Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Princess Peach is not an interesting character hahahaha

Certainly not as interesting as Zelda or Samus as far as princesses go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe after this we can discuss whether Coal Black was TRULY a racist cartoon, or if perhaps there are two sides to every story

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Bass Bottles posted:

Mocking women as crazy and overly emotional is one of the oldest and most common sexist tropes, and SPP plays directly into it. All other details about how it helps her save the day are totally loving irrelevant.

If she saves the day because she's emotionally in control of herself when the usual heroes aren't, I don't see how that's a mockery.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Folt The Bolt posted:

If she saves the day because she's emotionally in control of herself when the usual heroes aren't, I don't see how that's a mockery.

You're taking a ridiculously simplistic view of it, and you have to be doing it on purpose.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just imagine Luigi's Mansion but replace Luigi with Peach, you would have a game that's nothing but a woman vacuuming a house.

it's a slippery slope.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

You're taking a ridiculously simplistic view of it, and you have to be doing it on purpose.

It's how I feel about it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's how I feel about it. Nothing more, nothing less.

How do you feel about Native Americans? I think they're OK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

She's in control of herself because she gets a poorly explained magical umbrella that "knows everything about Vibe Island" not because of her innate self-control. You absorb enemies with it to refill your emotion-control ability.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Can we talk about how great it would be if men turned into raccoon things though?

Only if we can also fly by using our giant testicles.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I've never seen a female duck going up to a male duck and saying "hey stop accusing me of desiring to sit on eggs!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

She's in control of herself because she gets a poorly explained magical umbrella that "knows everything about Vibe Island" not because of her innate self-control. You absorb enemies with it to refill your emotion-control ability.

She literally eats men.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zack_Gochuck posted:

How do you feel about Native Americans? I think they're OK.

They're alright. They have a different lifestyle and a different way of living from myself, and I don't see anything I should criticize them for when I have my own faults. That is my opinion.

And to get this back on topic, I almost can't wait to try out Splatoon.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

hey sexually dimorphic ducks guy, literally google "sex versus gender" but also like really reexamine your life.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Folt The Bolt posted:

And to get this back on topic, I almost can't wait to try out Splatoon.

Oh sure a game that depicts squid culture in a negative light because it shows them squirting ink at the first opportunity they get.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

mulls posted:

hey sexually dimorphic ducks guy, literally google "sex versus gender" but also like really reexamine your life.

Hush, the men are talking.

Speaking of men, Shovel Knight continues to be excellent. I love how sprawling its levels are, although it can make them a pain to replay to find relics I'd missed before. The bosses are really great thus far--I think the hardest for me thus far has been Treasure Knight, he killed me twice. Now I'm at the last trio before the big boss (I think).

Also I really love the music for the Blacksmith Village.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Speaking of men, Shovel Knight continues to be excellent. I love how sprawling its levels are, although it can make them a pain to replay to find relics I'd missed before. The bosses are really great thus far--I think the hardest for me thus far has been Treasure Knight, he killed me twice. Now I'm at the last trio before the big boss (I think).

Also I really love the music for the Blacksmith Village.

In case you don't know, if you miss a relic in a stage the Relic Guy will sell it at the village afterwards.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

It's also possible Mother is the red-headed step-child of Nintendo franchises. So yeah, don't count on a Western Mother 3 release anytime soon.

I thought Star Fox fits that better, Mother's practically an orphan.

Hekk posted:

I'd buy the virtual console game but I am afraid I wouldn't enjoy the game like I did as a kid.

It aged pretty well, give it a shot in an emulator if you wanna see if you still like it

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Wii U Discussion- literally google "sex versus gender" but also like really reexamine your life

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mulls posted:

This is the best post

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

So far, there only seems to be cosmetic differences between genders in Splatoon. All are equal on the graffiti field. If only other games could strive to portray a similar sense of insignificance within the graffiti field of the universe.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Here's the opening to Super Princess Peach. You can skip to about 4:25 if you just want to see the part where she decides to save the day. This game is a platformer with the gimmick of different elemental powers, with the in-story explanation for them being Princess Peach's emotions because of plot magic. It's true that since Rome made Stoicism the common mentality one of the stereotypes of women has been being emotional (before Rome it was the opposite, read Greek tragedies or the Bible sometime). However, giving a female character Hulk-style superpowers and having her save the day is a completely different situation than something like Other M (again, watch Maple Leaf's LP) and it needs to be treated differently because otherwise complaints about both lose all meaning.

The topic of prejudice in games is a serious topic that should be addressed seriously, and I think it's worth having its own thread for if people want to discuss it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I love Pikmin 3.

