Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Good to hear because three copies just popped into my mailbox. At that price point I ordered two for gifts.

You know you've Kickstarted too many projects when hearing things like this prompts you to go "Did I back that? I think I backed that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

cyberia posted:

It's a card game in the style of old fighting games Beat-em-ups like Street Fighter Streets of Rage and has a radical '90s aesthetic to the art.

Fixed that for you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Fixed that for you.

Yea you gotta be clear on this because there are already a few super good fighting game card games, but a sweet rear end neon-grunge-punk-street trash style Streets of Rage card game is awesome.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanks to Boss Monster, any TG Kickstarter that appeals to videogamers (especially retro videogamers) is immediately suspect in my eyes. It is an easy aesthetic to sell on a probably very shallow game. I'd love to be proven wrong though since a beat em up game would be cool if somehow done right.

(Someone make a shmup game)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

Thanks to Boss Monster, any TG Kickstarter that appeals to videogamers (especially retro videogamers) is immediately suspect in my eyes. It is an easy aesthetic to sell on a probably very shallow game. I'd love to be proven wrong though since a beat em up game would be cool if somehow done right.

(Someone make a shmup game)
I remember hearing about a shmup board game but I can't remember what it was called. I remember it because it had a scrolling board mechanism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

I remember hearing about a shmup board game but I can't remember what it was called. I remember it because it had a scrolling board mechanism.

The old MB game Thunder Road had a scrolling board (sort of - whenever someone moved off the front half, the back half moved to the front and everyone on it was eliminated), but it's not based on a shmup.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dreamforge is still forgin' along, with this sexy shot of assembled Valkir Support Weapons. :quagmire:

They also had this handy graphic for progress of various products along with explanations for each step, which I think more miniatures/tabletop kickstarters should have.

I talked to Mark and he's really happy to have done this project, even if there's been boatloads of snags, it's still progressing along despite it all. He also said he'll be trying to offer discounted prices for KS backers who want to order more things down the road, which is awesome, since I'd really like to get some of the female stormtroopers once those come out.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Tekopo posted:

Battle at Kemble's Cascade
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154301/battle-kembles-cascade

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Why does this project need $20,000 to make this game, and why do 3 hard copy books cost $500?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/186567785/ascended-saga-tabletop-rpg

The art is nice, but seriously they are way over reaching with that goal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Why does this project need $20,000 to make this game, and why do 3 hard copy books cost $500?

Their term for GM appears to be "Sagaman".

Just pointin' that out.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Those valkirs own so hard. I'll get some for sure when they're available at retail... which I assume will be in like 2 years.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just pointin' that out.

It's no Hollyhock God, but it may be the best/worst GM alt name I've seen in a while.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Antimatter games is doing another mini-Kickstarter for their Shadowsea game. I got in on their last one, and the models are pretty cool. They've been pretty good about fulfilling their previous Kickstarters, so I'm not terribly worried about them not getting the product out the door.

They're currently working on a lizardman riding a huge triceratops, so if you're into that sort of thing, this might be for you.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

:catdrugs:

Also, they haven't started writing the three books yet. Only the beginner guide is complete, the KS is to fund them writing the other books. This is glossed over in the "risks & challenges" section. They're confident they can get it done and the book out for Spring 2015. Bollocks they can.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TastyAvocado posted:

Those valkirs own so hard. I'll get some for sure when they're available at retail... which I assume will be in like 2 years.

Possibly, but you can get the Eisenkern and Leviathans now on his site, which from first hand experience I can say are of the highest quality, rivaling Games Workshop, and cheaper too, with more options.

Sorry if I sound like a shill, but he's been doing his best to make sure this thing happens, despite all the setbacks, and has remained enthusiastic despite the problems, and every example of his products I have received have exceeded all of my expectations. It's taken years past the estimated time, but pretty much every backer after receiving the first kit he sent out was like "yoooo, okay, this is not a scam, take as much time as you need to finish the rest".

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Has the Kickstarter for this Polish steampunk skirmish game been posted here yet? Because those miniatures are purdy. :allears:

I don't even and won't even play skirmish games, generally. But I am about 5 seconds from pledging myself some clockwork fancymen and basset hounds in doggles. :3:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Indolent Bastard posted:

And yet...$6 will get you all three books as PDFs. :psyduck: This Kickstarter makes no sense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Text-only PDFs with no artwork. E.g., unedited Word document. Yeah that KS makes no sense.

