Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

^^^ Don't look at that if you want to "actually solve" them.

This guide is good about working up through gradual hints: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=266140518

If you have some of the tumblers that are "stuck", that's not part of the puzzle. It's a bug: http://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/discussions/0/540744935086557844/

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted! I wish I was smart enough to figure this out totally unprompted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So there's some morse code scattered throughout the game, notably in the first level when you're clearing out bunkers, but it crops up in other levels.

Has anyone tried isolating the audio file for it and deciphering it?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
The third time you're at the headquarters, Max laying on the floor in his room quietly singing his "Max Hass! Maaaaxx Haaaaasss!" song is the most :3: thing ever.

Sith Happens fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 16, 2014

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
I was one of the people put off by the shaking trailers, but the post release reviews (especially from goons) combined with the sweet dsicount in the Steam Summer Sale led me to buy this. What a well done game. Despite my summer sale backlog I kind of want to replay it for the alternative timeline (and to kill more Nazis).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sith Happens posted:

The third time you're at the headquarters, Max laying on the floor in his room quietly singing his "Max Hass! Maaaaxx Haaaaasss!" song is the most :3: thing ever.

Yep. Almost makes up for when he starts shrugging off multiple bullet wounds like Wolverine..

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yep. Almost makes up for when he starts shrugging off multiple bullet wounds like Wolverine..

Stuff like that really makes me want to know more about his past and where hes from, because im convinced that hes a washed out super soldier.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Who says plot armor has to extend only to the protagonist? :v:

Thyrork posted:

Stuff like that really makes me want to know more about his past and where hes from, because im convinced that hes a washed out super soldier.

Max Hass, for someone who literally says only two words the entire game, is probably one of the best characters. The only trouble with that theory is super soldiers, even back in RTCW, were manufactured from reanimated corpses and biological engineering of living people. Perhaps Max was experimented on, but the odds of him escaping from that seems rather grim.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I personally was banking on he was Anya's cousin's semi-aborted nazi baby or something but I kinda got confused about the whole journal thing and it doesn't drop any overt hints like I was expecting.

Seconding Max as my favorite character though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I personally was banking on he was Anya's cousin's semi-aborted nazi baby or something but I kinda got confused about the whole journal thing and it doesn't drop any overt hints like I was expecting.

There is no cousin, it's Anya's journal.

I just assumed that Max was a resistance fighter who took some kind of massive head wound, and now they take care of him because he was their friend; and because the Nazis would just kill him (either because he's a resistance fighter or because he's disabled).

DStecks fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 16, 2014

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

You're told explicitly that Klaus found Max on the street, and took him in because his own child was killed because of a deformity (club foot?). He could still be the result of an experiment or a washed out Ubersoldat or something, but he wasn't in the resistance before Klaus found him.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The journal has Anya's name on it. It's not that hard.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It makes me all tingly and fuzzy we're using spoiler tags for a 2014 shooter. :allears:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Asehujiko posted:

Apparently it is.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Humerus posted:

You're told explicitly that Klaus found Max on the street, and took him in because his own child was killed because of a deformity (club foot?). He could still be the result of an experiment or a washed out Ubersoldat or something, but he wasn't in the resistance before Klaus found him.

When does that happen? I don't remember that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DStecks posted:

When does that happen? I don't remember that.

its on max's bio page in the extras menu, i believe.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Klaus also says how he found Max.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

pengun101 posted:

its on max's bio page in the extras menu, i believe.

This brings up a good point:

If you haven't gone through and read all the bios and the descriptions of locations yet, go ahead and stop killing Nazis for a couple minutes to do so. Some great world building in there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Humerus posted:

Yes, it was more that given how brutal the regime is, I kind of expected any "rejects" for experiments to be disposed of in gruesome ways, not just left on the street. See: Deathshead's incinerators. Perhaps Max was abandoned after an accident or something else by someone wanting to save their own skin. I believe the game says Klaus' wife was killed along with his child because she fought the SS' attempt to take/cleanse their child.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

I keep getting everyone's name mixed up because there's about three names that all sound similar to hers.

Also I wasn't sure why she bothered introducing it that way if she was going to say otherwise at the end.

Essentially I got confused by the ~mysteriousness~ surrounding the whole thing and never really cared enough to check exactly what was supposed to be happening.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Hey, you like all the stabbing and shooting?

Markus finally put up a little showreel showing of all the animations he did in the game. Great dude who knows how to make weapons feel satisfying to use. Always fun when we discuss how a gun I built should move and react.

http://vimeo.com/99655723
Dude has a good imagination when it comes to stabbing... :D

He also worked on Bulletstorm:
http://vimeo.com/22708370

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One of the neat little bits of world-building is that the husband and wife you bring medicine for in the concentration camp, well, sure they're married, but he, a member of the SS, married her to give her cover because she's a lesbian, he also gave her a baby. I think it's implied that her "wife" and son both survive.

One cute moment in the Wyatt timeline is that Wyatt drills an airhole for you in the torpedo before the U-boat mission. Fergus on the other hand doesn't do it.

Also, the power drill looks suspiciously modern.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 17, 2014

Mushball
May 23, 2012

PAnick posted:

Hey, you like all the stabbing and shooting?

