Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mr Tastee posted:

Pierce is my personal favorite character in the series, pre and post his complete change in character.

Agreed. I've always liked those characters who are good enough on their own, but are always overshadowed. He's the Horatio to the Boss' Hamlet. The Xander to their Buffy. The peanut butter to the Boss' jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

Saint's Row meets Destroy All Humans Meets Watch Dogs Meets Something With Awesome Vehicle Mechanics.

Fittingly, this is Saints Row.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Sleeping Dogs fits the bill too. Saint's Row could use the ability to ram into other cars and action hijacking.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
So if I loved the poo poo out of SR2 but couldn't stand SR3, would SR4 be worth the $30?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I personally feel it's closest to 3 out of all the games, but there's plenty of homage to 1 & 2.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Mr Tastee posted:

I personally feel it's closest to 3 out of all the games, but there's plenty of homage to 1 & 2.

That's kind of what I thought :(

For me, 2 straddled the line between being grounded in reality and monkeycheese pretty well with some enjoyable character development. It felt like 3 just kind of took the worst parts of 2 and ran with them. Too bad.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Too bad for you. :colbert:

If the idea of having super powers doesn't sound fun and basically being able to wreck poo poo. Well nuts. SR4 was basically the perfect love letter to the fans and ties a nice ending note to the whole series.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It was less a love letter and more a drunken booty call. And I loved it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was less a love letter and more a drunken booty call. And I loved it.

But a SINCERE drunken booty call!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I need someone to ravage me :(

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Crappy Jack posted:

Pierce would totally be a bard. No question.

I'm imagining a high-level skill titled Purple Rain where Pierce sings the titular song off-key while calling in a group of attack helicopters to blast the target with rockets.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Crossover with Deus Ex where the Saints get augmented :q:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Mr Tastee posted:

Pierce is my personal favorite character in the series, pre and post his complete change in character.
The SR4 loyalty mission was pretty drat awesome.

As others and I've said before (elsewhere I think), Marlow Briggs is pretty cool because you can go into it playing as Pierce in his breakout action hero role. (Although he buffed up a bit.)

The game has a few rough edges but it's very much worth when it's less than a dollah.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm imagining a high-level skill titled Purple Rain where Pierce sings the titular song off-key while calling in a group of attack helicopters to blast the target with rockets.

Now I am too. :allears:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

ElectricSheep posted:

Pierce drops a keg on the ground, stands on top of it, and starts singing 99 bottles of beer to provide an AOE damage resistance buff.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
So I just started replaying SR2, and I was curious if there was a mod or cheat that unlocked the fighting styles without having to beat the 6th mission for that specific gang. Anyone know?

Also, is there a way to use the Huge Muscles Module in Gentlemen of the Row and not have your Boss look super freakish? (I know, I know, that's part of the fun, but I just want him to be super cut)

Slowpoke Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 18, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Saints' Row: Tactics

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

How about Saints Row where you're taking over an city on an alien planet for absorption into the Saints Empire.

I want Space Marines that are literally WH40K Space Marines with the giant Johnny Gat mascot head on them.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I want Space Marines that are literally WH40K Space Marines with the giant Johnny Gat mascot head on them.

The Johnny Gat mascot head needs to be oversized too, so it's way too big for even the giant Space Marine bodies.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Any goons still playing this? I want to replay it in co-op and everything is better with goons, right?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm about to replay it on PC (though you're possibly done by now).

In other news, why is the music selection for SR2 so much better than the rest of the series?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

mastajake posted:

In other news, why is the music selection for SR2 so much better than the rest of the series?

My guess is because back in the day music licensing for video games wasn't as much of a thing, so it was overall cheaper.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

mastajake posted:

I didn't start it yet. Feel free to add me on steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xp67

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Heads up: On Wednesday, at the European Speedster Assembly that starts on Sunday, there's gonna be a Saints Row the Third speedrun. Schedule can be found here so you can see when it'll be in your time zone.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I kind of want a full length version of Saints of Rage. That was one of the best part of SR4 for me.

I am highly anticipating SR5.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

My guess is because back in the day music licensing for video games wasn't as much of a thing, so it was overall cheaper.
I always wondered who gets more of a benefit from licensing, the music/record publishers for having a promotional outlet, or the game for having some content to add to the verisimilitude of the in-game radio stations. (It used to be amusing in the first few GTAs where as far as I know they commissioned or even produced the music themselves.)

Anyway I did get into Crystal Castles because of SR2 so it had some effect.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Deadly Hume posted:

I always wondered who gets more of a benefit from licensing, the music/record publishers for having a promotional outlet, or the game for having some content to add to the verisimilitude of the in-game radio stations. (It used to be amusing in the first few GTAs where as far as I know they commissioned or even produced the music themselves.)

