Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Got a gig coming up in a week at a tiny place with a questionable backline, so I picked up:

Fender Rumble 500. I really love the sounds I get out of this thing, it's plenty loud to hear over my crazy drummer, and it only weighs 38 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Puddin
Sep 30, 2007
I actually got Ibanez to dig up a replacement neck for my USA Custom! I am so happy to have this thing playable again.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have the v7v8 but they've always seemed a little quiet to me. Then again they might need a little adjusting.

I have a pair of these which I pulled out of my RGA121 that anyone can have for cost of shipping, FWIW. PM me. I thought they were okay for stock OEM pickups, but obviously the Crunch Lab / Liquifire I replaced them with are a substantial upgrade.

Sockington posted:

Sometimes it's worth less than the sum of it's parts. A simple used VM or CV Squier would be a way better platform, fwiw. Probably snag one for $200 and have WAY less to do.

I went through three or four SX basses before trying a Squier ("I'm just getting a cheap beater, what difference does it make?") and the difference in quality is RIDICULOUS. It needed pickups and the tuners are pretty heavy, but otherwise it feels significantly closer to an MIM or MIJ Fender than an SX. The body routes look like they were done using a router and not a chisel. There's conductive paint, copper tape and nice clean wiring everywhere. The stock P pickup even had cloth wire! The bridge is a substantial, solid piece. The pots are good, the neck pocket is tight, and all the screws were screwed in at a right angle to the body instead of put in by hand by a drunk person. The thing tuned up and played nice right out of the box. Just a massive improvement.

iostream.h posted:

AxeFx is the new Bitcoin for the TGP set.

Every single guitar player I know that's purchased one - and we're talking real, gigging, in demand guys in a big city, not BluesDad's or forum dwellers - has sold off all their other gear shortly afterwards. It's a total game changer for some people.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Every single guitar player I know that's purchased one - and we're talking real, gigging, in demand guys in a big city, not BluesDad's or forum dwellers - has sold off all their other gear shortly afterwards. It's a total game changer for some people.
No, I get that, and an AxeFx IS on my short list.

I was referencing the worthless fucks (and we have our very own, here) who exist only to exploit the limited production runs in order to scalp them in the weeks following their being available. Honestly, it's pretty much why, at this point, I'm firmly in the 'gently caress the AxeFx' camp.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iostream.h posted:

I was referencing the worthless fucks (and we have our very own, here) who exist only to exploit the limited production runs in order to scalp them in the weeks following their being available. Honestly, it's pretty much why, at this point, I'm firmly in the 'gently caress the AxeFx' camp.

You mean like when Metallica bought out their entire remaining stock last year to play a stunt show in Antarctica?

e: apparently they're using Axe units exclusively live now

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 14, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

You mean like when Metallica bought out their entire remaining stock last year to play a stunt show in Antarctica?

e: apparently they're using Axe units exclusively live now
No no, I meant more along the times of when Lars bought all he could, kept them in the boxes for a month or so then started flogging them on all the forums and eBay for a few hundred more than they originally cost, then, when another run became available he did the same thing again.

I really don't care that much that Fractal doesn't do huge production runs, nor do I care about the wait list to have a chance to buy one, but the assholes who've built their 'business plan' around snatching up gear that they don't give a poo poo about only to hold it for a bit (Klon KTR guys are among the worst here) are annoying as gently caress.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Made some new friends today. :3:

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Dewgy posted:

Is that some sort of mutant Wiltshire?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sadsack posted:

Is that some sort of mutant Wiltshire?

Epiphone Coronet. I was kind of looking for a Tele when I was out, but a mustard mutant Tele seemed more my style.

Guy at the shop said they'd had it for about ten years, no idea how I never saw it before today, and even with the strings it has on now it plays like a dream and sounds like an angel.

Gonna get a GFS Xtrem and a roller bridge for it eventually. :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare: I was gonna ask if it was actually old and worn or new but just textured to look like that, because the body and headstock look worn but the neck looks perfectly intact. Either way, that's rad as hell.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: I was gonna ask if it was actually old and worn or new but just textured to look like that, because the body and headstock look worn but the neck looks perfectly intact. Either way, that's rad as hell.

It's actually a textured crackle paint finish. Never saw anything like it on a guitar, but it looks worn like a piece of deck furniture rather than an instrument.

Headstock closeup:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:woop:

This thing (used, about a year old) plays about the best out of anything I've just picked up and played that hasn't had Reverend on the headstock. What a goddamn bargain Classic Vibe Teles are.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

2014 R0.
3rd brand-new guitar in my life. Plays like butter and sounds sick as all hell.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
:circlefap:

And I'm sure this is the last time we'll see the plastics too. ;)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite things about watching this forum is when a guy buys a LP and he gets shamed into removing the pickguard. It's probably correct (I don't like LPs because of the weight distribution but I think they are beautiful and important, natch) but it's still like always the first post after someone posts their new LP.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Some look dumb and hosed up without the pickguard imo like goldtops and silverbursts

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
muike you know I always respect your opnions. I'm only saying that the reflexive "TAKE OFF YOUR PLASTICS" posts are amusing. Maybe I want to play my new LP and not risk scratching the finish?

