Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You want long songs? Nile's "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" clocks in at almost 12 minutes, and they've played it live. poo poo owns.

:black101: TREMBLE THE STARS :black101:

I've seen Moonsorrow do Jotunheim (19 minutes), Tulimyrsky (30 minutes) and many other 15 minute+ songs live. Sorry brah but Moonsorrow win (this is generally as well as specifically true).

One day I will see them play all of V: Hävitetty live. If I have to kidnap Ville's pet dog or whatever, I will make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You guys mean to tell me...that bands play their songs live?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJEyKYSlo8

:aaaaa:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You want long songs? Nile's "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" clocks in at almost 12 minutes, and they've played it live. poo poo owns.

UNAS FEEDETH ON THE ENTRAILS OF THE GODS THEMSELVES
BEHOLD ORION! UNAS RISETH

That song is pretty much an all-time classic.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Guy rocks out so hard at a Motorhead concert that he gives himself a subdural:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/heavy-metal-hazard/?_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=health&_r=0

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Anybody heard of Unlocking the Truth? Because they just signed a record deal with Sony. Two of the members are 13 and the other one is 12. Not mentioned: they're from East Flatbush, which isn't exactly Williamsburg in terms of being a music hotbed or in terms of being a hip neighborhood.

Please be gentle on me if they're not actually a metal band, I don't know too much about the genre.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

Anybody heard of Unlocking the Truth? Because they just signed a record deal with Sony. Two of the members are 13 and the other one is 12. Not mentioned: they're from East Flatbush, which isn't exactly Williamsburg in terms of being a music hotbed or in terms of being a hip neighborhood.

Please be gentle on me if they're not actually a metal band, I don't know too much about the genre.

That's...actually somewhat respectable. Good on 'em.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Y-Hat posted:

Last I heard, they were on Warped Tour. Not bad for 2 young kids following their dream.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I mean good on them, but their guitarist is the only real talented one, and their songs are pretty repetitive

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the upside is they're only 13 years old and have decades ahead of them to hone their skills. At that age I thought the pinnacle of achievement was beating Zelda without dying once.

Signing them to a label before they've really built an identity is probably a mistake but money is always a nice thing to have.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

hahaha holy poo poo.

edit: I'm listening to their new song. It's alright, I guess. I'm so 'whatever' about this band now.

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 13, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Varg posted:

I mean good on them, but their guitarist is the only real talented one, and their songs are pretty repetitive

The video of them busking in Times Square from a couple years back that made them internet famous had a half-decent breakdown.

Which reminds me, whatever happened to Gauchos de Acero? Y'know, the ones who did a cover of The Trooper with the little girl singing into a Pikachu mic?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

nutnmunch posted:

He looks (and sounds) like he is sick. Try that versus this:

That's from a few months earlier, and he sounds great.

He's been terrible in every single pro-shot video from Opeth and Bloodbath since 2010

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This is such a great loving live song, and BG are such a magical live band. God drat.

Bought tickets for their show that's in June next year. Thinking ahead like a grown-up, yo.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

They did that and To Dream of Ur at Bogie's in Albany last year, it was loving awesome. Their set was almost 2 loving hours, and all the best stuff was on there (CAAAAST DOOOOWN THEEEE HERETIIIIIC). I love Nile :allears:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I've seen Moonsorrow do Jotunheim (19 minutes), Tulimyrsky (30 minutes) and many other 15 minute+ songs live. Sorry brah but Moonsorrow win (this is generally as well as specifically true).

One day I will see them play all of V: Hävitetty live. If I have to kidnap Ville's pet dog or whatever, I will make it happen.

Man I'm jealous. I haven't seen Moonsorrow since before Tulimyrsky came out and god drat I'd love to see them do that one live.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 13, 2014

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress, how have I not seen Blind Guardian live yet. That song is incredible, it just goes on and on and on and each part is more amazing than the last.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Geisladisk posted:

gently caress, how have I not seen Blind Guardian live yet. That song is incredible, it just goes on and on and on and each part is more amazing than the last.

I watched that, and then I immediately watched the full concert.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

BG is one of the best live shows I've ever seen. If you haven't seen them you're seriously missing out

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Y-Hat posted:

Reading more about their contract apparently they're on the hook for 250k in sales for their debut album in order to get their full contract. Those kids are going to have their little hearts broken and nobody's looking out for their best interests.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just 5 minutes ago the HLN morning news show did a quick piece on them. They're getting quite a bit of exposure, is it unrealistic to think that they'll easily hit that 250k mark?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Just 5 minutes ago the HLN morning news show did a quick piece on them. They're getting quite a bit of exposure, is it unrealistic to think that they'll easily hit that 250k mark?

Robin Thicke's second album, which included what's probably the biggest hit song of 2013, sold 177 000 copies during its first week. His third album sold 24 000 units. The market for full-length records is all but dead.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Reading more about their contract apparently they're on the hook for 250k in sales for their debut album in order to get their full contract. Those kids are going to have their little hearts broken and nobody's looking out for their best interests.

"a deal with Sony that could net them as much as $1.7 million over a possible 6 albums."