Anyway I did get into Crystal Castles because of SR2 so it had some effect.

I'd think it would depend on the music being licensed. Compare SRIV to GTAV; there's no way in hell that GTAV was anybody's introduction to any of their music (except maybe some of the 90s eurodance for the younger crowd), but having those 'big songs' worked for the game's realism since you can't escape from Rhiannah in the real world anyway.

SRIV on the other hand was more equal, probably with benefit to the music owners. There's no question that the music selection improved the experience, and having recognizable tracks helped with that, but once you stray from The Mix you start hearing music that you aren't likely to have heard. Not really 'underground' or undiscovered music, just stuff that might not have reached you otherwise. Even The Mix has that going for it in a way, with some definite classics that just don't get a lot of play in the real world.

Or maybe I'm just speaking from my seat in Australia, where 'a mix of hits' consists of AC/DC, INXS, Pink, and AC/DC again. Those were my experiences, at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I were to be honest Sleeping Dogs is the only open world game that had music I had never heard before that I actually really liked. As soon as you get out of GTA it seems music selections on the radios come down to whatever the music director has on his mp3 player that year.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

If I were to be honest Sleeping Dogs is the only open world game that had music I had never heard before that I actually really liked. As soon as you get out of GTA it seems music selections on the radios come down to whatever the music director has on his mp3 player that year.

I like some of the music in SR4, if only because there's songs like Drank and Beer that are just goofy as gently caress.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Flying around Steelport to just about anything on The Mix is glorious. The Classical station is also pretty awesome for it.

I still think the best soundtrack ever was Vice City, though. The radio stations just added so much to the ambiance.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The easy answer is probably because THQ didn't have the cash to bring in the musical hits at the time.

I fully expect SR5 to have a killer soundtrack and sing alongs though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The proper way to play SR4 is to put the Full Retard on its own playlist and start some poo poo in the middle of the city.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZptOs8Gu9k:nws:

^ co-op_in_saints_row_2.flv

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mastajake posted:

Why is the music selection for SR2 so much better than the rest of the series?
I feel like it's hard to judge SR4 since the on-foot radio means you hear a lot more repetition, and that's always going to bring down the experience. I do feel like SR2 has the best music though.

Kibayasu posted:

As soon as you get out of GTA it seems music selections on the radios come down to whatever the music director has on his mp3 player that year.
I can't remember where, but I saw/read something about this that was interesting talking about how difficult it is to pick songs for the popular music station in these sort of games since it's expected to be fairly close to contemporary with the game's release, but has to be chosen and licensed well in advance.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

I can't remember where, but I saw/read something about this that was interesting talking about how difficult it is to pick songs for the popular music station in these sort of games since it's expected to be fairly close to contemporary with the game's release, but has to be chosen and licensed well in advance.

That was actually from Volition when talking about SR4 in an interview! They had to make educated guesses as to what music would be popular in about eight month's time from the licensing.

They still did better than GTAV, who picked music that was horribly outdated when they picked the stuff. And proved that you really don't want to use a Rhiannah song, because she cranks stuff out so constantly that you're gonna inevitably date yourself.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
SR2 Krhyme loving ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjj4hk0pV4

:slick:

E:

Honestly the radio in SR2 was solid throughout, although the lack of talk radio was kinda sad. But generally speaking all the stations had something I liked, where as 3 and 4's radios were kinda ehhhh :shrug: 'Course I consider San Andreas to be peak video game radio so different strokes etc

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 26, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a good thing I Don't Want to Miss a Thing and The Touch are timeless classics.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's a little more complicated than that, even: it's really hard to tell when Saints Row IV happens, but if it's like the other three, something like 98% of it takes place in 2018.

On the other hand, when you consider the mess that pop radio is now, and how horribly it would be misinterpreted by invaders with an utterly alien mindset, you get a lot of leeway in your picks. Genre stations, of course, get even more latitude.

For those of you doing the math at home, that means the Playa in Saints Row [1] was at least in their mid-twenties (otherwise the Boss couldn't be elected President; see II.1p5 US Const.), and that Saints Row IV is the best mid-life crisis ever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds about right, since dialog implies the boss went to college, which we have never seen.

poo poo, there's a game they could do, Saints Row college years with retarded younger versions of everyone.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I always wanted to see Gat in prison, and just how he met Shaundi and Pierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Saints Row 2 really needed its gangsta bitch, yo!

The first 30 seconds of that song is pretty much seared into my brain.

• Locked thread