Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mod sassinator posted:

that sucks but take it as an opportunity to find something better. since the whole team was shut down it really shouldn't detract at all from your work history. go out and have some beers tonight, then start getting resumes out. i bet by the time severance ends you'll have some good leads. good luck
yeah. it's cold comfort, but there are worse tech job markets to be suddenly dumped into (although 18000 people hitting it at once toughens it more than a little bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
http://apple.com/jobs

amazing yosposters plz apply tia

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hello there,

[11 PARAGRAPHS OF CORPORATE GOBBLEDYGOOK]

You're fired.

[3 MORE PARAGRAPHS]

Regards,

Stephen Elop
Jesus Christ, Stephen Elop is a motherfucker.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

FMguru posted:

yeah. it's cold comfort, but there are worse tech job markets to be suddenly dumped into (although 18000 people hitting it at once toughens it more than a little bit)

yeah but 12,000 or so are in finland, and even way less down in san diego

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mod sassinator posted:

yeah but 12,000 or so are in finland, and even way less down in san diego
lmao finland

i was sad to learn they were on the euro because i would have loved to see the market reaction to their currency once the news came down that msft was basically stripping their national champion down for parts

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

FMguru posted:

lmao finland

i was sad to learn they were on the euro because i would have loved to see the market reaction to their currency once the news came down that msft was basically stripping their national champion down for parts

at this point, i wonder if they would arrest elop should he ever step foot in their country again

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
If you're in seattle and are a dev or designer and have any sort of people skills, reply and I will figure out a way to contact you about future employment possibilities.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

at this point, i wonder

hahahahaha, yeah same, OP.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

hahahahaha, yeah same, OP.
lol as if

your capacity for wonder was burned out of you a long time ago, z0r

probably by the booze

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Microsoft is the company that, right after launching the XBox 1 (the other one) in Japan, they immediately laid off people; not realizing what a cultural taboo that is in Japan and set themselves up for failure for every subsequent launch in Japan after that

this company does not even engage in the most basic of research before making major, major decisions. I get legit depressed any time I hear of firings but from what I have read about Microsoft in all my business classes, you can only better yourself by working somewhere else. And this is coming from someone who actually does not dislike Microsoft.

one of my professors used them as a case study for "toxic work environment" and this was like 3 years ago

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Microsoft is the company that, right after launching the XBox 1 (the other one) in Japan, they immediately laid off people; not realizing what a cultural taboo that is in Japan and set themselves up for failure for every subsequent launch in Japan after that

can't read this without hearing "square just shot themselves in the foot"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Miley Virus posted:

can't read this without hearing "square just shot themselves in the foot"

i just googled this and it's funny in the enraged gamer way but not what i meant. the japanese public aren't very receptive to american companies and Microsoft didn't bother to think "lets wait a few weeks after the xbox 1 launch before firing a bunch of Japanese people since people here are already iffy about us"

i don't think any Japanese businessmen or the general public gave a poo poo that yet another trash FF game is cross platform lol

Microsoft didn't bother to do undergrad level of research when trying to win over a country

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i just googled this and it's funny in the enraged gamer way but not what i meant. the japanese public aren't very receptive to american companies and Microsoft didn't bother to think "lets wait a few weeks after the xbox 1 launch before firing a bunch of Japanese people since people here are already iffy about us"

i don't think any Japanese businessmen or the general public gave a poo poo that yet another trash FF game is cross platform lol

Microsoft didn't bother to do undergrad level of research when trying to win over a country

i get what you mean, japan's pretty much a place of working at the same company until you retire right?

hell just in general that's an incredibly disrespectful practice

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Miley Virus posted:

i get what you mean, japan's pretty much a place of working at the same company until you retire right?

yeah, in America you're seen as a pain in the rear end for staying with the same company for too long :cripes:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

yeah, the problem with recommending a stack like that is even with proper documentation forget about ever being able to get someone else to admin your special snowflake implementation. it's a perfect model for a million cornercases based on what build of everything you managed to deploy initially. and who handles support? that's like four different "vendors" at least.

