Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

I have this home router and it's got a nifty feature in the firmware that lets you plug in an Android phone via USB and use it as the WAN connection for your router. Sometimes my cable internet goes to hell and I plug my phone into the router. I get great 4G coverage in my home office where the router is but it gets kinda mediocre everywhere else, so it works better than putting the phone into hotspot mode and just using that. It's come in handy quite a few times on rainy days when the wife and I want to watch netflix and the cable's gone out.

Sorry to bring this up again, but a question occurred to me upon ordering a similar (albeit cheaper) router. When you have your phone tethered to the router does it charge? More importantly, does it charge fast enough to counter the energy drain from maintaining a 4G signal?

We are out of options regarding home internet, so I will probably have to make do regardless, but if the phone randomly died while I was using the 4G, I could see that getting irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That's a good question that did not occur to me, and I honestly couldn't tell you since I never really paid attention. The phone at least says it's charging when I have it plugged into the router but as you mention it may not be giving it sufficient juice to keep up with the battery drain from being on LTE.

I've only used it to fill in gaps for a couple hours here and there when my cable was flaked out, so I've never really looked too hard at the battery situation. If I remember, I'll plug it into the router tonight, leave a streaming radio station or something up on my computer to keep the LTE radio hot, and see what happens in the morning.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Droid Maxx battery life

How long have you had it? If you got it when it released last summer and have used it heavily (discharged/recharged the battery several hundred times) its possible your battery is shot - lithium ion batteries do wear out over time. Also if the radio is having problems maintaining signal that could lead to accelerated battery wear usage, but you'd see substantial use on "cell standby" or "voice calls" in the battery meter.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Geoj posted:

How long have you had it? If you got it when it released last summer and have used it heavily (discharged/recharged the battery several hundred times) its possible your battery is shot - lithium ion batteries do wear out over time. Also if the radio is having problems maintaining signal that could lead to accelerated battery wear usage, but you'd see substantial use on "cell standby" or "voice calls" in the battery meter.

I got it within a few days of release. I do spend most of my time in shoddy service areas (upstate NY rules) and I understand what that does to battery life so I'm wondering if Verizon will jerk me around and try to make me feel like I don't have a problem when I feel like I do.

It's worth mentioning that I love the phone and with its recent updates it's only gotten better, so I hate having to cripple it by limiting location services, disabling WiFi scanning, or micromanaging my battery. My wife's S5 is equal to, if not better than, my Maxx and that's just absurd.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 14, 2014

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Ron Jeremy posted:

My wife and I have a shared plan which was just renewed when ingot a new phone this january. She just recently got a fully covered phone from her new job. What's the best way to cut costs on our original plan? Can we shut hers off? Go down to some minimum plan?

Here are a few of the ways to lower a bill with a line you don't want:

1)Eat the ETF

2) Find anyone that wants another phone line on a Verizon plan and has a phone. Do an assumption of liability and they absorb the line and contract. No more line for you and no activation fee for them.

3) Did she just get the phone? Talk to her work about AOLing it to the work account.

4) Hook a tablet up to the line. This is only $10 a month. If you don't have one or one that is compatible with Verizon, find one. All you need is someone who has a tablet that can get hooked up and just hook theirs up. They get to keep the tablet and you save 30 bucks a month. Chances are they will never use cell data as they probably only use at home on wifi. At least ask them not to.

5) Hook an old basic phone to the line. Will save money and lower data.

There is no magic bullet for an unwanted line still on contract. Some people do the math on what they pay for it a month and the ETF and just pay the ETF. Just be nice to the person you are talking to as it really fucks their performance rating if they disconnect a line.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Ron Jeremy posted:

My wife and I have a shared plan which was just renewed when ingot a new phone this january. She just recently got a fully covered phone from her new job. What's the best way to cut costs on our original plan? Can we shut hers off? Go down to some minimum plan?

