Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

That's irrelevant, but you are likely correct that it won't get reprinted, as it is sort of 'theme' card.

The storyline is probably that Garruk kills like, 113 planeswalkers, but then Jace gives him a proper masculine sidehug and the power of LIVING GUILDPACT cleanses the curse. Then they'll bro fist on a card labeled marketing department fiat in playtesting.

But when do we get into the yaois between them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

I got 3 at prerelease. Believe me, it's a ridiculous card. One turn was me EOT Chord for the 6/5 regen ape for with only 3 lands untapped, then Restocking Triplicate Spirits and Chord and casting Triplicate Spirits with the 6 spirits I already had. I got 3-for-1'd with Cone of Flame on the next turn and it didn't matter at all. Especially considering I just Chorded out a Dong Wurm before my guys died.

I was on the receiving end of a double Triplicate at my event, yes it hurts.

Festergloom seems like the obvious counter.

e: course, it would help if it was instant speed

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

Its really the only answer that is not rare (aetherspouts), and/or costs 9 mana (in garruks wake)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

He's been cursed for several years already. Don't really think it's going away any time soon.

Him being cured will result in the first 3 color walker that isn't Nicol Bolas. Just watch.

Feel free to quote me when I'm wrong in 4 years.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm glad to see Necropotence is still broken and tells the player what the cards are.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Bugsy posted:

Its really the only answer that is not rare (aetherspouts), and/or costs 9 mana (in garruks wake)
There's also the red Enchantment that deals 1 to attacking creatures at uncommon, but yeah I had one of each at the prerelease and didn't draw either as I got blown out by Triplicate Spirits.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
If you count multiple cards, Ajani is RGW and Sarkhan is BRG?

If you count canon, Tezzeret is WUB.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Boco_T posted:

There's also the red Enchantment that deals 1 to attacking creatures at uncommon, but yeah I had one of each at the prerelease and didn't draw either as I got blown out by Triplicate Spirits.

Hehe

"without flying"

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

neetengie posted:

Alright, who had the suggesstions for stress testing if I Blue Screen while the MODO Beta is logging me in? Happened again, and it's pissing me off.
Okay, I was loving around with V4 a bit more and it's kinda weirder - running by itself is fine, it won't throw a tantrum until a few minutes later then it blue screens. When I log in while Firefox is running, it'll BSOD, when Steam is running it will BSOD, and after a few minutes of running fine it'll BSOD. I ran Prime95, it passed everything, I honestly don't know what's wrong. An ORC suggested downloading the newest versions of .NET Framework and DirectX which I already have, but gently caress it I'll try reinstalling it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

e: course, it would help if it was instant speed

Go ahead and ask me about the first game I lost at the prerelease. Go on! Ask how I got 5-for-1'd by a card I didn't even know existed. :negative:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Rinkles posted:

Hehe

"without flying"
Oh, ugh. Yeah well then I guess I wasn't ever winning against that double Triplicate Spirits pool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki posted:

If you count multiple cards, Ajani is RGW and Sarkhan is BRG?

If you count canon, Tezzeret is WUB.

I think Planeswalkers not showing up in three-colors is mostly a playability issue rather than a flavor one.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Magnificent posted:

It's middle click (aka push the scroll wheel in).

Aka, I'm poo poo out of luck using my laptop without a mouse :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Aka, I'm poo poo out of luck using my laptop without a mouse :(

Press Z.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

God bless your soul.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
A friend showed me this combo that's been floating around, holding it as an example of "Magic is a poo poo game with broken rules".

Am I right in thinking that this is a piece of silly jank that would be hilarious but really unlikely to go off? Certainly looks like a prime target for Bile Blight or a D-Sphere.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

If you can get that combo off without something being removed, you deserve to win. Tell your friend to run some removal.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

SteelMentor posted:

A friend showed me this combo that's been floating around, holding it as an example of "Magic is a poo poo game with broken rules".

Am I right in thinking that this is a piece of silly jank that would be hilarious but really unlikely to go off? Certainly looks like a prime target for Bile Blight or a D-Sphere.

Dies to Pyroclasm

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

SteelMentor posted:

Looks like Standard has a new archetype!

It reminds me of the old "Ashnod's Altar/Heartstone/Sliver Queen infinite mana/sliver tokens" combo in that it's stupid but funny.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 17, 2014

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
you can just use that to do inf. damage, instead of inf. tokens. and it's a 4 card combo that dies to any removal (even sorcery speed for that 2/3). It is really quite bad

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mordieth posted:

you can just use that to do inf. damage, instead of inf. tokens. and it's a 4 card combo that dies to any removal (even sorcery speed for that 2/3). It is really quite bad

Not sure that it can do infinite damage as Midnight Guard needs to ping the Nest so it can untap. Doubtless this poo poo will become some kind of bogeyman at my local scene regardless, just like Sunbond did.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SteelMentor posted:

Your friend is dumb because Lightning Volley is a better enabler than Burning Anger since it is cheaper and allows you to do the whole thing at instant speed. Plus it gives you one free response to a kill spell since Nest can ping itself to untap Midnight.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 17, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SteelMentor posted:

Not sure that it can do infinite damage as Midnight Guard needs to ping the Nest so it can untap. Doubtless this poo poo will become some kind of bogeyman at my local scene regardless, just like Sunbond did.

You get two untap triggers at a time (since two new creatures enter the battlefield), so you can use one of them to hit your opponent and the other one to continue the combo.

