Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There was an arc where an alternate Xavier was going around the multiverse gathering Cyclopses(Cyclopsi?)to power a thing to keep his world running.

Ghostlight posted:

They're solar charged energy beams :argh:

Concussive force, aka punches from the punch dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

CapnAndy posted:

I've always wondered why Reed Richards isn't doing that. Just set up a room and have Cyclops come in and spend some goggles-off time, and when Scott has something else to do Storm can come in and zap the apparatus with lightning, or the Thing can pound on the walls for a while to work off stress, and so on, and so forth.

I'm pretty sure Reef Richards uses way more energy than whatever amount they could generate. Dude regularly builds portals and doomsday devices after all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

WickedHate posted:

There was an arc where an alternate Xavier was going around the multiverse gathering Cyclopses(Cyclopsi?)to power a thing to keep his world running.

Concussive force, aka punches from the punch dimension.
Given Newtonian laws regarding action/reaction, Scott must have the strongest neck muscles in the entire Marvel Universe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

I've always wondered why Reed Richards isn't doing that. Just set up a room and have Cyclops come in and spend some goggles-off time, and when Scott has something else to do Storm can come in and zap the apparatus with lightning, or the Thing can pound on the walls for a while to work off stress, and so on, and so forth.

Reed has like a dozen viable ways to end just about every single social problem Earth has. Heck, most of the super-geniuses know of / hold technology that could leap us centuries. I mean, 616 currently deals with ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS capable of inter-stellar travel and all sorts of poo poo. Reason they never adapt is because in reality Earth would look nothing like our Earth and you can't have that because you'd no longer to able to relate to the places shown if everything is super sci-fi.

Hell, the last time Reed tried to solve everything he (directly and indirectly) triggered a negatize zone invasion, a mad celestial from another universe invasion, and a kree/inhuman war. AT THE SAME TIME.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 16, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CapnAndy posted:

I always figured Electro made a lot of walking-around money by standing in a room somewhere for a couple of days with a stack of DVDs, pouring wattage into some supervillain's off-the-grid power supply.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WickedHate posted:

There's also an Excalibur where Nazi Xavier has Cyclops' eyelids removed and uses him as an energy source.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 16, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wanderer posted:

I always figured Electro made a lot of walking-around money by standing in a room somewhere for a couple of days with a stack of DVDs, pouring wattage into some supervillain's off-the-grid power supply.

Electro would be rich as gently caress if he just chills in airport terminals quick-charging people's phones and laptop.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Soylentbits posted:

I'm pretty sure Reef Richards uses way more energy than whatever amount they could generate. Dude regularly builds portals and doomsday devices after all.
Most of them are self-powered though

[Fantastic Four #10]

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reed has like a dozen viable ways to end just about every single social problem Earth has. Heck, most of the super-geniuses know of / hold technology that could leap us centuries. I mean, 616 currently deals with ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS capable of inter-stellar travel and all sorts of poo poo. Reason they never adapt is because in reality Earth would look nothing like our Earth and you can't have that because you'd no longer to able to relate to the places shown if everything is super sci-fi.

Hell, the last time Reed tried to solve everything he (directly and indirectly) triggered a negatize zone invasion, a mad celestial from another universe invasion, and a kree/inhuman war. AT THE SAME TIME.

I figure with Reed it's because most of his inventions, even the most seemingly innocuous, are extremely dangerous if tampered with. Like the unstable molecule costumes he makes, there was a story during Waid's run where a clothing company tried to reverse-engineer Johnny's unstable molecule wallet and almost destroyed New York when it started turning everything it touched into goo. And once Franklin messing around with Reed's palm pilot formed an artifical lifeform that nearly killed Sue and Ben.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really liked that explanation-- that Reed was unquestionably a genius but his ability to make something user-friendly and safe (not to mention cost-effective) was well, questionable at best. At the very least it felt more believable and consistent that something like "I can rip hole in space-time and travel to the microverse but gosh-darnit the rhinovirus is just too pesky to tackle!"

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I assume Reed isn't good at making consumer-friendly flying cars, cancer cures, or unlimited energy sources, so he really makes his fortune jumping, say, painting technology into a new renaissance.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

mind the walrus posted:

I really liked that explanation-- that Reed was unquestionably a genius but his ability to make something user-friendly and safe (not to mention cost-effective) was well, questionable at best. At the very least it felt more believable and consistent that something like "I can rip hole in space-time and travel to the microverse but gosh-darnit the rhinovirus is just too pesky to tackle!"

Waid also had a side comment by Reed in his run that made a lot of things make sense for me: he collects a few fat checks from several large companies not to market his products, because they'd revolutionize the field and put those companies out of business overnight.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Whole lotta dick love in old comics.

