Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

~Coxy posted:

just munge it all together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Blinkz0rz posted:

is there a better way to do wpf applications than with the mvvm pattern? it's for a simple data query/display app.
view/viewmodel separation is unavoidable in well-written wpf stuff because your views will (almost) all be written xaml. if you find yourself writing lots of codebehind, go learn more about xaml.

viewmodel/model separation is where people tend to get lazy. if you wanna be lazy about it too, make absolutely sure this simple data query app isn't going to grow because you will badly regret that laziness if it does

(it will grow)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
thanks coffeetable you wrote the truth much better than I did

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Luigi Thirty posted:

dearest yospos is it a good sign when you send your resume to a local company on craigslist at 9pm and one of their engineering managers sends you an email an hour later saying that your resume is interesting and they want to talk to you

i think they make surgery recording systems or something

it's a good sign that they want to hire you, but it might not be a good sign of a place you want to work.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

coffeetable posted:

view/viewmodel separation is unavoidable in well-written wpf stuff because your views will (almost) all be written xaml. if you find yourself writing lots of codebehind, go learn more about xaml.

viewmodel/model separation is where people tend to get lazy. if you wanna be lazy about it too, make absolutely sure this simple data query app isn't going to grow because you will badly regret that laziness if it does

(it will grow)

thanks for the advice i'm kind of enjoying wpf right now. it seems like it actively pushes you towards writing nicely separated code. xaml is nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be.

i've done some .net mvc stuff before so i'm implementing a repository/uow pattern behind mvvm and it seems like it's working out so far. at least i don't feel like everything is starting to mush together.

what's the deal with commands? it seems like you either have to write them in the codebehind for the view, write them as routeduicommands then register them with the commandmanager, or write them on the viewmodel itself. is there a better way to do this?

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 13, 2014

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i reckon about 10% of recruiters actually read more than 5 lines of my cv before they talk to me.

also what's the difference between agile/TDD/BDD? I just saw a job add asking for Passionate Agile Developers but the text claimed to want someone with experience with all three.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
agile is primarily a way of organising and prioritising development tasks. nobody does it properly because customers never look at products

TDD is an idealistic methodology of programming in which you write the unit test first then write the code to make the unit test pass. nobody does it properly because that is completely impractical

dunno what BDD is

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

~Coxy posted:

agile is primarily a way of organising and prioritising development tasks. nobody does it properly because customers never look at products

TDD is an idealistic methodology of programming in which you write the unit test first then write the code to make the unit test pass. nobody does it properly because that is completely impractical

dunno what BDD is

body dysmorphic disorder

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
bullshit driven development

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

bullshit driven development
please don't post about my professional life

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's an insanely good sign and this man is a pessimist

i too am a pessimist

they're a c# place and my resume had python written all over it, why would they go after it so fast
why would their manager be looking for emailed resumes at 9pm 3 weeks after the post went up
if he responds so fast at all hours of the night, why hasn't anyone else with barely any qualifications they're looking for been hired yet
do they even have an hr department

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

i too am a pessimist

they're a c# place and my resume had python written all over it, why would they go after it so fast
why would their manager be looking for emailed resumes at 9pm 3 weeks after the post went up
if he responds so fast at all hours of the night, why hasn't anyone else with barely any qualifications they're looking for been hired yet

they like to do their management close to the metal

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AlsoD posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

i too am a pessimist

if you good at 1 lang learning another lang is easy
because he love workin or happens to have checked he mail
wasnt it like a craigslist posting? doesnt strike me as a high-traffic recruitment tool
probably not

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

if you good at 1 lang learning another lang is easy
because he love workin or happens to have checked he mail
wasnt it like a craigslist posting? doesnt strike me as a high-traffic recruitment tool
probably not

unless theyre real small they have hr, theres a lot of work in labor law compliance once you have big company things like a bunch of benefits and jackasses making hiring/firing decisions

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Definitely think very carefully about whether or not you want to work at a place with bad hr

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
hr exists for a reason, and that reason is so that you don't have to personally confront your co-worker about their smell

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Blinkz0rz posted:

thanks for the advice i'm kind of enjoying wpf right now. it seems like it actively pushes you towards writing nicely separated code. xaml is nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be.
xaml owns. it doesnt make ui coding non-miserable, but i can tolerate it for longer

quote:

what's the deal with commands? it seems like you either have to write them in the codebehind for the view, write them as routeduicommands then register them with the commandmanager, or write them on the viewmodel itself. is there a better way to do this?
yeah, use a framework. my preference is reactiveui (look up reactivecommand specifically) because it's only barely a 'framework' but i havent tried caliburn/mvvm light/etc so cant compare

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 13, 2014

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

AlsoD posted:

lol

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Hey I suck at programming and am majoring in CS.

Any good references for bubblesorting strings from a doc using c# and .Net? The purpose of the class is to write code in a language you have never used before. So there's no "how to" example in my book which doesn't even exist.

