Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Shifting my DRZ, instead of a nice clean "click", I now get more of a "thunk" and I have to press harder (sometimes).

Coming up on 2500 km since last I changed the oil (rotella t6).

Is that what you mean when you say "notchy"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

needknees posted:

Sumo goons, if you are in the central Midwest and have been looking for a 690smc, look no further.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=49#post431871571

If you were too lazy to click here's the skinny. 2009 690smc with 5550mi. I'm the second owner. Newish tires, tons of spares/upgrades will be included (most of which is not installed). Also have a giant loop moto coyote saddlebag we can discuss.

Asking $6500. Located in central IA.

Buy my bike so I'm not tempted to pull my for sale ads!

Sold pending inspection/funds. Sorry guys :shobon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

Shifting my DRZ, instead of a nice clean "click", I now get more of a "thunk" and I have to press harder (sometimes).

Basically, it also manifests as not wanting to shift out of or into neutral easily

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Check your clutch cable slack as well.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

epalm posted:

This happened to me last week and my loving shifter had just loosened slightly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

Same amount of the same Motorex UnicornSpaff 10W60 through the same two oil screens and two cartridge filters.

The cases have changed slightly, I think. I saw some pictures of a newer one than mine and the drain/screen plugs were in slightly different places. I usually change mine at 2k, it gets notchy at 2.5-3k.

I think a lot more changed in the 690cc versions than just punching out and re-mapping.

Maybe the only thing that changed was the warranty :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Check your clutch cable slack as well.

This is the easiest, cheapest, and most likely to fix it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
This is probably the wrong thread but my XR400R has suddenly lost compression. I rode it at the track a few weeks back and it was running great. I will up to start it a couple weeks later and there's no / little compression in the kickstarter. :(

So far I've checked the valves and replaced the plug. Everything looked fine (intakes were loose, exhausts were basically OK).

My next check will be to check timing. Never removed a valve cover on an engine with rockers. Anything I should watch out for? The previous owner said it has a stage 3 hotcam so I'll look for that while I'm in there. I'll also pop in a Harbor Freight inspection camera thing through the spark plug hole to see if I can see anything.

I was just about to order some levers for it too!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

While we're on the subject of sumos and notchy shifting, my 2007 690SM with 13,300miles has become increasingly difficult to shift to the point today where I'm parking it until I figure out what the deal is. It got pretty bad a couple of weeks ago so I changed/bled the mineral oil, which seemed to help quite a bit. Unfortunately, it's gotten back to where it was if not worse. The reservoir is still full and the mineral oil has only mildly discolored. Oil was changed with Motul 10-60 1300 miles ago along with new filters, so it shouldn't be that.

It's worse going from 1st to 2nd - I have to give the shifter a strong jab with my boot and I can feel it fighting me, and it completes the shift with a loud clack. It's easier at 6000+RPM or with just the right amount of rev matching finesse. Higher gears/speeds are also respectively easier. Downshifting from 2nd to 1st it often wants to stick in neutral and I can feel the gears trying to shift through my boot (I really noticed this and got worried the other day when I rode it with regular shoes - my boots were numbing the issue) :ohdear:

What does that sound like? New clutch, or new master/slave cylinder?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sounds like slave cylinder to me. Or air in the lines.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Thanks. I bled it from the bottom as was suggested online, and kept going until I had entirely replaced all the old fluid so I don't think it's air.

New slave ordered. Hopefully that'll do it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bleed the banjoes, too.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So my 690 still isn't all I want it to be. It's been at the dealer twice and they've adjusted the AFR 4% fatter both times. Or so they say.

For fun I ordered a cable and downloaded TuneECU, just to read the maps from the bike and see how they look (not really with any intention to edit anything). Note that the following part is all from my limited understanding of the maps from internet based learning.

The first thing I notice, comparing it to a completely stock EVO 2 map is that there is no difference whatsoever on the FI map. And the throttle map is just a loving mess. Take a look.

Here's how the (performance mode) throttle map looks in the stock EVO 2 map (from the TuneECU homepage).

And here's how the same map from my bike looks.

I don't even know what the gently caress. Anyone who knows anyone that knows something about this?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you have the capability to connect it to a computer and manipulate the map, I'd recommend getting it on a dyno and having it tuned with a wideband O2 sensor.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress. Anyone who knows anyone that knows something about this?

