Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

MeramJert posted:

Yeah but what if you're going back for like, a week or two? I haven't found anything good.

Then you're kinda screwed. Month is like the minimum unless you get Tmo pay as you go (which is like the same price in the end really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yeah that's what I thought. The US isn't really set up to handle "visitors"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. The US isn't really set up to handle "visitors"

AT&T airport stores will happily price gouge you though. 80 bucks for 3GB data and some voice calls. I think we are just spoiled with cheap internet, buy from a newspaper stall and then call it the day.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

AT&T airport stores will happily price gouge you though. 80 bucks for 3GB data and some voice calls. I think we are just spoiled with cheap internet, buy from a newspaper stall and then call it the day.

No, we aren't spoiled. The US just sucks rear end. Maybe Canada, too, but I don't know anything about Canada. Getting a cheap, prepaid sim card good enough to last me a week for a reasonable price has been easy in every other place I've been to.

e: Seriously I don't know how you're always so enthusiastic about visiting the US. Every time I go back I think "ugh, I need to pay $80 for a sim card and I need to get a car and actually drive places myself or I'm screwed." Either that or make very specific travel plans before I visit. It's just a huge headache you don't have to deal with when visiting most other places. Everywhere I've been to in Asia or Europe you can basically land in the airport with no plan and just figure it all out as you go along. In the US I end up standing on a snowy street corner at midnight waiting for an hour for a relative to pick me up, because there's no reasonably priced alternatives for someone visiting for a week.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 15, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MeramJert posted:

No, we aren't spoiled. The US just sucks rear end. Maybe Canada, too, but I don't know anything about Canada. Getting a cheap, prepaid sim card good enough to last me a week for a reasonable price has been easy in every other place I've been to.

I'd bash US cell service more, but I've lived in Japan recently.

edit: Goddammit, you're making me hate America again already and I'm not even back yet.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 15, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MeramJert posted:

e: Seriously I don't know how you're always so enthusiastic about visiting the US. Every time I go back I think "ugh, I need to pay $80 for a sim card and I need to get a car and actually drive places myself or I'm screwed." Either that or make very specific travel plans before I visit. It's just a huge headache you don't have to deal with when visiting most other places. Everywhere I've been to in Asia or Europe you can basically land in the airport with no plan and just figure it all out as you go along. In the US I end up standing on a snowy street corner at midnight waiting for an hour for a relative to pick me up, because there's no reasonably priced alternatives for someone visiting for a week.

Yeah, I'm also not a big fan of the US. My parents live in a suburb of Boston and it's basically impossible for me to do anything when I get there since my parents live out in suburbia and there's no like, spare car for me to use while I'm there.

The sim card thing is another annoyance, and all the other issues with the US these days like these cool guys:

And the whole political/social climate these days, ugh. I really have no desire to move back but I also want to leave China.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 15, 2014

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I wanna watch a tv show about those guys palling around, awkwardly ordering food with guns.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

"Hey I'm going to Starbucks you want anything?"

"Yeah, hold on I'll come with you. Just gotta throw a new magazine in my AK."

It's like some weird libertarian dream come true.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The crazy thing is these people think they're advancing their cause.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just live in Hong Kong Magna :smug:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

I thought you were doing like a contrast thing with the first guy being a gay urban lame latte hipster because somehow the gun initially blended into his jacket to my colorblind eyes.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Christ I don't belong there: I wouldn't be able to stop laughing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

And the whole political/social climate these days, ugh. I really have no desire to move back but I also want to leave China.

Me too.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I thought that's what Canada is for.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

I thought that's what Canada is for.

Canada is hard to immigrate to though :(

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I think it's weird they are carrying the guns but I wouldn't be scared.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Admit it, you say that because they're all white.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Are you saying blacks aren't allowed to carry guns?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
In China they're definitely not.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
What a racist country.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Those armored bank car guys in China have very poor trigger discipline.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

MeramJert posted:

Magna Kaser posted:

Me too.

I hear you guys. I'm in the US right now and I pretty much hate it all. Save for a few things like being able to see friends and family more often and having a nice motorcycle it it kinda sucks. I'm fleeing to SF, California in hopes that it's better in regards to the social/political stuff. But ultimately I wanna move back to Asia it's so much nicer over there, I don't know how but I feel like I hate America more and more each day.

What I'm saying is, consider yourselves lucky. Come back for career advancement if you must. But really, don't come back.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SB35 posted:

I'm fleeing to SF, California in hopes that it's better in regards to the social/political stuff.

Haha!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Anything is better than Indiana.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SB35 posted:

Anything is better than Indiana.

Ooooh, ouch. Serious contender for worst state east of the Mississippi.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What about actual Mississippi?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Without a doubt the strongest contender, but by no means guaranteed to win year on year.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SB35 posted:

I hear you guys. I'm in the US right now and I pretty much hate it all. Save for a few things like being able to see friends and family more often and having a nice motorcycle it it kinda sucks. I'm fleeing to SF, California in hopes that it's better in regards to the social/political stuff. But ultimately I wanna move back to Asia it's so much nicer over there, I don't know how but I feel like I hate America more and more each day.

What I'm saying is, consider yourselves lucky. Come back for career advancement if you must. But really, don't come back.

Indiana is terrible. There's only a few places I feel I could live in the US, and the Bay Area ain't bad, but it is incredibly expensive, so that sucks.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
For all its bullshit I like the USA. Just my two cents there.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a great time while here, it's been 8 days and I haven't had a bad day. I miss Tianjin and work and my life there but everything here has been great. Of course I have been in Boston and college campuses which are like the best things ever and I'm sure if you dropped me off in Eden Prairie, Minnesota I'd be singing a different tune.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shut up Minnesota is great. Probably the best Midwestern state if you don't want to live in Chicago.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

Shut up Minnesota is great. Probably the best Midwestern state if you don't want to live in Chicago.

Some severely harsh qualifiers you have there, though.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Minnesota is great but Eden Prairie is like the biggest suburbia ever and I would not do well there if I had to live there right now.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm interviewing for a job in Madison Wisconsin. I think the midwest is pretty sick tbh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Madison is a good town. Population what, 300,000? With 60,000 college students.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Madison is where I was living before I went to China and I would move back in a second, it is better than Denver and I hope you get that job.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm interviewing for both Madison and Pittsburgh right now... I don't know which I'd prefer tbh cause I have a soft spot for Pittsburgh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I have some friends in Madison and they say it's almost as boring as Maine.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

MeramJert posted:

What about actual Mississippi?

Depends on where you live. 80% of the state is dirt poor, 10% is stuck in High School Pom Pom local celebrity mode, and then there's the 10% that's livable.

It is also called Madison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

I have some friends in Madison and they say it's almost as boring as Maine.

Boring is a word that describes the person, not the place.