To clarify, I just want a fast crash course for .Net syntax.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 13, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

unless theyre real small they have hr, theres a lot of work in labor law compliance once you have big company things like a bunch of benefits and jackasses making hiring/firing decisions

afaik it's a tiny local company that designs electronic medical equipment

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Hey I suck at programming and am majoring in CS.

Any good references for bubblesorting strings from a doc using c# and .Net? The purpose of the class is to write code in a language you have never used before. So there's no "how to" example in my book which doesn't even exist.

use string.ToCharArray() then just do it in-place like you would in pretty much any other language, put it back in the String constructor at the end.

if you know C or C++ or Java then you know C# syntax (for the purposes of writing loving bubble-sort in it anyway)

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

AlsoD posted:

use string.ToCharArray() then just do it in-place like you would in pretty much any other language, put it back in the String constructor at the end.

if you know C or C++ or Java then you know C# syntax (for the purposes of writing loving bubble-sort in it anyway)

Yea I'm very retarded when it comes to most things.

I know C and yes I wrote the syntax for bubblesorting ints no problem but then everything went to poo poo went I attempted converting to string and the closest google searches took me to irrelevant poo poo on stackoverflow.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I know C and yes I wrote the syntax for bubblesorting ints no problem but then everything went to poo poo went I attempted converting to string and the closest google searches took me to irrelevant poo poo on stackoverflow.

it should look very much like this:

code:
public String bubbleString (String input) {
    char[] arr = input.ToCharArray();

// copy and paste previous code, replace "int" with "char"

return new String(arr);
}
e: modulo some char/Char fuckery

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 13, 2014

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The purpose of the class is to write code in a language you have never used before.
rather than copy and pasting chunks of code from around the internet and trying to duct tape it all together, go sit down with C# in a Nutshell and read maybe the first hundred pages. it should take you less than an hour, and it'll give you the context you need to solve your problem.

honestly there's a good chance the prof chose this question exactly because your way of attacking problems (which is the same lovely way that most cs undergrads attack problems) wouldn't work very well. a good prof

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 13, 2014

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i figured boxing/unboxing issues would be enough of an impediment that SnoochtotheNooch would have to resort to an actual reference or just stackoverflow cargo-cult the poo poo out of it :v:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

we could give you code, but that wouldnt teach you how to solve this problem.

I can't figure out how i would tell you how to do this other than "just go and loving do it" so i think maybe ur just not much of a problem solver? bascially what coffeetable said

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

coffeetable posted:

rather than copy and pasting chunks of code from around the internet and trying to duct tape it all together, go sit down with C# in a Nutshell and read maybe the first hundred pages. it should take you less than an hour, and it'll give you the context you need to solve your problem.

honestly there's a good chance the prof chose this question exactly because your way of attacking problems (which is the same lovely way that most cs undergrads attack problems) wouldn't work very well. a good prof

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
C# is banging on the keyboard in VS and liberal use of right mouse click until something compiles

also it's just java.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

tef posted:

it's a good sign that they want to hire you, but it might not be a good sign of a place you want to work.

agreed

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
perhaps one reason why people struggle with Haskell's error messages* is that they're so used to VS or javac that actually reading them seems like a really weird concept

*: type errors are all just variations on:
code:
> let x = 3 :: Int
> length x
Couldn't match expected type '[a]' with actual type 'Int'
In the first argument of 'length', namely '3'
In the expression: length 3
:: means "has type", [a] means a list of something, Int is a number. that's all you need to know to decode that error message.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
then there's the typeclass related ones which mostly just take the form of "no instance of <typeclass> arising from the literal <literal>". typeclasses are essentially OO's interfaces

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thanks but ill keep using real languages

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

AlsoD posted:

perhaps one reason why people struggle with Haskell's error messages* is that they're so used to VS or javac that actually reading them seems like a really weird concept

type errors aren't stacktraces. stacktraces usually show the program flow, unless there is threads and god cannot save you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

thanks but ill keep using real languages

your loss

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

AlsoD posted:

perhaps one reason why people struggle with Haskell

the way in which you build a haskell program doesn't resemble the way you build something in an imperative, stateful language. the terminology you use to to describe a haskell program is different too.

the methods, features, and even the the culture around haskell are alien to many industry programmers. the majority of haskell programmers are hobbyists or academics.

haskell is a hard language to learn well, just like many other languages. it just doesn't share enough in common to make the jump easy for more experienced programmers.

on the plus side it's doing pretty well for what is essentially an ongoing collaborative research project.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i'm a haskell hobbyist

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so you're a Haskell user

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
what is the advantage of Haskell, if any??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

LARD LORD posted:

what is the advantage of Haskell, if any??

basically it's a lot easier to use than any other mainstream languages because i'm not smart enough to keep everything in my head all at once. haskell lets me spend a lot more time trying to figure out exactly what i'm trying to do and less time keeping track of a bunch of tangentially related crap

• Locked thread