Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

I'm saying that their impetus has nothing to do with race and everything to do with reducing fraud with very simple requirements. You need an ID to get a library book but requiring an ID to vote is somehow racist?

As I've brought this up before in the political emails thread and it applies here...

Election Fraud in America - The most comprehensive database of electoral fraud (alleged and convicted) that I've found for the United States, spanning from 2000 to 2012. I'm going to show an example with this data about how it's even more blatantly obvious how stupid voter fraud arguments are.

----

In 2008, if you include all instances of fraud by voters (including fraud that voter ID wouldn't stop, like absentee ballot fraud, vote buying, etc.), there were 128 cases of alleged fraud by voters nationwide. I'm going to be super duper generous and say that 99% of all electoral fraud goes unreported and uncaught, which is a bullshit statistic I'm pulling out of my rear end but we'll go with the benefit for those alleging massive fraud.

Using that estimate in the 2008 election 12,800 voters committed electoral fraud. I'm going to be even more generous to the argument and say that for maximum electoral fuckup all 12,800 of those fraudulent actions committed resulted in votes for just one candidate, Barack Obama. In 2008 131 million people voted, and Obama/Biden won the popular vote by almost 10 million votes.

If 99% of electoral fraud by voters in 2008 went uncaught and all forms of voter fraud resulted in votes that went in favor of Barack Obama, those votes would constitute 0.124% of the difference in votes between the two leading campaigns, or one-tenth of one percent. Let's go even further and imagine all those votes went for Obama in the closest state that he managed to win, North Carolina, worth 15 electoral college points. Obama/Biden won NC by 14,177 votes.

Voter ID is a literal waste of MY TAX DOLLARS on a problem that doesn't exist; if we're going to waste money solving problems that don't exist, I at least require that we aren't infringing on the rights of other voters in the process, so just buy and require the use of indelible ink at polling locations. If you want to vote twice you need to cut off your own fingers to manage it.

----

Basically voter fraud is a non-issue even if you assume stupid poo poo like a 1% rate of noticing it and somehow voter ID catching all forms of voter fraud including absentee ballot fraud. Any laws made to fight it that have an outcome of suppressing voting are almost certainly a worse form of voter infringement than in-person voter fraud is.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

EvanSchenck posted:

The problem going with that relatively charitable interpretation is that the laws do have a marked tendency to target minority turnout and on various occasions Republican operatives and legislators have gone off-script to openly admit that this was exactly their aim.

It's funny that Amergin is willing to believe the GOP isn't doing something they readily admit to doing.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes, how dare I point out that your whining about wanting to use identity slurs applies to all identity slurs.

Wow, you are having real trouble understanding that your original assertion, the one I addressed, wasn't even about "slurs" it was about saying that only the members of a group can call one another traitors to the group. I'll say it again because you seem both really angry and unable to read: I agree with you that loaded terms like Uncle Tom should not be used by white people. Should I say it again or is twice sufficient?

One does not need to be a Jew to state unequivocally that Group 13 were race traitors. One does not need to be an African American to note that black people advocating for Voter ID and other highly discriminatory policies are, to a much much lesser extent, also race traitors. They are actively undermining the civil rights of their own racial group, and no sort of nuanced racial understanding gained through discriminatory experiences is needed to assert this. If pointing out this specific weakness in your claim while also stating that terms like "Uncle Tom" are not ok is what you consider "whining about wanting to use identity slurs" well, all I can say is gently caress you and try actually reading my posts before laying such strange accusations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's funny that Amergin is willing to believe the GOP isn't doing something they readily admit to doing.

He's trolling the thread. How many times do people need to say this?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Tigntink posted:

Can you cite some examples? I've been a pretty steady DD reader since before my reg date and I can think of maybe a handful of times i've seen the term used (and they were pretty extreme - think black politicians agreeing with crack vs cocaine sentencing). Definitely not in the last few years.

CaptainCarrot posted:

Then I'm sure finding an example won't be that hard, since Thomas was part of a controversial SC decision recently.

Brannock posted:

Should be easy enough to find quotes then.

Spacedad posted:

They're right to make fun of the water bit, because it's a point of comedy in a very bad speech insofar as it was just a rehashing of THE SAME republican talking points except through Marco Rubio's lips in a cheap cynical attempt to grab Hispanic support - it came as a very poor rebuttal to Obama. The water dive came at a moment that punctuated just how bad it all was. If it was a good speech, we could easily overlook that moment. But this was no turning point for the GOP that would make independents think that there's something to the new-and-improved GOP. This was the same old crap, but now with the barest minimum of Uncle Tom ethnic pandering.

Also, it didn't help him come off sincere - as drymouth is one of the signs that someone is lying.

Anyway, the onion pretty much nailed it with their article on it.

Gen. Ripper posted:

The term "Uncle Tom" exists for a reason, you know.

