Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Sorry to interrupt Gunchat 2014 but aaaahahahahaha

Also I pull Harassers. I just wish they weren't made out of glass and candyfloss :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hajj Podge posted:

Too much gun and balance chat. Let's make fun of terrible pubbies!

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428191068402205777/stats

21 kills and 8,792 deaths at BR 41 after 3 months of gameplay.

How'd he get 21 kills? He was going full pacifist last time I saw, just shot darts and dropped ammo (but somehow never playing medic??).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The PPA is totally overpowered what are some of you people smoking.

Gonkish posted:

Meanwhile, TR has always had the best loving infantry guns. Always. Literally loving always. The CARV has been bullshit since day one, the SABR-13 has been bullshit since day one, and they KEEP GETTING MORE BULLSHIT. The TORQ is just the latest in a long line of ridiculous TR bullshit cannons.
The SABR-13 was actually pretty much dogshit day one, because it still had a non-negative FSRM. They changed that at some point in the distant past and it went unnoticed for months before people started using it and realized it was a doom laser. :eng101:

Fans posted:

LMG is anyone's game, though I don't think the Carv really matches up to the Orion.
It might not... but the MSW-R does. Also the MCG, although nobody was specifically comparing Heavy Weapons.

Arghy posted:

Quoting this so you cant edit it out hahahaha you forgot 'no bullet drop'. You do realize that all this is false right? VS had 2 .75 ADS LMG's and 1 .75 ADS AR vs NC's 1 AR and TR's 1 carbine/AR. The SV88 is literally a copy of the orion with worse handling so we effectively got 1 .75 ADS LMG and 1 AR which made us the mobility faction even though we were equal with the TR.
Somehow I'm not surprised you managed to get this one wrong, but let's go over 0.75x ADS options.

For a time, each faction had two in a category and everybody also had at least 1 assault rifle (not counting NS guns for the moment). TR had carbines (Lynx, Jaguar), NC had ARs (GR-22, Carnage), VS had LMGs (Orion, SVA-88). But TR also got the TAR and VS got the HV-45, so TR and VS both had 3 75% ADS weapons while NC had only two. Since then, we've seen TR lose one carbine (Lynx lost 75% ADS in the revamp) while NC/VS got the Bandit/Zenith, meaning each faction now has one 75% ADS carbine and one 75% ADS AR, except NC also gets one additional AR and VS gets two additional LMGs with the property. Technically, at the moment, the 75% ADS score is TR-2/NC-3/VS-4, unless you count the Jackhammer as a 75% ADS advantage for NC (I don't, because it's a shotgun and all shotguns have 75% ADS, but whatever). At best, VS is tied in mobility options with NC.

That said, LMGs are possibly the worst place to have 75% ADS (not that they're a bad place to have it, mind you) because of the overshield slowdown.

A Tartan Tory posted:

The Pulsar C is honestly a loving insanely good gun.
For those who don't know, the Pulsar C is the most accurate automatic weapon in the entire game. Period. Its vertical recoil is invariant, it has the lowest possible horizontal recoil for a carbine and the lowest horizontal tolerance of any non-burst weapon and an Advanced Grip option. It's 167 damage with a 30 round magazine so it also has way better DPM than other VS guns but reloads about as fast. It also has no bullet drop, I guess. In spite of its lower-than-average DPS it is basically the best carbine in the entire game for anyone who is even remotely competent at aiming. The only carbine even halfway close to being that accurate is the T5 AMC, and it has worse horizontal recoil due to being a 143 damage gun.

The Lynx is an amazing little thing but making it work at range does take some degree of effort. The Pulsar C is point and click. The main advantage NC has over it is they get way better DPS on their options, but none of them are quite as accurate.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i wish the vs had the t1 cycler. Its the only gun I seem to consistently kill people with.
Good news! For the low, low price of 700 SC or 1000 certs you can buy the Terminus VX-9, which is basically the Cycler with 10 fewer rounds per magazine but slightly better recoil and DPS.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Westy543 posted:

How'd he get 21 kills? He was going full pacifist last time I saw, just shot darts and dropped ammo (but somehow never playing medic??).

