Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
The beginning of Kyoryuger 100 years after reminds me of this Downtown sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3J9vQC02pI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Blaze Dragon posted:

In order:
-I don't know why you want the best character in the series (until Zed appeared, anyways) to get better, but no, he keeps being just as awesome forever more, and I'm really glad for it. The colour-swapping has some creative moments, but overall it's a pretty bland gimmick.
-Indeed, both Ramirez and his actor are not Japanese. That said, he's not the sixth, haven't you seen his Battery's number? He's the seventh Kyoryuger. His acting might seem off because he's trying really hard to not sound Japanese despite talking perfect Japanese, which the actor himself admitted is really hard.

I'm not too sure what you mean by female 'supervisors', but if you mean stuff like Torin or Zordon, I can think of two, the one from Jetman (whose name I cannot remember), and (spoilers for one of the series you're watching) Candelira in Kyoryuger 100 Years After.
EDIT: And yeah, both Gaoranger and Wild Force.

Also, I seriously recommend Gokaiger and Go-Busters. They're both really good series and well worth the watch.

GoBusters is the best sentai since Shinkenger and as good as Kyoryuger is, it's not as good as GoBusters. GoBusters subverts a lot of the common sentai tropes and has actual character growth in the series. It also features the best villain in sentai history. People often talk about the "reboot" and some things did change, but overall it still manages to tell a great story with amazing characters. Watch it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Watch this goddamn episode, seriously. I was waiting for this one to be released because it is Amazing Carranger.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

3rd quarter trains scans

These are officially the laziest mecha designers ever.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

It reminds me of the robot in Big.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

SpazmasterX posted:

At least it isn't, everyone go inside the big robo base thing, but its close

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I love how it also just neglects everything but the front part of every train, so you can display your ToQ Rainbow in front of a pile of unused train halves.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

jivjov posted:

Hey guys, Over-Time got me a birthday gift! Its subs for Kyoryuger 100 Years After. Go watch it. Uppy is the best.

I was watching it with my husband and he goes "Oh hey, Nossan finally got some!"

Less than a minute later, we see "It's Grandma Rika's uncle!"

Poor Nossan :(

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
100 Years After was excellent and whoever watched the raws were right, Uppy definitely stole the show. One thing I noticed though, for all the usual toku effects to they just slap on fake hair and call it a day? General Tsuu's in Akibaranger got pretty bad sometimes, but in this Future Souji was REALLY bad.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

McStabby posted:

I was watching it with my husband and he goes "Oh hey, Nossan finally got some!"

After Candelia laughed at all of his jokes, there was no one better.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

McStabby posted:

Not only did he not end up with Candelira, he stayed a lifetime bachelor. Ouch.

It was a pretty good special, I did like that they attempted to go with a non-standard team color lineup at least for a bit.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was a pretty good special, I did like that they attempted to go with a non-standard team color lineup at least for a bit.

Well, he's kind of dead and all, and her memories were erased, so we don't really know if they ended up together. And, as stupid as this sounds, I don't think demon space butterfly spawn is biologically compatible with human.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyroi posted:

Well, he's kind of dead and all, and her memories were erased, so we don't really know if they ended up together. And, as stupid as this sounds, I don't think demon space butterfly spawn is biologically compatible with human.

Going beyond that is being BRAVE! *snaps fingers*

No, seriously, that Nossan is really the only one without descendants was probably the only "bad" part of the special for me. Even moreso because Nobuta was the most competent of the lot (admittedly, by sheer luck of Candelira getting his colour right). It would've been neat for him to be Nossan's descendant like everyone else was the descendants of their respective colours (and seriously, the series hyped Nossan/Candelira hard, way to backtrack there.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

So happy that he never has sex

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Twistys Rapture posted:

So happy that he never has sex

finally a role model for all of us. Nossan is the best sentai dude.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So this is pretty apropos of nothing...but for nostalgia's sake I started rereading the old Animorphs books and came to the realization that they're basically a Sentai team. 5 teens, each with their own quirk or special ability, a 6th member with similar power but a wildly different appearance and origin, 50+ 'weekly' 'episodes' and some longer specials. Its kinda amusing how similar the tropes are.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The big difference being that Animorphs doesn't end happily. Not even remotely.

Still amazed those were sold to children ages 7-12. Nowadays those books would end up banned from elementary school libraries for their content.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cernunnos posted:

The big difference being that Animorphs doesn't end happily. Not even remotely.

Still amazed those were sold to children ages 7-12. Nowadays those books would end up banned from elementary school libraries for their content.

Yeah, its a remarkably dark series not even counting the ending.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

So this is pretty apropos of nothing...but for nostalgia's sake I started rereading the old Animorphs books and came to the realization that they're basically a Sentai team. 5 teens, each with their own quirk or special ability, a 6th member with similar power but a wildly different appearance and origin, 50+ 'weekly' 'episodes' and some longer specials. Its kinda amusing how similar the tropes are.

