Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Deathlove posted:

They said I have to pick them up at Customer Service come con-time. At least they credited the $10 delivery fee.

Pick them up Wednesday Night or hate yourself. Thursday morning is like a 6 hour fuckfest with a line that literally extends across the entire convention center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sigma-X posted:

Pick them up Wednesday Night or hate yourself. Thursday morning is like a 6 hour fuckfest with a line that literally extends across the entire convention center.

Seconding this. Will Call should be open pretty late Wednesday (I think it's open all night again this year) Don't wait for Thursday!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

8one6 posted:

Seconding this. Will Call should be open pretty late Wednesday (I think it's open all night again this year) Don't wait for Thursday!

The booth opens Wednesday and is open 24 hours again this year. And yes get your badges Wednesday or be prepared to spend you entire Thursday standing in a giant gently caress off line.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Updated my info. I canna wait.

I need to get into the GroupMe Chat

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Does GroupMe still limit groups to 50 people? I hope we don't outgrow it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So, I missed all the event reg poo poo, and I have no tickets, not even generics. Are generics usable by anybody or are they tagged to a specific person?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Crackbone posted:

So, I missed all the event reg poo poo, and I have no tickets, not even generics. Are generics usable by anybody or are they tagged to a specific person?
I think they're technically assigned to you, but I've never had anybody look at them to check.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So anybody got a few they want to sell? gently caress waiting in line on Thurs.

Of course I can just run the dealer hall and get wasted/play in the hotel lobby.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Crackbone posted:

Of course I can just run the dealer hall and get wasted/play in the hotel lobby.

Getting generics will take hardly any time as long as you are not trying to do it midday Thursday.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Just bought my plane tickets today. This thing is happening!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Crackbone posted:

There are usually several generic ticket stations outside of the main area - There's one that's in the big tournament/TCG room usually. You can also pick them up Wednesday Night, and you can share them with people freely - you just can't refund them to any account other than the listed account.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I made a new GroupMe group to use again this year.

Go here to download the app for your iOS/Android/Windows Phone.

Make an account.

Click here to join the GenGoons group!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I AM SO IN THERE

SUP GROUPME

ME GROUP

morcant posted:

I once again decided not to cosplay, mostly out of laziness and indecision. One of these years, maybe...
But last year you even had a cosplay hairdo ... I thought. You said anyway. If that is just how you roll, then hell yeah!

CaptainRat posted:

Just bought my plane tickets today. This thing is happening!
omg

In the immortal words of you last week,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Q5Q_fVW-o

jadarx
May 25, 2012
Looking forward to 8th Gencon (man, times fly). Had to make it a shorter trip than normal.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Quarex posted:

But last year you even had a cosplay hairdo ... I thought. You said anyway. If that is just how you roll, then hell yeah!

I was gonna get a mohawk to cosplay as Vaas from Far Cry... Which... I do actually have all the necessary costume bits I bought last year for Halloween... Hm. I'll have to think about that. :D

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sigma-X posted:

I can't get there until Thursday afternoon :gonk: I've got an email back in to the CS guy stating this.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

morcant posted:

I was gonna get a mohawk to cosplay as Vaas from Far Cry... Which... I do actually have all the necessary costume bits I bought last year for Halloween... Hm. I'll have to think about that. :D
You should just go as your avatar because that is the best cat ever.

jadarx posted:

Looking forward to 8th Gencon (man, times fly). Had to make it a shorter trip than normal.
LENGTHEN IT

Hey so the GroupMe room and the IRC channel and the spreadsheet here are all pretty cool. What other high-falutin' things I do not know about can we use to stay in touch constantly through the convention and then never actually get together? I am going to start a Tinder account using a picture of Gary Gygax

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

I'm having some trouble with the groupme. That link just brings up a blank page in the app. Any ideas how to get in?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Launch the link in a browser.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Does anyone know how late Will Call does stay open on Wednesday night? My flight doesn't get in until 1120pm, and then with luggage pickup and getting shuttled to the hotel I'm thinking I'm not on site until at least midnight or later.

e: Also, 2nd GenCon ever, first GenCon attending as a regular attendee (went last year working with Cryptozoic). Can't wait!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Merauder posted:

Does anyone know how late Will Call does stay open on Wednesday night? My flight doesn't get in until 1120pm, and then with luggage pickup and getting shuttled to the hotel I'm thinking I'm not on site until at least midnight or later.

e: Also, 2nd GenCon ever, first GenCon attending as a regular attendee (went last year working with Cryptozoic). Can't wait!

I think I picked up my stuff at like 1am last year. The convention center will be open and there is a desk with three people that I believe stays open all night.

Finally booked my plane ticket and am stoked. I'll be flying in to Chicago to see some friends and then a few days later we will drive down to the event.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

InShaneee posted:

Launch the link in a browser.

Still didn't work. Same blank page in the app. Can you invite people to the chat?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

LongDarkNight posted:

Still didn't work. Same blank page in the app. Can you invite people to the chat?

