Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
On the other hand, Chucklefish constantly updates and posts progress status every single night including what they got done and what's coming next, and still the most common post I see on the subject is "SO IS CHUCKLEFISH JUST NOT UPDATING ANYMORE??? DO THEY EVEN WORK ON THE GAME???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder how many of the people who are complaining incessantly about how the game's an unfinished ripoff are the same people who were begging Chucklefish to release the game as early as possible and getting really angry every time they tiptoed around announcing a beta date.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's very strange for people to play 30-40 hours of a game and then tell other people they shouldn't play it.

I mean, I can get recommending it with qualifiers, but if you played it for that long and didn't like it, why are you playing it?

Especially as starbound is really cheap.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

I wonder how many of the people who are complaining incessantly about how the game's an unfinished ripoff are the same people who were begging Chucklefish to release the game as early as possible and getting really angry every time they tiptoed around announcing a beta date.

I think we all know the answer to that.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I kinda keep feeling tempted to start blatantly and completely false rumors to see if they take the bait and start spreading them, but knowing these numbskulls it'd probably be a real bad idea. :doh:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

I Said No posted:

I kinda keep feeling tempted to start blatantly and completely false rumors to see if they take the bait and start spreading them, but knowing these numbskulls it'd probably be a real bad idea. :doh:

Pretty sure we have enough of those already.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pakled posted:

I wish I could say I called this, but there's no joy in it.
"We demand a release date! Just tell us any date, we won't be mad if you miss it!" they said. Chucklefish took a wild guess, and the "fans" were furious when it was missed.
"Hurry up and release it! We'll love it no matter what condition it's in, and we'll be understanding of its status as alpha!" they insisted, though time proved that wrong too.
"Stop putting out such small updates all the time, you're breaking our progress/mods!" was a good one bandied about by some of the same people now complaining about lack of updates.

They got themselves into this, the least they could do is be understanding about it!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God, I wonder how the hell I even got 57 hours on the game. I barely recall even having played it :confused:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dandywalken posted:

God, I wonder how the hell I even got 57 hours on the game. I barely recall even having played it :confused:

It's possible you left the launcher open after exiting the game at some point.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've like 400+ hours.. :ohdear:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Shoehead posted:

I've like 400+ hours.. :ohdear:

And how many hours spriting/modding for the game?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rotten Cookies posted:

And how many hours spriting/modding for the game?

Nothing keeps track of that so who can say? But defo entire days at a time

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I think we all know the answer to that.

Except we don't. We literally do not know that. That is not information we have.

People who hated those people are making that up to make hating these other people more fun. It's just as silly as making up reasons to be angry at an unfinished game that you chose to buy while it was in beta.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Starbound is a wonderful Beta of a game that I just happen to have OPINIONS regarding combat, recovering from damage, and all crafted weapons should be totally viable for Boss Progress instead of just getting told to google where to find a space bazooka or set up 18 gun turrets where the boss spawns.

Spears, stubbornness, and whatever healing items I scrounged up did the job for Brain bot, Dragon, and Jelly. But that was not because of spear damage, rather the fact it was the only melee weapon with enough reach that I could reasonably hit the bosses before being knocked aside by their massive hitbox.

Axes and daggers were the only melee weapons I felt were entirely pointless. Daggers because they are worse in both DPS AND Damage per swing than Shortswords, for smaller range. Axes had such a tiny arc that their numerical stats being the same as a Spear (Weaker Damage/DPS than a Hammer. More than a Broadsword, but much slower) that it was basically suicide trying to use them. Since so many things flat out ignored knockback anyways when plowing on through with their death touch. Even after you land the killing blow. The changes to mechanics mentioned could make Axes more worthwhile, since no more death touch. But Daggers, meh.

