Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

enri posted:

I never get tired of seeing your terrain, it's awesome :allears:

Thanks! I should take the time some day to do a proper photo album of the village, but the boards are a little bit dinged up right now after moving them to another club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So how many times a day do you run mini reenactments of Seven Samurai and 13 Assassins?

Edit: quoting it again for this page because it's so awesome

lilljonas posted:

I used old discarded bath towels for my thatched roofs earlier. There are probably materials that look even better, and you could do it with some kind of clay, but bath towels are cheap (practically free from second hand shops) and easy. The trick to make it look decent is to make sure to cut the cloth so that the fibers naturally point downwards, douse it in watered down PVA, and kind of comb it downwards.

This village had their roofs made with bath towels:

Adding some details, such as the various wooden support structures on top of these roofs, helps a bit to make it less obvious that it's towels.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ineptmule posted:

So how many times a day do you run mini reenactments of Seven Samurai and 13 Assassins?

Edit: quoting it again for this page because it's so awesome

Only twice in two years.
:negative:

One thing I learned from this project was to be more careful about hills. See those hills that take up almost 20% of the board?

Impossible to balance a metal miniature on most of the area they cover. Which makes them almost completely useless: you can't really have bandits attacking from that side, as they'll just keep on fall over when you deploy. It would have been far better to make the hills with deployment in mind, for example through adding lots of small areas that are not as sloped. Maybe making 2-3 mountain pass style trails, some kind of stone stairs, anything. As it stands now, it really makes the board less useful.

For our current board project we are making the board pieces half as small (24x24 inches compared to 48x24 on these), and we plan to initially make hills that are not attached to the boards. Later on we might add squares with integrated hills, but the "basic" board won't have them.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 17, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Did you fill the river with clear resin? and yea, hills are a pain in the arse. Finding the balance between 'looks good' and 'is actually playable on' is a nightmare. I'll always go down the old GW route of creating large steps, they look crap but they do the job :(

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

enri posted:

Did you fill the river with clear resin? and yea, hills are a pain in the arse. Finding the balance between 'looks good' and 'is actually playable on' is a nightmare. I'll always go down the old GW route of creating large steps, they look crap but they do the job :(

Yes, we tried both Woodland Scenics water for the rice fields (which was not an epoxy) and Envirotex resin for the canal(canal, which was). We were much happier with the Envirotex resin. There was a bit of bubbles though, I am not sure if it was because of carelessness or newbie mistake. The good thing with clear resin is that we could have just poured more layers if we were not super pressed for time due to a convention deadline. The resin should be poured in several layers, as there can be problems with the curing if you make too thick layers. We only had time for two thin layers.

Crappy pic:

Prior to pouring:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 17, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Absolutely beautiful. I love pre-sculpted boards, unfortunately living in an apartment makes owning any too impractical.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Gorgeous board, Iilljonas! The buildings are great!

lilljonas posted:

We were much happier with the Envirotex resin. There was a bit of bubbles though, I am not sure if it was because of carelessness or newbie mistake.

Try either blowing over it as it dries, or quickly running a torch over the surface after it's poured. Fire is more effective, though You'd have to take care not to melt any nearby foam. Supposedly it's not the heat (I've tried a hair dryer and it doesn't work), but rather the carbon dioxide that gets rid of the bubbles.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
After much deliberation I've decided to go ahead and get a hot wire foam cutter because I really hate suing a knife to cut foam. Are there any particular brands I should avoid or does anyone have a good recommendation for one?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Unzip and Attack posted:

After much deliberation I've decided to go ahead and get a hot wire foam cutter because I really hate suing a knife to cut foam. Are there any particular brands I should avoid or does anyone have a good recommendation for one?

I have a Hot Wire Foam Factory one that I never use but when I did use it it worked really well.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

signalnoise posted:

I have a Hot Wire Foam Factory one that I never use but when I did use it it worked really well.

If you don't use it would you be interested in selling? :nsa:

Germ
May 7, 2013

Hot Wire Foam Factory can get pricey, but they're great. Cheap hot foam cutters (like the little stick ones sold at many craft stores) are pretty much garbage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

If you don't use it would you be interested in selling? :nsa:

Sure

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/K16_Craft_2in1_Sculpt_hotKnifeKit.html

60 bucks shipped within the 48 if you're interested

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
It's pretty simple to make a hot wire cutter, then you can modify it pretty easily too.