Red_Mage posted:

I think it is a likely outcome. It would require a masterfully written opinion to write an opinion that upholds a state's right to not recognize another state's marriages and not overturn Loving v. Virginia. And say what you will about Clarence Thomas (he is a boot licking uncle tom), he won't sign onto a majority that overturns Loving.

I mean there might be a way to write an opinion that doesn't allow Alabama's standing anti-miscegenation laws to kick back into effect, but I don't know if they can find it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you guys legitimately refuse to read threads; this was found within five minutes. Give me a moment and I'll show you the posts either from this thread or the June thread(don't remember which), if you'd like.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

He's just simulating an asinine, thickheaded flack. To learn.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

nutranurse posted:

You're inferring a whole bunch here by claiming that someone who is calling a black republican out as being harmful to the advancement of their race as being supremacist.
no, "I'm a better X than X and I'm not even X" is a very old racist line. It is very much a supremacy idea tied in with the "white savior" and goes back at least to Kipling

quote:

I wasn't talking about the use of the word Uncle Tom, heck, you yourself were just talking about
in the past few pages we've had people speculating about a term of "Uncle Tom" for women, gays, and in another thread (cartoons maybe?) Latinos. I kept my wording broad because there was a bunch of it.

quote:

I don't care to police the white forumites of SA on whether or not they use the word Uncle Tom, because the white forumites of SA say way more racist things on the reg (and no one routinely gives a poo poo; I, for one, would love it if the mods policed things to make the forums more friendly towards minorities, but that's not the SA we have).
I don't disagree, but Lowtax is pretty firm that the old GBS isn't coming back so welp

quote:

I, however, will gladly use it and call a spade a spade or an Allen West an awful loving uncle tom. I just find it strange that pointing out how a person advocating/espousing political beliefs that actively harm members of their own already downtrodden race is a traitor to their own race is taken as a condescending and self congratulatory act.
When you are not part of that group and you use language specifically coined as a slur for that group is the core point. There is a difference between "the policy of refusing the Medicaid expansion will result in an ostensibly colorblind policy having a disparate impact on your friends, family, and community" and "you are an Uncle Tom for not supporting the Medicaid expansion". And it not just "tone arguments", one is attacking actions, the other attacks actions and identity.

quote:

I would love it if more white people spoke up about how conservative beliefs harm minorities, regardless of the packaging around said toxic beliefs. Much better than when white people either don't give a poo poo or hold those beliefs themselves.
i get that, but I'm still going to call out goons brainstorming "hey, let's make up a new slurs specifically to target this minority group (which we aren't part of) when they do something we don't like" as the bigoted poo poo it is.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yah, I don't think it's unreasonable for fried chicken to feel uncomfortable about seeing white posters throwing around phrases like uncle Tom casually.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'll happily refrain from calling black republicans "Uncle Tom" (regardless of how well the shoe seems to fit, it's not my place), while still referring to the Tea Party as Redneck class traitors.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

mcmagic posted:

When has the GOP ever admitted to trying to suppress minority votes?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
They use code words like Democratic voter.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Wow, you are having real trouble understanding that your original assertion, the one I addressed, wasn't even about "slurs" it was about saying that only the members of a group can call one another traitors to the group. I'll say it again because you seem both really angry and unable to read: I agree with you that loaded terms like Uncle Tom should not be used by white people. Should I say it again or is twice sufficient?
Should I point out again that you dipshits were specifically trying to come up with new racial, ethnic, and orientation slurs? gently caress off with trying to pretend this is about "we want to criticize their actions" this was openly hosed up identity targeting.

quote:

One does not need to be a Jew to state unequivocally that Group 13 were race traitors. One does not need to be an African American to note that black people advocating for Voter ID and other highly discriminatory policies are, to a much much lesser extent, also race traitors. They are actively undermining the civil rights of their own racial group, and no sort of nuanced racial understanding gained through discriminatory experiences is needed to assert this. If pointing out this specific weakness in your claim while also stating that terms like "Uncle Tom" are not ok is what you consider "whining about wanting to use identity slurs" well, all I can say is gently caress you and try actually reading my posts before laying such strange accusations.
This might have some point to it if I can't just hit the page back button and see you fuckwads trying to come up with new identity slurs

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Amergin posted:

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term." - Lindsey Graham

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Should I point out again that you dipshits were specifically trying to come up with new racial, ethnic, and orientation slurs? gently caress off with trying to pretend this is about "we want to criticize their actions" this was openly hosed up identity targeting.