Are you on the More Everything plan?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

New question. If I have an unlimited line and a tiered line on the same family plan, would I be able to swap phone numbers on those lines and keep unlimited?

My wifes phone is the unlimited line, but we had to get a cheap 4G android to use it as a hotspot. If I activated her iPhone on a new line, would I be able to swap her old number and her new number without jeopardizing the unlimited plan?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Yes. We use two numbers. MDN (Mobile Directory Number) is the number you use to call someone. MIN (Mobile Identification Number) is a number assigned by our network. Your MIN will still indicate the grandfathered plan and you will be fine. IE: Your MIN will never change unless you port a number out then back in, etc.

You can do a number change or phone change as long as the phone is provided by you (IE: didn't use an upgrade for a different line, get the phone, then try and activate first on the unlimited data line).

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 15, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Does Verizon give out loaner phones? I sold my GS5 and have yet to ship it, had another phone on order but shipping is taking longer than expected.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
No. I have heard independent agents doing it now and then. So your situation sucks, best thing to do is find someone with an old verizon phone and borrow it. Takes 5 minutes to activate and most people I know just have their old phones laying around.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

No. I have heard independent agents doing it now and then. So your situation sucks, best thing to do is find someone with an old verizon phone and borrow it. Takes 5 minutes to activate and most people I know just have their old phones laying around.

Problem is, I'm on a dealer line and I believe I need a 4G capable phone. I do have a corporate store in my town luckily but I think there are stipulations based on my account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Comedy option, buy a phone at full retail in the store and return it before 15 days is up. You eat a $35 restocking fee, but otherwise it won't cause any issues.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Comedy option, buy a phone at full retail in the store and return it before 15 days is up. You eat a $35 restocking fee, but otherwise it won't cause any issues.

Think that's what I'm going to have to do, Best Buy has a few $200 off contract phones I could use. I certainly wouldn't mind the Moto G but VZW doesn't allow it on their postpaid lines.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yes. We use two numbers. MDN (Mobile Directory Number) is the number you use to call someone. MIN (Mobile Identification Number) is a number assigned by our network. Your MIN will still indicate the grandfathered plan and you will be fine. IE: Your MIN will never change unless you port a number out then back in, etc.

You can do a number change or phone change as long as the phone is provided by you (IE: didn't use an upgrade for a different line, get the phone, then try and activate first on the unlimited data line).

That's good to hear. What's the process? Is there an option online, or does a number change require a call/visit?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/15/verizon-announces-4g-lte-connectivity-for-allset-prepaid-plans/

Getting marginally better Verizon. Marginally. Of course, plans like this live or die on equipment availability. Wouldn't be a bad deal if you could get the Moto G LTE on it.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/15/verizon-announces-4g-lte-connectivity-for-allset-prepaid-plans/

Getting marginally better Verizon. Marginally. Of course, plans like this live or die on equipment availability. Wouldn't be a bad deal if you could get the Moto G LTE on it.

I hinted at it earlier and no one cared :(

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

Deep Winter posted:

I care!! This is somewhat of a mini miracle for me because I am forced to switch to Verizon after moving to an area where atnt and tmobile are awful. For 45 a month I'll switch from cricket.

The selection of available phones is a bit limited but I can live with buying a Moto X on swappa or something. Is there anything to keep in mind when buying a second hand Verizon phone?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deep Winter posted:

The devil's in the details. It was a foregone conclusion that Verizon was eventually going to have to add LTE to their prepaid plans, but we didn't know what structure they would take. Without that info, there wasn't much to discuss.

I DO like that the additional 1gb and 3gb amounts last for 90 days because it provides you a degree of latitude for rollover between months. Compared to their share everything plans, these are a hell of a deal. A single smartphone with a 4gb dataplan on share everything is $110 /month, here it's only $65 and you are actually encouraged to conserve data since the extra $20 you spent on that 3gb bucket can be stretched for 3 months, increasing your savings in month 2 and 3. So, you may be able to say pay $65 one month, $45 the next month, maybe $55 the month after that if you only need an extra gb of data that month.