Germ
May 7, 2013

It's alive! It's ALIVE!!!

Just a heads up that the Kickstarter for my resin gaming terrain is live! Based on some feedback, I changed the earlybird all-ins to go from fewer at a steeper discount, to more at a lesser discount. Hopefully everything else makes sense!

Thanks again for everyone’s encouragement and suggestions throughout this process. While I hope you consider backing it, I also hope that, even if you don’t, you help spread the word. I’ll be posting in the forums that I frequent, but I’m generally of the mind that outsiders shouldn’t make accounts in forums they don’t typically frequent in order to sell their wares. However, if there’s a forum that you frequent where the members might be interested, please feel free to spread the word!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

It's pretty simple to make a hot wire cutter, then you can modify it pretty easily too.

The cool part isn't actually the forked sculptor tool, it's the wire knife. That thing is awesome.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Germ posted:

Just a heads up that the Kickstarter for my resin gaming terrain is live! Based on some feedback, I changed the earlybird all-ins to go from fewer at a steeper discount, to more at a lesser discount. Hopefully everything else makes sense!

Thanks again for everyone’s encouragement and suggestions throughout this process. While I hope you consider backing it, I also hope that, even if you don’t, you help spread the word. I’ll be posting in the forums that I frequent, but I’m generally of the mind that outsiders shouldn’t make accounts in forums they don’t typically frequent in order to sell their wares. However, if there’s a forum that you frequent where the members might be interested, please feel free to spread the word!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

Nice layout, modest goal, good job. I wonder how fast it will fund?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Germ posted:

I've already pointed this at my local gaming club, and I'll be trying to spread the word to others as well.

Also, why not post it in the Miniature/40k threads as well?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Thanks! I will be shamelessly cross-posting to other threads in TG, but first I promised my kids I'd make them waffles for breakfast. Wanted to post it here first, though, given the constant source of inspiration and ideas this thread has been for me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I suppose I should link this in here. I'm making sort of terrain modules out of the Mantic Battlezone terrain.

This is a catwalk that stands up pretty well I think. Anyone with other ideas to make complex structures that break down into components, please share. There's some talk of magnetizing in the Mantic thread too, I may do that.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

I wonder how fast it will fund?

:dance: 57 minutes. The answer to this question is 57 minutes. :dance:

Wasn't quite expecting that, but that's pretty awesome!

This makes me REALLY interested in the Mantic stuff. The ability to create inexpensive, good-looking platforms really changes a miniature game. Going from 2 dimensions to 3 is what made Necromunda so rad, and does wonders to any skirmish game. Do you have a parts list or instructions on how you did this?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Germ posted:

This makes me REALLY interested in the Mantic stuff. The ability to create inexpensive, good-looking platforms really changes a miniature game. Going from 2 dimensions to 3 is what made Necromunda so rad, and does wonders to any skirmish game. Do you have a parts list or instructions on how you did this?

4 buttress supports, 2 floor supports, 2 pieces of scatter terrain, 2 half-height flats, 2 full-height flats, and connectors. The Battlezone stuff is really, really good for the price. That piece is about one sprue worth of terrain, but you don't get all the pieces you need on a single sprue. So buy a lot and make tons of stuff!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Germ posted:

Now comes the terror of being a victim of your own success as you get flooded with backers requiring you to make hundreds of pieces :cheeky:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Indolent Bastard posted:

Now comes the terror of being a victim of your own success as you get flooded with backers requiring you to make hundreds of pieces :cheeky:

Followed immediately by GW releasing 8th edition, removing all terrain from the game.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Germ posted:

Already funded, ha!

So no way to fix that shipping rate for Canadian orders though? It's just too much which sucks because I want in...

Germ
May 7, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hundreds of casts I can handle. Not planning stretch goals may disappoint some, but then I can really just focus on molding and casting what I've got.

Fix posted:

Followed immediately by GW releasing 8th edition, removing all terrain from the game.

Bastard!

TKIY posted:

So no way to fix that shipping rate for Canadian orders though? It's just too much which sucks because I want in...

