Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CCB just sent out an email blast; Catador renewals are live. Current members have a week to pony up, and then new members after that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I'd like to know if I can sign up and pay under my friends name and member number that we split last year. He has no problem picking the bottles up but doesn't feel like partaking (ponying up the cash) this year.

"John Doe, Member 0001, Atothesquiz's email, credit card, and billing address". I know it would still be listed on his name which both him and I are both fine with. It was originally listed in his name because he lives in Tampa and I dont and he would beable to utilize the 10% off that he paid for.

Girlkisser, any ideas?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Per the email, the original member MUST be the member renewing.

You should be able to just sign up on his behalf and pay with your own card like you said.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

a worthy uhh posted:

Per the email, the original member MUST be the member renewing.

You should be able to just sign up on his behalf and pay with your own card like you said.

Yeah, he forwarded me the email already. This is exactly what we'd like to do, we just didn't want to put our membership at risk by doing it without asking.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

expensive beer day!!

Case of Even More Jesus

Then bottle shop got in

Against the Grain : Citra rear end Down , Black Butte XVI , a Tired Hands Belgian IPA collab, and Clown Shoes Ride the Lion.

Two beer trades showed up today too.

Egads.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
How is Alesmith's My Bloody Valentine? The grocery store nearby has bombers at $2 each.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Coco13 posted:

How is Alesmith's My Bloody Valentine? The grocery store nearby has bombers at $2 each.

Great when fresh, but I've never had 6 month old Bloody Valentine. Hops will be long gone, but it has quite a bit of malt. I'd buy one at $2 just to see how bad it aged, but I wouldn't expect much.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
To give you an idea of how much people love pumpkin beers, one of the big micro distributors here in Florida is pretty much "headlined" by Shipyard brewing company. So much so that Shipyard even has a brewpub in Orlando. Shipyard's beer is all complete poo poo (Smashed Blueberry excepting), but people love Pumpkinhead or whatever it's called and it drives a substantial percentage of their annual sales. Pumpkin beer moves like hotcakes.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Docjowles posted:

Depends how much you like IPA's and how hard it is for you to get an outstanding fresh one over there. If you adore hops, it's certainly a world-class IIPA and will probably be worth it to you.

Fair point. I'd be surprised if it was less than £12/$20 for a bomber, but that's not unusual for high ABV/limited release craft beers in the UK. Brewdog, Beavertown, Magic Rock and a few others have been asking for ~$18-24 for some of their limited releases/barrel aged stouts, and that's often only for a 330-375ml bottle.

I haven't had a good fresh IIPA since I was last on the west coast, so I'll probably try to pick a couple up.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Looks like New Holland has started appearing in CT for the first time. Am I right in assuming that the general consensus is that Dragon's Milk is the only worthwhile beer they make? I feel like I've seen that said in this thread a number of times over the years.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So my local recently came into possession of some cases of 2011 CW BBA Stout and 2012 GI Night Stalker that were just hanging out at a local distributor's warehouse. I picked up a four pack of the former, and a bomber of the latter.

The CW Stout has not aged particularly well. It's a solid BA stout, but still a bit too thin on mouthfeel to get me overexcited.

Popped the Night Stalker tonight to give it a shot - and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much. I thought I heard some rumors of infection, and some reviews on Untappd were blowing up this beer. I think it's drinking really loving well right now. This is a big, roasty stout with a lot of chocolate and a bit of tart, but bittersweet finish.

Reminds me of some of my favorite stouts, Surly Darkness and Founders Imperial Stout, with how dense and how much tobacco/leather flavor it has going for it. I can see how it might be a divisive beer, but this is right up my alley. Definitely a steal at $9.99 and I think I'll have to try and pick up more if my store still has it in...

Edit: Just looked up some reviews, and apparently it is the BCBS base but dry hopped instead of barrel-aged. Go figure. Guess I just really like roasty/hoppy stouts!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

RiggenBlaque posted:

Looks like New Holland has started appearing in CT for the first time. Am I right in assuming that the general consensus is that Dragon's Milk is the only worthwhile beer they make? I feel like I've seen that said in this thread a number of times over the years.