This might have some point to it if I can't just hit the page back button and see you fuckwads trying to come up with new identity slurs

Please stop lumping me in with people saying that Uncle Tom is an ok term to use. This marks the third loving time I've had to say it and you still aren't getting it. Jesus Christ take a break or something.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

no, "I'm a better X than X and I'm not even X" is a very old racist line. It is very much a supremacy idea tied in with the "white savior" and goes back at least to Kipling
in the past few pages we've had people speculating about a term of "Uncle Tom" for women, gays, and in another thread (cartoons maybe?) Latinos. I kept my wording broad because there was a bunch of it.
I don't disagree, but Lowtax is pretty firm that the old GBS isn't coming back so welp
When you are not part of that group and you use language specifically coined as a slur for that group is the core point. There is a difference between "the policy of refusing the Medicaid expansion will result in an ostensibly colorblind policy having a disparate impact on your friends, family, and community" and "you are an Uncle Tom for not supporting the Medicaid expansion". And it not just "tone arguments", one is attacking actions, the other attacks actions and identity.
i get that, but I'm still going to call out goons brainstorming "hey, let's make up a new slurs specifically to target this minority group (which we aren't part of) when they do something we don't like" as the bigoted poo poo it is.

I don't disagree with you in principle, but have you actually seen just what kind of people you're defending? Ben Carson and Allen West are some straight up anti-black racists.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Talmonis posted:

I don't disagree with you in principle, but have you actually seen just what kind of people you're defending? Ben Carson and Allen West are some straight up anti-black racists.

Because they want the same end goal as liberals: prosperity and equality for minorities.

They just have a different view on how to get there. Therefore, they are straight up anti-black black racists.

OR, you're assuming everyone who disagrees with you is racist.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm not comfortable calling Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, or Allen West "uncle toms." However, sellout, moron, slimeball, or in one case possible war criminal are acceptable.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/10/25/2835101/gop-asks-party-official-resign-admits-voter-suppresses-democratic-votes/

Dude literally said it, out loud, on air. I realize that you're a professional troll, but I felt I needed to provide this example.

Also, can we call Ben Carson, Allen West, and Clarence Thomas "Uncle Ruckuses" instead?

Amergin posted:

Because they want the same end goal as liberals: prosperity and equality for minorities.

They just have a different view on how to get there. Therefore, they are straight up anti-black black racists.

But their solutions DON'T help black people. There is demonstrable proof that they do, in fact, HURT black people, and yet they continue to push them like twisted snake-oil salesmen. If your politics support things that actively hurt minorities, and you acknowledge this and continue to advocate them anyway, that makes you a racist--white sheet or no.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 17, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Amergin posted:

Did you write this with a straight face?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/10/25/2835101/gop-asks-party-official-resign-admits-voter-suppresses-democratic-votes/

Dude literally said it, out loud, on air. I realize that you're a professional troll, but I felt I needed to provide this example.

Also, can we call Ben Carson, Allen West, and Clarence Thomas "Uncle Ruckuses" instead?

But their solutions DON'T help black people. There is demonstrable proof that they do, in fact, HURT black people, and yet they continue to push them like twisted snake-oil salesmen.

If you're too lazy to go get an ID, why should you be allowed to vote? :colbert:

poo poo if you're too lazy to get an ID, you're probably too lazy to learn anything about the candidates and will likely be an ignorant "check all R/D" voter anyway.

EDIT:

mcmagic posted:

Did you write this with a straight face?

Go listen to that C-Span interview. The GOP wants to focus on equality of opportunity, not force equality in results.
Affirmative action is a good example. Giving a boost to black students thus allowing them to go to colleges where they will likely fail is not helping the black community, it's hurting it by increasing the switching of majors to easier majors or, worse, drop-out rates.

There's no reason for it. Black immigrants with a good work ethic get in these schools all the time and succeed because they were raised with that work ethic and with a good foundation. If a hoodlum is raised with a lovely work ethic, why do you want to give him a golden ticket to failure in an Ivy League school?

It's like y'all think that Method Man movie "How High" is how reality works or some poo poo.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 17, 2014

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

If someone is a black republican they are either already rich, or trying to get rich off of wingnut welfare. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Fixed this for you. Race doesn't really have anything to do with it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

Fixed this for you. Race doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Nah you're wrong. There are a ton of white non-rich republicans who are republicans for a ton of reasons even if they don't have the access to the wingnut welfare streams that black republicans do.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Amergin posted:

If you're too lazy to go get an ID own land, why should you be allowed to vote? :colbert:

Much better.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amergin posted:

If you're too lazy to go get an ID, why should you be allowed to vote? :colbert:

Because voting is a right guaranteed in the Constitution and it should be easy enough for everyone in the country to do at a moments notice no matter who they are or what they're doing with their life.

Amergin posted:

poo poo if you're too lazy to get an ID, you're probably too lazy to learn anything about the candidates and will likely be an ignorant "check all R/D" voter anyway.