My understanding was that the EPT map just maps your "requested" throttle position to the actual position of the throttle valve. My guess would be that is an attempt to smooth out the bike at low rpm. Whether or not that is a reasonable way to go about this I wouldn't know. I think the only way you'll get the EFI map right would be to do as Clutchpuck said and get it tuned on a dyno. You could also try doing what the "code orange" thread on advrider says to do but I haven't been brave enough to try that yet.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

It's been a while since I had my 690 (and I still miss it sometimes) but as has been said the throttle tables indicate the percentage of throttle opening for the percentage of twist. Basically at default they adjust out the throttle to tame some low speed jerkiness or something.

The stock 690SM maps are all sorts of tame compared to the SMC and from what i remember you should just adjust it to the EVO2 map, though there's some good reading to be done on ADV and SMJ about it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

While we're on the subject of sumos and notchy shifting, my 2007 690SM with 13,300miles has become increasingly difficult to shift....

Z3n posted:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Thanks. I bled it from the bottom as was suggested online, and kept going until I had entirely replaced all the old fluid so I don't think it's air.

New slave ordered. Hopefully that'll do it.

New slave arrived today, and I installed it along with a new Shorai battery to fix my lovely starting hesitation. Bike starts instantly now, and shifts smooth as butter. I took the old slave apart to see how it worked (still learning biek stuff) and it looks fine - all the rubber gaskets are whole etc. I took some photos to see if a more trained eye than mine can spot anything wrong with it. All I see is some mild wear in the cylinder in the last photo - is that enough to cause the issues I was having/introduce air into the line? Did I gently caress up the bleeding process the first time around, or was the slave actually bad?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So my 690 still isn't all I want it to be. It's been at the dealer twice and they've adjusted the AFR 4% fatter both times. Or so they say.

For fun I ordered a cable and downloaded TuneECU, just to read the maps from the bike and see how they look (not really with any intention to edit anything). Note that the following part is all from my limited understanding of the maps from internet based learning.

The first thing I notice, comparing it to a completely stock EVO 2 map is that there is no difference whatsoever on the FI map. And the throttle map is just a loving mess. Take a look.

Here's how the (performance mode) throttle map looks in the stock EVO 2 map (from the TuneECU homepage).

And here's how the same map from my bike looks.

Your map is tamed to make it easier and smoother to ride (read: throttle is much softer below 2300rpm) versus a 1:1 map on the EVO2 you posted. I'd personally copy the EVO2 throttle map over what you've got now and hit the download button. :v: Meh, it probably won't make much difference other than being annoying to ride around town.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Right, so I sold my Harley this evening because the Brap was calling and I just couldn't resist it (also I got more than I paid for the bike, even after dropping it). I'm eyeballing a few different DRZ's locally. One appears to have a full Yosh pipe, ProTaper bars, I *think* a manual cam-chain tensioner and about 4800 on the clock for $4200.

EDIT: Blah blah blah blah other stuff.

I pick up my 2008 DRZ400SM on Thursday. I test rode it down a dirt road, over curbs, on sidewalks, and straight into my heart.

Brap Brap.

Akion fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 16, 2014

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Thank you previous owner for gluing together my DRC Edge 2 tail light so that I can't put my 12 o clock labs controller in. You are rad.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Yerok posted:

Thank you previous owner for gluing together my DRC Edge 2 tail light so that I can't put my 12 o clock labs controller in. You are rad.

Acetone and or WD-40?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Found a new lens for $10, method of removal: 16" Estwing framing hammer.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Yerok posted:

Found a new lens for $10, method of removal: 16" Estwing framing hammer.

Where at? Mine's all cracked to hell and starting to fall apart.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Five dollars with 5-6 dollar shipping.

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=68

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so what I'm going to do (to begin with) is replace my bikes EPT performance map with the EVO 2 EPT performance map, and leave the other EPT maps in my bikes mapping alone for the moment. That way I can switch between them and feel the difference.

