Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Forever sculpt, I want to do forever sculpt~

From left to right, these pieces are: fleur de lis knee plate, upper arm plate, and winged shoulder piece. For the shoulder I did a vector of the inquisitorial rosette emblem, taped it to the blank, and sculpted over the top to help keep it even. After it cured I popped it off the blank, took the paper off, and will glue it back on after I do a bit of sanding. Tonight I'm going to do the details for the lower leg, and then this weekend it'll be the other knee and the bracer. And then I will sand forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Has anyone tried doing 3d printing for a costume piece? Is it difficult to get a good finish? I'm going to make a gun from mass effect and I'm thinking about using a Maker Bot.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

McPantserton posted:

Forever sculpt, I want to do forever sculpt~

In my head you called it 'fleur de kni' and it was clever

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

eonblue174 posted:

Has anyone tried doing 3d printing for a costume piece? Is it difficult to get a good finish? I'm going to make a gun from mass effect and I'm thinking about using a Maker Bot.

I haven't done it for costuming, but I have made dozens of parts for projects for school. In general, the makerbot kinda sucks, except for making small parts that don't require much accuracy, on the order of 2-3 inches in the largest dimension, generally for quick demonstrations or proof of concept. What you might be best off doing is making a base out of wood/pvc/whatever, and adding on the little doodads and protrusions you want on top which you could easily 3d-print. However, in general it will be easier, faster, and cheaper to make the parts you want out of wood. As far as prop-gun-making goes, the 501st legion guys make all of their guns typically, try hitting up their site for tips on how they manufacture things to get some ideas of how to do it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

hhhat posted:

In my head you called it 'fleur de kni' and it was clever

I made that joke too!! My husband threatened to disown me. He doesn't appreciate our comedic genius.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I decided to take a break from my other costuming projects and do something small that would improve an existing costume, so I remade the hooks for my splicer. Priming and first layer of paint is down should need another coat or two to get the look I'm going for.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

eonblue174 posted:

I haven't done it, but I looked into it as an idea. For most of your home printers, the size of things you can make is pretty limited. This means that for any decent size prop, you end up having to print it in chunks and then assemble it. The resolution is also iffy, especially if you want something smooth or intricate. If you just want to block out the shapes and detail it otherwise I think its fine.

If you go with a professional printing shop like Shapeways you can get bigger things made and a better resolution, but the price can get steep.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

McPantserton posted:

I made that joke too!! My husband threatened to disown me. He doesn't appreciate our comedic genius.

Nobody does.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Shapeways and the 501st , hadn't though of or heard of both :) And thanks for the other tips, I'll need to watch my sizes for sure. If all else fails I can carve/cast what I need, I'm trying to put in some fancy mechanicals. I'll be sure to put up some pics when I make some progress. Thanks! Also McPantserson, your stuff is awesome and making me want to build my own vacuform in my basement.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

hhhat posted:

Nobody does.

I laughed out loud for a good ten seconds at that. Took me a moment to get it at first, but A+ amazing punnage, keep it up, both of you!

Also, I've been working on my girlfriend's Arcade Sona (League of Legends character) board for several conventions this season. Pics to come as soon as I can get them off my tablet which ran out of battery a few minutes ago. Lasercut all the wood in the lab, been assembling it off and on as time permits over the summer. Its almost ready for painting. Then its time to add the arduino, speakers and lights to play the in-game sound and display the light effects on the ground around it.

target:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

With all the DashCon debacle going on with Tumblr, I think I'm going to cosplay as the ball pit for AFO in two weeks.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

eonblue174 posted:

Shapeways and the 501st , hadn't though of or heard of both :) And thanks for the other tips, I'll need to watch my sizes for sure. If all else fails I can carve/cast what I need, I'm trying to put in some fancy mechanicals. I'll be sure to put up some pics when I make some progress. Thanks! Also McPantserson, your stuff is awesome and making me want to build my own vacuform in my basement.