I don't give a gently caress if they're voting for Daffy Duck, that's their right and they should be able to exercise it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I am a race traitor because I vote for the Democratic Party and they actively work against white interests by promoting affirmative action

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

How long until someone blames the Malaysia Airlines Ukraine crash on Obama trying to distract America away from the border crisis?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Ballz posted:

How long until someone blames the Malaysia Airlines Ukraine crash on Obama trying to distract America away from the border crisis?

CNN's found their new story for the next few months. :wow:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ballz posted:

Well, it was shot down near a border, so must be those drat illegal aliens anyway.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Fox and others are going to blame Obama for not standing up to Putin and that's why the blood of those on the airliner is on him.

I guarantee it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

Nope, sorry, you went off the rails here. I don't give a poo poo what your level of voter education is or where you live--it is a Constitutionally guaranteed principle that you get to vote for whoever the hell you want to.

And since I know what your next devil's advocate question will be ("show me where in the Constitution it says that"), how about here:

15th Amendment posted:

Section 1.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2.

The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ballz posted:

Glorious Facebook asshat on my feed posted that Putin shot it down. Got a good laugh.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

You should be allowed to vote because the Constitution specifically says you should be allowed to, and places no restrictions no matter how ignorant you are when voting.

EDIT: Apparently I was completely wrong about this!

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 17, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

I'll happily refrain from calling black republicans "Uncle Tom" (regardless of how well the shoe seems to fit, it's not my place), while still referring to the Tea Party as Redneck class traitors.

The Tea Party that is wealthier and more educated than the average American?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

Horseshit. The entire "National Black Republican" website is nothing more than "Liberals are the REAL racists!" and "Look how awful black Democrats are!" alongside a heaping helping of "The southern strategy doesn't exist!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Talmonis posted:

And you can attack them without using language that exists only to slur black people.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Please stop lumping me in with people saying that Uncle Tom is an ok term to use. This marks the third loving time I've had to say it and you still aren't getting it. Jesus Christ take a break or something.

Bullshit, this flare up was because in response to my calling them out for using "Uncle Tom" and trying to craft new ones, you decided to defend them on the grounds of "but what about the people who gave aid and comfort to the enemy in a literal war of racial extermination? Aren't they 'race traitors'? What's wrong with it when it's true?" :smuhg:

Which is the exact same justification that is used by Freep for using racial slurs. Literally - around page 225 there are a bunch of quotes from them on "but it's true" from a newspaper oped using slurs on Obama in the headline.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

You should be allowed to vote because the Constitution specifically says you should be allowed to, and places no restrictions no matter how ignorant you are when voting.

Actually, it doesn't. The constitution sets some criteria of who will be allowed a vote, but it does not expressly grant you the right to vote. Which sounds stupid but is actually a really important legal distinction that has had a lot of impacts over our history

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Alter Ego posted:

Nope, sorry, you went off the rails here. I don't give a poo poo what your level of voter education is or where you live--it is a Constitutionally guaranteed principle that you get to vote for whoever the hell you want to.

And since I know what your next devil's advocate question will be ("show me where in the Constitution it says that"), how about here:

Wait until he tells us he's simulating an originalist.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

The Tea Party that is wealthier and more educated than the average American?

None of the rural supporters of the Tea Party that I deal with regularly are rich or educated, and are by far the loudest and most racist among that group. This includes members of my extended family, so I'm fully aware of their "views".

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Fox and others are going to blame Obama for not standing up to Putin and that's why the blood of those on the airliner is on him.

I guarantee it.

Let's see how the public is reacting through Breitbart Comments

quote:

Warmonger Obomba • 24 minutes ago

Here comes another "red line" by King Obama.

woz • 5 minutes ago

I understand a YouTube video is to blame.

Booker • 9 minutes ago

Aw, shyte.

Obama's playing checkers while Putin is playing chess. Meanwhile, I just heard that Putin is thinking of reopening that base on Cuba. Unbelievable. If we had a real President he would restart the missle defense systems planned for Poland/Czech Republic.

littleripley • 15 minutes ago

Why couldn't they hit Kerry's plane going all over the place.

Marjoe75 • 28 minutes ago

Desparation for a supreme diversion!!! Gotta get the military out of the US before they find out about false pretenses wars and payrolla!!! (IRS needs to continue servicing all Federal, State and Local Govt. 'customers.') (Them pages talking about GENERALLY EXEMPT just disappeared!!!!)

MNHawk • 31 minutes ago

I hope the small issue of an airline being shot down won't crimp the Loafer in Chief's weekend party plans.

Chiral Americans don't drink TEA • 20 minutes ago

He has an alibi: we know he was golfing and has weak arms. Where was The Mooch?

Haditinzona • 18 minutes ago

Would anyone else like to stuff that reset button up Hillary's.......?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/07/17/Official--Malaysian-plane-shot-down-over-Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I like to hope that Breitbart comments aren't really representative of the US in general buuuuut :suicide:

• Locked thread