Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

(paraphrased/names changed to protect the innocent)

A ticket came in:

Suzanne is watching Chinese music videos on her laptop and using the built in speakers. Please give her a pair of headphones if you have any in stock.

The follow up ticket:

Suzanne is singing along to the Chinese music videos.

VLC removed, YouTube blocked at firewall. Ticket closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sooo I have Dish at home and was successfully been able to use the Dish Anywhere app to watch TV at work. Anyone ever block this? I want to make sure no one else is doing this.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Riso posted:

Can you at least get your boss to decide the order and priorities?

The boss is a yes man/corporate pleaser, so no. That isn't gonna happen anytime soon. :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just check your firewall/proxy/dns logs and block the appropriate domains/ip's ?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Sooo I have Dish at home and was successfully been able to use the Dish Anywhere app to watch TV at work. Anyone ever block this? I want to make sure no one else is doing this.

Why?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

(paraphrased/names changed to protect the innocent)

A ticket came in:

Suzanne is watching Chinese music videos on her laptop and using the built in speakers. Please give her a pair of headphones if you have any in stock.

The follow up ticket:

Suzanne is singing along to the Chinese music videos.

*Ticket Closed* Email set to user, CC'd users boss stating that this is not an I.S. issue and that user needs to speak with their boss about their noisy co-worker.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

If everyone does it, it will slow down his stream.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

m.hache posted:

Linux left such a bitter taste in my mouth, but it wasn't anything to do with the product itself. It was the loving elitist assholes that it seemed to produce.

There was this guy in college that would always pipe up in how a Linux distro could do it, but it was cheaper and "superior" in every way. The kicker? We were learning how to support AD in a Windows 2003 Environment. Then when it came to our Linux class we had to build our own shell and he hosed his up so much it wouldn't boot.

Yeah, as a embedded Linux developer I have come to the conclusion that the people who are smug pricks when it comes to Linux don't understand it or use it in a seriously professional manner.

It's a loving tool, you don't get smug because you have a phillips screw driver and the other person has a flat head. You use the right tool for the job, if that tool is OSX or Windows or DOS or Linux it shouldn't matter what you use.

In conclusion: gently caress Elitest Linux nerds.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket came in.

So one user who we tested the new VDI image likes it, so now it has to be deployed to every single VDI session without anybody even watching over it, all within an afternoon. Not even any change management documentation either, though I'm desktop support so that isn't my problem and there's probably a good reason for it.

Of course a doctor who uses his heavily is the one who's VM is hung doing a recompose for 4 hours. Again, because nobody is watching the entire fleet recompose.

Also I'm sorry, but if you're nice to your patients but an rear end in a top hat to everyone else - you are not a nice person. Being nice only to people who pay you and those who are doing exactly what you want at the moment and gently caress everyone else does not a nice person make. At least when Dr. House does it he has some flair and style to it, he's not just someone throwing his toys out of the pram (unless Cuddy is involved and it's last season and the show has rock bottom).

I also find it amusing when people with very Indian names derisively say India, when speaking about our phone support.

Edit: Turns out just about every one of the VMs is toast at the moment. gg network guys. Too bad I had my phone on vibrate and didn't trigger my very apropos ringtone

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 18, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

skooma512 posted:

Edit: Turns out just about every one of the VMs is toast at the moment. gg network guys. Too bad I had my phone on vibrate and didn't trigger my very apropos ringtone

That's the same ring tone I use for pagerduty!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, as a embedded Linux developer I have come to the conclusion that the people who are smug pricks when it comes to Linux don't understand it or use it in a seriously professional manner.

It's a loving tool, you don't get smug because you have a phillips screw driver and the other person has a flat head. You use the right tool for the job, if that tool is OSX or Windows or DOS or Linux it shouldn't matter what you use.

I'd feel pretty smug if I don't have to deal with flatheads, they are such a pain and I've never found a single reason to use them over any other screwhead.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you have a correctly sized hollow ground screwdriver they're not as much of a hassle. :henget:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ratbert90 posted:

The way I handle it is that anyone who is smug about anything gets treated like a guy who's just discovered a new tool. I don't get excited about GPO's anymore, but I was loving over the moon when I worked them out the first time and was going on and on about how good they were.

I was over the moon when I learned how to script basic things in powershell and I still get a little giddy when I use it because I don't get to use it a lot. So to me, if you're still in that phase, you're only just learning how to use it and your opinion doesn't matter past telling me its features and making its case. If you're trying to look down on something else because you've found a brand new toy you can gently caress off until you've gotten over that stage, because I know first hand that as soon as people get a new toy, they want to use it for everything.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I wish more Linux developers were like you.

dogstile posted:

The way I handle it is that anyone who is smug about anything gets treated like a guy who's just discovered a new tool. I don't get excited about GPO's anymore, but I was loving over the moon when I worked them out the first time and was going on and on about how good they were.

You know, I would have thought that too but every once and a while I would post a topic on a certain tech forum and ask "What do you think about the new version of Exchange" or something along those lines and within 10 minutes there was always a fucker "Don't pay into Micro$ofts profit margin. Build *insert flavor of linux here* and do it all for free!"