Thanks! I'm in a weird phase where I've been sculpting so much, I've stopped really thinking about quality, it's this very detached 'beep boop armor piece is in-com-plete' kind of thing so I appreciate the affirmation. :ohdear: I have become so spoiled by our vacuum former, I can't remember what it was like to not have one. I don't want to go back to those dark days. I got a lot of use out of even a smaller one, my first setup was an oven rig with an 18" x 24" draw area from warmplastic.com. I still managed to do a full suit of armor with it, although I had to get creative in a few areas!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hey I'm just popping in here to say that, if anyone sees any yellow trousers with thin black pinstripes, like, anywhere, please let me know via TWITTER or post it here or something.

I know that's a weird request but it's one of the last pieces of the proverbial puzzle.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Any particular style of pants?

Yellow pants are easy to find, if you don't mind trying a marker job on the pinstripes. If you name a style, that helps narrow the search, though -- I can look around.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Or maybe look for white pinstripe pants and dye them?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Trying to pinstripe pants with a marker sounds like a good way to drive yourself to suicide. That pattern is rare enough that I would be tempted to just make them - you will probably have more luck finding an acceptable fabric.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

This lady is waaay smarter than I am.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

McPantserton posted:

Holy cow, that's a good idea! Why I didn't think of that, I'll never know. Thanks!

EDIT: The only problem is that they all seem to be baseball pants, which lack the front pockets I kinda want (and probably don't go well with suspenders, which would be way more accurate than a belt). And most of them have too few stripes. But that's not a dealbreaker.

For reference, THIS is what I'm trying to achieve:

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 18, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ashcans posted:

Trying to pinstripe pants with a marker sounds like a good way to drive yourself to suicide. That pattern is rare enough that I would be tempted to just make them - you will probably have more luck finding an acceptable fabric.

My wife used a fabric marker to recolor an entire shirt for a costume, and then just didn't use it.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Any one know any places that do vacuum molding in Australia? Most of the places I've found only do large batches

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Finished the base of my helmet. Next I'm planning to overlay it with paper mache and paperclay, and sculpt the horns with expanding foam.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
NEVER NOT SCULPTING!

Knee

Bracer

Getting so close to being done with this phase. I'd hoped to get a little farther this weekend than I am but my back is absolutely killing me after ~22 hours of sculpting over 3 days. :gonk:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Ok, I have a question about how to join two fat surfaces together.

I'm making this radio setup out of individual boxes of sintra, one center piece and then the two boxes on each side. I need a way to make sure the two flat surfaces where each box connect will stay together.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

keyboard vomit posted:

Ok, I have a question about how to join two fat surfaces together.

I'm making this radio setup out of individual boxes of sintra, one center piece and then the two boxes on each side. I need a way to make sure the two flat surfaces where each box connect will stay together.

If you don't need to disassemble the piece for travel, I would do this: make all the pieces, but don't fully assemble the two side parts and leave an opening on the backpack part, on the side facing your back. Join the flat surfaces with a few bolts, washers and nuts, at least 3 in a triangle. Then finish assembling the full prop. It would be really sturdy. Use a little bit of lock tight on the nut when getting it set if you don't intend to take the thing apart in the future. Otherwise, coat (with a brush) each flat surface in a little wood glue and wait for it to become tacky. Apply a little bit more glue then join the surfaces. You would need to find a way to compress both parts during the drying process though. If you need to travel with it and disassemble it, I have a hundred ideas but none are very practical. Most of my problems in joining surfaces that need to be easily disassembled involves powerful magnets these days.

I keep playing with the idea of making a Guyver costume based on the movie version.

The parts that look like muscle, and any flexible bits (lower chest/stomach, feet, gloves) would be something like Smooth On Dragon Skin, and most of the armor would be coated in a harder resin, or at the very least the helmet and the upper chest. Thing is, I would need a life cast of myself to work on, and I've never worked with actual molds before or made a life cast. Does any one know any tutorials that exist for professional style molding techniques? Making and releasing the molds, casting, etc? Youtube hasn't turned up anything useful. Mostly just "Check out this naked chick while we pour stuff on her and not comment on what we are doing! Like and subscribe!" If it came down to it, I could do the armor bits in Free Form Habitat with a paper machete/foam underside, but I refuse to just wear a black body suit under the armor. I would like to get the full alien symbiote muscle suit affect. This would end up being an incredibly ambitious and expensive project, built to last. Would be a lot of fun though.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Any tips for layering thin vinyl sheets to give the impression of a thicker piece of leather? I was thinking of maybe putting felt in between them. For reference, I'm trying to make these pleats.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Finally put the finishing touches on my Sanageyama uniform from Kill La Kill this weekend, just in time for SDCC. Could not find the kind of sandals I wanted for the life of me, but it's one of those things that only I will care about or even notice. All in all I'm really happy with how it came out!