The Poet and Incorrigible are great, the latter especially so at the price. Blue Sunday is really good on draft, but i've not had the same results out of the bottle, sadly.

speaking of sad results out of the bottle, an investor whose friend is one of the owners of Full Tilt Brewing dropped off five of their beers with the hope of getting our "expert" opinion. well, out of the pale, stout, pumpkin, cream, and raspberry wheat, the only one that was mildly tolerable/not flawed was the stout, and no way would i drink a full bottle of that. everything else was terrible and clearly had fermentation problems... and the raspberry wheat is one of the worst beers i've ever tasted. it was like that Wild Blue poo poo except not as sweet... or maybe Kool Aid with an unpleasant bitterness. five full tilt drainpours.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Just had the Bell's offering in the beer camp pack. Clear winner for me. Really excellent beer in my opinion. Dark chocolate dipped cherries, molasses, toffee. Mmmmmmmmmmm...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

RiggenBlaque posted:

Pilgrim's Dole is also loving awesome and it just came out again. What great timing! For even better results, it was priced at $9.59 here instead of $15.99, presumably by accident. Their Night Tripper and Black Tulip were pretty good too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

funkybottoms posted:

speaking of sad results out of the bottle, an investor whose friend is one of the owners of Full Tilt Brewing dropped off five of their beers with the hope of getting our "expert" opinion. well, out of the pale, stout, pumpkin, cream, and raspberry wheat, the only one that was mildly tolerable/not flawed was the stout, and no way would i drink a full bottle of that. everything else was terrible and clearly had fermentation problems... and the raspberry wheat is one of the worst beers i've ever tasted. it was like that Wild Blue poo poo except not as sweet... or maybe Kool Aid with an unpleasant bitterness. five full tilt drainpours.

Yeah, I figured that people must do this and what really interests me is what they do with that data. Does the brewer think that their raspberry garbage wheat actually tastes good? And when they get a wholeheartedly negative review from a panel of experts, why do they then push that product to the public? The thought process has to be basically that craft beer sells regardless of if it's good or awful and oh well, but I am always amazed by what new brewpubs think is acceptable.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Eejit posted:

Yeah, I figured that people must do this and what really interests me is what they do with that data. Does the brewer think that their raspberry garbage wheat actually tastes good? And when they get a wholeheartedly negative review from a panel of experts, why do they then push that product to the public? The thought process has to be basically that craft beer sells regardless of if it's good or awful and oh well, but I am always amazed by what new brewpubs think is acceptable.

these were all contract-brewed by some place in Baltimore, so i'm thinking they need to find a new arrangement. based on their BA reviews, i'd wonder if i'd gotten a bad batch... except that the same flaws were present in four different beers. guess it's homerism run rampant.

oh, the other sadness bottles we opened came from Strangeways here in Richmond, so apologies in advance to the goon who's about to get them. really don't know what the gently caress is happening over there, because it's almost like they don't know they've got a serious brett problem going on... oh, and the difference between their ratings on RB and BA is pretty crazy, definitely some people trying to bump up trade value on BA.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 16, 2014

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

RiggenBlaque posted:

As others have said, The Poet is a pretty fantastic oatmeal stout. I also think the Cabin Fever brown is pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of brown ales anyway. I also really like their Full Circle kolsch. The White Hatter is also interesting in a messy hopped wit sort of way.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Checked out Gastropod, which is the brewpub of Epic Ales in Seattle. So unfortunately, they were able to take a step further on one of the worst beers I've ever had. Oceanic Funk was a sour with a smoky malt and konbu added to it. It's not just weird and smoky, there's a fishy/ocean funk component too.

Plus side, they do a pig roast where you can fill up plates for all you can eat freshly roasted pig and grilled corn. The other beers I tried were creative yet inoffensive. Solid gose and a Belgian style ipa with spruce, overall I thought it was a worthwhile trip if in Seattle.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

oh, the other sadness bottles we opened came from Strangeways here in Richmond, so apologies in advance to the goon who's about to get them. really don't know what the gently caress is happening over there, because it's almost like they don't know they've got a serious brett problem going on... oh, and the difference between their ratings on RB and BA is pretty crazy, definitely some people trying to bump up trade value on BA.

everything I had from them when I visited was fair-to-middling, but their prices were what really threw me - $5 for a taster size glass - you have to be kidding me.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

pugnax posted:

As others have said, The Poet is a pretty fantastic oatmeal stout. I also think the Cabin Fever brown is pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of brown ales anyway. I also really like their Full Circle kolsch. The White Hatter is also interesting in a messy hopped wit sort of way.