It's one thing when it's a fad, it's another when it's dogma.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ok

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

One of my favorite things about watching this forum is when a guy buys a LP and he gets shamed into removing the pickguard. It's probably correct (I don't like LPs because of the weight distribution but I think they are beautiful and important, natch) but it's still like always the first post after someone posts their new LP.
Well, while I appreciate that, in all fairness, I'm generally the one doing the shaming because, well, pick guards are evil, of the Devil and are only used by Communist pinko sympathizers. :colbert:

In all seriousness, I DO prefer a naked LP to one with a PG/PC, and I'm happy that my two trans-purples ones were never even drilled for a guard but as far as anyone else with theirs, I always do it because it's all fun and games to have something utterly pointless to hold a holy war over. I hold the same view on people who post the caps on their fountain pens. I honestly hope no one ever thinks I'd actually look down on them for whatever guitar they play, much less the aesthetics of their guitars. All in good fun and it's WAY more fun and harmless to be all super-serious about guards and chips than it is to be bitchy about someone's lack of haunting mids or whatever.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I hear you. I think it's a beautiful instrument and the rest are too, even if they're not my preference.

It's just funny how the first post is typically "great guitar, now lose the parts that came on it" when it's (let's be honest) a guitar that requires a very different picking-hand approach due to the bridge, the distance from the strings to the body, and the training required to transition from a flat-topped instrument to an LP. I think the guard is at least a good place to anchor your picking hand while you learn to play such a highly contoured instrument.

My personal feeling is that those guitars are gorgeous either way. It's the dogma that makes me laugh. I meant nothing by it, except to note that it's a first-post go-to around here and that's kinda humorous.

Then again, I like Ibanez so I should probably be put down like a rabid dog. :)
Or there are lots of other reasons why I should be put down like a rabid dog.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Dewgy posted:

I can't even identify a Coronet with pickups like that. What the hell is it? I mean, even the one variant I can find is only a two pickup. (though it's a neck, the neck is slanted like the one you have, and a single coil.)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I hear you. I think it's a beautiful instrument and the rest are too, even if they're not my preference.

It's just funny how the first post is typically "great guitar, now lose the parts that came on it" when it's (let's be honest) a guitar that requires a very different picking-hand approach due to the bridge, the distance from the strings to the body, and the training required to transition from a flat-topped instrument to an LP. I think the guard is at least a good place to anchor your picking hand while you learn to play such a highly contoured instrument.
Oh you're right, and at this point, as I've been playing primarily LP's for so many years in so many different ways I'm just used to them (and since I started discarding the 'training wheels' ;) long ago I'm MORE used to the feel WITHOUT them) and half the fun is putzing around with them and making them my own.

Dr. Faustus posted:

My personal feeling is that those guitars are gorgeous either way. It's the dogma that makes me laugh. I meant nothing by it, except to note that it's a first-post go-to around here and that's kinda humorous.
Well GOOD! Because it's supposed to be lighthearted and inject a little humor into such serious, SERIOUS business. ;)
I didn't think you meant anything by it, I just wanted to clarify things a bit on the off chance that someone, primarily a NEWER player might actually be taking me (and my lovely acolytes) seriously when we talk about how utterly despicable and terrible the people who leave the guards and chips on their LP's are.
Seriously. Take them off. The Glow Cloud commands it. Obey. OBEY.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Then again, I like Ibanez so I should probably be put down like a rabid dog. :)
Or there are lots of other reasons why I should be put down like a rabid dog.
Well, you haven't bought one of the 'flower curtain' JEM's yet, and thus decreased my potential pool of them by -1, so for now, I guess we'll just have to let you be, sir.

Oh, and thanks, I think it's absolutely gorgeous, but in all seriousness, as much as most of my guitars tend to be 'pretty', it's all about how they feel and this one, my GOD it fit into my hand like I had it carved specifically for me. Strangely enough, I adore the pickups in it too, it's got their new Custom Buckers or whatever they are, instead of the fairly standard (and lackluster and shrill) Burstbucker variants, and they sound as good as any of the custom wound pickups I've used, and as good as or even better than the PRS 57/08's, which quickly became my gold standard for OEM pickups.

We were all laughing at the store about it, and I laughed about having just sold my '59, but once I put my hand on it, yeah, it was over with for me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

Well, you haven't bought one of the 'flower curtain' JEM's
Um, either you're teasing me or you actually don't know.
I bought an original JEM77FP back in August 1989 (it was an '88 that had been sitting around for a year because OMG the price!)
I worked all summer after graduation to be the one and only original owner of this amazing instrument.
If I missed a joke, that's normal. I'm an old and I don't always get 'jokes.' It's my prized instrument and, again, because of the monkey grip and gaudy appointments, I should be put down.