Check the project FAQ! If it won't let you pledge and I need to create separate pledge levels for Canadians, just let me know.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Germ posted:

Check the project FAQ! If it won't let you pledge and I need to create separate pledge levels for Canadians, just let me know.

Oooo... Looking now.

edit: Okay, thank you Germ! Going to throw this out to my group and see who wants in. Cheers!

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 18, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Germ posted:

Hot drat, good on you!

I already got one or two people interested locally. One guy wants to see if people can throw down for the $100 mark for free shipping, so I think that'll pile up quickly enough. There's a lot of terrain at the store we meet up at but a lot of it is...er, not in great condition. Especially the trees.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Germ posted:

I don't wargame, but I really dig the exchangability of the bits in your pieces, so I threw down for a small pledge. I may supplement later. :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Crossposting from the Mantic thread

I decided I don't really care about using doors for buildings right now because I am not going to gently caress with removable ceilings. So I made a border guard security checkpoint.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Also, if anyone is interested in buying some Hirst Arts molds, let me know. I'm not going to flood the page with a huge image so here's a link. Nevermind the bubbles, that's water from having just been washed.

http://signalnoise.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/P7190307-2.jpg

I never use these because I'm into Deadzone terrain now, and I bought these for Warmachine. They did the job. If you want I can dig up the model numbers but you should be able to figure out what they are by looking at them. PM me or email to thomas (at) signalnoise dot net if you're interested. They go for 34 bucks apiece new, I'll kick em out for 22.50 each + shipping from 30047.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 19, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

signalnoise posted:

Also, if anyone is interested in buying some Hirst Arts molds, let me know. I'm not going to flood the page with a huge image so here's a link. Nevermind the bubbles, that's water from having just been washed.

http://signalnoise.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/P7190307.jpg

I never use these because I'm into Deadzone terrain now, and I bought these for Warmachine. They did the job. If you want I can dig up the model numbers but you should be able to figure out what they are by looking at them. PM me or email to thomas (at) signalnoise dot net if you're interested. They go for 34 bucks apiece new, I'll kick em out for 22.50 each + shipping from 30047.

I'm interested in one of the inn ones (the one with the visible door) at a minimum, possibly more. Let me know which molds they are if you wouldn't mind? :shobon:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sure, check the link again, I've updated it with names

http://signalnoise.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/P7190307-2.jpg

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 19, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

signalnoise posted:

Sure, check the link again, I've updated it with names

http://signalnoise.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/P7190307.jpg

Cool, could I do:

Machinery Builder Mold #327
Pipe Mold 5/8" - Mold #320
Inn Building Accessories Mold #57
Common Inn Accessories Mold #58

Mostly putting it here for reference, I'll email you as well. :D

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

drat, that's the same four I'd take, too. Well, if Iris of Ether falls through, dibs on those same four molds. :)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bad Munki posted:

drat, that's the same four I'd take, too. Well, if Iris of Ether falls through, dibs on those same four molds. :)

Actually, if we want to spread the love around, I've only really got immediate plans for #57 and #58. I'd rearrange my request to be

Inn Building Accessories Mold #57
Common Inn Accessories Mold #58
and Basic Block Mold #40

instead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I don't want to steal them from you, first come first serve is fair and all, I just wanted to be first on the backup.

But if you really don't care, yeah, I'll take 'em. :)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bad Munki posted:

Well, I don't want to steal them from you, first come first serve is fair and all, I just wanted to be first on the backup.

But if you really don't care, yeah, I'll take 'em. :)

Yup, they'd just be a 'nice to have' rather than 'I have immediate plans on using', so go ahead. :D

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
The basic block mold is ridiculously useful for random buildings, though it does take a few casts to get enough blocks.

On that note, I've gone through about 30 pounds of powdered plaster so far. Figure I should build something at some point, but I'd like to get enough built to get at least a quarter of my board. Sketchup is pretty useful for board planning.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just sent my paypal info to confirm, and also I think I'm going to grab #53 as well. Cheers! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Hedningen posted:

The basic block mold is ridiculously useful for random buildings, though it does take a few casts to get enough blocks.

Yeah, I just had the Gothic Dungeon Builder #45 for that style of block before, so it took awhile to get anything substantial going. This'll be a nice addition.