Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Arivia posted:

Yes but then you're playing GURPS, which is even worse :smuggo:

I don't actually play GURPS any more but the last successful fantasy games I posted were in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Darksaber posted:

Realms fans should probably be like the third to last person in line to throw stones. Like they can be in front of Flame Princess fans, FATAL fans, and something else I'm invariably forgetting.
But the Realms are full of naked goddesses! That's feminist, right?

Right?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I really need to play 13th Age sometime. And the Paranoia cop splat. Or the high programmer one. The High Programmer thing would actually probably be pretty good for pbp.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gorelab posted:

I really need to play 13th Age sometime. And the Paranoia cop splat. Or the high programmer one. The High Programmer thing would actually probably be pretty good for pbp.

High Programmers was a really good read but I've never seen anyone play it PbP. I bet it would be fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pfffttt. Lasers & Feelings redressed as Swords and Sorcery. If your game doesn't fit on one side of a single 8x11 with room for a bit of art, why should I bother? :smuggo:

That said playing a few JRPGs lately, especially FF XIV has given me a bunch of neat ideas for 13th Age style boss monster moves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

I don't actually play GURPS any more but the last successful fantasy games I posted were in it

California Coeds and Mexican Mistresses, starring Hulk Slagcheek?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pfffttt. Lasers & Feelings redressed as Swords and Sorcery. If your game doesn't fit on one side of a single 8x11 with room for a bit of art, why should I bother? :smuggo:

That said playing a few JRPGs lately, especially FF XIV has given me a bunch of neat ideas for 13th Age style boss monster moves.

"Well officer, the last time we saw Galaga, they were getting ready to go to their weekly role playin' game thing, and they were really excited! Said they had somethin' called "Titan Extreme" to show to their players as a boss. Ain't heard a drat thing from them since then..."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Halloween Jack posted:

No, the word filter is great. It confuses dumb people who think the forum actually uses filters and that grognards.txt controls the Super Secret SA Paywall for Get Rid of Pesky Moose and Squirrel.

So far as I know, it still filters "rape" to "surprise sex" and that's loving gross, man. And it's not just dumb people who think grogs.txt somehow runs the forums as a whole who see that.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Darksaber posted:

I don't know that one, might as well edit it in too. What did some game dev who thought he was a member of the Soviet army do?

Red Orchestra was a mod for UT2k4 and later full game where the idea was it was realistic; guns were deadly, classes had historical loadouts and were capped variably, tanks and vehicles were fully modelled (so unless you wanted your head blown off you stayed buttoned up which practically blinded you), maps and objectives were historical, etc.

Except they based the fatigue, carrying capacity and accuracy while standing and crouching off of what they as goony arsed game devs could pull off, so you could run for about 4 seconds before collapsing of exhaustion, carrying more than a longarm and some grenades cut this further, and submachine guns were uncontrollable.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arivia posted:

Eberron fans.

Them's fightin' words! :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

neongrey posted:

So far as I know, it still filters "rape" to "surprise sex" and that's loving gross, man. And it's not just dumb people who think grogs.txt somehow runs the forums as a whole who see that.
Oh. Oh, yes, that's really gross. It should just stick to filtering "gently caress" to "gently caress" and the like.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
http://ryanmacklin.com/2014/07/fateworld/

Who wants to run this?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Them's fightin' words! :colbert:

But true, so

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Darksaber posted:

"Well officer, the last time we saw Galaga, they were getting ready to go to their weekly role playin' game thing, and they were really excited! Said they had somethin' called "Titan Extreme" to show to their players as a boss. Ain't heard a drat thing from them since then..."

Mind reader! :argh:

But yeah the lethality would certainly have to be toned down. I mean, unless you want Save-Or-Die mechanics that'd make even the most hardcore DnD grogs take pause.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Unless I'm not getting a joke, this guy seems nerd-mad about something.

Edit: AAAARRRRRRIIIIVVVVIIIAAAAA! :doom:
Edit 2: oh wait you prefer Pathfinder, phew, for a second I was worried you might have had a point. :smaug:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Error 404 posted:

You're not getting a joke.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Swagger Dagger posted:

You're not getting a joke.

