Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

New SKUs already hitting the ground!*

*available this holiday season

remember when MS said there were only going to be 2 SKUs for windows 8

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they cant resist

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

remember when MS said there were only going to be 2 SKUs for windows 8

lol

there are now only 12

per language

so...432 SKU's

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the second SKU has hit the tower

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I have a thinkpad netbook from 2011 and it Suits My Needs. probably because I don't feel the need to play video games on the go. glad to see they're coming back in style :)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

infernal machines posted:

requiring airprint for 100% print compatibility and zero-config printing isn't really making things hard for anyone but poo poo-tier printer manufacturers

while this is true, it is also poo poo easy for apple to just say "sorry vendors, while airprint is great yadda yadda, read pg. 1285 pph 5 section 4 where we say if in conditions we need to.... yea.. we're now providing base drivers for all common make/models of wifi enabled printers.. sorry"

it'd be a new line in the settings app under general "Printers" to set up a printer by hand instead of having airprint. woopdiedoo

still will prolly be better than msft's version

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
since they actually license airprint, there is slightly less than any reason for apple to do this.

but yeah, it'd be nice

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

since they actually license airprint, there is slightly less than any reason for apple to do this.

but yeah, it'd be nice

true, i'm just saying, if for whatever reason it ever came to the point where microsoft had a TV ad "And it works with all printers, not just 'certain ones' *camera pan to sad dog looking at a laser printer*", apple could shut that poo poo down in 0.1 seconds.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
do people actually use airprint?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes. if they own an iDevice they do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I printed something today!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes. if they own an iDevice they do

you forgot the all important "and need to print" part

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

just gonna leave this here

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

you forgot the all important "and need to print" part

who doesn't need to print?

theadder posted:

just gonna leave this here

you knew this was coming. this was the next logical backwards step between the start screen then the menu people actually want

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

i like how

i like how that too

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

who doesn't need to print?

i print so rarely that even if it cost me $1/sheet at a kinko's (not that they have those anymore) it'd probably still be cheaper than buying & maintaining a printer

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ads on the start menu is the first step in the xboneificaion of the pc

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

graph posted:

i like how that too
didnt think someone would say it but then

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i hope they put ads on that thing

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
yeah, the windows vista/7 icons can last until 2017 or so

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There's gotta be at least a few icons from Windows 3.1 still in there right?

edit:

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 15, 2014

pram
Jun 10, 2001
DATAEASE

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow that mouse cursor is super hosed mate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're in w8 too

sure windows hasn't had dos support in 14 years, but we'd better keep the icons in there for legacy purposes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually, odds are there's some hardcoded resource link in something important that will break if the icon it points to isn't at an exact object location and byte offset in the file

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm the

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

actually, odds are there's some hardcoded resource link in something important that will break if the icon it points to isn't at an exact object location and byte offset in the file
bring back dll hell

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

id like to tell u all each one of u that im using osx

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOgOP_aqqtg

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh my god i just noticed the windows 7 icons in the windows 8 area
jfc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

isn't the precise point of having the calendar and mail tiles be that big so that they can be showing information on them

why are they just big and blank in those screenshots

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

why are there windows 8 apps in the legacy quick launch menu

why the gently caress is the pc settings icon that big

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

why are there windows 8 apps in the legacy quick launch menu

that's the metro settings. distinct frmo the control panel with different options. you see this was a good idea beacase

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm betting that's so normal people have an easier time finding it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I'm the big space wasting tiles put in the start menu as a gently caress you to consumers for not liking the start screen

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the continued mixture of flat and 3d icons is really loving poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
For some reason Microsoft just never sees fit to update all of the icons used by the base OS. Windows 9 will probably have some slightly new visual style to it by the time it comes out so it'll be even more of a mess visually

• Locked thread