Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Nobody said these guys were smart about having a method or anything, but a complete set of materia is a hell of a lot easier to amass than max XP or max gil considering gil counts out to like nine places :v:

Max gil is incredibly easy to get if you're already mastering materia though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I'm an hour into FFX-2 HD, and Rikku is throwing flaming goldfish at enemies, while Brother is a monster who makes everyone go berserk and then dances and smashes enemies with his butt.

This game already owns.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

They can go gently caress themselves forever for not releasing Type-O on the game-starved PS Vita and THEN pulling this poo poo.

They released a huge number of the PSP's best exclusives, but besides FFX/X-2, I don't think they've made anything for the Vita. Instead, the Dragon Quest VIII HD release goes to phones and tablets.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Apparently it wasn't a C&D but something worse. Might have been a court order with the intention to sue if its worse than a cease and desist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that it was really dumb to hear that a company is about to announce an official translation of something and your response is "poo poo, I gotta rush this out first" Most fansubbers/fan translations will generally drop a project when it gets officially licensed specifically to avoid legal issues and bad will from the IP holders.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They had been working on it for years so when they heard all their work could go poof the second SE announces an official translation they put in over time to finish up ahead of schedule. Sunk-cost and all that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

They had been working on it for years so when they heard all their work could go poof the second SE announces an official translation they put in over time to finish up ahead of schedule. Sunk-cost and all that.

Yeah, and it sucks for them, but they are not the first group this is happened to and they won't be the last. Fansubs and fan translations generally exist in a grey area where nobody involved really wants it to be a 'thing' and so everyone tries to avoid ruffling feathers. Rushing it out and being antagonistic towards the company is like the dumbest thing you can do short of trying to charge for it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that it was really dumb to hear that a company is about to announce an official translation of something and your response is "poo poo, I gotta rush this out first" Most fansubbers/fan translations will generally drop a project when it gets officially licensed specifically to avoid legal issues and bad will from the IP holders.

Bur otherwise all their work would have gone to waste. I'm not sure what more polish the translation patch needed, but this is pretty much the best case scenario for fans, if not for SE. Having two translations is good too, since I've heard that the fan translation of Dangan Ronpa is in some ways better than the official one. We also get to try out two different versions of the game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That, and as much as it might suck, SE is well within their rights, especially for a title that will be actively available. Even if it's not on the system people want it to be on.

I read some of the comments elsewhere, and people are not helping their case by pitching fits like entitled babies, which is pretty much all I've seen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Bur otherwise all their work would have gone to waste. I'm not sure what more polish the translation patch needed, but this is pretty much the best case scenario for fans, if not for SE. Having two translations is good too, since I've heard that the fan translation of Dangan Ronpa is in some ways better than the official one. We also get to try out two different versions of the game.

The fan translation of Danganronpa is pretty bad and largely gets a pass because it is "tumblr-born."

The Type-0 translation seems fine, I'm not knocking it, but "all their work would have gone to waste" is a well-documented side effect of working on fan translations for an IP they don't own and something most fan translators recognize. I don't blame them for being disappointed or upset but being antagonistic towards the company is dumb.

The best way to handle it would either have been to can the release and express excitement for it or to pull all links and put out a strongly-worded statement saying "we're removing these because the game has been officially announced for release, please buy it and support Square-Enix" while being personally aware that torrents and the internet means the fan translation is still out there and won't be vanishing anytime soon.

It looks especially bad because prior to the announcement Sky said "no, no, an official translation is good. It's what we want! If that happens our objective is met," which is pretty contradicted by the rush to get the translation out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 19, 2014

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I don't think anything will come of this, Sky the main guy for this translation is from Spain and Spaniards just don't care about this kind of thing, so long as you aren't getting money out of it. SE here is just using scare tactics.

quote:

Legal issues

Modding may sometimes infringe the legal rights of the copyright owner. Some nations have laws prohibiting modding and accuse modders of attempting to overcome copy protection schemes. In the United States, the DMCA has set up stiff penalties for mods that violate the rights of intellectual property owners. In the European Union, member states have agreed the EU Copyright Directive and are transposing it into national law. A man was convicted in the United Kingdom in July 2005 for selling a modded Xbox with built in software and games. However it is also worthy of note that some other European countries have not interpreted the legal issues in the same way. In Italy a judge threw out a Sony case saying it was up to owners of a console what they did with it. Similarly in Spain, mod chips are seen as legal despite the EU copyright legislation. Modding may be an unauthorized change made to a software or hardware to a platform in gaming. Case mods are modifications to a device with the altering of certain styles. For example, people who mod a Microsoft Xbox 360 can alter the led lights on the controller to glow different colors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modding#Legal_issues

