Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Rad!

You should ally in some dark eldar because then you can call them Glow in the Dark Eldar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moola posted:

Rad!

You should ally in some dark eldar because then you can call them Glow in the Dark Eldar.

:aaaaa:

Excuse me one second while I adjust my wishlist

AgentF
May 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

In action, their first ever battle

We must have another some time soon. I've barely touched the new IG Codex and my boys are looking for a scrap (from a distance (with heavy ordnance)).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AgentF posted:

We must have another some time soon. I've barely touched the new IG Codex and my boys are looking for a scrap (from a distance (with heavy ordnance)).

Now I have two serpent shields, so we'll see about that :v:

Do you have 7th? Because I don't :20bux:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Nah I don't have it either and tbh I have no intention of buying it. We can stick with 6th or the Garrison wargaming club (Modbury Heights) has a club copy that we can use for a learning game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Either or, more about the fun than anything else. Working on some new heavy support options right now at least, but really ought to get some Dire Avengers done at some point.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Can you ally in a single Knight without going Unbound? It seems like I'd need two to fill out the ally detachment but I've only glanced at the Knight book.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Managed to get some paint on a battle wagon last night

I did the sepia wash with an airbrush and whilst it certainly saved a lot of time it didn't give me the depth of shade I was achieving by slapping it on, heavy, with a brush. So I might have to go back and do a little extra shading. But, for now, my army is painted for the tournament tomorrow.

After this I'll probably paint some "good" units like bikes and koptas

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Cataphract posted:

Managed to get some paint on a battle wagon last night

I did the sepia wash with an airbrush and whilst it certainly saved a lot of time it didn't give me the depth of shade I was achieving by slapping it on, heavy, with a brush. So I might have to go back and do a little extra shading. But, for now, my army is painted for the tournament tomorrow.

After this I'll probably paint some "good" units like bikes and koptas

This looks great but I agree it needs another inking and perhaps some weathering on the edges to be properly Orky - looks a bit too clean as is. Really crisp though!

(ps I loved the iPhone song just heard it today)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AgentF posted:

Nah I don't have it either and tbh I have no intention of buying it. We can stick with 6th or the Garrison wargaming club (Modbury Heights) has a club copy that we can use for a learning game.

You should at least use the 7E setup method where you place objectives before determining deployment zones. It's much better than 6E's "tailor the battlefield" setup method.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think doing some chipping [apply silvery color to some of the edges/rivets], then a little more of a mudwash would make it look tip-top. That yellow looks nice though!

Also holy poo poo those glowing eldar are so cool. Nontraditional paint high-five! :hf:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Painted my first piece of terrain. Yay. I think it is dangerous looking. Also, :greenangel: a smiley just for my Flesh Tealers! How lucky are they!

It is a large piece of terrain. On one hand you can see it is styrofoam but on the other it has a neat mottled texture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nichol fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 18, 2014

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Moola posted:

Rad!

Best poster, best idea. Now I want to build this stupid army and I just do the hobby aspects while not even playing any more.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sulecrist posted:

Can you ally in a single Knight without going Unbound? It seems like I'd need two to fill out the ally detachment but I've only glanced at the Knight book.

You don't use an Allied Detachment with Knights. A Knight Detachment has slots for 1-3 Imperial Knights of any kind.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Here's all my orks together. I'm going to be needing another shelf soon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cataphract posted:

Here's all my orks together. I'm going to be needing another shelf soon.

That's awesome man!

I've been working on my Black Legion army a bit. Although the supplement was one of the biggest loving wastes of money I've ever been swindled into buying, it did have a few cool concepts about the Black Legion factions, such as the Hounds of Abaddon, the Khorne devotees within the legion. I plan on doing a squad of Berserkers but this squad are regular Chaos Space Marines with the Mark of Khorne, done in the Hounds style.

I'm currently using the DV Chosen as champions in this army (cause they're dope as poo poo) and I plan to do squads of Plague Marines and Noise Marines for the army as well with converted chosen as the champions.

Also after the complexity of the Night Lords and my White Panthers, painting these yabbos is kind of a welcome break. At least until I start on the Thousand Sons I bought from Fix and get back to the White Panthers stuff I still have sitting around waiting to be painted.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's awesome man!

I've been working on my Black Legion army a bit. Although the supplement was one of the biggest loving wastes of money I've ever been swindled into buying, it did have a few cool concepts about the Black Legion factions, such as the Hounds of Abaddon, the Khorne devotees within the legion. I plan on doing a squad of Berserkers but this squad are regular Chaos Space Marines with the Mark of Khorne, done in the Hounds style.

I'm currently using the DV Chosen as champions in this army (cause they're dope as poo poo) and I plan to do squads of Plague Marines and Noise Marines for the army as well with converted chosen as the champions.

Also after the complexity of the Night Lords and my White Panthers, painting these yabbos is kind of a welcome break. At least until I start on the Thousand Sons I bought from Fix and get back to the White Panthers stuff I still have sitting around waiting to be painted.

looks good man, those chosen models totally outclass the csm plastics.

I kinda feel a bit melancholy about my Death Guard army, some times I'd like to throw in some noise marines but I just can't bring myself to... even as a counts as unit.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Anyone know a third party who sells the apocalyptic blast template? I usually buy from Miniature Market but they don't seem to carry it, and there aren't any on ebay that I can see.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I remember seeing a really good knockoff a few months ago, but I couldn't find it again. I'd like a set as they're going to become more common now.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Dag nasty, especially like the gold. Highlighting gold like that, akin to pimpin,' ain't easy.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

SRM posted:

Grey models are generally shameful, but these tanks aren't! Great armored battle group you've got there.