Thanks fucker, I'm going to uproot my entire domain because you have some sort of personal vendetta against a product. Sure the products offered are amazing but when poo poo breaks I don't want to be putzing around with some software and having a Microsoft professional as a fallback is a nice safety net.

EDIT: With all that said I love seeing home hacks based in Linux so it is something to be excited about within reason. It's that small sect of linux nerds that think it's the answer to every solution that gets to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bandwidth concerns.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Bandwidth concerns.

Look at your firewall logs for your phones IP and see if you can nail down the servers it's communicating with. Then just block those DNS names in your firewall but leave your phone IP open for it.

Or just create a DMZ for your phone and connect it to that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm not trying to have mine work and everyone elses blocked. I did it on my phone as a test, I want to block it for everyone. I'll run through logs and try to find out which servers it communicates with.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

m.hache posted:

I wish more Linux developers were like you.

You know, I would have thought that too but every once and a while I would post a topic on a certain tech forum and ask "What do you think about the new version of Exchange" or something along those lines and within 10 minutes there was always a fucker "Don't pay into Micro$ofts profit margin. Build *insert flavor of linux here* and do it all for free!"

Thanks fucker, I'm going to uproot my entire domain because you have some sort of personal vendetta against a product. Sure the products offered are amazing but when poo poo breaks I don't want to be putzing around with some software and having a Microsoft professional as a fallback is a nice safety net.

EDIT: With all that said I love seeing home hacks based in Linux so it is something to be excited about within reason. It's that small sect of linux nerds that think it's the answer to every solution that gets to me.

About 7 years ago, at my first job writing web based testing stuff, all of our clients were using MSIE6. ALL of them. I was trying to solve an issue where things worked in Firefox and Opera but not MSIE (I did the Firefox and Opera compatibility to stay sane debugging). I figured "I know, the neckbeards on Freenode are knowledgeable, I'll ask on irc! Her neckbeards, how do I bleep deep feep?" Their advice was "Don't support IE, have all of your fortune 500 big pharma clients switch to Firefox!" When I pointed out that this was impossible, the response was "well drop them as clients then!" And when I balked at this, I was naturally banned.

Good to know I was the only one in there not doing development working for The Bank Of Mom, and my paycheck was in USD, not free rent and cheetos. It still make me annoyed to remember.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Billy the Mountain posted:

So, Dell.

You are a week late in providing 24 hour support Warranty service to replace a CPU fan for an Optiplex.

Because, and let me make sure I have this right, there is a World wide SHORTAGE OF RUBBER GROMLETS?
OK, fine...when is the expected delivery date for Gromlets?

Aug 8.

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

As a former Client support agent, I feel you because honestly it was frustrating for me as well. From experience, it's usually Dell itself waiting on parts as well as Dell doesn't do any hardware manufacturing (at least to my knowledge).

And by the way: :ssh: if you read your warranty these sort of things are built in :ssh:

EDIT: SALRx decided to stop actually copying quotes for some reason

While we're on Linux chat: oh I knew people that were that way that got me into trying out Linux.
I'm currently at the point of at home Dual booting, although I'm mostly in Linux because most of what I want to do works great in Linux (including Steam).
But working with Linux in a professional environment as well makes it painfully obvious it's not a "replacement" as much as having the right tool. A lot of third party engineering software is designed for Windows only (which I thankfully never have to deal with directly).

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 18, 2014

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

quote:

While we're on Linux chat: oh I knew people that were that way that got me into trying out Linux.
I'm currently at the point of at home Dual booting, although I'm mostly in Linux because most of what I want to do works great in Linux (including Steam).
But working with Linux in a professional environment as well makes it painfully obvious it's not a "replacement" as much as having the right tool. A lot of third party engineering software is designed for Windows only (which I thankfully never have to deal with directly).

I wish I could say the same. vSphere client still not having a *nix/Mac version that can actually pull up a console forces me to have a Windows machine for most of what I do. And to get even basic functionality out of it requires a lot of fuckery in Wine. You can get a lot of mileage out of the command line tools but some stuff you just need a console for.

You'd think the product whose hypervisor is built on the linux kernel would have support for linux clients, but no.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Bandwidth concerns.

Maybe you need more bandwidth if a tv show is enough to cause concern?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mrit posted:

Maybe you need more bandwidth if a tv show is enough to cause concern?

Sometimes more bandwidth is not an option. Also if you have 100+ people streaming a TV show it can throttle a network.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We definitely need more bandwidth but I have been told to do what I can to block streaming until more bandwidth is budgeted.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I can't access my email from my phone or outlook. It works from OWA. Nothing changed on my end since yesterday, it's not a password issue because mine is set to never expire (a glitch bc I had a special snowflake enrollment/class registration). My boss insists it's an issue on my side and refuses to do anything. Any suggestions?

In other news, my vacation starts in thee hours. I'm pumped.