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm conflicted because on one hand SE are within their right to do this but on the other hand I've grown really bitter and spiteful towards SE for forcing an awful character like Lightning for an entire console generation on the fanbase and not bothering to localize games like Dragon Quest 7, as well as releasing Type 0 HD on PS4 at $70.

Kind of hard not to be a bit annoyed after that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm conflicted because on one hand SE are within their right to do this but on the other hand I've grown really bitter and spiteful towards SE for forcing an awful character like Lightning for an entire console generation on the fanbase and not bothering to localize games like Dragon Quest 7, as well as releasing Type 0 HD on PS4 at $70.

Growing bitter and spiteful towards a video game company and continuing to want their products is really silly. If you dislike the company than stop supporting them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 19, 2014

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lighting is actually really cool and popular as hell in Japan so pushing her is one of the smarter things SE has done recently. You don't have to like her but pretending to be speaking for The Fanbase by calling her awful and forced is kinda silly.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I really wouldn't count out DQVII yet anyway. That is a game with A LOT of text to translate, and then make sure the translation doesn't break the game. It's still entirely possible it's in the works and just not been announced yet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Its really just Dragon Quest at this point which interests me. Was never a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and nothing about FF XV really interests me so far, on top if having rather low expectations because of the Lightning trilogy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

"tumblr-born."

The worst Skyrim mod.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, and it sucks for them, but they are not the first group this is happened to and they won't be the last. Fansubs and fan translations generally exist in a grey area where nobody involved really wants it to be a 'thing' and so everyone tries to avoid ruffling feathers. Rushing it out and being antagonistic towards the company is like the dumbest thing you can do short of trying to charge for it.

Also, according to some people in the Neogaf thread (which is otherwise mostly dumb outrage, refusing to buy the game, etc.) the translation patch included a bunch of the original game content such as FMVs with hardcoded subtitles. Not exactly the best way to keep the lawyers off your asses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Killing Vector posted:

Also, according to some people in the Neogaf thread (which is otherwise mostly dumb outrage, refusing to buy the game, etc.) the translation patch included a bunch of the original game content such as FMVs with hardcoded subtitles. Not exactly the best way to keep the lawyers off your asses.

It did. It was the only way for them to actually subtitle the FMVs and why the patch is like 1.5 gigs in size.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Square-Enix did those things specifically to annoy you, as opposed to, you know, to try and make money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but they had already been working on it for a couple years. The project was like 99% finished, and up until that point there was zero reason to believe Type-0 would ever come out in English.

And besides, Square-Enix is remastering Type-0 for the PlayStation 4. This translation is only the PSP version in english, nothing else is changed. S-E is releasing a significantly superior version of the game for people to buy. The translation is going to only be relevant to a very tiny niche set of people who have been wanting to play this game for a long time now but didn't want to deal with the Japanese language.

For what it's worth, Type-0 ended up not even being a good game. I don't understand why this is getting a translation when they could have easily remastered FFXII instead.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 19, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah but they had already been working on it for a couple years. The project was like 99% finished, and up until that point there was zero reason to believe Type-0 would ever come out in English.

There are fansubbers and fan translators who have pulled down work that is already finished and released. On this forum the Game Center CX subbers pulled everything that Kotaku or the official DVD release had for example. It really does suck that they put work into something that got a release announcement but their response to it isn't very good.

There were rumors about a FF Type-0 release for years. In fact Sky even commented on it and said that if it happened they'd be delighted to hear it because their goal was just to get an English version of Type-0 out.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

For what it's worth, Type-0 ended up not even being a good game. I don't understand why this is getting a translation when they could have easily remastered FFXII instead.

You mean FFIX. :colbert:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You mean FFVII.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You mean a fully remastered 3D FF1 guest-staring Dante from Devil May Cry.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Flytrap posted:

You mean a fully remastered 3D FF1 guest-staring Dante from Devil May Cry.
Final Fantasy 1 starring Classic Dante, Bayonetta, Raiden and maybe Kratos.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The other two characters can be Viewtiful Joe and Wonder Red.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gologle posted:

The other two characters can be Viewtiful Joe and Wonder Red.
I was thinking more that there would only be 4 characters but all of them would have 6 funny outfits depending on class.

