brush camo (which is a cool camo).

vigorous sodomy posted:

Ok, I forget you get a 1 day boost for free, but another boost on top of that is what, $2.50? And he's said he's willing to 'drop cash' which kinda suggests maybe $10 on a 7 day boost isn't out of his scope.

Boosts are worth it if you're going to play a lot AND make a lot of points during the boost time. If you're a new player your SPM is going to suck, and if you're a functional human being you're not going to play 8 hours a day.

I did some napkin math in the old thread about what SPM and how much you have to play in order to make heroic boosts a better deal than buying stuff with SC, and IIRC the result was pretty high. And that was for heroic boosts, which are significantly more efficient than daily/weekly boosts.

One counter-argument is that you can't use SC on certifications, but when you're starting out there's plenty of purchasable low-hanging fruit like Phoenix/Lancer, empire-specific Heavy Weapons, the AV turret, SMGs, Halberd/PPA, etc. all of which will unlock whole new playstyle.

Gobblecoque posted:

Also this.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

magic mountain posted:

Buying a subscription is the best use of money, I think. There's a lot of stuff that you can only buy with certs and the extra Higbycare certs plus experience bonus goes a long way, and you get some SC to spend on stuff as well.

Subbing is an excellent decision if you intend to play this game long-term. 500 SC a month + 50% exp/resources + members only 2x exp weekends is pretty dope.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Planetside 2 is less of a war simulator and more of a war bond simulator. I hardly ever shoot mans, I just buy guns and leave.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Klowns posted:

Memorial Day: boosts, a bunch of vehicle weapons and that sweet sweet NS package were on sale.

Ok, you can count on sales during US Federal holidays.

Gobblecoque posted:

This is debatable. Have you seen shatter cammo?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

vigorous sodomy posted:

3mlg5u

NihilCredo posted:

It's not, but the Steam DLCs are a better deal and they provide both the PDW (which is a bad gun anyway) and the Indar Dry Brush camo (which is a cool camo).

Boosts are worth it if you're going to play a lot AND make a lot of points during the boost time. If you're a new player your SPM is going to suck, and if you're a functional human being you're not going to play 8 hours a day.

I did some napkin math in the old thread about what SPM and how much you have to play in order to make heroic boosts a better deal than buying stuff with SC, and IIRC the result was pretty high. And that was for heroic boosts, which are significantly more efficient than daily/weekly boosts.

One counter-argument is that you can't use SC on certifications, but when you're starting out there's plenty of purchasable low-hanging fruit like Phoenix/Lancer, empire-specific Heavy Weapons, the AV turret, SMGs, Halberd/PPA, etc. all of which will unlock whole new playstyle.

Also this.

Curious on your math here. Outside of certain vehicle weapons, poo poo like the Lasher/Lancer/Phoenix like you mentioned, and maybe a few other things... it seems like a no-brainer to me that boosts are a better investment. I played for 4 hours tonight at a bit under 45sph (180certs/hr, unboosted), so two sessions like that and I can get a 1000cert gun or upgrade.
Definitely harder on a newer or unskilled player who can't pull 200+ spm.

• Locked thread