When replacing the EPT map you just have to do the throttle twist reset thingy right? Not the whole 15 minute idle reset thing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Power off, switch map, power back on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cycle Asylum › The SuperMotard Thread: Reboot your bike

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cycle Asylum › The SuperMotard Thread: Reboot your bike

This makes me want to keep running old tech bikes forever just to ensure there is no scope-creep from work to motorcycling.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

apatite posted:

This makes me want to keep running old tech bikes forever just to ensure there is no scope-creep from work to motorcycling.

No joke, for a while I was trying to figure out if I could compile LogStash on a Raspberry Pi so I could just leave a data logger in place on my bike and hit the web interface from my phone over wifi.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

apatite posted:

And here I am all pissed off with carbs....

Safety Dance posted:

No joke, for a while I was trying to figure out if I could compile LogStash on a Raspberry Pi so I could just leave a data logger in place on my bike and hit the web interface from my phone over wifi.
Also, I want this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

apatite posted:

Cycle Asylum › The SuperMotard Thread: Rejet your bike

Its so much easier to flash firmware than tune a lolburator, I'll say.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah tell that to the guys on their 20th map

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think I got up to like 5 on the Ulysses before I accepted that the shitbutt Jardine muffler pops a lot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Mine is trial by oil-slick. Do it wrong and it covers your boot in oil.

Why does Yamaha try so hard to be british.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I think I just ruined every non-supermoto motorcycle for myself, forever. I loving love this thing.

$4200. 2008 with 4800 miles. Has the 3x3 done, full Yosh pipe, Fender Eliminator w/edge light, ProTaper fat bars, and a few other little mods. Best money I've spent in a while, and so much more fun than my Harley was. Gonna either get BRAP or MOTARD as my vanity plate. My only concern is that the exhaust pops when decelerating, a lot. Is that normal?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's normal IMO. Don't get overly concerned with it if it's running well otherwise.

Also, if you plan on riding street 99% of the time ditch those tires for something like Pilot Powers. They're really cheap and they stick like crazy. Ditching heavy/bulky dual sport tires makes it a whole different bike. Going to a smaller front sprocket can wake it up as well depending on the current gearing.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

That's a drat good looking DRZ. I went straight from a Sportster to a 690, but I still kind of want a 400 someday so I can roll WOT 24/7 without owning myself.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Also, if you plan on riding street 99% of the time ditch those tires for something like Pilot Powers. They're really cheap and they stick like crazy. Ditching heavy/bulky dual sport tires makes it a whole different bike.

I put Pilot Powers on when I first got my supermoto, and they do rock on pavement. Call me a victim of YouTube stunt videos, but as I got comfortable with the bike I wanted to do more dumb poo poo on side roads/grassy medians/forest service fire roads/ur moms face. I did all those things, but it was always a ridiculously slippery, butthole-clenching experience. I recently replaced my rear with a Distanzia, and suddenly the bike is the wild multipurpose stupidmachine I was picturing all along.

Next paycheck buys the front too :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Akion posted:

Yeah. I think I just ruined every non-supermoto motorcycle for myself, forever. I loving love this thing.

$4200. 2008 with 4800 miles. Has the 3x3 done, full Yosh pipe, Fender Eliminator w/edge light, ProTaper fat bars, and a few other little mods. Best money I've spent in a while, and so much more fun than my Harley was. Gonna either get BRAP or MOTARD as my vanity plate. My only concern is that the exhaust pops when decelerating, a lot. Is that normal?

Once you put a full exhaust on, they pop and spit like crazy, there really isnt a way to tune around it, as the stock carb doesnt have a coast enrichener.

What I'm saying is why would you want the popping and burbling to go away :cmon:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Baller Witness Bro posted:

That's normal IMO. Don't get overly concerned with it if it's running well otherwise.

Also, if you plan on riding street 99% of the time ditch those tires for something like Pilot Powers. They're really cheap and they stick like crazy. Ditching heavy/bulky dual sport tires makes it a whole different bike. Going to a smaller front sprocket can wake it up as well depending on the current gearing.

Honestly, I bought this thing for maximum hoonage potential. I live in CO, so I wanted to have fun on the twisties, but still be able to check out cool dirt/gravel roads I pass by.

I may get a second, dirt setup later, but right now this is what I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Distanzias are a great all purpose tyre. I was really surprised by how sure footed they are on the road.

• Locked thread