Especially Kratos. Red Mage Kratos.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wait, back the gently caress up. What is this about Type-0, a loving PSP game, being $70!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, back the gently caress up. What is this about Type-0, a loving PSP game, being $70!?

Type-0 HD (not the PSP version) is going to be full priced when released.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

$60 is still pretty drat steep for an HD port...

vvv Fair enough, I suppose.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 19, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

$60 is still pretty drat steep for an HD port...

They're treating it as a game that has never gotten a US release for and thus one they need to do voice acting and full translation for. Most HD ports already have that stuff done.

Edit: I'm not saying I agree with it but the necessity of casting voice actors and doing a full translation does raise the cost compared to most HD ports which only have minimal new content in that regards.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 19, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

They're treating it as a game that has never gotten a US release for and thus one they need to do voice acting and full translation for. Most HD ports already have that stuff done.

Edit: I'm not saying I agree with it but the necessity of casting voice actors and doing a full translation does raise the cost compared to most HD ports which only have minimal new content in that regards.

Agreed. I paid $40 for the Zone of the Enders HD port and thought it was fair. Adding new voice acting in a different language can't be cheap, especially if you want any quality.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Square-Enix did those things specifically to annoy you, as opposed to, you know, to try and make money.

Yeah but Lightning Returns sold like poo poo and the game SE didn't want to bring over and it was left for Nintendo to do so, Bravely Default, sold very well so it's not like Square Enix are very good at trying to make money lately either. Then there's the unrealistic expectations of Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider that they'd sell CoD levels and were written off as a financial loss despite having respectable sales numbers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think a lot of people would accept it more if it was an HD collection. Final Fantasy 0, 1 and 2? Now that's like 20 dollars a game and on par with most HD collections.

Remember they're still pushing for type 0 to be on Vita. It could still happen.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but Lightning Returns sold like poo poo and the game SE didn't want to bring over and it was left for Nintendo to do so, Bravely Default, sold very well so it's not like Square Enix are very good at trying to make money lately either. Then there's the unrealistic expectations of Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider that they'd sell CoD levels and were written off as a financial loss despite having respectable sales numbers.

Except neither Sleeping Dogs or Tomb Raider really got written off, considering they both have sequels in the works? Not that your main point isn't reasonably correct.

Nihilarian posted:

Especially Kratos. Red Mage Kratos.

Looks exactly like normal Kratos, except with a jaunty hat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

Plus the one screenshot they've actually put out makes it look like the assets are getting significantly more work than a simple upres. It looked really good. But, yeah, who knows if that was an in-engine shot or a 'this is what we're working towards' generated image.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Growing bitter and spiteful towards a video game company and continuing to want their products is really silly. If you dislike the company than stop supporting them.

I mean, I agree that it's not a big deal at the end of the day because video games but I can see what he's trying to say. They used to be really good and make quality games- in fact, some of the best games out there- but now they're shooting for the least common denominator due to consistently misinterpreting what their fans want. For example, their focus on mobile iOS games comes from a gross (and common) misreading of the gaming industry, which is the assumption that "gamers" now prefer gaming on their cell phones. This isn't true because often those who play games on their phones aren't really gamers in the first place but people looking to kill time while on the train to work or outside of class or something. It just looks that way since so many people have cell phones, many more than do game consoles. Most of those people probably don't even know what Dragon Quest is.

Is it making them money? Probably. Is it what their fans- what the average "Final Fantasy" geek wants? No, totally not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If it makes Square-Enix money then that is the direction they will go. I of course don't support that, Square-Enix's bottom line doesn't benefit me in any way, but they are going to go where they think the money is. In a perfect world that means Square-Enix makes only really smart decisions about how to best make a profit, but as we have seen time and time again for the last 5 - 7 years now, their decision making has been terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Mog posted:

Is it making them money? Probably. Is it what their fans- what the average "Final Fantasy" geek wants? No, totally not.
I don't even know if that's true. Isn't mobile gaming huge in Japan? I thought we were just getting that stuff as a side effect of Japan getting it and making bank.