It's still a four-card combo across three different colours that's vulnerable to all sorts of removal, putting it pretty firmly in magical Christmas land.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SteelMentor posted:

Two creatures ETB, two untap triggers, use one and immediately tap again to ping opponent for 2, the other to untap and ping the nest for 2 and make two more hornets that ETB trigger repeat

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I would love to see someone pull that off in limited. You'd be stupid to attempt it in constructed, but they're all limited playable cards on their own.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Jabor posted:

You get two untap triggers at a time (since two new creatures enter the battlefield), so you can use one of them to hit your opponent and the other one to continue the combo.

Archenteron posted:

Two creatures ETB, two untap triggers, use one and immediately tap again to ping opponent for 2, the other to untap and ping the nest for 2 and make two more hornets that ETB trigger repeat

Ah, my mistake. Shows how ready I am to become a judge.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

It's still a four-card combo across three different colours that's vulnerable to all sorts of removal, putting it pretty firmly in magical Christmas land.
I always enjoy when Naya combos are magical Christmas land :)

As an aside combos like this are fine in magic where they're lovely in other games. In magic, you can interact. There is no flawless plan, there is always a way out. In the card pool, mind, not necessarily in your deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I would love to see someone pull that off in limited. You'd be stupid to attempt it in constructed, but they're all limited playable cards on their own.

I could see it being pretty fun in a deck that is just all mana dorks, 4 of each of the combo pieces, and 4 Chord of Calling. Flashing in the second creature at EOT with the two instants in your hand ready to untap the 6 mana needed to go off would be pretty good for a surprise. It'll never work outside of FNM though.

Edit: poo poo. Ajani's Presence would be even better. So, you'd only need 5 mana to go off once both creatures are out.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 17, 2014

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Who cares about infinite fliers when you have infinite damage? Seriously though, it's a combo between 4 bad cards. Not particularly impressive.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

NovemberMike posted:

Who cares about infinite fliers when you have infinite damage? Seriously though, it's a combo between 4 bad cards. Not particularly impressive.

The only infinite damage you can get, from my reading, is to the Nest, not to anything else. That, however, gives you infinite fliers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pyrolocutus posted:

The only infinite damage you can get, from my reading, is to the Nest, not to anything else. That, however, gives you infinite fliers.

Dealing 2 to the nest creates two hornets, which trigger Midnight Guard twice. First one can shock the opponent, then the second can shock the nest, creating two more hornets. The person who made the image is bad at infinite combos.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

SteelMentor posted:

Why is he even bothering with 4-card combos when there's a number of different 3-card infinite combos in Standard that are much better than that one but still pretty much impossible to pull off. Off the top of my head:

Sage of Hours + Vorel + Ajani, Mentor = Infinite turns
Horizon Chimera + Fathom Mage + Archangel of Thune = Draw your whole deck, gain life and pump your guys equal to that amount
Elite Archanist + Triton Tactics + Zhur-Taa Druid = Infinite Damage
Kiora's Follower + Illusionist's Bracers + Land = Infinite Mana
Chain Veil + Ral Zarek + Xenagos, Reveler/Nissa = Infinite turns or Infinite Hasted 2/2 creatures

Edit: Also someone at an LGS once mentioned Aurelia + Fellhide Spiritbinder + 2 Sylvan Caryatid = Infinite attacks with Aurelia in a single turn, which I thought was funny.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 17, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

qbert posted:

Why is he even bothering with 4-card combos when there's a number of different 3-card infinite combos in Standard that are much better than that one but still pretty much impossible to pull off. Off the top of my head:

Horizon Chimera + Fathom Mage + Archangel of Thune = Draw your whole deck, gain life and pump your guys equal to that amount
Chain Veil + Ral Zarek + Xenagos, Reveler/Nissa = Infinite turns or Infinite Hasted 2/2 creatures

I actually run this one and it's so fun. It's pretty cheap to build too.
All 3 games are a toss-up but when it goes off it's so satisfying and that's all I really want in a game.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

qbert posted:

Edit: Also someone at an LGS once mentioned Aurelia + Fellhide Spiritbinder + 2 Sylvan Caryatid = Infinite attacks with Aurelia in a single turn, which I thought was funny.

Also a Boros Reckoner dealt damage with lifelink and indestructible.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Eddie Whitson posted:

Also a Boros Reckoner dealt damage with lifelink and indestructible.

Yeah, and this lovely combo even has the advantage of Reckoner, Boros Charm and Azorius Charm all being constructed-playable cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Alternatively, Dictate of the Twin Gods instead of lifelink in order to just win, which is in two colours and all of the cards already fit in a pretty strong deck (though Reckoner may be a little bit of a stretch).

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?
Maybe this is Stockholm Syndrome (or addiction) talking, but I feel the new client is working a lot better than it used to. It's still ugly, has too many windows popping up, is super-unintuitive, and makes a lot of poor design/functionality decisions, but it isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.

But, as someone who normally just drafts and plays jank in the casual room for fun, changing the default to matches instead of single games is taking getting used to. I might have to make sideboards that aren't 15 Forests.

apistat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 17, 2014

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The original Mirrodin block was probably a ton of fun in limited. A bunch of powerful commons, artifact ubiquity means you can play a lot of cards regardless of color, and some pretty good synergies between sets.

Can you play random draft sets in MTGO whenever you want, provided there's enough interested people at the time?

I'm not an expert but I think MMD is supposed to be the sweet spot of mirrodin block drafts.
Anyhow, iirc LSV is a fan of mirrodin drafts, and has some recordings of him playing some flashback ones on youtube, just search LSV MD5. It's probably a cool way to get a small glimpse into it.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Boxman posted:

LSV ran his usual limited set review over at ChannelFireball, and Limited Resources did their ~4 hour long common/uncommon review. I think that's the best you'll find at the moment.

Thanks, gonna check out at least the set review.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Holy poo poo, I just realized I got an amazing deal at my LGS today. Nissa, worldwaker's in the 30s! I paid $19.99

• Locked thread