(Not dying my hair until the con. Work would probably not be pleased)

The most complicated parts were the badge and the lettering on the back, which I got a ton of help with, but this is my first time actually making pieces for a costume. Maybe someday I'll be vacuum molding and foam sculpting like the rest of the people here.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Ratspeaker posted:

Any tips for layering thin vinyl sheets to give the impression of a thicker piece of leather? I was thinking of maybe putting felt in between them. For reference, I'm trying to make these pleats.

I actually hunted for pleats and almost opened the game before I realized you meant the panels.

Don't use vinyl. You can get leather-look fabric that is not vinyl that is much, much easier to sew [and Skyrim poo poo tends to be more suede-like than shiny leather]. You're spot on with using felt or canvas to give it heft and stiffness, also liberally age the fuckers with paint because even quilted stuff never looks that dimensional. It'll make adding studs WAY easier too.

I can do a bit of digging tomorrow for fabric recommendations if you want 'em.

So close to done on Ryuko. Glove, adding bolts to shoes, styling wig, and it's finished. Schoolgirl costumes are always so finicky and I had to do way more handsewing than expected. Will take daylight shots tomorrow.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Ratspeaker posted:

I've seen dark brown microsuede at JoAnn's that's like an exact match for that ref, right down to the slightly scaley texture. For extra support, I would suggest craft foam sheets if you want it to resemble really thick leather and not just a slightly heavier fabric.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I actually hunted for pleats and almost opened the game before I realized you meant the panels.

Don't use vinyl. You can get leather-look fabric that is not vinyl that is much, much easier to sew [and Skyrim poo poo tends to be more suede-like than shiny leather]. You're spot on with using felt or canvas to give it heft and stiffness, also liberally age the fuckers with paint because even quilted stuff never looks that dimensional. It'll make adding studs WAY easier too.

I can do a bit of digging tomorrow for fabric recommendations if you want 'em.

So close to done on Ryuko. Glove, adding bolts to shoes, styling wig, and it's finished. Schoolgirl costumes are always so finicky and I had to do way more handsewing than expected. Will take daylight shots tomorrow.

Sorry, I'm dumb with words. Panels, right. I could really use some fabric recommendations, since my searches keep bringing me back to vinyl upholstery fabric. For suede, maybe something like this?

I was planning to use rivets for the studs, since it would be easier to punch through the fabric and more secure than regular fastened studs. Do you think fastened studs would work better?

Squarely Circle posted:

I've seen dark brown microsuede at JoAnn's that's like an exact match for that ref, right down to the slightly scaley texture. For extra support, I would suggest craft foam sheets if you want it to resemble really thick leather and not just a slightly heavier fabric.

I did a quick check of Joann's the last time I was near one to see if I could find anything that matched, but got caught up looking in the upholstery section. I guess they would stock it with the regular fabrics?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

The clothes are pretty spot on, but you should consider a wig instead of dying your hair. I think the result will look a lot better - human hair absolutely refuses to act like it's in an anime, dyed or not. Also, Have you considered using green masking tape for the mask? You can remove most of the tackiness by running it over fabric a few times. I'm not sure how you'd go about the white eyes (presumably the same material you've got now), but the wrap of the tape, if done carefully (and maybe darken the edges a bit) could look pretty awesome.

