Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The episodes leaked too? Not just the scripts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

The episodes leaked too? Not just the scripts?

Yeah, but only the first one is readily available. The second is confirmed real, but no one's been able to get the full episode. 3-6 are rumored to be floating around in the dark corners of the internet too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Were they using music from the Dark Knight as temp music in Deep Breath? If it wasn't, it was very similar.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

TL posted:

Were they using music from the Dark Knight as temp music in Deep Breath? If it wasn't, it was very similar.

I noticed that too. It was really weird. I'm also fine never seeing the Victorian people again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah to clarify, we watched the work print.

I'm honestly not sure what they're going to cut- or what they could add. Which is why I feel perfectly fine making my opinion on the episode known here. If it was one of those deals where it was just random scenes or incomplete in obvious glaring ways, or with entire scenes missing, that'd be one thing.

Here there is only one slight jump cut, that seemed to shave off a few seconds at most, near the very end. Beyond that, it looked whole, just without the finished effects and transitions.

And those did not affect my watch what so ever outside of an early laugh at a super incomplete T-Rex mock up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah, I think the actual video editing is done, ie. those are the shots we'll see for that length in that order in the final episode

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If that's true, there's some bizarre rough shots in there.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
It also didn't spoiler us on the most important thing, as it still used Matt Smith's opening credits. Giant Winking Capaldi head please.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I thought the audio mixing was pretty rough as well, sometime the sound effects almost drowned out the actors.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
There's definitely a part near the end where what Capaldi is saying doesn't match his mouth, because there's supposed to be a cut of them overlooking the city while he says that stuff (I think there's a little message that indicates such), so I probably would say there's still some actual video editing to be done.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I really dislike the whole Clara "you are old now I don't know who you are" Last season she literally went through his entire past and visited every version of him, should should be aware that he can be old and that he regenerates and changes none of this should be a surprise at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But-but-but AUDIENCE SURROGATE :qq:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I really dislike the whole Clara "you are old now I don't know who you are" Last season she literally went through his entire past and visited every version of him, should should be aware that he can be old and that he regenerates and changes none of this should be a surprise at all.

To be fair, there was a line or two in the 50th that suggested she didn't really remember any of that.

kant
May 12, 2003

Bown posted:

yeah, I think the actual video editing is done, ie. those are the shots we'll see for that length in that order in the final episode

And here I was hoping they'd cut most of the first 40 mins...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Well even The Doctor doesn't quite know who he'll be with each new regeneration. They do often have markedly different personalities. And this is a whole new set of regenerations, which adds another unknown to the equation, for her.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thexerox123 posted:

Well even The Doctor doesn't quite know who he'll be with each new regeneration. They do often have markedly different personalities. And this is a whole new set of regenerations, which adds another unknown to the equation, for her.

Turns out the Doctor was the Master all along, starts traveling back along his timeline to gently caress with himself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Turns out the Doctor was the Master all along, starts traveling back along his timeline to gently caress with himself.

I'd never watch a Doctor Who series like this, but I'd love a series with this premise. It sounds like a good comic series that you'd see from Mark Waid or Brian K. Vaughn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

I'd never watch a Doctor Who series like this, but I'd love a series with this premise. It sounds like a good comic series that you'd see from Mark Waid or Brian K. Vaughn.

Kurt Busiek wrote a nice turn on this in Avengers Forever where Kang and Immortus were more at odds with each other than ever before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

marktheando posted:

To be fair, there was a line or two in the 50th that suggested she didn't really remember any of that.

If nothing else she still remembers hanging out with 10 and "Captain Grumpy".

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I really liked the scene where the Dr and Clara where bickering in the restaurant. Reminded me of 6 and Peri's relationship. Hope there is a lot more of that banter as they seemed to play off each other pretty well.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Just watched it.
Guys I think Missy is the Rani.
Just saying.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Missy is either the Master or one of those long-standing acquaintances the Doctor has known for centuries but conveniently entirely offscreen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chairman Capone posted:

...or one of those long-standing acquaintances the Doctor has known for centuries but conveniently entirely offscreen.

I loving hate this so much.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stairs posted:

Just watched it.
Guys I think Missy is the Rani.
Just saying.

My Doctor Who lore is really amateur. Would making the Rani someone who calls the Doctor her boyfriend a step up or down or lateral?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mind the walrus posted:

My Doctor Who lore is really amateur. Would making the Rani someone who calls the Doctor her boyfriend a step up or down or lateral?

In the old series? No.

In the new series, whith Moffat at the helm and the shipping fandom in the back? Yes.

edit: Yeah sorry that made no sense,I misunderstood your question. Anyway, it's dumb as hell but since Moffat can write only one type of female character it would totally be something he would do.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 15, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Well at least before the Rani was an independent woman who didn't define herself by a man. Making this Missy the Rani would be making a terrible lovely character even worse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that was my gut instinct but I honestly could not remember if the Rani is someone fans liked or disliked, and whether or not this Missy would be an improvement. Thanks guys.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that was my gut instinct but I honestly could not remember if the Rani is someone fans liked or disliked, and whether or not this Missy would be an improvement. Thanks guys.

The Rani is a genius. We know this because the Doctor and the Master keep telling us this, and because she made a land mine that turns you into a tree.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, I think the relative popularity of the character simply comes from the fact that the series simply didn't have that many timelords. I mean, with a distinct personality, not background characters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What are the odds of this going Missy ...sippi River?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

e X posted:

Honestly, I think the relative popularity of the character simply comes from the fact that the series simply didn't have that many timelords. I mean, with a distinct personality, not background characters.

Since we were just talking about long-standing acquaintances the Doctor has known for centuries but conveniently entirely offscreen, this is actually how the Rani was introduced. She went to school with the Doctor and the Master.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

marktheando posted:

The Rani is a genius. We know this because the Doctor and the Master keep telling us this, and because she made a land mine that turns you into a tree.

To be fair that's quite the land mine

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

moths posted:

What are the odds of this going Missy ...sippi River?

Doctor Who SPOILERS: "Doctor, have you ever gone down the Missy-sippi...River?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Given the leaked episodes any rename of the spoiler thread could be overreacted to, so I suggest something completely off the wall that would never happen.

You know, like the Pond/River thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Since we were just talking about long-standing acquaintances the Doctor has known for centuries but conveniently entirely offscreen, this is actually how the Rani was introduced. She went to school with the Doctor and the Master.

No one is saying she isn't a lovely character.

We're saying Moffat doesn't need to make her WORSE.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Well, RTD made the Master the Doctor's ex, so Moffat has to draw even somehow.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 15, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Given the leaked episodes any rename of the spoiler thread could be overreacted to, so I suggest something completely off the wall that would never happen.

Doctor Who SPOILERS: Clara meets the Doctor as a child and turns him brave

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Something really stupid, entirely based on a character's name?

Doctor Who SPOILERS: Oswald in the book depository.

Burkion posted:

No one is saying she isn't a lovely character.

We're saying Moffat doesn't need to make her WORSE.

I never said anyone was saying that! Just providing some Rani background for posters like mind the walrus who was asking about her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

e X posted:

Well, RTD made the Mater the Doctor's ex, so Moffat has to draw even somehow.

Let's be super honest here.

They were always making out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bown posted:

Doctor Who SPOILERS: Clara meets the Doctor as a child and turns him brave

I only read a little bit of the first script. People are just joking about this being a thing, right? ...Right?

• Locked thread