EDIT: Oh, right. My only real concern for combat changes I've heard in passing. Shield health bar. Shields were useless to me outside of one life saving niche. When NPC guns go from "Hahahaha, what is this? I'm just going to walk through these bullets and kill you with a folding chair, okay?" most of the game, to suddenly ramping up to 1 damager per bullet.... at a rate of a few hundered per second, and never slowing down. Which meant shields were the only thing keeping my Impervium Armor rear end from dying in 1.2 seconds, and I'd hate to imagine how long shields would last with a limited health bar in that situation.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 17, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Those are pretty good concerns, but I do want to rebut the assertion that daggers are useless. The crafted ones are generally not worth using, but daggers with elemental effects can be incredibly nasty, especially when paired - the damage over time effects seem to stack kind of inconsistently, but I've had good results in the past, and two electrical daggers with good attack speeds will lay down a kickass nightmarish hail of projectiles for zero energy cost. If there was some way to upgrade non-elemental weapons with elemental effects, daggers could be a lot more worthwhile. You could do stuff like swap to a poisoned/flaming dagger in the offhand to quickly whack an enemy with a damaging debuff when you see an opening, then swap back to your shield and duke it out while the damage piles up.

Alternatively, it might be interesting if the appeal of daggers was that you could use them as ranged weapons. I'm not sure how it would be implemented in the current control scheme, but I'd love to be able to run around whipping daggers with both hands. Just have it consume energy to reconstruct the daggers from their master template something something pulp pseudoscience, bam, craftable ranged weapons.

edit: Regarding shield health, I think it would make a lot of sense if they had health bars that rapidly regenerate when you're not holding them up, but also had a certain "hardness" threshold that let them shrug off lesser hits. It makes sense that a couple massive hits in a row would be able to smash through your guard, and it also makes sense that your Unobtanium Giga-Charged Riot Shield should stand firm while those thousands of small-calibre rounds bounce uselessly off of it.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 17, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Attach daggers to space elastic chains wrapped around your wrists, problem solved.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

WarpedNaba posted:

Attach daggers to space elastic chains wrapped around your wrists, problem solved.

You joke but I would be 100% All About putting whips and flails in this game.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's very strange for people to play 30-40 hours of a game and then tell other people they shouldn't play it.

I mean, I can get recommending it with qualifiers, but if you played it for that long and didn't like it, why are you playing it?

Especially as starbound is really cheap.
I've put probably at least 1000 hours into Dwarf Fortress (:spergin:) and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except a very small group of people. Just because someone doesn't recommend Starbound to someone, especially in the current state it's in, doesn't mean they think it's a bad game or they didn't like it.

As someone who's followed the game's development for a long-rear end time, I am confident that the Starbound devs will deliver a final product that is head and shoulders above most games being released as of late. That said, I would have serious reservations recommending most people to buy it in its current state. Not everyone is down with mods or beta testing or will understand that this $15 game they just bought will Eventually™ be really good, especially with the crash and burn fad that Kickstarter et al. have become. As often gets repeated in this thread, modding the game is the real Starbound right now and most people just aren't into that.

The game in its current incarnation is worth much more than the ticket price to me and I imagine most people playing it regularly, but to most Steam users it probably wouldn't be. It's just the nature of early access at this point :shrug:

what a great guy
Sep 7, 2011

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Oh, right. My only real concern for combat changes I've heard in passing. Shield health bar. Shields were useless to me outside of one life saving niche. When NPC guns go from "Hahahaha, what is this? I'm just going to walk through these bullets and kill you with a folding chair, okay?" most of the game, to suddenly ramping up to 1 damager per bullet.... at a rate of a few hundered per second, and never slowing down. Which meant shields were the only thing keeping my Impervium Armor rear end from dying in 1.2 seconds, and I'd hate to imagine how long shields would last with a limited health bar in that situation.

So instead of changing a bad mechanic (high level gun mechanics), you'd prefer to keep another bad mechanic to balance it out (infinite blocking)? Shouldn't you be happy that the shield mechanic has changed, since this means the devs have to deal with the gun stuff in a satisfying way now?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Chalks posted:

A big procedurally generated universe coupled with some (possibly ill-advised) MMO concept where everyone plays in the same universe (but the universe is so large you'll rarely run into anyone). I can't say I've been terribly impressed by anything I've seen from it so far so if there's something I'm missing I'd love to know.