If someone fires a rocket into you and kills themselves you get the kill. Though they do appear to have got a few longshot kills for some reason. Maybe they're a career sniper!

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 17, 2014

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

did I screw up by buying the laser sight for my pulsar c instead of the advanced grip?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Fans posted:

If someone fires a rocket into you and kills themselves you get the kill. Though they do appear to have got a few longshot kills for some reason. Maybe they're a career sniper!

Well judging from their stats, looks like they have used the Recon Dart gun a lot as an infiltrator, but not the actual rifle very much. And also spent a lot of time as an Engineer, but never in any vehicles. I guess they play support a lot, mostly repairing and dropping ammo packs? And never a medic, but otherwise looks like a person who is big on support.

I don't get why you would play Internet Shootman Game and never shoot anyone though. They have 19 days played as an Engineer alone, but have no kills with carbines or grenades, and only five kills with pistols (which could have been as Infiltrator).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

did I screw up by buying the laser sight for my pulsar c instead of the advanced grip?

Yes, yes you did.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
I don't think the PPA is overpowered. I think the canister is loving useless and needs a serious buff. The PPA seems like what I would expect a big fuckoff energy cannon on top of a tank/buggy should be. The only thing I think is a bit off is the amount in the magazine. That thing holds a loving ton of shots.

Edit: never used the TR version, so I can't say.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No, but get the Advanced Grip too. The Pulsar C's hipfire is acceptable even with a Grip + Compensator, but because it's so accurate by default a Laser Sight doesn't exactly hurt it if you're mostly engaging people at less than 30-40m. At the very least the Laser might help you win some accidental close quarters fights by giving you a chance to get a couple hipfire headshots and knife someone.

Whether the Compensator is worth it is your call. Running it with just the Advanced Grip is probably the most balanced though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yes, yes you did.

Well, I guess that might explain why I wasnt getting all the love for the pulsar c while i was running around hipfiring the drat thing all the time.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

Then don't buy them, the defaults are great guns too. Some of the best in fact

Yeah well I roll Vanu. Lets say I want in on the sweet Terminus action everyone talks about. Oh drat, its either 1000 certs or 7bux. Okay how about this sweet Lancer I hear about, poo poo. Lasher? poo poo! Okay, Pulsar C then :downsgun:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I actually think the Solstice is a pretty okay default, but the Pulsar C is free/cheap and probably better all around. Also the Orion is a default, and well, it's the Orion.

The Pulsar however is an absolute pile of dogshit and every time I try to use it to convince myself I'm wrong I just end up hating it more and more. The exact opposite happens the longer I use the Cycler and Gauss Rifle.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

You can get the pulsar c as one of the free guns where it quizzes you about what you want to be when you grow up.

I kind of regretted not getting the ghost.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Just get the HV45 as a VS medic and pretend it's the default.

It's not a great weapon, but it's the best we have at the price. Terminus is still great though, but very expensive and still mediocre compared to TR/NC options.

Also Nakar, please enlighten everyone as to the awesome that is the Vandal. :allears:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

No. You made the best choice. Own nerds with a pretty good carbine (that isn't the lynx).

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

A Tartan Tory posted:

Just get the HV45 as a VS medic and pretend it's the default.

It's not a great weapon, but it's the best we have at the price. Terminus is still great though, but very expensive and still mediocre compared to TR/NC options.

Also Nakar, please enlighten everyone as to the awesome that is the Vandal. :allears:

Yeah I haven't been too thrilled with the HV45 overall, especially after they nerfed it, if I recall, giving it more horizontal jitter. I might not be remembering that right, so I'm probably ready to shelve it for the Terminus whenever I get the certs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You can get the pulsar c as one of the free guns where it quizzes you about what you want to be when you grow up.

I kind of regretted not getting the ghost.