E: error 0x8004011D in outlook 2010
EE: Autodiscover test failed for a whole bunch of reasons
EEE: It's a server problem and will be fixed soon :)

Hoshi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 18, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Nobody came in all day. So after lunch I cleaned my desk and went on my 4 weeks of vacation!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had the weirdest thing pop up this week. One of our techs came up to show me some video of a users laptop picking up radio stations and playing them through the laptop speakers. I didn't believe him at first, figured it was something running in the background or something until I saw it myself first hand. It would change stations too depending on where she was. Dell came in and swapped out the motherboard and wifi card. Haven't heard back yet to see if that ended up fixing it or not.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Just about any lovely pair of $10 computer speakers will do that given the right conditions.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The lovely guitar amps at our youth rec center would regularly pick up Polish short-wave stations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sickening posted:

I want to be surprised but his attitude is basically a clone of every software engineer I have ever worked with.

As a software engineer, not having local admin rights means I quit. In return, if I have to go to IT for any reason other than to get licenses or hardware, you may fire me.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I wish I could say the same. vSphere client still not having a *nix/Mac version that can actually pull up a console forces me to have a Windows machine for most of what I do. And to get even basic functionality out of it requires a lot of fuckery in Wine. You can get a lot of mileage out of the command line tools but some stuff you just need a console for.

You'd think the product whose hypervisor is built on the linux kernel would have support for linux clients, but no.

VMkernel isn't built on Linux, and that's the important part of it.

It used to boot RHEL as the management console (ESX), and now it boots Busybox as the management console (ESXi), but it's firmly not "built on the Linux kernel". They could just as easily move the management console to QNX, OpenBSD, or Darwin next week.

The libvirt bindings to vSphere are actually reasonably good if you just need a console, but yeah, there aren't any replacements for it on Linux/OSX other than just virtualizing Windows to get access to the client.

baquerd posted:

As a software engineer, not having local admin rights means I quit. In return, if I have to go to IT for any reason other than to get licenses or hardware, you may fire me.

Real talk: developers almost never need local admin. It may make your job easier, but there's a big middle ground where having some rights but not others is just as good as having local admin without putting you totally outside the policies that control the rest of the environment, unless you're literally developing drivers or something else which needs Ring 0.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

evol262 posted:

Real talk: developers almost never need local admin. It may make your job easier, but there's a big middle ground where having some rights but not others is just as good as having local admin without putting you totally outside the policies that control the rest of the environment, unless you're literally developing drivers or something else which needs Ring 0.

That's true, and I understand there's a corporate liability type issue thing going on, but I like to live on the edge and having the ability to delete my virus scanner and live backup software is a thrill.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Me: hey I moved ticket #xyz into your queue, it looks like program is crashing Internet explorer when using the email feature when Symantec is installed. Removing Symantec fixes it but I had to put it back on due to our av policy.
Programs queue manager: no it is a random crash with Symantec affecting ie we do not fix this.
Me: a random crash that's repeatable and only occurs when using your system?
Him: yes

:cripes:
He told me to close the ticket if I couldn't fix it so I copied the chat into the ticket and did. In sure someone will get mad about it at me on Monday.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
May I say that having worked for two months now, I feel like I've never had a real reason to drink before. This job inspired me to buy a glass boot.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Great Beer posted:

Me: hey I moved ticket #xyz into your queue, it looks like program is crashing Internet explorer when using the email feature when Symantec is installed. Removing Symantec fixes it but I had to put it back on due to our av policy.
Programs queue manager: no it is a random crash with Symantec affecting ie we do not fix this.
Me: a random crash that's repeatable and only occurs when using your system?
Him: yes

:cripes:
He told me to close the ticket if I couldn't fix it so I copied the chat into the ticket and did. In sure someone will get mad about it at me on Monday.

THIS IS ENTRAPMENT!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Godsped posted:

May I say that having worked for two months now, I feel like I've never had a real reason to drink before. This job inspired me to buy a glass boot.

Make your users buy you beer.

I think I'm about to print this out and stick it on the front of my cubicle and see if anyone bites.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

baquerd posted:

Well... bye...

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sirotan posted:

Make your users buy you beer.

I think I'm about to print this out and stick it on the front of my cubicle and see if anyone bites.

I strongly object to the assertion in that poster that sysadmins would fix some's computer :argh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jre posted:

I strongly object to the assertion in that poster that sysadmins would fix some's computer :argh:
Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed too. You should buy your sysadmin a beer, but you should also buy a beer for the person who fixes your computer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

jre posted:

I am an (almost solo) sysadmin and I fix people's computers. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Had the weirdest thing pop up this week. One of our techs came up to show me some video of a users laptop picking up radio stations and playing them through the laptop speakers. I didn't believe him at first, figured it was something running in the background or something until I saw it myself first hand. It would change stations too depending on where she was. Dell came in and swapped out the motherboard and wifi card. Haven't heard back yet to see if that ended up fixing it or not.

Unshielded wiring is the same thing as an antenna. The only question is if it's hooked up to something that will let it produce noise at an audible level. I used to do tech-support for Verizon FiOS, and one of the models of boxes they put in at customers houses had unshielded wiring. We had a known issue where these customers would pick up their phone and hear the radio on it until they started dialing. If they reported that, we had to send a tech out to put some type of shielding in the box to block the radio signal.

• Locked thread