it's all one vendor. red hat DS. red hat IAM. red hat OS. it's all insanely easy and smooth going until you want to configure other things for it. red hat will happily support you using rhds and rh iam for stuff that isn't red hat, but they can't compel 3rd parties to ship their magic auto-configuring agents.

microsoft is similar. AD works great as long as you're in a 100% microsoft shop. the difference: when you start doing anything non-microsoft with your AD implementation, there is always the risk microsoft will tell you to gently caress off. (i have had ms support explicitly tell me not to use AD as an LDAP server)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is a bad post but a great username/post combo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a bad post but a great username/post combo

:ironicat:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

G-III posted:

Jesus Christ, Stephen Elop is a motherfucker.

lol if you think he was the only one involved in writing that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

duTrieux. posted:

lol if you think he was the only one involved in writing that

its committee-driven execuspeak, but he signed his name to it and he also was the fifth column in nokia that orchestrated the acquisition by microsoft

why on earth did they bring all these employees in to microsoft during the acquisition only to fire them, it's nuts

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because thats what happens in acquisitions

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

when microsoft does something that makes no sense and you want to know why the answer is probably some variant of "they don't know either"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Well he hadn't got to the part of "takeovers for dummies" that said to get rid of everyone until now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kwinkles posted:

why on earth did they bring all these employees in to microsoft during the acquisition only to fire them, it's nuts

i'm pretty sure microsoft didn't buy nokia in order to get access to their hungarian manufacturing plants

when you buy a company, there are some bits you want and some bits you don't want.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Scott Forstall posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

yeah, in America you're seen as a pain in the rear end for staying with the same company for too long :cripes:

only at companies that believe in "up or out"

a few great companies believe that if you're really good at what you do, and they need what you do, and you're happy doing it, why not just keep paying you to do it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

a few great companies believe that if you're really good at what you do, and they need what you do, and you're happy doing it, why not just keep paying you to do it?

as long as they never have to give you a raise

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

who would have thought Nokia peeps would be sacked by Microsoft?????

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
remember when microsfot killed XNA without telling any of the xna team and they all went to twiter like 'uhhh' lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pram posted:

because thats what happens in acquisitions

sometimes the acquired employees keep their jobs and the acquiring company lays people off instead i.e. my life right now lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

it's a delineation between 'client machines' in purpose, and user desktops. if the users actually have real need for an actual desktop, then they should get one, and forcing a client machine on them doesnt make sense. if it's a rote job that is simply to interact with x, be it internet access or just getting to an old AS/400, , 'thin clients' or full client machines are desirable.

to tldr the poo poo, if the users get insulted by using a client machine then its probably the wrong choice

yep

+1 to have the person driving this to know the distinction

(god loving drat it citrix make usb forwarding more robust thru xenapp you idiots)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bold things microsoft has done to warrant stock increase:

1) fire ballmer
2) fire some more people

who knows what the future holds

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

record profits from spinning off Xbox

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as long as they never have to give you a raise

you might be surprised

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

you might be surprised

if you're surprised by a large raise it means you were being cheated so heinously they feared your imminent departure when you found out

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

thx op

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i wonder how many aspies who can't adjust to microsofts new structure and lack of pepperoni-only pizza nights will quit as well.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
the pizza in microsoft's cafeteria's was poo poo, trust me

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yes, but it was constant

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

the pizza in microsoft's cafeteria's was poo poo, trust me

they didn't even care enough about their people to have wood-fired pizza ovens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Scott Forstall posted:

in an alternate universe, Nokia said "gently caress it, we're going Android" with the Lumia as the hardware and are currently one of the top Android OEMs.

and all those people still have their jobs.

but lol nope, microsoft
Welp

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5911909/microsoft-kills-off-its-nokia-android-phones

Microsoft is planning to scrap its Nokia X Android efforts and replace them with Windows Phone in the future. The news comes as part of today's announcement that Microsoft is cutting 18,000 jobs in the next year. In an email to former Nokia staff, Microsoft devices chief Stephen Elop details the company's renewed focus on Windows Phone. "In addition to the portfolio already planned, we plan to deliver additional lower-cost Lumia devices by shifting select future Nokia X designs and products to Windows Phone devices," says Elop. "We expect to make this shift immediately while continuing to sell and support existing Nokia X products."

• Locked thread