Wait what? What's this quiz you're talking about?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Coredump posted:

Wait what? What's this quiz you're talking about?

I dunno, I guess its a new thing. When I played back in the beta it didnt exist. But now when you make a new dude it gives you a lil quiz to answer when you first deploy that is like 'what do you want to do' and it has a bunch of options then it recommends you a class & gives you a free gun + camo + xp booster. But you can just say pick different if you dont like the one it gives you and you can get a bunch of good guns for free like the ghost or the pulsar c.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I swear the last time the Pulsar C came up people scoffed at the idea of using advanced grips on the Pulsar because of the non-existant horizontal recoil. So the forum meta changes.

Also Westy's harassers lead a charmed life, get in one and marvel as you spend half an hour zooming around the continent blowing poo poo up and somehow never dying.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A Tartan Tory posted:

I actually don't like the Vandal all that much, but only because I'm a shot-spammer with semi-auto scouts and it has angled recoil. If you want to know why the Vandal is awesome, all you really need to say in summary is "It's a loving semi-auto scout rifle with 75% ADS, you can dance around at hundreds of meters away being completely unhittable while you take only the best shots." Also it looks and sounds cool.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jiro Kage posted:

I don't think the PPA is overpowered. I think the canister is loving useless and needs a serious buff.

Yeah, Higby pls, don't nerf VS, buff NC, and give TR nothing. This way, everyone is happy.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Westy543 posted:

It looks like he's killed almost as many NC as he has TR or VS combined. :shrug:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

wake me up when o muerte makes a good post and gets a good username at the sametime tia

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

and so he slept for 10000 years and then he died.
the end

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Azerban posted:

Yeah, Higby pls, don't nerf VS, buff NC, and give TR nothing. This way, everyone is happy.

For real, you don't fix balance by breaking one gun that works, you fix the guns that are busted and bring them up to a working level. Buff the canister.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

sounds about right

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Azerban posted:

We don't need your crutches :colbert:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

But Not Tonight posted:

For real, you don't fix balance by breaking one gun that works, you fix the guns that are busted and bring them up to a working level. Buff the canister.
Damage on canister should be 143-100 or no deal.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

vigorous sodomy posted:

We don't need your crutches :colbert:

Said the faction with bionic titanium spider legs

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

But Not Tonight posted:

You still have to nerf the PPA's magazine capacity, because I'm pretty sure nobody wants the Marauder being buffed up to the PPA's ammo load.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nakar posted:

You still have to nerf the PPA's magazine capacity, because I'm pretty sure nobody wants the Marauder being buffed up to the PPA's ammo load.

Buff the canister to the exact same stats as the PPA except make it a Falcon projectile with drop and like 20m/s higher velocity

If 50 round mag full auto grenade launchers with unwavering accuracy are going to be the definition of effective then the C85 will never work, so it needs an overhaul to something more obviously balanced

The marauder already exists with 50+ round mags, it's called the PPA and it's got more than double the velocity on top of no drop as well

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The C85 would be cooler if its model was literally just a giant jackhammer strapped to the top of your vehicle. Instead its some sort of chode tube that looks retarded.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

But Not Tonight posted:

But what's easier to do? Nerf one gun or buff two guns and hope you get the balance right? Odds are, even if they buffed the Marauder and the Canister, the Marauder would somehow end up even stronger than the pillager of hordes it once was and the Canister would have slightly tighter grouping because gently caress shotguns.

BadLlama posted:

The C85 would be cooler if its model was literally just a giant jackhammer strapped to the top of your vehicle. Instead its some sort of chode tube that looks retarded.