Ok, good to know.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

High Programmers was a really good read but I've never seen anyone play it PbP. I bet it would be fun.

It feels like it'd work really well too since it's more slow and kinda strategy. At least to me compared to the standard RPG combat thing.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

potatocubed posted:

Also a reminder: regardless of what Mearls has or hasn't done with this investigation, this remains provably true:

Mike Mearls has read the blogs of Pundit and Zak, and has decided that these are the kinds of people he wants front and centre of the new D&D:
  • A man who thinks that playing the wrong kind of elfgame makes you subhuman.
  • A man who - in his own words - thinks that all failures of communication are the fault of the listener and that if people stop talking to him he's won the argument.

These are the people Mearls wants to be exemplars and ambassadors for his game. Not Avery McDaldno. Not Jason Morningstar. Not Cam Banks or Fred Hicks or Rob Donoghue or any one of the upstanding and skilled game designers he could have picked.

He chose a frothing lunatic and an alien robot programmed only to infuriate.

gently caress the lot of them, and gently caress their lovely game.

Even as one of the people at the knife-edge of both of these people's abuse, this is the real issue. I couldn't give less of a gently caress how Mearls is handling accusations of Smith's badgering harassment, because he's a fan of Zak's blog. Dude didn't wake up one morning and realize Zak and Tarnowski are toxic, he chose them because they are virulently old-school. Mearls reads and enjoys these blogs, which means he's a fan of this sort of discourse.

Mearls is placating you because that's his job. I mean, look at the guy's Twitter - it's basically a how-to on being noncommittal and telling everyone what they want to hear. I'm out of fucks to give on that front.

I'm just sad because the vision of Tarnowski and Smith is what Mearls (and by extension, Wizards) wants D&D to be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Edit: AAAARRRRRRIIIIVVVVIIIAAAAA! :doom:
Edit 2: oh wait you prefer Pathfinder, phew, for a second I was worried you might have had a point. :smaug:

That dragonmarks are stupid and anime.

E: GODDAMN IT GAU WE ARE TALKING ABOUT DRAGONMARKS BEING STUPID AND ANIME NOW

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dragonmarks are cool, especially if they're also glowy face tattoos.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Well then:

quote:

Meet my co-designer, scotch:

This should appear in some form in every RPG rulebook, in my opinion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Quinta Rubin sounds like apocalyptica from 7th Sea.

WHEN THE QUINTA RUBIN COMES, IL VAGO WILL BETRAY US ALL!

E: ruban. gently caress you words you suck.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Arivia posted:

That dragonmarks are stupid and anime.

E: GODDAMN IT GAU WE ARE TALKING ABOUT DRAGONMARKS BEING STUPID AND ANIME NOW

I don't know, Gary Stu Elminster with his contingencies and his harem are pretty anime. Also bad.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mind reader! :argh:

But yeah the lethality would certainly have to be toned down. I mean, unless you want Save-Or-Die mechanics that'd make even the most hardcore DnD grogs take pause.

It really does lend itself well to boss fights. I'm not exactly an expert on 13A, but if you need some help brainstorming you could always throw up a thread or google doc and I'd chip in what I could.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Arivia posted:

I can't believe I'm feeling glad and progressive for jumping to loving Pathfinder already.

And I should have been a slam dunk for this edition, what with the emphasis on the FR and everything.
Yeah, I think I'm just done with D&D. It was never in any way special to me in the first place, and right now the culture around it is hurting people I respect and care about. And there are just so many other amazing RPGs out there, I lose nothing from dropping D&D. There are so many D&D-like games that literally the only thing I'm actually losing is the words "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover.