It's Gaoranger

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's all of the other Kyoryuger colors besides Blue. That's probably a big reason why they chose them. Also, to do the color complaint gag.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

It's all of the other Kyoryuger colors besides Blue. That's probably a big reason why they chose them. Also, to do the color complaint gag.

The thing that I still get a kick out of is that the song of the earth is the Kyoryuger theme.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Kakuranger is now fully subbed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Good lord, I'm not complaining, but the release schedule for Kaku got pretty insane there at the end.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tADAYROn_Mg&t=119s
Is this clusterfuck Choo Choo ToQ-Oh or Super Duper ToQ-Oh?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

jivjov posted:

Good lord, I'm not complaining, but the release schedule for Kaku got pretty insane there at the end.

Hikari dropped off the face of the earth in the 40s, and various people involved in the project had real life commitments. I'm glad GUIS stuck to their guns and finished it. Hopefully we get more Bioman and Fiveman soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HKR posted:

Hikari dropped off the face of the earth in the 40s, and various people involved in the project had real life commitments. I'm glad GUIS stuck to their guns and finished it. Hopefully we get more Bioman and Fiveman soon.

Oh no, I wasn't referring to the big delay, I'm referring to the last handful of episodes coming out almost 1-a-day.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
We were getting most of Jetman out at one episode per day. And that was nothing compared to Kuuga Day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FortMax posted:

We were getting most of Jetman out at one episode per day. And that was nothing compared to Kuuga Day.

Fair enough. I discovered GUIS relatively recently, so my frame of reference was the one-a-week-ish schedule. But hey, I'll take my toku whenever it comes :)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tADAYROn_Mg&t=119s
Is this clusterfuck Choo Choo ToQ-Oh or Super Duper ToQ-Oh?

The same thing you can call the rest. An abomination.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I remember MegaAnon ending Zuranger with Dinosaur Week, it was pretty awesome.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I just finished watching Kyoryuger and I am completely satisfied with the series. Tons of fun and comedy with plenty of cool fighting. I have one complaint. Ramirez is not shown dancing in full. Didn't even see him spin around. Give me my fat Japanese-Canadian actor wheezing trying to dance to the sound of samba, Toei :mad: Other than that though, Kyoryuger is a great series.

I watched ToQger up to episode 17 and it seems like Tokatti (blue) have far more episodes centered on him than the others? I like the guy, but I sort of wish Hikari get more focus. I'm hoping there will be a better intra-sentai romance in this series compared to Kyoryuger. What Super Sentai series would you say have good romance?

I need help identifying a Kamen Rider movie. In Indonesia, there are a lot of bootlegged movies using the cover of a far better movie, like Neverending Story 3 being released as 'Harry Potter 3 and the Scion of Zwandrek' (or something). I was fooled by this once and got a badly-subbed (machine English, I think) Kamen Rider movie. It's set in sort of a post-apocalyptic setting, the major villain being a head in a jar and his assistant is a woman who is like a commercial actress. Also at the end of the movie the Kamen Rider guy fight in a colosseum watched by the monsters, called 'Orb of Neck' by the subtitles, against one other guy. The movie ends with the kamen rider guy turning into a monster named 'Lion Orb of Neck' to defeat his enemy and then walking out. Also the commercial actress turned out eviler and killed the head villain. I'm pretty sure, from the quality of the suit, that this is after Kuuga (which aired in Indonesian TV dubbed). Anyone know which Kamen Rider movie is this? If it's based on a Kamen Rider series, is it worth a watch?

Edit: You know what, I need to watch Kamen Rider again. In Indonesian, Kamen Rider is 'Black Steel Warrior'. Is Kamen Rider Black worth a watch? I have only ever read the manga and its opening.

FortMax posted:

What is Kuuga Day?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 20, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toanoradian posted:

I just finished watching Kyoryuger and I am completely satisfied with the series. Tons of fun and comedy with plenty of cool fighting. I have one complaint. Ramirez is not shown dancing in full. Didn't even see him spin around. Give me my fat Japanese-Canadian actor wheezing trying to dance to the sound of samba, Toei :mad: Other than that though, Kyoryuger is a great series.

I watched ToQger up to episode 17 and it seems like Tokatti (blue) have far more episodes centered on him than the others? I like the guy, but I sort of wish Hikari get more focus. I'm hoping there will be a better intra-sentai romance in this series compared to Kyoryuger. What Super Sentai series would you say have good romance?

General toku question: In Indonesia, there are a lot of bootlegged movies using the cover of a far better movie, like Neverending Story 3 being released as 'Harry Potter 3 and the Scion of Zwandrek' (or something). I was fooled by this once and got a badly-subbed (machine English, I think) Kamen Rider movie. It's set in sort of a post-apocalyptic setting, the major villain being a head in a jar and his assistant is a woman who is like a commercial actress. Also at the end of the movie the Kamen Rider guy fight in a colosseum watched by the monsters, called 'Orb of Neck' by the subtitles, against one other guy. The movie ends with the kamen rider guy turning into a monster named 'Lion Orb of Neck' to defeat his enemy and then walking out. I'm pretty sure, from the quality of the suit, that this is after Kuuga (which aired in Indonesian TV dubbed). Anyone know which Kamen Rider movie is this? If it's based on a Kamen Rider series, is it worth a watch?

