Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DancingShade posted:

Not really, but those borg gates in STFs are pretty close. No shields and you can shoot them safely from ~3km underneath because their hitbox is larger than 10km :v:

Also the Starbase mission in Romulan space seems specifically designed for such under semi-combat conditions. Kill the initial wave of enemies, then you've got something like 2-3 minutes to do as much damage as possible. The starbase shoots back at intervals, and is pretty strong, but is also such a giant sack of shield and HP(And also can't be killed even if it hits 0 HP) that you can use it for testing. It feels like it'd only be useful for major changes in how you're kitted out, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Aleth posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic that they are what with the nature of the fixes and releases they've been doing lately. Crafting is finally getting an overhaul, the traits system was redone, KDF uniforms being fixed, Borg/Undine missions being revised and so on all are things that have needed addressing for some time.

Yeah but they're adapting crafting to what it is in Neverwinter which is actually worse because it suckers you in and makes you spend your precious dil on gambling.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Massive tedious multi-day timesinks ooooor maybe a boatload of dilithium to hopefully trigger your latent gambling addition have a chance of making something valuable instantly! :iamafag:

I admit I never messed with it on the PTR, but I'm not really holding my breath no. I mean it's probably better than the literally useless crafting there is now, but it's really getting to the point where the duty officer system as a whole needs a revamp and this... isn't quite it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do Phased Polaron and Dominion Polaron look the same important rainboat questions

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aleth posted:

Elachi are yellowish, yeah.

They have a bit of yellow but are still distinctly green (energy drink beams). I have them on my Fleet D'deridex because they match the slime-green Tron decorations on Romulan fleet ships perfectly (and they have the best proc in the game :v:).

MikeJF posted:

Do Phased Polaron and Dominion Polaron look the same important rainboat questions

I think Phased Polaron is hot pink, while Dominion Polaron is more of a pale color.

Next year I should roll a Romulan pimp character and fly around in a purple and gold Risian cruiser with protonic polarons.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 17, 2014

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Phased Polaron is more a deep purple.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asimo posted:

It's pretty clear they've been doing a lot of this behind the scenes, it's just that it doesn't usually show up on the user end.

I think the free bank, inventory, and ship slots everyone got not long ago are pretty tangible evidence of their database improving.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6004243-xindi-lockbox-overview posted:

Consoles

The Xindi Lock Box will re-introduce the idea of the Cross-Faction Console, but with an added twist – in addition to offering a few of the last remaining consoles to players of the opposite faction, we are for the first time including Romulan Warbird consoles into the mix, and offering players a choice of which item they will receive with each time they open this pack:

Federation players can choose:
Aceton Assimilator – OR – Sabotage Probe
Klingon players can choose:
Enhanced Plasma Manifold – OR – Sabotage Probe
Romulan players can choose:
Aceton Assimilator – OR – Enhanced Plasma Manifold

Sorry klanks the feds need your toys.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

Klanks need to pull a khan and fly a fed ship with saucer sep.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lagomorphic posted:

gently caress everything about this game.

Sleepy District
Jun 20, 2008
Klingon tears are the best. Are there any decent consoles which are restricted to KDF/Fed left?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

UoI posted:

gently caress everything about this game.

Honestly I don't really care, my klanks are still perfectly playable and the cryptic forums are already drowning in KDF tears so it's a net positive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Xindi-Reptillian tac boff's space trait looks interesting. If it's strong enough it's possible my vesta/recluse/etc can drop one of their super-expensive attack pattern doffs.

Also the carrier looks really sweet and I hope it's good.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Should just do away with factions altogether as that seems to be what Cryptic secretly wishes. That whole war thing really isn't going anywhere.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ahahahahaha the Xindi-Aquatic Doff's face.

Also I was hoping for a Xindi-Insectoid Boff but I'm guessing that'll be in Xindi Lockbox #2. (Unless they decide to poo poo a Xindi-Primate on us but gently caress those boring assholes)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 17, 2014

Sleepy District
Jun 20, 2008
The war is over in the story line, that was the one of the main points of Surface Tension.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Lagomorphic posted:

Ahahahahaha get poo poo on klanks.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
gently caress you Feds, I'm going for a swim in my KDF contra vault.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Sleepy District posted:

The war is over in the story line, that was the one of the main points of Surface Tension.

New missions? What? Pffffffffffft.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

MikeJF posted:

I can't look at that and not see

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

It looks like Morn is finally tired of listening to people's poo poo.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Is Arc down, or am I just special?

Pneumatic Wizard
Oct 9, 2012

Buglord
Requesting channel invite for Pneumatic@GWGordy, and Wiki access as Pneumatic.

When I last played this game properly the only thing to do at max level was to abandon ship next to low level players at earth spacedock, a feature that is greatly missed.