You have good taste! I really like the Pikmin series because not only are they well executed and polished but also they're unique experiences. Pikmin 3 is a great entry in the series. If anyone hasn't played a Pikmin game yet, you should definitely pick up Pikmin 3 if you get a chance!

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 13, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

These posts make me angry. If I were a woman I would be able to use this anger to defeat evil. Alas I am not, dismantle the matriarchy.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Wii U Discussion- literally google "sex versus gender" but also like really reexamine your life

Please make this the new thread title. Please I'm begging you mods.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CatsPajamas posted:

The topic of prejudice in games is a serious topic that should be addressed seriously

Nothing about video games needs to be addressed seriously.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Super Princess Peach given a Can't Handle rating by the ESRB.

Why are people talking about a 8 year old DS game in the Wii U thread? Just make a SPP thread.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Dammit, everyone types too fast. Here's something back on the Wii U topic:

For instance, whenever my Wii U power light goes orange I assume it's installing updates or demos or etc. However, I haven't noticed any kind of notifications or differences next time I turn it on. IS there a way to know what happened?

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CatsPajamas posted:

For instance, whenever my Wii U power light goes orange I assume it's installing updates or demos or etc. However, I haven't noticed any kind of notifications or differences next time I turn it on. IS there a way to know what happened?

Orange means that it's mostly off, but it's still connected to the web and could be downloading and installing stuff. Red means it's really off.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone knows if cutting off the power during a download is bad (when the indicator is orange)?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

CatsPajamas posted:

If it updates things you should be able to see what it did in download manager(push the home button to find it). I think I remember the game icons pulsing slightly after being updated as a type of notification too.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Orange means that it's mostly off, but it's still connected to the web and could be downloading and installing stuff. Red means it's really off.

Thank you, that was helpful and I appreciate the response.

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone knows if cutting off the power during a download is bad (when the indicator is orange)?

Going off of DoctorWhat's answer, if it's just connected but isn't downloading or installing anything then I imagine cutting the power would be fine. However, if it is downloading or installing something cutting the power would likely make you lose whatever it was doing in the least.

Edit: Thanks to deafmute too! I'll have to pay closer attention to my game icon. Is this all documented somewhere? I got my Wii U refurbished and don't recall seeing anything about this stuff in the documentation I got with it.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 13, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gay skull posted:

I thought Star Fox fits that better, Mother's practically an orphan.

Actually probably a good number of Nintendo franchises could all be the ignored red headed step children.

Star Fox at least was featured in a tech demo, that's more attention than most have gotten in a decade.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wonder what's up with that Star Fox tech demo, it sounds interesting but we barely know anything about it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kurtofan posted:

I wonder what's up with that Star Fox tech demo, it sounds interesting but we barely know anything about it.

It was still super early into development at E3. It's probably going to be a while before we get to know anything concrete about it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'd be down for a new Star Fox! I haven't played one since the SNES. Playing SF64 at a demo kiosk in Sears doesn't count as having played it. It would be rad if SF64 found a home on the Wii U VC.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

CatsPajamas posted:

Is this all documented somewhere? I got my Wii U refurbished and don't recall seeing anything about this stuff in the documentation I got with it.
Most of it you just pick up from using it over time. The digital manual might be more helpful than the printed materials you got, push the home button then select manual to check it out.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually probably a good number of Nintendo franchises could all be the ignored red headed step children.

Star Fox at least was featured in a tech demo, that's more attention than most have gotten in a decade.

New Starfox has co-op where other players can control your teammates.

New Nintendo Wars/Battalion Wars/Advance Wars lets you design your own units ala Mario Kart 8, has online multiplayer.

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem happens.

Mother 3 English release.

Custom Robo U.

New Pilotwings on eShop for both 3DS and Wii U.

New Fatal Frame utilizing the GamePad.

F-Zero U comes bundled with an F-Zero GX HD remake.

A Wario vs. Waluigi game comes out, Captain Syrup and Boshi play major roles.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Wildtortilla posted:

I'd be down for a new Star Fox! I haven't played one since the SNES. Playing SF64 at a demo kiosk in Sears doesn't count as having played it. It would be rad if SF64 found a home on the Wii U VC.

Pretty sure you can get it through the Wii mode store. The 3DS remake is pretty great too.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It looks like GBS is having a discussion on sexism. Maybe everyone who's played that Princess Peach game should bring their perspective and life experiences to the GBS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650306

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

CatsPajamas posted:

New Nintendo Wars/Battalion Wars/Advance Wars lets you design your own units ala Mario Kart 8, has online multiplayer.

Custom Robo U.

Stop making me want things which aren't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CatsPajamas posted:

Custom Robo U.

There's going to be a new Fatal Frame for the Wii U: http://uk.ign.com/games/fatal-frame-wii-u/wii-u-20016633

• Locked thread