It needs to be a giant rotary shotgun with the magazine slapped on and duct-taped to it. Give it auto-fire and explosive pellets with some sick recoil. Whenever you reload it, you need to hear a redneck shout "yee-haw!" and when you fire it you need to hear a Rambo yell for as long as you hold down the trigger. The Vanguard shield dongle needs to be replaced with Truck-Nutz and there should be either giant exhaust pipes or smokestacks coming from the rear coupled with deafening engine noise. Reinforced front armor needs to be replaced with a giant wooden bumper (and I don't mean a bumper made out of wood, I mean one single piece of lumber). These changes, I think, would bring both the Canister and Vanguard up to where they ought to be.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 17, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Buff the canister to the exact same stats as the PPA except make it a Falcon projectile with drop and like 20m/s higher velocity

If 50 round mag full auto grenade launchers with unwavering accuracy are going to be the definition of effective then the C85 will never work, so it needs an overhaul to something more obviously balanced

The marauder already exists with 50+ round mags, it's called the PPA and it's got more than double the velocity on top of no drop as well
see:

Mortimer posted:

Come on though, are VS not allowed to have anything halfway decent?

:qq: "NC/TR guns are OP and objectively better in many ways"
:smug: "That's our faction trait/why would VS get everything good?/They're just fine"
:qq: "PPA is OP no bullet drop waaaah"
:colbert: "Nerf the PPA or give everyone else identical things."

EHF never disappoints

edit: Like...it's fine to have bias towards your primary faction. That's fine. I play VS I want VS to have the best stuff. But to pretend that you play all factions and want things to be perfectly balanced when really it's the exact opposite is :laffo:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

NC faction trait is high damage per bullet
TR faction trait is high number of bullets
VS faction trait is no bullet drop (but make it pistols and smgs only though higby pls what the gently caress OP goddamn)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Nakar posted:

The Pulsar however is an absolute pile of dogshit and every time I try to use it to convince myself I'm wrong I just end up hating it more and more. The exact opposite happens the longer I use the Cycler and Gauss Rifle.

I'm some kind of strange person, because I actually really like dumb poo poo like the Pulsar and Corvus. 143/698 is basically the same as 167/600 although the lovely DPM is obviously a concern; all I ever did was play it like Time Crisis with the shield tool and just reload every couple of bursts behind cover. Worked for me.

I Aurax'd the Pulsar AR and never really myself wishing I had a different gun the whole time, although it's unlikely I'll pick it up now over the Terminus.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 17, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The C85 needs better spread (hang on, I'm going somewhere with this), explosive shells on impact (see?), and way more ammo in the can. Make it the shortest-ranged option but make it punk soloists, eviscerate crowds, and swat C4 fairies out of the air effortlessly. A C85 Harasser doing a drive-by of a Sunderer should leave behind nothing but scorch marks and tears.

The PPA needs a smaller magazine and an expanding COF. It can remain no-drop with its current damage, but it'll be slightly worse at PPA spamming from a zillion miles away.

The Marauder needs a larger magazine and slightly better feedback on where its shots are hitting, as its projectile is tiny and hard to see.

Really... that's all you need to do to put them about on par with each other. Whether they should any of them be that strong at all I don't know, that's another matter entirely, but if they intend to make tanks less good at farming infantry with the main guns then maybe it's OK (since the AI option trades away AV damage outright), provided they don't overnerf infantry AV.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm working on making some little animated cartoons with various members of the GOKU outfit.

The first of them, a rather choppy work in progress where i'm testing out one of the character designs of outfit member Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_sSN3OOUqE

I may need various shootmannes and shootwomannes to assist in providing character voices in the future. :o:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just got my cert rebate for the two weeks of missing membership when on Pro7. I know I had around 200 certs on my main TR character when I logged off so I guessed I'd have about 800 more on each character when I logged on. That seemed reasonable since I lost about 600 if I'd logged in at just the right time every day for the missing two weeks.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Spacedad posted:

I'm working on making some little animated cartoons with various members of the GOKU outfit.

The first of them, a rather choppy work in progress where i'm testing out one of the character designs of outfit member Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_sSN3OOUqE

I may need various shootmannes and shootwomannes to assist in providing character voices in the future. :o:

If you need a Scottish or German accent for some reason I am your man sir.

• Locked thread