Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

marktheando posted:

I only read a little bit of the first script. People are just joking about this being a thing, right? ...Right?

I'm so sorry to have to break it to you like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Clara is really the Doctor's mother.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

marktheando posted:

The Rani is a genius. We know this because the Doctor and the Master keep telling us this, and because she made a land mine that turns you into a tree.

A Bran Stark tree or a metaphorical tree?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
An actual tree. That gropes people.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Rani is what the Master would be like if she cared about loving with the universe more and about loving with the Doctor less. She fucks with him incidentally the first time, and then only because she needs him for her diabolical scheme the second. Unlike the Master, who's just in it for shits and giggles.

She's awesome.

Unfortunately, the episodes she's in suck. So much wasted potential.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You know, like the Pond/River thing.

My proudest achievement.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm basing the Missy/Rani theory on a few things, the first being that before her death Kate O'Mara really wanted the Rani back and suddenly there's a character whose actress looks shockingly like Kate. Seriously, you have to really hunt for an actress with eyes like that, so why did they?

Second off the Doctor seems to be going old school lately and Moffatt's been mentioning a bunch of old Who poo poo so a baddie from the 80's fits perfectly.

Lastly, the Rani was a big haired leather clad man manipulating alpha woman so of course Moffatt's going to humble her by making her obsessively hot for the Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Or, it's a brand new, terribly written, Steven "I don't get women" Moffat character.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I haven't read the scripts or watched the workprint but the "paradise" thing - dead characters showing up in "paradise" with her - it sounds a LOT like the supercomputer in the library where river was stuck, downloading people to "save" them.

perhaps river's save file was corrupted or something

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Or, it's a brand new, terribly written, Steven "I don't get women" Moffat character.

Steven Moffat gets women

quote:

"Between the marriages, I shagged my way round television studios like a mechanical digger"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, right, between.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Steven Moffat gets women

I would have happily gone my entire life not hearing that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rita Repulsa posted:

I haven't read the scripts or watched the workprint but the "paradise" thing - dead characters showing up in "paradise" with her - it sounds a LOT like the supercomputer in the library where river was stuck, downloading people to "save" them.

perhaps river's save file was corrupted or something

And we know that they are returning to the location of a past adventure where something has gone horribly wrong in an episode called Kill the Moon.

Doctor Moon? Maybe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
And it's an opportunity for Moffat to needlessly ruin/update an older catchphrase-heavy foe.

my god, we've cracked the case

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So am I the only person who thinks Missy might be the Master? Missy/Mistress? No?

I can't decide if that'd be a master troll from the Master, or just terrible.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
To be quite honest with you I'm mostly hoping it's the Rani just so it's not loving River again. I really liked River, really enjoyed her relationship with the Doctor, but making her "The Most Important Person Ever" is beyond tired. She didn't constantly support the Doctor using only her wits and being a good hearted person like Donna, didn't spend years of her life running background support for no credit like Martha, didn't sacrifice her own life like Rose tried to, or get herself Daleked in a retroactive save mission like Clara has. Any one of those chicks did more during their runs than River ever could but she's "The Baby Who Waited" or someshit. Don't even get me loving started on how absolutely unhelpful Amy was either.
They both existed simply to intrigue the Doctor with their flirting and strategic use of catchphrases.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Stairs posted:

"The Most Important Person Ever"

...until Clara came along, apparently. :v:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Or the Girl Who Waited.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

At least Clara has shed that aspect of herself. At first, yeah, she was just a vessel for saving the Doctor but now she's a teacher that has her own life and apparently a love interest and has a personality outside of "Hello Sweetie." It's like the old Mr. Plinkett test of Character: can you name three things about a character that have nothing to do with anything but their personality? River shows up only to be "sexy" for an episode and apologize a lot and shoot things.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What bugged me most about River was that she never seemed to have had any interaction with any Doctor other than 11. I mean I get why-- don't confuse the newbies and basic linear time makes it impossible to film adventures with other Doctors--but for someone who time-traveled all the time it's the height of incredulity that it wasn't until her "death" that she finally met a version of the Doctor who had no idea who she was.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't understand for poo poo why she ended up in prison for killing the Doctor or why she loving accepted that poo poo from him.