Also I bring gifts of dudes who are really mad about game improvements. :shrug:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

I decided to go full rainbow boat with the Risan Luxury Cruiser on a gimmick alt I have, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Here's the current setup of it:

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Amerus@Taerkar)/ship-equipment

The torp is there mainly because I couldn't think of another beam type to mount on it. Do any of the special beams have unique visuals that would help the display?

Equipment quality is being slowly improved as well. Current target is get the rest of the vuln locators.

I ran rainbowbeams on my Excelsior and put way too much thought into it.

Red: Borg Cutting Beam - The 360' AP would be better.
Orange: Vanilla Phasers
Yellow: Spiral wave Disruptors. Everything else is kinda greenish. Elachi Beams are probably second best.
Green: Romulan Plasma Array from the reputation system.
Blue: Refacting tetryon Array or Retrofit Phasers
Purp: Photonic Polaron.

Chroniton Dual Beam Array is a DBB that cycles through a rainbow as it fires, you'll have to debate the virtues of shooting a literal rainbow versus using a DBB. You know the right choice.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
When someone has time, can anyone explain the new R&D system? I tried it out and got very confused. Also is there someplace we can turn in old particle trace stuff?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Double click on them to bring up the tradein store.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Anyone know if the Xindi Aquatic carrier would be a good engie-boat? I know that the reculse is the gold standard these days but was hoping for an alternative.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Reptilian bridge is pretty boring with no chair and only slightly bigger than the Jem one. The boff costume unlock is pretty though:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

CrushedWill posted:

Is Arc down, or am I just special?

Stop using that piece of poo poo and get it on Steam. Or at least get the standalone launcher from somewhere.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Morglon posted:

Stop using that piece of poo poo and get it on Steam. Or at least get the standalone launcher from somewhere.

Steam launcher is kind of hosed though. At least it was a few weeks ago when I first started playing this goddamn crack rock of a game. I had to download some bullshit to get it to start properly but gently caress me if I can remember what it was when I had to do it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Xindi Contortrix in KDF Aegis:

Dyson:

Counter Command:

Borg:

Aleth fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 17, 2014

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

When someone has time, can anyone explain the new R&D system? I tried it out and got very confused. Also is there someplace we can turn in old particle trace stuff?

Basically it replaces the old crafting system with 'projects', which are similar to doff assignments and use doffs as well as the new crafting materials, which can be acquired from the same places as the old ones, in addition to as a reward from STFs. Projects that produce actual gear require both crafting materials and components that are produced by other projects.

The projects give you XP that increases your crafting level, which increases the odds of you successfully completing a given project. You start off with one R&D project slot, which is analogous to an assignment slot, and the more levels you gain the more slots you unlock.

Crafting is divided into 'schools', each of which levels up independently and contains projects relevant to a given type of technology. Each school contains several different types of project which require different doffs. One important aspect is that you can use only the quality of doff that is specified by the project, not a higher-grade one. This means you'll need some white doffs in your roster to do the lower-level projects.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Uh, are the Xindi another Viyager species or something because I have no idea who they are.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Better crafting question: Does it produce anything that I cant buy on the exchange?

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

Uh, are the Xindi another Viyager species or something because I have no idea who they are.

Worse, Enterprise.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tunicate posted:

Double click on them to bring up the tradein store.

fatman1683 posted:

Basically it replaces the old crafting system with 'projects', which are similar to doff assignments and use doffs as well as the new crafting materials, which can be acquired from the same places as the old ones, in addition to as a reward from STFs. Projects that produce actual gear require both crafting materials and components that are produced by other projects.

The projects give you XP that increases your crafting level, which increases the odds of you successfully completing a given project. You start off with one R&D project slot, which is analogous to an assignment slot, and the more levels you gain the more slots you unlock.

Crafting is divided into 'schools', each of which levels up independently and contains projects relevant to a given type of technology. Each school contains several different types of project which require different doffs. One important aspect is that you can use only the quality of doff that is specified by the project, not a higher-grade one. This means you'll need some white doffs in your roster to do the lower-level projects.

Great, thanks!

And crap, I don't think my main has any more common doffs left... off to the academy for more fodder recruits!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Buschmaki posted:

Enterprise, the greatest series.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WraithMind posted:

Worse, Enterprise.

Just skimmed Memory Alpha about them since I didn't ever watch that much Enterprise (should I?) to begin with and they sounded kind of cool when they were bad guys. Like a sort of watered down Hegemonic Crux.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

AndyElusive posted:

Just skimmed Memory Alpha about them since I didn't ever watch that much Enterprise (should I?) to begin with and they sounded kind of cool when they were bad guys. Like a sort of watered down Hegemonic Crux.

If watching bad television shows is something you enjoy, then sure. Personally, I think Voyager is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, Enterprise is just boring and goofy most of the time. Voyager is pretty much designed to make you hate everything about it.

• Locked thread