Edit - just spent the lion's share of my Sunday hunched on my floor butchering cardboard and leftover EVA foam to make a carrying case for the greatsword. Still not finished - the stupid thing was long enough that I had to hack apart the 2 sides of the long cardboard box that I found into a single sided container. I'll have to find ANOTHER box, or couple of them, to hack apart into the other half of the case. I'm planning to have it open lengthwise, maybe sealed along the other edge with velcro, then I'll just make a handle out of some straps that'll wrap around it, and I'll be able to carry it like an extremely long suitcase.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 27, 2014

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

screeeeeeeam I'm so happy with how these turned out!!

Soooo I took some educated risks with these sculpts. Normally when you vacuum form it's better if the pieces are simple, and you should make sure that the pieces don't ever cut inward because it makes it very difficult to get the plastic off of the base form. Also the deeper the sculpt, the thinner and more fragile the plastic is in the end. However, I wanted very detailed, deep pieces in the end and my hope was that if I did a simple base plastic pull of thick, plain plastic and a thin, complex pull to glue/rivet on top I could have the best of both worlds. But I didn't know if I'd be able to get the plastic off the sculpts even though it's very thin and flexible until yesterday. But fortunately the thin plastic flexed enough that I could demold my pieces without too much work! WOO!

e. And here is my chainsword blank in progress, not quite done (and how I wish it were, ugh) but I really like how it's coming along. I had to do a real lovely chainsword for my first 40k outfit due to time constraints and all but I still had my original fancy plans this time around and I'm so much better at this poo poo it's not even funny.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 28, 2014

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So surgery was a success and I'm in recovery. Going to have to put off working on Lapras a little longer but it's okay I want to get some costumes I can wear made and once I am fully healed up get back on the Lapras train. So I am currently working on a Lina skin from Dota 2. Flat shoes are gonna be all the rage for me for the next month or so until my leg is all knitted together again so it works out plus it gives me something cool to wear to PAX. Are any of you heading to PAX Prime this year it would be cool to say hi if you guys are.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So surgery was a success and I'm in recovery.

Man. You guys are *really* dedicated to costuming.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

McPantserton posted:

screeeeeeeam I'm so happy with how these turned out!!

Soooo I took some educated risks with these sculpts. Normally when you vacuum form it's better if the pieces are simple, and you should make sure that the pieces don't ever cut inward because it makes it very difficult to get the plastic off of the base form. Also the deeper the sculpt, the thinner and more fragile the plastic is in the end. However, I wanted very detailed, deep pieces in the end and my hope was that if I did a simple base plastic pull of thick, plain plastic and a thin, complex pull to glue/rivet on top I could have the best of both worlds. But I didn't know if I'd be able to get the plastic off the sculpts even though it's very thin and flexible until yesterday. But fortunately the thin plastic flexed enough that I could demold my pieces without too much work! WOO!

These are gorgeous pulls and I'm really enjoying watching this come together. Fantastic job.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
It's been a while ya'll

After dealing we a nightmarish chroming experience I was too burned out/busy with life to finish. After literally a year I've decided that I should be finishing.

Everything is mounted and epoxied into the helmet, just need to do final wiring and mount that into the helmet.

iOS app is up and running as well:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

duros posted:

iOS app is up and running as well:

You know you're going to have to post videos of pretty much all of these happening, right.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

Drone posted:

You know you're going to have to post videos of pretty much all of these happening, right.

From a LONG time ago when I first got the Arduino up and running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zA-PBkdFQc

That should be most of them I dunno keep seeming to add other random things.

Edit: here was a test with the iOS app running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNBY6M8ymc

duros fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 29, 2014

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

hhhat posted:

Man. You guys are *really* dedicated to costuming.

I wouldn't say really dedicated I was making good progress on a project when life interfered and im ready to jump back on board as soon as im able.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

LadyRavenWaves posted:

I wouldn't say really dedicated I was making good progress on a project when life interfered and im ready to jump back on board as soon as im able.

Well my joke fell entirely flat. Maybe if I had put a :v: at the end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
So, I haven't posted here in ages since getting my new job, but I'd just like to show what I've been working on for the past week, getting ready for the premiere of the movie tomorrow. It's finally done.

and compared to a normal dude around 5' 8" tall.

Obligatory JoJo pose.