No source.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Waid also had a side comment by Reed in his run that made a lot of things make sense for me: he collects a few fat checks from several large companies not to market his products, because they'd revolutionize the field and put those companies out of business overnight.

That too, although you can only buy that explanation so many times.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Whole lotta dick love in old comics.

No source.

It is almost certainly edited.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Metal Loaf posted:

There was that one time (I think in the X-Factor "Fall of the Mutants" tie-in issues) where Cameron Hodge attacks him wearing this really dorky-looking Lego suit of ruby quartz armour.

I had this issue when I was small and read it so many times that the staples fell out.

X-Factor #23, I think the same issue Angel shows up as Death, working for Apocalypse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Electro would be rich as gently caress if he just chills in airport terminals quick-charging people's phones and laptop.

Spidey: Okay so you're not committing any crimes.... other than extortion! You're charging them $60 a pop to charge these things!
Electro: That's not extortion, that's standard airport pricing policy :colbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ignite Memories posted:

Which reminds me, how has cyclops not solved the world's energy problems with his INFINITE KINETIC ENERGY thing? Surely you could just have him stare at some kind of turbine all day?

Honestly, with Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, and all the other super smart superheroes running around, who says the Marvel universe has energy problems? poo poo, doesn't Tony provide most of the world's power already with Arc Reactors?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wanderer posted:

Taking money to deliberately not improve the lives of the common people is sorta villain behavior, though.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

Taking money to deliberately not improve the lives of the common people is sorta villain behavior, though.

You could argue that by putting those companies out of business Reed would cause a devastating economic depression. If they employ a sufficient number of people and consume a sufficient amount of goods and services, the chain reaction would send the entire world into a financial cataclysm.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A good proportion of mutants could solve the planet's energy crises solo.

Horrible Taste posted:

I figure with Reed it's because most of his inventions, even the most seemingly innocuous, are extremely dangerous if tampered with. Like the unstable molecule costumes he makes, there was a story during Waid's run where a clothing company tried to reverse-engineer Johnny's unstable molecule wallet and almost destroyed New York when it started turning everything it touched into goo. And once Franklin messing around with Reed's palm pilot formed an artifical lifeform that nearly killed Sue and Ben.

As opposed to your average nuclear reactor which is just fine.

Sefer posted:

Oh no, Green Goblin is attacking this press event I'm attending! I'll just pretend to trip, crawl away, and spend a few hours getting painted so I can fight him off!

He just stays painted all the time under his clothes. He did that anyway just for kicks so it was super-convenient when he needed to become Spider-Man. :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ManiacClown posted:

You could argue that by putting those companies out of business Reed would cause a devastating economic depression. If they employ a sufficient number of people and consume a sufficient amount of goods and services, the chain reaction would send the entire world into a financial cataclysm.

Thing is, Reed is so smart he could probably think up a way to circumvent that with like, a napkin, a pencil, and 15 minutes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They haven't solved the world's problems because they're too busy. Peter spends every night beating thugs and supervillains, Reed boldly goes where no man has gone before and stays a while, Tony's factories are blowing up almost every issue, and Banner is a compulsive pants shopper.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All their excess power goes into rebuilding every city / country that explodes each day.

In other news, he's all right!

X-Factor #70

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

Honestly, with Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, and all the other super smart superheroes running around, who says the Marvel universe has energy problems? poo poo, doesn't Tony provide most of the world's power already with Arc Reactors?

I'm pretty sure Tony is the only science hero who is regularly shown doing stuff with his company/money. There are Stark Phones, computers and he also does charity work where he provides free cybernetic prosthesis to people who have lost limbs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

All their excess power goes into rebuilding every city / country that explodes each day.

In other news, he's all right!

X-Factor #70
Gambit you creepy fucker.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

It is almost certainly edited.
There's so much dick, it's hard to tell what's real.

I don't know.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure Tony is the only science hero who is regularly shown doing stuff with his company/money. There are Stark Phones, computers and he also does charity work where he provides free cybernetic prosthesis to people who have lost limbs.
On that note, I think Fantastic Four Incorporated is just a patent holding company, so it doesn't actually do anything other than passively generate revenue through licenses. Feasibly you could argue Reed has patents in there to save the world six times over, it's just that when he designs something he stuffs it in the archives and moves obsessively on to the next thing while the patents sit there gathering dust because nobody else can figure out how to implement them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I think this was the plot of one of those Exiles-type alternate worlds. On that world, they convinced Cyclops or someone like him to voluntarily sacrifice the rest of his life to become a clean energy source. What's one life for the all the lives that will be saved and all the pollution that won't happen and all that? And then when he wears out, they ask the same thing of the next hero with a similar power and so on and so forth until they start getting greedy and run out of powered-people and then start pulling duplicate Cyclops out of other dimensions and pretty soon you've got a dystopia.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Majuju posted:

I had this issue when I was small and read it so many times that the staples fell out.