I do notice though that you are effectively capped at 7gb of data in a month since they say you can only add on two buckets per month. Also, I wonder if it pulls from your monthly bucket (500mb or 1gb if you autopay) before it draws from the additional bucket. It should, but I could see Verizon doing something like drawing from the additional bucket first as it makes you go through that data faster.

Also, what happens when you run out of data? Are there overages? Throttles? Does it just stop?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
:what: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/15/verizons-device-payment-plan-died-on-july-13-unlimited-data/

Literally five days before I go in to set up a payment plan for a GS5, they kill the option. I was fully prepared to hand VZW full retail plus $20 or so on top of my $70 monthly bill, and now I'm seriously considering just fuckin' dropping them entirely.

e: vvv yeeeeah, good point. It's about time to talk to my CU about getting one anyway, if only to build credit history faster than my loan alone does.

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 16, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

redstormpopcorn posted:

:what: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/15/verizons-device-payment-plan-died-on-july-13-unlimited-data/

Literally five days before I go in to set up a payment plan for a GS5, they kill the option. I was fully prepared to hand VZW full retail plus $20 or so on top of my $70 monthly bill, and now I'm seriously considering just fuckin' dropping them entirely.

You can just buy a full price phone on a credit card, most of which will charge less than 2 dollars a month interest.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

redstormpopcorn posted:

e: vvv yeeeeah, good point. It's about time to talk to my CU about getting one anyway, if only to build credit history faster than my loan alone does.

Do it. Drop Verizon.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

bull3964 posted:

Monthly bucket

That's the part that's throwing me off also. Why can't Verizon have it set to data per month its rather silly. I'm assuming that once you go over the data then you are billed for more data automatically

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If people want unlimited seems like that Best Buy loophole still works. Why wouldn't everyone just do that? I guess one issue is you do have to already have a sim card with 4g service on it

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm losing a bit of my love for my Nokia Icon. Problem? I just got it like 2 months ago. I'm on Edge so I'm already paying for it but I've got $200 to go :( No issue. Just wanted to whine somewhere.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 16, 2014

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Isn't the edge plan basically a device payment plan?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If people want unlimited seems like that Best Buy loophole still works. Why wouldn't everyone just do that? I guess one issue is you do have to already have a sim card with 4g service on it

Because it definitely looks to me like the kind of thing that would eventually get audited and result in the nuking of your unlimited plan. It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard for them to look for new phone orders where the SIM was never used and the IMEI is now attached to a line with unlimited data.

Deep Winter posted:

Isn't the edge plan basically a device payment plan?

The difference was that you could be on a payment plan and keep unlimited, unlike Edge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Victorian Gentleman posted:

That's the part that's throwing me off also. Why can't Verizon have it set to data per month its rather silly. I'm assuming that once you go over the data then you are billed for more data automatically

Where things get really confusing is they aren't clear (right now anyways) what gets used first.

Consider the following 3 month data usage.

1.5gb - 3gb - 1.5gb

In month 1, you buy an additional 3gb of data.

So, here are the two outcomes.

$65 - $45 - $45

OR

$65 - $45 - $50

At the end of the first month, you are left with 2.5gb you can carry to the next month. So, at the start of that month, you have 3.5gb of data. No matter what you do, you'll have .5gb of data left at the end of the month. However, if they pull first from the extra bucket you purchased, that .5gb of data will be part of your base plan that you can't carry to the next month. If you burn though your base 1gb first before you start touching the extra that you purchased, then the .5gb you have left at the end of the month will roll to the 3rd month. So, depending on how they bill it, you could have either 1.5gb or 1gb available to you at the beginning of the 3rd month. The latter will require you to purchase another 500mb for $5 to make it through the month.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm losing a bit of my love for my Nokia Icon. Problem? I just got it like 2 months ago. I'm on Edge so I'm already paying for it but I've got $200 to go :( No issue. Just wanted to whine somewhere.