Agreed with this and the above - I had a ton of Night Tripper this year (it's a Mardi Gras release) when a local bar got multiple kegs. I also really enjoyed Farmhouse Hatter and iirc Rye Hatter was decent. The poet is probably the NH beer that I buy the most often, though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Well, trying to get some Heady Topper while driving home through Vermont was a bust (I stopped at one liquor store, 3 hours after they got their delivery.) On the plus side, the place we stopped for lunch had Hill Farmstead's George on tap! Glad I got to try it, it's a fantastic brown ale.

Dieu du Ciel also lived up to the hype, Peche Mortal is amazing. Picked up a sixer to take home with me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Toebone posted:

Dieu du Ciel also lived up to the hype, Peche Mortal is amazing. Picked up a sixer to take home with me.

Peche Mortel is great and the BA Peche Mortel is amazing, too, but the BA Aphrodite/Aphrodisiaque is... well, i'd do things for that beer. very fortunate to get a Canadian hookup on those two.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Peche Mortel is great and the BA Peche Mortel is amazing, too, but the BA Aphrodite/Aphrodisiaque is... well, i'd do things for that beer. very fortunate to get a Canadian hookup on those two.

I'd argue that Peche Mortel is the best non-BA'd coffee stout ever. And I had my first Aphrodite a few weeks ago and was pretty much in love immediately. BA'd versions I'd also do things for...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It's always a good day when I come across some Peche Mortel.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Okay dudes, I'm doing a sour beer tasting thing for some wine-snob friends this weekend. The main goal is education, since most of them haven't had sour beers and they're kind of a gateway for wine lovers to start drinking beer. The secondary goal is to open a bunch of great beers and drink them.

Here's (most of) the bottle list:

3F Oude Geuze (2012 and hopefully one significantly older)
Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille
LA Duck Duck Gooze
Cantillon Kriek
Almanac Dogpatch Sour with Cherries
Cascade Apricot
Cascade Pumpkin Smash
Cascade The Vine
RR Consecration
Bruery Beauregarde
Bruery SITR with Kumquats
Bruery Hottenroth
Bruery Tart of Darkness
Trois Dames Grande Dame
Rodenbach 2011 Vintage Oak
Guineu No Sucks
GI Lolita
Bayrischer Bahnhof Gose (the German one in the traditional funny bottle)
Birra del Borgo duchessic (spelt saison blended with 20% year-old Cantillon)
Vormann Munchausen (Altbier with lactic acid)

The problem I'm running into is tasting order. I've had almost all of these beers before, but even knowing what they're like it's hard to tell what order would work best. With normal beer tastings I go from light to heavy, with sours and desserty things at the end. The only way I could approach this tasting that way would be start with the Gose, proceed to sweeter things, then finish with the sourest. I'm not sure that's the best way though.

Given this is an educational tasting, I was thinking of starting with the lambics. They're the original sour beer, and like music it might be good to know the theme before exploring the variations. That would make the order something like 3F/Beersel > DDG > Cantillon Kriek > Cascades/Consecration/Lolita > Rodenback/Grande Dame > Weird poo poo (Pumpkin Smash, No Sucks, Gose, duchessic, SITR, Hottenroth, Munchausen, Tart of Darkness) in some order I haven't quite figured out yet.

Anyone got a better idea?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

bartolimu posted:

That would make the order something like 3F/Beersel > DDG > Cantillon Kriek > Cascades/Consecration/Lolita > Rodenback/Grande Dame > Weird poo poo (Pumpkin Smash, No Sucks, Gose, duchessic, SITR, Hottenroth, Munchausen, Tart of Darkness) in some order I haven't quite figured out yet.

Hottenroth and other lower abv or not so acidic sours should be moved up for sure. Depending on the year of the Lolita, you could probably pull off doing that early too since the most recent one I had wasn't so overwhelming on sour/tartness.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Pour all of them into a big punch bowl.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

Anyone got a better idea?