So basically if you need me I'm going to be over there doing stuff with weird weeaboo storygames.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Don't you ever loving change, Ewen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Elminster doesn't have a harem. He has relationships with many fine independent women, and only some of those women were raised by Elminster from infancy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I gagged. Reading that actually made me gag. I was about to eat lunch, you fucker.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

Yeah, I think I'm just done with D&D. It was never in any way special to me in the first place, and right now the culture around it is hurting people I respect and care about. And there are just so many other amazing RPGs out there, I lose nothing from dropping D&D. There are so many D&D-like games that literally the only thing I'm actually losing is the words "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover.

So basically if you need me I'm going to be over there doing stuff with weird weeaboo storygames.

I don't run fantasy, but if I did I'd use, i dunno, FAE or something. And I'd run it as the most Ian Livingstone Fighting Fantasy/Candlemass thing ever. DARE YOU TREK TO THE HOLE OF GHOSTS AND PUT AN END TO THE SORCERER'S FOUL PLOTS ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There is literally no fantasy setting or style that 3E, Pathfinder, or 5E does better than Dungeon World, FAE, GURPS, or literally any other fantasy-oriented product on the market.

Dungeons and dragons wants to die, so let's let it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Where is all this GURPS love coming from? Is Winson threatening you all with bans or something?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
GURPS was my first love, my true love.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Swagger Dagger posted:

A Paizo designer tied his mouse to his wrist by the cord in order to "test" if a strap tying your sword to your arm should let you recover from being disarmed as a swift or simple or whatever the gently caress the fastest action is.

It was too hard for him to swing it into his hand, so he issued errata saying it took a longer action.

Pathfinder loving sucks, maybe just don't play D&D at all. GURPS is right there.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/dungeonfantasy/

Where does one...start with GURPS? Like, do I just need the first book of Dungeon Fantasy or is there a core GURPS book or something like that?

Help me lose myself in build points, goons.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Impermanent posted:

GURPS was my first love, my true love.

For me, GURPS was that first long-term relationship out of high school where I made a bunch of mistakes but learned a lot. Sometimes when I get drunk or I'm lonely I think about GURPS and I want that feeling of being young and desired back. Then I end up reading a GURPS book and realize that while I still appreciate her company, we've both moved on and are looking for different things. She's into Tactical Shooting, I'm into storygames.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In a world where Golden Sky Stories exists all other fantasy needs to step up or shut up.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spincut posted:

Where does one...start with GURPS? Like, do I just need the first book of Dungeon Fantasy or is there a core GURPS book or something like that?

You just need the Basic Set. What Dungeon Fantasy does is take the full character creation rules that are in the Basic Set and turn them into templates for classes and races that you just grab and customize a bit so you don't actually have to do the whole building a character from first principles thing.

It cuts down on the sorta overwhelming amount of skills and advantages and disadvantages that are in the core game and lets you see that a Wizard would have A skills and B powers while a thief would have C and D and a fighter would have E and F.

When you become more familiar with GURPS you can ditch that template system entirely to make any concept you have in mind, but between templates and the character building software I haven't sat down and made a character from scratch in like 6 or 7 years.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Spincut posted:

GURPS Lite for a taste, then start with the Basic Set, Characters for players, Campaigns for GMs.

GURPS owns, just don't get caught up in thinking you need to use or allow everything. Think of it more as a basic system toolkit for making your game.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Elminster doesn't have a harem. He has relationships with many fine independent women, and only some of those women were raised by Elminster from infancy.

I love the idea that they have to gag Ed Greenwood at public events and pay him not to let half of the stuff he comes up with reach the light of day.

Why can't he be like R.A. Salvatore, who is like Robert E. Howard if he was from Jersey, not overtly racist, and didn't have a literal juvenile concept of woman?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mr. Maltose posted:

In a world where Golden Sky Stories exists all other fantasy needs to step up or shut up.

Funny way of spelling Ryuutama you got there.

Is that out yet? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Impermanent posted:

There is literally no fantasy setting or style that 3E, Pathfinder, or 5E does better than Dungeon World, FAE, GURPS, or literally any other fantasy-oriented product on the market.

Dungeons and dragons wants to die, so let's let it.

This, but with the caveat that Eberron and Keith baker owns and we shouldn't hold their past association with D&D against them.

• Locked thread