We went from really pushing Edge to now just positioning it as an alternative way to upgrade. In June it went to 20 monthly payments instead of 24. Its small potatoes but you will have to pay less to edge up if you choose to do so. If I made more money I would be all about Edge. Just put a down payment so my payments are smaller and I get to that edge up 60% faster.

Also: My personal opinion is that technology and the demands put on smartphones from the internet are faster than the contracts letting you keep up. Although 2013 was a giant year in smartphone technology (there has not been a huge leap in new phones from the s4/g2 til the G3), usually if you don't buy a phone released in the last 6 months, it is going to start being sluggish and struggle with apps (and in turn the battery will start draining faster) before your 2 year contract is up.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 17, 2014

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
How much of a pain is it to sell a couple of phones on SA Mart or private sale? My wife and I just got Note 3's and I have an S4 and a Note 2 just sitting around now. My old S4 is pretty much new looking, it was in an Otterbox from day one, my wifes Note 2 was dropped and got a chip in one corner.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I have sold all my phones through SA Mart. So pretty painless

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

We went from really pushing Edge to now just positioning it as an alternative way to upgrade. In June it went to 20 monthly payments instead of 24. Its small potatoes but you will have to pay less to edge up if you choose to do so. If I made more money I would be all about Edge. Just put a down payment so my payments are smaller and I get to that edge up 60% faster.

Also: My personal opinion is that technology and the demands put on smartphones from the internet are faster than the contracts letting you keep up. Although 2013 was a giant year in smartphone technology (there has not been a huge leap in new phones from the s4/g2 til the G3), usually if you don't buy a phone released in the last 6 months, it is going to start being sluggish and struggle with apps (and in turn the battery will start draining faster) before your 2 year contract is up.

We are pushing edge so hard I'm sure In a year or two there won't be any more 2 year agreements. It's apart of our quota. Edge is great for certain people, people that already had 10 gigs of data, like me and my wife. It's not great for the grandparents on a low minute plan who just want a new flip phone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

BJA posted:

How much of a pain is it to sell a couple of phones on SA Mart or private sale? My wife and I just got Note 3's and I have an S4 and a Note 2 just sitting around now. My old S4 is pretty much new looking, it was in an Otterbox from day one, my wifes Note 2 was dropped and got a chip in one corner.

You should also look into using Swappa.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BJA posted:

Sell it on SAmart or Swappa, I've been doing both for years, Swappa goes through some safer procedures but both are relatively easy.

Just make sure you wipe them, I got a device that had a lot of nice pictures including a man half naked throwing up in NYC super drunk.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Lblitzer posted:

Just make sure you wipe them, I got a device that had a lot of nice pictures including a man half naked throwing up in NYC super drunk.

This, I bought an original Droid through SAmart a few years ago, it came not only with pictures of the previous owner's grow operation and MDMA stash, but also a full picture of his driver's license complete with name and address. If so inclined I could have easily tipped off the authorities.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 18, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

3 times now I've done exchanges at work for phones full of child pornography.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

And then you called the cops?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

FordPRefectLL posted:

Geez, WTF!

On a less creepy note, Android Central is reporting soak test emails are going out to Verizon Moto X users. Hopefully it goes well and 4.4.4 is on the way soon.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Sigma posted:

And then you called the cops?

Yep and I provide every bit of information I can.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ninmeister posted:

Geez, WTF!

On a less creepy note, Android Central is reporting soak test emails are going out to Verizon Moto X users. Hopefully it goes well and 4.4.4 is on the way soon.

2013 Droid line got it on Monday I believe. Working really well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FordPRefectLL posted:

What are these people exchanging their phones for? And how could they be in the child porn game and not know about clearing their data?

• Locked thread