Markus finally put up a little showreel showing of all the animations he did in the game. Great dude who knows how to make weapons feel satisfying to use. Always fun when we discuss how a gun I built should move and react.

http://vimeo.com/99655723
Dude has a good imagination when it comes to stabbing... :D

He also worked on Bulletstorm:
http://vimeo.com/22708370

If your still doing requests for those hires pics of weapons PAnick, can I see how you guys made that autoshotgun? That thing was a joy to fire and shrapnel shot was the cherry on top of the nazi mulching sundae. A small touch that I would have liked to see is when you swapped ammo types the little logo on top of the ammo drum would change as well to reflect that.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
The animations in both Wolfenstein The New Order are kick rear end, as are the Bullestorm animations. Tell Markus that he's a cool dude.

api call girl posted:

One of the neat little bits of world-building is that the husband and wife you bring medicine for in the concentration camp, well, sure they're married, but he, a member of the SS, married her to give her cover because she's a lesbian, he also gave her a baby. I think it's implied that her "wife" and son both survive.

Huh, I completely missed that somehow. I guess that's a conversation I didn't overhear.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

your evil twin posted:

The animations in both Wolfenstein The New Order are kick rear end, as are the Bullestorm animations. Tell Markus that he's a cool dude.

Huh, I completely missed that somehow. I guess that's a conversation I didn't overhear.

It's in the letter you get as a reward for doing their quest. It's easy to miss them because the little objective marker is right on top of Set Roth in that room.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Essentially I got confused by the ~mysteriousness~ surrounding the whole thing and never really cared enough to check exactly what was supposed to be happening.

Wow, my experience exactly... Confused, and having too much fun playing the game.

Mushball posted:

If your still doing requests for those hires pics of weapons PAnick, can I see how you guys made that autoshotgun? That thing was a joy to fire and shrapnel shot was the cherry on top of the nazi mulching sundae.

This is one of the reasons I like the Perks: it encourages you to try things outside of your playstyle. My aim is good, so I tend to heavily favor the assault rifle over the shotgun in pretty much any FPS. I might have missed out on how much fun this particular shotgun is if I hadn't decided to earn the perk.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

api call girl posted:

Also, the power drill looks suspiciously modern.

No more impossible for suspension then working spider walkers running on vacuum tube computers.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

This is half off on Amazon (possibly just for today?) in celebration of Quakecon. I would expect Steam to do a Bethesda/Quakecon weekend too, and it's surely going to get to 50% off again there too. Tell your friends!

Edit: Return to Castle Wolfenstein is showing up as $2.50 but when you actually click it it says it costs $10. If you haven't picked it up yet, that's an insane price for what you're getting. When the price corrects itself, anyway.

Two edits for the price of one: Quakecon weekend is live on Steam, but today seems like it's a Dishonored day. Wolfenstein TNO is on sale, but only 25% off right now.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 17, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Humerus posted:

Edit: Return to Castle Wolfenstein is showing up as $2.50 but when you actually click it it says it costs $10. If you haven't picked it up yet, that's an insane price for what you're getting. When the price corrects itself, anyway.

It's working now.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I thought some people here might find this interesting, what with the Doom beta happening at some point. Sounds like I was right that Carmack being gone is a positive for their game design. Seriously, new Doom sounds like it plays like the Doom comic.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/17/5913883/doom-4-quakecon-reveal

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Having read most of the thread I was pretty skeptical about picking this up, but Steam just told me it's down to $30 for the next day, which is a lot more appealing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Grrg, some of the collectibles don't show up on any map and are FAQ-bait. Not sure what to think of that.

I also kinda wish that Gold did something...at least, gave you something to read like the art collection stuff does. I don't necessarily want an upgrade system like 2009 did, I just want gold to exist as more than a collectathon item.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Should have been in a messy clutter in the resistance base. Bonus points for A) Max nicking one as a toy and B) Someone complaining about "All this loving gold we cant even use." :haw:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thyrork posted:

Should have been in a messy clutter in the resistance base. Bonus points for A) Max nicking one as a toy and B) Someone complaining about "All this loving gold we cant even use." :haw:

...that would have made it all worth it, hahahahahahaha.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I'm on the moon, I just keep singing to myself, "Killing Nazis on the Moon!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BjkUtqxPE

Does anyone know what the difference between Uber and Death Incarnate? I've almost beaten it on the hardest level, and it doesn't seem that much harder... granted, I've got full health upgrades and most of the perks...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I liked the visual gag that at least one of the golden masks was Hitler-face. Though now that I think about it the Nazi pukes also had Hitler-hair and Hitler-stache cuts.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Game is fun but it likes to chug and drop my FPS down to single digits. Guess that's what I get for having an AMD/ATi Rig. Guess it's time to switch to Intel and Nvidia. :shepspends:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

AMD card is fine, unless yours is just too drat old. But you should be ashamed for the AMD chip.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

Does anyone know what the difference between Uber and Death Incarnate? I've almost beaten it on the hardest level, and it doesn't seem that much harder... granted, I've got full health upgrades and most of the perks...

Death Incarnate makes you roughly as fragile as the Nazis, and makes them more aggressive with explosives and rush tactics. I think it's intended as NG+ thing anyway.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Starhawk64 posted:

Game is fun but it likes to chug and drop my FPS down to single digits. Guess that's what I get for having an AMD/ATi Rig. Guess it's time to switch to Intel and Nvidia. :shepspends:

I have a ~4 year old AMD hexcore cpu and a reasonably recent AMD gpu (7970) (thanks console hardware stagnation) and the game works just fine.

I'd look for some other reason your game is taking a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grease Balloon
Oct 27, 2005
Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what to do if nothing happens when you try to launch the game from Steam? Like, the little window on steam's interface pops up and says it's launching, but it won't do anything afterward. My boyfriend picked up the game recently and can't get it to run. We've tried updating graphics card drivers, running it as administrator, rebooting, and a few other things some searches suggested but it's still not even trying to launch. He has an ATI radeon mobility HD5650 card and an intel i5 430m in it. Are those within the minimum specs?

• Locked thread