I think a combo of your ideas is probably best: start with the real lambics, then move towards increasing sourness (as best as possible). I'd worry about killing palates if your hitting the tartest ones too early.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

air- posted:

Hottenroth and other lower abv or not so acidic sours should be moved up for sure. Depending on the year of the Lolita, you could probably pull off doing that early too since the most recent one I had wasn't so overwhelming on sour/tartness.
I think it's last year's Lolita, so yeah, probably before the Cantillon (vintage unknown) even. The last Hottenroth I opened was sour as gently caress so I'm not sure about having that too early.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Pour all of them into a big punch bowl.
That's the afterparty for me and the other organizer. We should probably film it for dontdrinkbeers or something.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
It's just the most epic goozie coovie.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Anyone here good at pairing beer with food? We are doing sushi for our anniversary this Friday and I'm trying to decide between a helles lager and kölsch.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

American Adjunct Lager. Rice goes well with rice.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

bartolimu posted:

I disagree... It's why you are strongly discouraged from drinking sake with sushi in Japan. Beer or shochu are more appropriate.

Edit the stereotypical Japanese beer is only an adjunct lager because craft beet hasn't fully taken hold there yet. If you go to a place that carries local craft beer in Japan, a proper lager and a kölsch are two of the most common styles you will find, followed by weizen, amber and then stout.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 16, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

bartolimu posted:

This, pretty much. The stereotypical Japanese beer is a rice-added lager, so I wouldn't recommend messing with a classic. If you want something a bit more full-bodied, Helles and Kolsch aren't bad choices (the fruity notes from Kolsch could be interesting) but with sushi, my opinion is that lighter is better.

edit:

hallo spacedog posted:

I disagree... It's why you are strongly discouraged from drinking sake with sushi in Japan. Beer or shochu are more appropriate.

The rice in beer isn't really dominant at all, but it can be a nice little bridge to "unify" things. Totally agree about sake though.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

When I think sushi I think delicate flavors so I'd be afraid of picking a beer that would overpower the food. I'd probably go with a kolsch or even a nice clean pils. I could also see a good hefe working pretty well. Maybe even the right saison, but I'd try to stay away from anything that's too bold.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kölsch would probably be my choice, or maybe something like a Gose if you have one that isn't very/at all tart?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

I've never ever heard of this being a thing? Hell, one sushi chef in my neighborhood always has a blast when I bring out a bottle of Hakkaisan, but he's been happy to pair sushi with either beer or sake. I'm also in the camp that prefers either of those over wine pairings.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

BoredByThis posted:

It's just the most epic goozie coovie.

Unfortunately I don't think I can compete with the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1TODL6ziU

Also, anyone who thinks I would seriously recommend an American adjunct lager under any circumstances may need to reexamine how they read things on the internet.

Sirotan posted:

Kölsch would probably be my choice, or maybe something like a Gose if you have one that isn't very/at all tart?
Salt balance is a delicate thing with sushi. That might work at a basic sushi joint, but going somewhere high-end I wouldn't want to try pairing with a gose.

I'd probably go with a kolsch, but I don't think there's a wrong answer here as long as the flavor profile isn't terribly malty and the hoppiness is kept to reasonable levels.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

air- posted:

I've never ever heard of this being a thing? Hell, one sushi chef in my neighborhood always has a blast when I bring out a bottle of Hakkaisan, but he's been happy to pair sushi with either beer or sake. I'm also in the camp that prefers either of those over wine pairings.

This is more Japanese people in Japan logic than anything most people have to worry about. It could even be regional for all I know but when there I always see beer as the pair for sushi, sake for things like kaiseki or kappo. Of course people can do whatever they personally prefer, but (mediocre) beer is across the board the most popular alcohol drunk on a regular basis by the Japanese.
Edit: http://www.wikihow.com/Serve-and-Drink-Sake = "Sake is traditionally consumed while snacking (e.g. on sashimi) but not during a full meal. Traditionally, you should not consume sake while eating rice or a dish with rice (such as sushi) as that is seen as being redundant. If you're planning on having sushi, finish your sake before you begin your sushi." Sure, it's wikihow but I have heard that many times over there as "common knowledge" stuff. Like I said though, a lot of people just do whatever they want.

bartolimu posted:

Also, anyone who thinks I would seriously recommend an American adjunct lager under any circumstances may need to reexamine how they read things on the internet.

I'd probably go with a kolsch, but I don't think there's a wrong answer here as long as the flavor profile isn't terribly malty and the hoppiness is kept to reasonable levels.

Sorry, I am completely terrible at reading sarcasm online and have been told just that in earnest by several people in the past.
I am also leaning towards the kolsch because husband really loves them. Thank you.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

bartolimu posted:

Unfortunately I don't think I can compete with the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1TODL6ziU

and I thought he'd done it all.