That doesn't seem like a good deal to me

"— has inked a guaranteed two-album deal with Sony. The group will reportedly receive $60,000 to record the first disc and possibly as much as $325,000 for the second CD. Sony also has an option to release four more albums from UNLOCKING THE TRUTH that could push the label's financial investment to around $1.7 million ($325,000 for the second album, $400,000 for the third, $450,000 for the fourth and $550,000 for the fifth). It should be noted, however, that the band will only see the real money after an initial $60,000 advance if their debut album sells more than 250,000 copies, a prospect that seems highly unlikely in an age of diminishing record sales."

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Big label deals are always going to look like poo poo, but it's a mediocre metalcore band whose story/gimmick is being marketed, not their music. The music isn't very good, it's just surprisingly competent for tweens. In a few years, nobody would bat an eye at another teenage band. They'll sell a lot of albums for a band of that type, which probably won't be what a major label considers successful. They'll be out of the deal by the time they are 18.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Big label deals are always going to look like poo poo, but it's a mediocre metalcore band whose story/gimmick is being marketed, not their music. The music isn't very good, it's just surprisingly competent for tweens. In a few years, nobody would bat an eye at another teenage band. They'll sell a lot of albums for a band of that type, which probably won't be what a major label considers successful. They'll be out of the deal by the time they are 18.

Oh yeah, it's just surprisingly harsh for a band full of kids that aren't going to make a ton of money anyway. Being signed by Sony should help their social life a lot when they finally get into highschool, though

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I watched that, and then I immediately watched the full concert.

That concert is my all-time favorite concert recording. And Then There Was Silence isn't the highlight though, this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfC09pTc5A

The looks of stunned disbelief on the band's faces at the end is incredible.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Geisladisk posted:

That concert is my all-time favorite concert recording. And Then There Was Silence isn't the highlight though, this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfC09pTc5A

The looks of stunned disbelief on the band's faces at the end is incredible.

That's legitimately one of the most awesome live performances I've ever seen, what an amazing crowd.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, the crowd is half the reason why Blind Guardian concerts are so drat awesome. BG fans are always so incredibly into it (I should know, I am one) and will sing along entire songs all night long.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zodijackylite posted:

Their parents are gonna be 60k in the hole to Sony minus the label's cut of the 3-4000 copies of their album they manage to sell.

m-o-o-n posted:

Robin Thicke's second album, which included what's probably the biggest hit song of 2013, sold 177 000 copies during its first week. His third album sold 24 000 units. The market for full-length records is all but dead.

Cake's last album set the record for lowest selling top Billboard album with 44,000 copies. Taylor Swift's current album at the time was like #3 and only sold around 30,000, and that was in 2011. Those kids have no chance in hell of coming close to 250k, and we know whichever lawyer they hired isn't looking out for their best interests because they signed the deal.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 14, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

Yeah, the crowd is half the reason why Blind Guardian concerts are so drat awesome. BG fans are always so incredibly into it (I should know, I am one) and will sing along entire songs all night long.
When I saw At the Gates in 2008, you couldn't hear Tomas Lindberg (or the rest of the band :psyduck:) over the crowd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMG428Tl3L0

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Those kids got hosed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nerve posted:

Those kids got hosed

At least they aren't alone, because pretty much every musician who signs a contract is getting hosed somewhere.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Nordick posted:

Blind Guardian remains my favourite metal act I've ever seen live, and the crowds have been such a huge part of that. First time I saw them, on top of the amazing performance and awesome energy from the crowd, everyone was singing the chorus to Valhalla leaving the building and walking down the street after the show. It was amazing. Some bands just seem to draw out incredible crowds, and no metal band I've seen does it quite like Blind Guardian.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Velocirocktor posted:

Blind Guardian remains my favourite metal act I've ever seen live, and the crowds have been such a huge part of that. First time I saw them, on top of the amazing performance and awesome energy from the crowd, everyone was singing the chorus to Valhalla leaving the building and walking down the street after the show. It was amazing. Some bands just seem to draw out incredible crowds, and no metal band I've seen does it quite like Blind Guardian.

Manowar also brings out fun crowds.

Brothers of Metal.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Nordick posted:

This is one of the reasons I go see Sabaton. Every concert I've been to, the crowd is super energetic and sings along, and the band sounds great and tight and they always seem so happy to be playing here.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Sabbat's the same way. The crowds are always super-hardcore fans who sing every song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp9QFY-7-38

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Metallica in a new Sports Center commercial. Pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoPYP-58SHU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Metallica in a new Sports Center commercial. Pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoPYP-58SHU

Man if golf had Battery as it's intro music, I'd watch it every time it was on.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pain of Salvation NA tour

Fingers crossed Daniel doesn't get another case of flesh eating bacteria. Or have their label go under. Or whatever other freak accidents occur preventing them from playing state-side, again.

Road Salt 1 & 2 certainly aren't my favorite albums, but I'm still super excited.

Pitpit
Apr 12, 2010

Now it's my turn to be angry.
SOLDIAAAAAAAAAAA. Holy gently caress the chorus in this is amazing. Holy gently caress the whole song is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epkjziibk0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Oh hey, Overkill has a new album coming out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_c3GBrWsao I kind of dig it.

Pitpit posted:

SOLDIAAAAAAAAAAA. Holy gently caress the chorus in this is amazing. Holy gently caress the whole song is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epkjziibk0Y

That whole album is amazing, and for my money it's the best metal album ever.