Also, the 40k Armageddon dadgame is shaping up:
http://www.slitherine.com/games/warhammer_PC

I grew up watching my dad play tons of games just like this so I'm pretty excited for it.

It has me interested. Almost looks like Final Liberation (which I think was a great 40k game). Has anyone here played Slitherine's other games? Does their style of game seem like it would make a good 40k game, or are we in for another cheap cash in game?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Keeku posted:

It has me interested. Almost looks like Final Liberation (which I think was a great 40k game). Has anyone here played Slitherine's other games? Does their style of game seem like it would make a good 40k game, or are we in for another cheap cash in game?

It can totally work, IMO. One of the better engines to try it in.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 18, 2014

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Have spent the evening working on this one. Mortis Contemptor dreadnought.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

Dag nasty, especially like the gold. Highlighting gold like that, akin to pimpin,' ain't easy.

Gold chat time. Who can reccomend a good gold metallic. I have gehennas gold and auric gold from the citadel range, but they are impossible to keep from seperating. In fact i havnt used them in a few months, i wouldnt be surprised if theyre beyond useless now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

high six posted:

Have spent the evening working on this one. Mortis Contemptor dreadnought.

Is that a lascannon and a multi-melta?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Speckled Jim posted:

Gold chat time. Who can reccomend a good gold metallic. I have gehennas gold and auric gold from the citadel range, but they are impossible to keep from seperating. In fact i havnt used them in a few months, i wouldnt be surprised if theyre beyond useless now.

I have two pots of whatever gold used to come in the citadel starter set (the one with 5 mono-pose ultramarines) and they have lasted for 3 years with no issues. I'll be sad if the new citadel line is so poor that the metallics fail after a couple of months, because both pots are about 2/3 empty.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Wow I have some old dimple-top burnished and shining gold that are probably 8 years old but are in fine condition. You do shake your paints vigorously for like a minute before you use them right?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Somebody help me out here. Was there an oldy-old power fist bit somewhere that was flipping the bird? Chaos, maybe?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Moola posted:

Rad!

I feel so justified in defending the quality of your posts in another thread the other day. Best idea ever.
Make it happen, NTRabbit. Godspeed.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Nichol posted:

Wow I have some old dimple-top burnished and shining gold that are probably 8 years old but are in fine condition. You do shake your paints vigorously for like a minute before you use them right?

Shaking is insufficient for these bad boys. Got to stir them for a couple minutes then shake. Even then it feels like theyre semi transparant. I have an old mithril silver that must be at least 6 years old and it is pure liquid wonderment.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

HiveCommander posted:

I feel so justified in defending the quality of your posts in another thread the other day. Best idea ever.
Make it happen, NTRabbit. Godspeed.

If someone gives me a idea of what a Dark Eldar allied detachment should look like, I'll work on it. So far all I can think of is Raiders with Banshees and Dark Reapers.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is that a lascannon and a multi-melta?

Yeah it is. I don't actually play, I got him off ebay and he came that way.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fix posted:

Somebody help me out here. Was there an oldy-old power fist bit somewhere that was flipping the bird? Chaos, maybe?

Not even oldy-old, one of the current Chaos Terminator power fists (I want to say the termie champion/sorc box?) could be interpreted as flipping the bird--the middle digit is extended and all. It'd probably take some work to get it into an orientation where the flipoff was actually directed forward, though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Speckled Jim posted:

Easy route: Vallejo Model Air metallics.
Ultimate route: Vallejo Liquid Gold metallics.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JerryLee posted:

Not even oldy-old, one of the current Chaos Terminator power fists (I want to say the termie champion/sorc box?) could be interpreted as flipping the bird--the middle digit is extended and all. It'd probably take some work to get it into an orientation where the flipoff was actually directed forward, though.

Meh, I was hoping for something older and smaller.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fix posted:

Maybe there's an old one too, I really wouldn't know. :shrug:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Mango Polo posted:

Easy route: Vallejo Model Air metallics.
Ultimate route: Vallejo Liquid Gold metallics.

VMA metals are good and all, but their gold/copper are really suitable only as highlight colors. Liquid Gold paints are very good, but require you to thin them with alcohol, react incredibly poorly to water, and dry to a surface that doesn't take washes particularly well, which can make shading tricky. You also don't get to mix them with water-based acrylic colors to get good shade tones. If you have the means, I highly recommend finding an art store and picking up a tube of Golden Artist Acrylics' Iridescent Bronze (Fine). That tube will last someone painting miniatures with it literally years unless you're being incredibly wasteful, is just a normal acrylic paint that thins down to the standard consistency we use with just water, can be mixed with VMA silvers to bring it up to a bright gold if you want, and takes washes quite well once dry.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

You should at least use the 7E setup method where you place objectives before determining deployment zones. It's much better than 6E's "tailor the battlefield" setup method.

A fair point + good idea.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Playing 6th with good stuff from 7th (lol) cherry picked out is the pro way to 40k.

Playing kill team is the PROEST way to play though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fix posted:

The old metal chaos power fists have fairly easily-manipulated digits; you could make one flipping the bird pretty easy if you wanted.

Speckled Jim posted:

I use the GW paints for my metallics. They do separate from time to time, but some vigorous shaking is all it takes to get them back into painting order. My standard tactic is to start with a layer of Gehenna Gold, then cover that with Auric Gold, shade with Agrax Earthshade, and then do highlights with a mix of Auric Gold, Runefang Steel, and white.

• Locked thread