Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

GrimSqueaker posted:

I've got a bridge to sell to you.

L Ron Hubbard spotted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

This is how you crash out of a Grand Tour, fracture your leg, ride up a Cat 1, say thank you and good bye to your team and then get in the car. None of that, "Oh I got hairline fractures in my wrists, honest!"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pocket posted:

This is how you crash out of a Grand Tour, fracture your leg, ride up a Cat 1, say thank you and good bye to your team and then get in the car. None of that, "Oh I got hairline fractures in my wrists, honest!"

True. Hopefully Quintana roasts Froomey at the Giro and he fakes another injury to try for the worlds.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Withnail posted:

Cancellara drops out.

Well he can do whatever he wants I guess.

:c00lbutt:

Not homo

Wow. At this rate is the finish going to be two guys on the Champs Élysées?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They took their time diagnosing Froome's injury. I'd have thought they'd have him in in an MRI or CAT scanner within a few hours of the end of the race.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

goatface posted:

They took their time diagnosing Froome's injury. I'd have thought they'd have him in in an MRI or CAT scanner within a few hours of the end of the race.

Had to photoshop some x-rays and pay off a doctor.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Saw how Tony was riding and didn't fancy his chances on the TT stage.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vuelta's gonna be a mad house

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

strangemusic posted:

goatface posted:

I'm telling you, last man standing. There'll be a solitary domestique riding into Paris on his own, stopping every 10 minutes to have a drink and massage his bad knee.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

List of favourite who abandoned the tour :

1958 : Jacques Anquetil, Abandon due to a disease.
1960 : Roger Rivière, Crashed in descent, so badly injured he remained paraplegic.
1968 : Raymond Poulidor Crashed with a motorcycle
1971 : Luis Ocaña, crashed going downhill after leading by more than 8min over Merckx in the general.
1980 : Bernard Hinault, Abandon for a knee injury
2014 : Chris Froome et Alberto Contador (Contador released a video today for his fans, it's in spanish)

Nibali is the top favourite by far but we haven't see him and Astana in the high mountain yet, will he be as good in high altitude, long col and pass ? Can Astana avoid getting caught in echelon on the flat stage ? Paris is still a long road ahead.
For the podium,it is very open, with the two top favourites out of the race it's an unique chance for many riders, they will give it all, some may want to gamble and go all in with long range attack. It will be difficult to control for Astana and Sky.
The Top 10 is even more open, anyone within the top 25 may come back in the Top 10 if they can catch the right breakaway.

Stage 11 Besançon / Oyonnax 187.5km

EN - Stage Analysis - Stage 11 (Besançon > Oyonnax)

Mountain passes & hills

Km 141.0 - Côte de Rogna 7.6 km at 4.9% - category 3
Km 148.5 - Côte de Choux 1.7 km at 6.5% - category 3
Km 152.5 - Côte de Désertin 3.1 km at 5.2% - category 4
Km 168.0 - Côte d'Échallon 3 km at 6.6% - category 3

Street View tour of Cote de Desertin
Street View tour of Cote d Echallon

Intermediate sprint & Finish

Weather forecast

Temp : 25-29°C, Wind < 10km/h

Stage 11 Winner odds

Time schedule

Start : 12h50
Finish : 17h05 (44 km/h) 17h17 (42 km/h) 17h31 (40 km/h)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Sagan's collared shirt is ridiculous.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

strangemusic posted:

the 1998 edition was the last tour in my memory with so many high profile people dropping out, but let's not revisit *that* clusterfuck.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Hey what about Rasmussen? He was in yellow.

Hey crazy folk, ITV showed off Contador's crash bike along side the broken frame.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Tony Martin's got a loving big head/small neck combo going.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Ever been any TdF deaths?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

TraderStav posted:

Ever been any TdF deaths?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France#Deaths

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's safer than track racing. Or at least safer than track racing used to be.

Safer than the Giro too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_cyclists_who_died_during_a_race

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Tom Simpson famously died on the mont ventoux, plenty of specators died and I know of a frenchman who died on a resting day whilst taking a swim.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

A spectator was killed I think by a police moto? At the stage I went to in 09

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They found a body on the Alpe one year I think.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

A spectator was killed I think by a police moto? At the stage I went to in 09

Yep: 2009: 18 July, Stage 14: A spectator in her 60s was struck and killed by a police motorcycle while crossing a road along the route near Wittelsheim.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

quote:

2002: A seven-year-old boy, Melvin Pompele, died near Retjons after running in front of the caravan

:(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, now they have a car with a recorded message about not crossing the road or running into the road when the caravan goes past.

When it was in Cambridge it went past nearly an hour after the caravan, but they did their best you know

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hey, you guys wanna see Europcar's Quéméneur and Réza make bedroom eyes at a cycling themed bottle of beer? you're in luck

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They are hitting social media hard with those beers, it's a Geneva bike shop that has rebranded a German beer and is dishing them out to everyone cycling related they can get a hold of. Drank one of those during the cobbled stage. P good beer, would drink again.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Disappointed by the lack of rest day drama.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

dema posted:

Disappointed by the lack of rest day drama.

I know. Where's the hotel room raids?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I hope Valverde's getting lots of rest and vitamins.

He's been quiet. Too quiet. He's up to something. I just know it.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Phinney is on the rebound!

https://vine.co/v/MQZJIZb1W6P

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Looks like flat bars is the way to be :smug:

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
The crash between Contador's bike and Vanmarcke's bike was real.

Paddyb posted:

I hope Valverde's getting lots of rest and vitamins.

He's been quiet. Too quiet. He's up to something. I just know it.

If the size of breakfast is any indication, he may try something today :

It's Indurain 50th birthday today, happy birthday Miguel,

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Elmiger, Delaplace and Lemoine with 6'47" over the peloton.

14h00 Start of Broadcasts
16h00 First climb
17h15 Finish

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/live/aso/

http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/
http://www.cyclingfans.com/tour-de-france/live
http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
I wish NBCSN didn't use almost half of the TdF airtime for commercials and then basically only show highlights. I don't watch this poo poo just to see the sprints. I want to see the sights, the crowd and absorb it all in. NBC just doesn't care about the experience at all, it's like an even shittier NASCAR to them.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Does the green jersey have to finish the tour?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

LastCaress posted:

Does the green jersey have to finish the tour?

Yes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Twisc posted:

I wish NBCSN didn't use almost half of the TdF airtime for commercials and then basically only show highlights. I don't watch this poo poo just to see the sprints. I want to see the sights, the crowd and absorb it all in. NBC just doesn't care about the experience at all, it's like an even shittier NASCAR to them.

This was infuriating, I just plunked the $15 for the iPad app and it's fantastic. I just scratch my head as to why they wait until the race is 15-20% underway to begin coverage. I want to see the start and opening commentary when I eat my oatmeal!

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
RIP Talansky

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>

TraderStav posted:

This was infuriating, I just plunked the $15 for the iPad app and it's fantastic. I just scratch my head as to why they wait until the race is 15-20% underway to begin coverage. I want to see the start and opening commentary when I eat my oatmeal!

I was thinking about buying the desktop version as I only have a Galaxy S4 and my computer. If the desktop version is the same I might pay the $23 whatever to not have to watch this on US TV.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Talansky can't even motopace behind the cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

TraderStav posted:

This year has been different but there are usually really really boring stages flat stages, where nothing happens. Beyond the break away forming, the peloton can roll 100km and nothing of note to report. The presenters have it hard enough not repeating themselves three times on the exciting stages.