E: In the theme of this thread, I do have an impending purchase that I can't wait to share here. I don't mean to post off-topic.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 18, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I hate you so very, VERY much right now.
Give me that guitar and I'll like you again.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Warcabbit posted:

I can't even identify a Coronet with pickups like that. What the hell is it? I mean, even the one variant I can find is only a two pickup. (though it's a neck, the neck is slanted like the one you have, and a single coil.)

Single coil OBL for the neck, pair of dual coil OBLs under. I think they routed the middle one in custom, just like my Matsumoko LP, but those are I think the stock pickups for this generation of Coronet.

There's clearly something been done to it though because those aren't the stock knobs and there's no push-pull tone knob (that or I'm not push/pulling hard enough).

ViciousV
Jun 1, 2004

Here's a partscaster I put together recently using a warmoth body. Loving it so far!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ViciousV posted:

Here's a partscaster I put together recently using a warmoth body. Loving it so far!

Gimme that in tobacco sunburst and I am all over it. What pickups did you put in it?

P.S. - iostream.h: Sorry man, she's mine and mine forever. Hey, I could die. I could leave her to you if you want.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

It was actually a joke for iostream since we sometimes chat outside this forum and it's a running gag with him.

I personally could care less either way. :)

ViciousV
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gimme that in tobacco sunburst and I am all over it. What pickups did you put in it?

P.S. - iostream.h: Sorry man, she's mine and mine forever. Hey, I could die. I could leave her to you if you want.

The pickups are Porter Vintage Teles (Going to solder them tonight as I just got them and got too excited to not take a pic).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ViciousV posted:

got too excited to not take a pic).

I'm surprised there aren't more disclaimers for photos taken at the Craigslist guy's house or the back seat of a car on the ride home.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more disclaimers for photos taken at the Craigslist guy's house. or the back seat of a car on the ride home.
Yeah, but isn't this forum supposed to be SFW?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

It was actually a joke for iostream since we sometimes chat outside this forum and it's a running gag with him.

I personally could care less either way. :)
Sockington it's cool. You have to admit (even iostream did) that it's a bit of a reflexive response around here. I didn't really mean anything by it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Yeah, but isn't this forum supposed to be SFW?

I've got one of you on the way home from the repo mission with my bass rig that I'm "lending" to you. Totally NSFW stuff in that shot

Faustaus, I love you. Even if you're spergy pointy headstock loving monkey grip man.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 18, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Faustaus, I love you. Even if you're spergy pointy headstock loving monkey grip man.
We either are all spergy or none of us are.

I think we all know the answer to that!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 18, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I am now the new owner of my dream retard-guitar; a MIJ Jackson Dinky with a Quilt-maple cap in Chlorine-burst. It's got a maple fretboard with offset dots and jumbo crets on a spoon-cut bolt-on neck with a freakin' hard tail.

I swear, if I had to pick a guitar spec out of thing air I would choose:

• Superstrat shape
  • Maple neck
  • Jumbo frets
  • Nice upper-fret access
  • Zebra Seymour Duncan JB/59's
  • Hardtail.

Lo and behold, what comes up on ebay? 'Jackson Dnky for sell' (literally) with this picture:

Reality without flash, grime, missing strings and a backdrop worth half a crap it should look like something more this: https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/QIKQFbEwoIA/maxresdefault.jpg - I grabbed it at the minimum bid, should be delivered next week and I'm going to get it set up by a great tech here in London. I can't wait to get to grips with it.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Has anyone played the new petrucci Majesty guitar yet? I know there is definitely some back and forth on the aesthetics from people but I'm more interested in the playability and sound. Might pick it up in 7 string.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just did a quick image search. Good lord is it hideous.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Hammer Floyd posted:

Just did a quick image search. Good lord is it hideous.

I thought the same at first but the black one has grown on me as being a bit less gaudy. still not 100% sold on the aesthetics though so I might just go with a regular JP7 instead.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

muike you know I always respect your opnions. I'm only saying that the reflexive "TAKE OFF YOUR PLASTICS" posts are amusing. Maybe I want to play my new LP and not risk scratching the finish?

It's one thing when it's a fad, it's another when it's dogma.

To be fair, the beige pickguard on the more recent studios are ugly as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

I swear, if I had to pick a guitar spec out of thing air I would choose:

• Superstrat shape
  • Maple neck
  • Jumbo frets
  • Nice upper-fret access
  • Zebra Seymour Duncan JB/59's
  • Hardtail.

OMG yessssss. I kinda wish most of my Ibanezes were hard-tails now (I do have an RG471AH which is a hard-tail that I put DiMarzio Eric Johnsons and a True Velvet into, it's now my go-to instrument for playing at home.)

The JB/59 combo is absolutely my thing (everything about it, thanks Robben Ford!) and it's even more fun with a DiMarzio True/Blue Velvet in the middle and a 5-way switch. So versatile. Put push/pull series/parallel pots on the humbuckers and you have almost every sound available.