The ShadowSea miniatures one is kind of interesting, in the sense of the two different games that are mutually compatible, and there are a lot of pretty cool miniatures available or in the works. Unfortunately, it's yet another minis game where every single female model - with no exceptions - is a scantily-clad sexy figure showing tons of skin. There are even topless figures. Feels like a broken record pointing this out about every interesting new minis game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

quote:

The different races have distinctive roles and intertwining histories. They also react to each of the other races in their own ways.

I've always wanted my fantasy racism codified instead of just being implied.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Wow - those Dreamforge Valkir are incredible. That's the way a heavy weapon *should* look.

My Kickstarter for little resin lands for your tiny plastic mans (aka, resin terrain for miniatures) is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

That Kickstarter is hilarious and everyone should go read it (flaming roundhouse kicks! Jugbug swarms! Backyard adventures!) but the reason that any Kickstarter asks for an inordinate amount of money is because time and again nerds have proven that they're willing to massively overfund even the dumbest things so why limit yourself to just the money you need as opposed to as much as you can rake in?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Iris of Ether posted:

Has the Kickstarter for this Polish steampunk skirmish game been posted here yet? Because those miniatures are purdy. :allears:

I don't think so.

Speaking of Polish miniatures games, the By Fire and Sword people are doing a second Kickstarter for a supplement to the game,
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1263001724/the-deluge-northern-war-1655-1660?ref=nav_search

The first one had pretty miniatures (15mm) and good rules, this one is already funded with 43 days to go. I need to get un-broke, I want that 408 page hardcover rulebook.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kai Tave posted:

That Kickstarter is hilarious and everyone should go read it (flaming roundhouse kicks! Jugbug swarms! Backyard adventures!) but the reason that any Kickstarter asks for an inordinate amount of money is because time and again nerds have proven that they're willing to massively overfund even the dumbest things so why limit yourself to just the money you need as opposed to as much as you can rake in?

Man I coulda swore the companies name was 'anygoon' the first time I read it.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just pointin' that out.

"sagaman" literally means "storyteller". If the game were specifically Norse-themed and, crucially, didn't have the word "Saga" in the name, it wouldn't come across as trying too hard to be too clever/cute.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So yeah, while I still don't know if I regret backing Galactic Strike Force, and the way that they ran their Sentinels Tactics KS left a tiny bit of a bad taste in my mouth. They definitely surprised me with their latest update. They say that they're going to be shipping to KS backers next month, when the original targeted month was December. Backers only, and then retail should get it 1-2 months later. So I guess I'll see if it's any good then and if it isn't I'm probably going to be done with GTG stuff.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

So yeah, while I still don't know if I regret backing Galactic Strike Force, and the way that they ran their Sentinels Tactics KS left a tiny bit of a bad taste in my mouth. They definitely surprised me with their latest update. They say that they're going to be shipping to KS backers next month, when the original targeted month was December. Backers only, and then retail should get it 1-2 months later. So I guess I'll see if it's any good then and if it isn't I'm probably going to be done with GTG stuff.

The impression I get is that they're generally pretty good about shipping ahead of their estimates, whether that be because they build a generous amount of wiggle room into their projections or whether they're just that on top of things. GSF was an exception, obviously. I know Shattered Timelines shipped months ahead of schedule. That and Sentinel Tactics, I believe, remain the only Kickstarters I've backed (out of well over 150) to ship -ahead- of time.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Text-only PDFs with no artwork. E.g., unedited Word document. Yeah that KS makes no sense.

The ShadowSea miniatures one is kind of interesting, in the sense of the two different games that are mutually compatible, and there are a lot of pretty cool miniatures available or in the works. Unfortunately, it's yet another minis game where every single female model - with no exceptions - is a scantily-clad sexy figure showing tons of skin. There are even topless figures. Feels like a broken record pointing this out about every interesting new minis game.

Yeah, their female models are pretty bad. Their monsters, though, are awesome.

It's really a pity one of their best "monster" armies (Axibalan) also contains some of their worst females.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Black Stones posted:

:psyduck:

You're upset they're shipping earlier than their estimate?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Crackbone posted:

:psyduck:

You're upset they're shipping earlier than their estimate?