X-Factor #23, I think the same issue Angel shows up as Death, working for Apocalypse.

That strangely looks like one of those energy field belts they used in the David Lynch Dune movie. The one Duncan Idaho was using before he died.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why not just get Ant-Man to take a shrunken down ruby quartz spaceship into one of Cyclops' eyeballs to figure out how to exploit the energy of the concussive laser dimension?

loving DUH!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Because the capitalist system relies on scarcity and the elimination of that would cause every rich dude and government on the planet to lose their poo poo. Heroes would have to become dictators to affect any meaningful change and when a guy with superpowers tries to depose the government they get called a villain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bobulus posted:

I think this was the plot of one of those Exiles-type alternate worlds. On that world, they convinced Cyclops or someone like him to voluntarily sacrifice the rest of his life to become a clean energy source. What's one life for the all the lives that will be saved and all the pollution that won't happen and all that? And then when he wears out, they ask the same thing of the next hero with a similar power and so on and so forth until they start getting greedy and run out of powered-people and then start pulling duplicate Cyclops out of other dimensions and pretty soon you've got a dystopia.
This reminds me, unpleasantly, of that comic where the regenerator girl (of course it was a girl) opted to spend the rest of her life being chopped up as an organ farm in order to rationally maximize good done. Not a twice-weekly session either, full time abattoir.

That said, putting in a shift at the power plant doesn't seem like a bad use of various people's times, though they might ask "Why am I only getting 60k a year when I am generating $10m worth of power every hour?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

That said, putting in a shift at the power plant doesn't seem like a bad use of various people's times, though they might ask "Why am I only getting 60k a year when I am generating $10m worth of power every hour?"

That leads to the inevitable union "worker vs. boss" storyline that ends with at least one hero all bundled up in a torture machine to siphon their power.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostlight posted:

the patents sit there gathering dust because nobody else can figure out how to implement them.

I do like to imagine that Reed has frequently gone to the world's top scientists and given them some gizmo to repair the ozone layer and clean the air or something, and none of them can make sense of what it is or how to work it, and his exasperated explanations just leave them even more confused.

"God just... just adjust the measurements taking hypertime drift into account, and keep a running real-time tally of alternate reality counter-calculations that might upset the quantum stability!"

Every conversation ends with,"My 4 year old daughter could do it!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FMguru posted:

Given Newtonian laws regarding action/reaction, Scott must have the strongest neck muscles in the entire Marvel Universe.

Nope. He just opens a channel between the target and the source, he isn't the source himself. In keeping with Newton's 3rd Law the force is felt by the emitter in the other dimension and the target, not by him

Think of it like you have a length of pipe with a pump on one end, a water wheel on the other, and a valve in the middle. Scott's eyes are the valve. The pipe doesn't experience the impulse (in an ideal system) because the barycenter for the impulse is in the pump.

I may be loving up explaining this, but the point is the channel doesn't receive the force unless it interacts with the system (by, say, changing the vector of the force particles) because it isn't one of the interacting bodies, so Scott doesn't have perpetual whiplash.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nessus posted:

This reminds me, unpleasantly, of that comic where the regenerator girl (of course it was a girl) opted to spend the rest of her life being chopped up as an organ farm in order to rationally maximize good done. Not a twice-weekly session either, full time abattoir
You're thinking of Strong Female Protagonist, which is a great comic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Wanderer posted:

I don't remember that, but I do remember Waid having Reed rebuild the family fortune by creating device that would make zits disappear for 12 hours, like some kind of electric toothbrush hygiene/appearance deal, and then Johnny took a position with the company and it turned out Ben had a fuckload of money he didn't know about because the company had kept depositing checks in an account that Reed "forgot" to tell him about

Nessus posted:

This reminds me, unpleasantly, of that comic where the regenerator girl (of course it was a girl) opted to spend the rest of her life being chopped up as an organ farm in order to rationally maximize good done. Not a twice-weekly session either, full time abattoir.

Strong Female Protagonist, it has its own thread, and it owns.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't remember that

It was like one off-hand line about the PDA he was using. Sue or someone asks him why he doesn't market the PDA and he says "Sony paid me $300 million dollars not to release it to the public."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

Ben had a fuckload of money he didn't know about because the company had kept depositing checks in an account that Reed "forgot" to tell him about

I know it's not the same story but this is how I want Ben to look at all times

• Locked thread