Please forgive me from pulling this from last page, but I wanted to be able to answer you, just in case. I think the main appeal that I see isn't necessarily the procedurally generated bla-bla-bla, but the scale of the universe and how quick you are to...scale it. The ability to build your own space ship after exploring your starter planet (already probably medium-large by FPS standards), then fly into the atmosphere and out into space, to see moons, stars, asteroids and whatever else floats above us, find another planet perhaps even bigger than your home, and zoom down to the surface to explore the entire thing. And to do all of that seamlessly. You look at games like WoW, or maybe Skyrim, and they are massive. Titanic maps that take minutes to drive through/fly through and far longer on foot.

To me, what I assume the developer's ambition amounts to is that you will play in a universe full of mini-Skyrims, and you can move between them without a single loading screen. No instancing. Can you imagine having an entire galaxy at your finger tips to explore from beginning to end?

It's a huge promise and I don't know how they'll fulfill it without some technical buggery. We'll see though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Catts posted:

I've put probably at least 1000 hours into Dwarf Fortress (:spergin:) and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except a very small group of people. Just because someone doesn't recommend Starbound to someone, especially in the current state it's in, doesn't mean they think it's a bad game or they didn't like it.

Well, yes, but that's recommending with qualifiers. I too have several games I would not generally recommend because I don't know many people I think would like them, but I would recommend them if people like the specific things I do about them. The games do what they do well, they're just something of a niche market.

Which is a bit different from 'bloo bloo bloo chucklefish betrayed me bloo bloo don't buy this game I played for 40 hours it's poo poo' which is what most of them are doing.

Tiyuri
Jan 22, 2013

HORSETITS ARE HARAAM
Hey guys, tonight or tomorrow a nightly update is going to hit that will *drastically* improve game performance. I'd love for you guys to try it out and give me some comparison numbers when it does.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds good, I've been looking for an excuse to really get back into playing.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Am I doing something wrong or are the nightly builds always supposed to crash the second you press "Launch Starbound"? Its happened everytime ive casually tried to load up the nightlys since they launched and verifying the cache doesn't help.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Clever Spambot posted:

Am I doing something wrong or are the nightly builds always supposed to crash the second you press "Launch Starbound"? Its happened everytime ive casually tried to load up the nightlys since they launched and verifying the cache doesn't help.

Try clearing your save folder

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

Try clearing your save folder

Do this, and also delete your .config files so the game makes fresh ones.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

Elemental stuff

This is a good point. Though given similar effect on a dropped shortsword it was hard for me to tell if the slightly faster pace of daggers was helping there. An elemental anything of the same tier is going to usually be better than a plain old weapon of that tier, obviously. Though daggers are the best bet for sheer buzzsaw if you luck into the right effects and you don't outpace them in the next five minutes.

Part of my obsession with Crafted weapons being at least competent, is that I usually have horrendous luck when it comes to such goodies. Every miniboss I killed always dropped the biggest piece of poo poo, even when "legendary" compared to stuff I could craft or had found in a treasure chest in the PREVIOUS SECTOR... But I can't stay mad at the sword that shoots bubbles yaaaay :neckbeard:

what a great guy posted:

So instead of changing a bad mechanic (high level gun mechanics), you'd prefer to keep another bad mechanic to balance it out (infinite blocking)? Shouldn't you be happy that the shield mechanic has changed, since this means the devs have to deal with the gun stuff in a satisfying way now?

I'd prefer if everything worked lovely and in a balanced manner, really. But I'll take "Not dying nearly instantly, every time X comes up" over "But isn't this mechanic COOLER, and more functional now all those times you don't actually need it to survive?" if given a choice for any mechanic.