How did people even know it was her? Why did The Silence make it her? How was she in prison for it if it was against her will?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't understand for poo poo why she ended up in prison for killing the Doctor or why she loving accepted that poo poo from him.

How did people even know it was her? Why did The Silence make it her? How was she in prison for it if it was against her will?

Because "Tick Tock Goes The Clock" as the old song nobody has ever heard of before goes.
Because that's not some random bullshit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

I loving hate this so much.

I dunno, its nice to see that the Doctor does stuff that we don't see on screen. I hate the feeling that every moment of a given Doctor's incarnation is documented on-screen. Big Finish fleshes out Doctors 4 through 8, but it can really feel like the 13 episodes of Season 1 is the entirety of 9's adventures (Don't get me started the little gap before "Oh and did I mention it also travels in time?" bit).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The issue I think is that it's leaned on too often as an excuse for the Doctor being friendly with someone the audience has never seen before.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's nice to have the Doctor have some off screen stuff mentioned. It makes the universe feel larger.

It's not nice to have the off screen stuff intrude too much on screen. It makes the universe feel smaller.

Compare Pertwee making references to other adventures and Tennant doing it - in the latter case it's almost always a bored "Oh I've seen this before, yawn" kind of situation.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PriorMarcus posted:

And we know that they are returning to the location of a past adventure where something has gone horribly wrong in an episode called Kill the Moon.

Doctor Moon? Maybe.

I'm still hoping for a Majora's Mask crossover.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's nice to have the Doctor have some off screen stuff mentioned. It makes the universe feel larger.

It's not nice to have the off screen stuff intrude too much on screen. It makes the universe feel smaller.

Compare Pertwee making references to other adventures and Tennant doing it - in the latter case it's almost always a bored "Oh I've seen this before, yawn" kind of situation.

Heck, the entire premise of "The Face of Evil" revolved around the aftermath of one of the Doctor's off-screen adventures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Missy will be the Terrible Zodin. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Heck, the entire premise of "The Face of Evil" revolved around the aftermath of one of the Doctor's off-screen adventures.

Also Timelash!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So am I the only person who thinks Missy might be the Master? Missy/Mistress? No?

I can't decide if that'd be a master troll from the Master, or just terrible.

After "Mels", yes this is probably going to be it.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Wheezle posted:

After "Mels", yes this is probably going to be it.

You're not suggesting, "Mel(anie)" is returning? Moffat would have watched 80's Who, after all.

Trammel fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 16, 2014

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If we are going for fake titles for the thread, the Let's Kill Hitler one was great because it was true AMD it was so ridiculous.

In that vein:

Doctor Who Spoilers: Let's Kill Ghagis Khan!
Doctor Who Spoilers: Let's Save JFK!
Doctor Who Spoilers: Fighting fiction with cutlery

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Doctor Who Spoilers: Let's Save JFK!

I honestly would kind of like to see Who Killed Kennedy condensed and adapted as a "Doctor-lite" type of episode.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Chairman Capone posted:

I honestly would kind of like to see Who Killed Kennedy condensed and adapted as a "Doctor-lite" type of episode.

They already did, it was called "Tikka to Ride". :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's gotta be something from the actual episodes that's so incredibly stupid the other thread just writes it off until the episode airs.

Doctor Who SPOILERS: "Welcome to Heaven. The Doctor is my boyfriend."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I repeat:

Bown posted:

Doctor Who SPOILERS: Clara meets the Doctor as a child and turns him brave

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
wrong thread

e X fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 16, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Doctor Who SPOILERS: Wearing a Hobo Face As a Mask

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It should be something about the big bad being a Tumblerette. Because that's the weirdest, yet most galling spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Republican Vampire posted:

It should be something about the big bad being a Tumblerette. Because that's the weirdest, yet most galling spoiler.

See:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Doctor Who SPOILERS: "Welcome to Heaven. The Doctor is my boyfriend."

I wish the mods would rotate all of these ideas because they're all so wonderfully, horribly true and the spoiler-free thread really would never believe them.

• Locked thread