Yeah, looks like you can. Needs a "Name, email, or phone number" though. PM me if you don't want to post any of that in thread and I'll send an invite.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I have my name set as "Long Dark Night". Give that a try.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Holy poo poo, the mythical gencon housing waitlist just called me back.

They upgraded me to the Omni. Woo. :toot:

From $109/night at the airport shitsville to $195/night at the omni, but I get to ditch the rental car. Nice!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

LongDarkNight posted:

I have my name set as "Long Dark Night". Give that a try.

No dice, it seems to really want a phone # or email address.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ritorix posted:

That list hooked me up last year, as well. It's the best.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Promo/Exclusive talk. Last year I sort of picked up random promos from just walking around. Fire Sneeze for Pathfinder Card Game, a card for Mage Wars that I don't remember, etc.

What are some of the exclusives and promos you guys are looking forward to this year? I looked around for a list (I remember seeing one on BGG at some point) but I didn't find anything definitive.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I'll be checking out what Mage Wars is giving out, and I wouldn't be surprised if Krosmaster has some promos as well.

I will be absolutely inconsolable if the Doomtown Reloaded Premium Sets are sold out by the time I get there.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm lining up at 9am for Doomtown.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm not going to be able to get there til like 11am, and I suspect by then all the copies of Premium Edition will be on craigslist.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kaddish posted:

What are some of the exclusives and promos you guys are looking forward to this year? I looked around for a list (I remember seeing one on BGG at some point) but I didn't find anything definitive.

I found an awesome GenCon 2013 Promos and Exclusives geeklist but can't find anything similar for this year. I messaged the guy who wrote that one and asked if he'd either be doing one this year or be willing to share how he mined the info for the one he did last year.

I haven't finished figuring out what I'll be trying to scoop up before it sells out. Doomtown and WH40k: Conquest, probably. Castles of Mad King Ludwig if it's there. There will likely be promos for King of Tokyo and/or New York, probably something for 7 Wonders since the Babylon expansion's coming out. Dunno what else yet.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Housing longshot: If anyone has a queen/Q2D at the hilton and would be willing to trade for a king suite or two, please click http://community.gencon.com/forums/p/34288/375388.aspx#375388 .

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Merauder posted:

HELLO MERAUDER I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE

Cryptozoic, huh? Were you ... oh, no, looking at their webpage I do not know enough about any of their games to make a topical reference :(

ritorix posted:

They upgraded me to the Omni. Woo. :toot:
That is pretty awesome. Congratulations! Which reminds me I should probably cancel my emergency backup Embassy Suites room. Unless someone wants dibs on a nearly-$400/night suite.

Even though I know it likely discourages people from coming if they cannot do so, the full Gen-Con experience really requires getting a close hotel. I mean, my first two years we had a 30-45 minute commute to and from the convention--and while I still had amazing times both years, there is no denying the benefit of easy access to a room for dumping your new purchases and starting fresh. Or napping after the exhibit hall closes. Or just knowing that you can stumble out of a bar wasted at 2 A.M. and not have to worry about how you are getting home. Well, unless you manage to fall into an open sewer grate.

The best thing I did with my nearby-hotel-accessibility last year was finally hit the goth/industrial night at 247 Sky Bar, though it sounds like that same goth/industrial night was somewhere else entirely in 2012, so it might move again in 2014. Or not happen :( But where else will I get to hang out with the subset of convention attendees who are fit enough to move for more than five minutes without passing out?

Edit: Oh no my clubbing buddy is going to be 5 months pregnant!!! WHERE WILL I FIND A WOMAN TO GO WITH TO MAKE ME LOOK COOL THIS TIME

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

USPS lost my passes. :gonk:

Update: they found them! Victory and passes and tickets are mine.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

Even though I know it likely discourages people from coming if they cannot do so, the full Gen-Con experience really requires getting a close hotel. I mean, my first two years we had a 30-45 minute commute to and from the convention--and while I still had amazing times both years, there is no denying the benefit of easy access to a room for dumping your new purchases and starting fresh. Or napping after the exhibit hall closes. Or just knowing that you can stumble out of a bar wasted at 2 A.M. and not have to worry about how you are getting home. Well, unless you manage to fall into an open sewer grate.

I 100% agree with this. While we commute in most years one year we got a hotel room at the JW with some friends and found it really enhanced the experience. If the finances allowed it we would get a room every year even though we live less than 20 min away.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Backno posted:

I 100% agree with this. While we commute in most years one year we got a hotel room at the JW with some friends and found it really enhanced the experience. If the finances allowed it we would get a room every year even though we live less than 20 min away.

This is what our group does since most of us are out super late anyways and the drive can be annoying in the morning, even if it is just a quick shot down Meridian (haha).

Seriously hotel room makes the con completely different and is highly encouraged.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Being in walking distance does really improve things. Even being on the shuttle route last year, which worked, changed things. It's much better if you can just hop over back and forth from your room, especially when carrying things and if you like to check out the local bars and things for a bit in the evenings.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
After living in Indy for ten years, this will be my first Gen Con.

Hold me, I'm scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is what we are here for, DOTA Uninstaller. To hold those who are scared.

But you will be easier to hold if you are at a nearby hotel.

• Locked thread