I'm sure the devs will think of something. NPC guns did not quite make that switch from joke to murder incarnate until Sector X, and sometimes before that so most of the game you're fine as well. Pointing out how a newer mechanic might not 100% work well as things are now doesn't mean "gently caress THIS IDEA FOREVER EVERY SLIGHT CRITICISM MEANS THE GAME IS GARBAGE :byodood:"

EDIT: I'd assume with the Shield overhaul, we'd be able to do more than craft that single Iron Tier shield too. I just happened to find one in a chest in sector X around the time I first encountered the murder uzis, which probably helped.

EDIT: vvv It's fine, I probably didn't need to all caps imply you meant such things either. I love the game even if I am very bad and boring at building stuff (My most elaborate building was a series of rectangles, basically), I just :spergin: about casual do-it-yourself moment to moment survivability.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 18, 2014

what a great guy
Sep 7, 2011

Section Z posted:

I'd prefer if everything worked lovely and in a balanced manner, really. But I'll take "Not dying nearly instantly, every time X comes up" over "But isn't this mechanic COOLER, and more functional now all those times you don't actually need it to survive?" if given a choice for any mechanic.

I'm sure the devs will think of something. NPC guns did not quite make that switch from joke to murder incarnate until Sector X, and sometimes before that so most of the game you're fine as well. Pointing out how a newer mechanic might not 100% work well as things are now doesn't mean "gently caress THIS IDEA FOREVER EVERY SLIGHT CRITICISM MEANS THE GAME IS GARBAGE :byodood:"

EDIT: I'd assume with the Shield overhaul, we'd be able to do more than craft that single Iron Tier shield too. I just happened to find one in a chest in sector X around the time I first encountered the murder uzis, which probably helped.

Fair enough, I get your reasoning. Sorry if I came across too harshly.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG37nkbh4q4

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

If I play now, will I end up getting my all my stuff reset occasionally, or are we past that part?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Leadthumb posted:

If I play now, will I end up getting my all my stuff reset occasionally, or are we past that part?

I think the goal is to avoid that as much as possible in the future for the 'stable' builds. If you're doing nightly then expect everything forever to explode. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Still working on Peglaci gradually.

This is where ya build guns.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Leadthumb posted:

If you decide to play on Nightly, your stuff WILL get reset. There are no guarantees that Nightlies won't wipe your universe/player/ship. In fact, if you don't want wipes at all, don't touch it. It's dangerous.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

IAmTheRad posted:

If you decide to play on Nightly, your stuff WILL get reset. There are no guarantees that Nightlies won't wipe your universe/player/ship. In fact, if you don't want wipes at all, don't touch it. It's dangerous.

Back up your save folder somewhere.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
That looks pretty drat awesome

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

I'm only just jumping into the nightly builds, so I have a couple of questions:

- After a complete reinstall (installed to different drive; no lingering files) am I supposed to start in god mode?
- Are gates actually in, or are they still being implemented? I saw this blog post but it isn't clear whether gates are only graphically incomplete or mechanically as well. The ship AI asked whether I checked out that gate yet, so I was a bit confused since I hadn't seen one.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

A Lamer posted:

- After a complete reinstall (installed to different drive; no lingering files) am I supposed to start in god mode?

I've been starting in god mode the last few times I've tried. I can't find a way to turn it off either.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lallander posted:

I've been starting in god mode the last few times I've tried. I can't find a way to turn it off either.

Type \spoilthefun

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Got my gun assembler in game now. It can also be dyed with dye mod a bunch of different colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

A Lamer posted:

I'm only just jumping into the nightly builds, so I have a couple of questions:

- Are gates actually in, or are they still being implemented? I saw this blog post but it isn't clear whether gates are only graphically incomplete or mechanically as well. The ship AI asked whether I checked out that gate yet, so I was a bit confused since I hadn't seen one.

Gates aren't in yet. And yes, you will start in admin mode. It's for testing after all!

• Locked thread