What is Kuuga Day?

I would assume, just based on the "Orb Of Neck" thing, that it was probably Kamen Rider Faiz which has (animal) Orphnoch as the monsters. I'm pretty sure that is also the Faiz movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

I need help identifying a Kamen Rider movie. In Indonesia, there are a lot of bootlegged movies using the cover of a far better movie, like Neverending Story 3 being released as 'Harry Potter 3 and the Scion of Zwandrek' (or something). I was fooled by this once and got a badly-subbed (machine English, I think) Kamen Rider movie. It's set in sort of a post-apocalyptic setting, the major villain being a head in a jar and his assistant is a woman who is like a commercial actress. Also at the end of the movie the Kamen Rider guy fight in a colosseum watched by the monsters, called 'Orb of Neck' by the subtitles, against one other guy. The movie ends with the kamen rider guy turning into a monster named 'Lion Orb of Neck' to defeat his enemy and then walking out. Also the commercial actress turned out eviler and killed the head villain. I'm pretty sure, from the quality of the suit, that this is after Kuuga (which aired in Indonesian TV dubbed). Anyone know which Kamen Rider movie is this? If it's based on a Kamen Rider series, is it worth a watch?

Edit: You know what, I need to watch Kamen Rider again. In Indonesian, Kamen Rider is 'Black Steel Warrior'. Is Kamen Rider Black worth a watch? I have only ever read the manga and its opening.

What is Kuuga Day?

First: Kuuga day was the day a TON of Kuuga episodes got uploaded.

Second, Kamen Rider Black definitely is if you can get into the style. If you don't like MOTW plots, I even have a handy 25ish episode guide for you to follow!

Third that is Faiz. It's got great looking suits, but the actual story is poo poo.

FOURTH: The only Sentai where romance was a big factor that I personally know of is Maskman, which has my favorite Sentai suit designs and some great looking monsters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

FOURTH: The only Sentai where romance was a big factor that I personally know of is Maskman, which has my favorite Sentai suit designs and some great looking monsters.

Jetman, bro.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I would assume, just based on the "Orb Of Neck" thing, that it was probably Kamen Rider Faiz which has (animal) Orphnoch as the monsters. I'm pretty sure that is also the Faiz movie.

COME ON

ORPHNOCH ARMS

ORBBBB OF NECKKKKKK

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

toanoradian posted:

Ramirez is not shown dancing in full. Didn't even see him spin around. Give me my fat Japanese-Canadian actor wheezing trying to dance to the sound of samba, Toei :mad:

Incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruDcMOf3SU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Burkion posted:

Second, Kamen Rider Black definitely is if you can get into the style. If you don't like MOTW plots, I even have a handy 25ish episode guide for you to follow!

I'm not averse to MOTW plots, but I would be interested in that guide.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

First: Kuuga day was the day a TON of Kuuga episodes got uploaded.

Though, given the state of that release, it's honestly not a thing to aspire to.

toanoradian posted:

I'm not averse to MOTW plots, but I would be interested in that guide.

He posted it earlier in the thread; click the ? under his name and look toward the end of his posts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

Cross posting this from the Gaim thread, for anyone who could use it.

"OK, one quick thing to know about Kamen Rider Black- after the first two episodes, the head writer said screw this and left. This is not a joke about how aimless the first ten or so episodes are-this is the reason.

The head writer, for some reason, felt like he was under too much pressure with this all and literally left. Meaning the show had no writer and no direction and it really kinda shows. Also just because something is filler doesn't mean it's BAD. It just has nothing to do with the plot. Black is a fantastic MOTW show, but that is hard to marathon.

I am including some questionably filler things, most notably the Bike focus episodes because the bikes have cahracter-but those are important for the end game. You'll understand.

Now onto the guide!

3 is optional but it shows Black in his first big real super hero moment.
5 is total filler but it has some fun atmosphere
7 Battle Hopper
12 ROADSECTOR
21 BATTLE HOPPER
25 ROADSECTOR
28 This requires a bit of explanation- this is technically filler, but it, at the end, changes the dynamic between Black and a certain villain, and pushes things towards the finale in a subtle way
44 is utter filler and not a great episode, but it more or less leads straight into the next one thematically. You can skip though

There ya go. Kamen Rider Black, distilled to 24 episodes. "

My guide!

I also do birthday parties.

Also let's be entirely honest about Jetman here. The romance has NOTHING to do with the plot-it's just another melodramatic tick on the melodramatic bullshit list that Jetman is made of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought that the romance was the plot? Unless you consider the plot to be four assholes attack humanity until they eventually die.

• Locked thread