I believe the bad taste he's referring to is how they revealed stretch goals and their pricing structure/backer options. Given all that, he's pleasantly surprised that they're shipping early.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 19, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bosushi! posted:

I believe the bad taste he's referring to is how they revealed stretch goals and their pricing structure/backer options. Given all that, he's pleasantly surprised that they're shipping early.

That's it exactly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
"...And Lo...a miracle occurred..."

Mike Nystul actually posted some completed product to all his unfulfilled KS projects. It's only some maps from Nystul's Infinite Dungeon, but it's something at least.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

There's two new Resistance expansions up on KS!

It seems like a lot of the expansions is backporting the Avalon stuff back into the base Resistance (including promos like Lancelot and Excalibur), but there's also some new stuff in there too. You can get both expansions for $20, and they've said that there will be two printings, so if you back early, you'll be getting into the first printing in November.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Spincut posted:

There's two new Resistance expansions up on KS!

It seems like a lot of the expansions is backporting the Avalon stuff back into the base Resistance (including promos like Lancelot and Excalibur), but there's also some new stuff in there too. You can get both expansions for $20, and they've said that there will be two printings, so if you back early, you'll be getting into the first printing in November.

Fantastic. I've been meaning to pick up Avalon, but between the missing promos and the Arthurian legend setting, I had been putting it off. (Nothing against Arthurian legend, but I can't help but love cyberpunk dystopian futures)

This seems to fix both my problems at the same time!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So are they just going to keep going back and forth on "development" between this and Avalon because that is going to get real annoying real quick. Why even bother having two versions besides causing people to double dip? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

So are they just going to keep going back and forth on "development" between this and Avalon because that is going to get real annoying real quick. Why even bother having two versions besides causing people to double dip? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah I'm not sure what to think of it either. I don't think it'd hurt to ask, honestly. I only have Avalon and it'd be nice to have everything with base Resistance w/ expansion, but if they're just planning on putting the new stuff into Avalon too, then why bother?

Also I'm still mad that Lancelot and Excalibur are still impossible to get.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Don't think the new Mouse Guard board game kickstarter's gotten mention here yet. I'm fairly charmed by the whole thing, but I'm a big fan of Mouse Guard in general, and of course the thing's easily sailed well past funding goals already.

Talked to Luke Crane about it the other night, too. Part of me wishes there were some big stretch goals to incentivize me kicking in for the project at this point, but their take seems pretty realistic, and honestly, $30 isn't a bad price at all for a set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spincut posted:

Also I'm still mad that Lancelot and Excalibur are still impossible to get.

Don't be mad about Lancelot; I've played with him and he's poo poo. If you have one Lancelot, then that player gets to watch while everyone else tries to win the game because his own victory is a coinflip. If you have two, then two people get to watch while everyone else tries to win the game because they'll never be picked until mission 5 and their own teams will be automatically rejected by everyone.

Excalibur I haven't played with, but I've read the rules and here's how it works: the Team Leader gives Excalibur to one player on the team at the start of each mission, and the Red Team wins. Then you rip the lovely thing in half and mail the pieces to Indie requesting your money back.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
According to an interview on the D6G, Mantic is going to be dropping a new version of Dwarf King’s Hold via Kickstarter at the end of July. Continuing the tradition of Mantic doing what GW won't, I guess it is a Warhammer Quest-style game. There have been some variants previously, and this is like the 4th or 5th iteration. I'm not sure what makes the new version special.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

According to an interview on the D6G, Mantic is going to be dropping a new version of Dwarf King’s Hold via Kickstarter at the end of July. Continuing the tradition of Mantic doing what GW won't, I guess it is a Warhammer Quest-style game. There have been some variants previously, and this is like the 4th or 5th iteration. I'm not sure what makes the new version special.

We've been talking about it a while in the Mantic thread, plenty of details about what makes it new here:

http://manticblog.com/2014/06/23/dkq-abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here/
http://quirkworthy.com/2014/05/28/dwarf-kings-hold-4-some-info/
http://quirkworthy.com/2014/07/13/dkh-mini-update/

In terms of components they're using crowd funding to go with preassembled or single piece 'soft PVC' (ie Loka, Gears of War) minis, high quality double sided floor cards and HeroQuest style hard plastic decoratives, to replace the unassembled restic and low quality single sided floor cards that really didn't work well for the board gaming crowd.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

As someone who has never heard of Dwarf King's Hold, this game sounds an awful lot like Descent.

• Locked thread