Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Genocyber posted:

DLC releases on the 22. That's four days, not a week.

God you're the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

No she does, just doesn't give you anything. Unlike Ben's her's is wholly fail-able since she disappears no matter what when you talk to her in Aldia.

Really? She didn't show in my NG+ game at all when I didn't bother keeping her dumb rear end alive. The Emerald Herald didn't show up right before fighting Nashandra either, but that was in a different game.

quote:

Oh, well that's okay then.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

lmao

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Really? She didn't show in my NG+ game at all when I didn't bother keeping her dumb rear end alive. The Emerald Herald didn't show up right before fighting Nashandra either, but that was in a different game.

Oh, well that's okay then.

If you talk to her each time yeah.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

For some reason Lucatiel never appeared for me in her final place at Aldia's Keep, even though I'd met her in all other locations prior to that. I wouldn't have gotten her equipment anyway, since I hadn't summoned her for enough fights, but it was kind of an anticlimax since hers was the story I found most interesting of all the NPCs.

Did you talk to her in Black Gulch? I doubt I would have found her there without a guide. I think you also need to exhaust her dialog each time.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So is there a comprehensive list of the items in the DLC plus descriptions that doesn't involve looking at 4chan? Thanks a bizunch

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think genocyber has a point here, guys. What's wrong with pirating unreleased DLC by hacking its content and then using it against other players?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Listen we have a lifetime to poo poo on genocyber. Maybe even more than that. But I wanna know about the weapons and armor noooow with no spoilers towards bosses and the areas. Because I'm bored.

Please help me

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I think genocyber has a point here, guys. What's wrong with pirating unreleased DLC by hacking its content and then using it against other players?

See? This guy gets it.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Listen we have a lifetime to poo poo on genocyber. Maybe even more than that. But I wanna know about the weapons and armor noooow with no spoilers towards bosses and the areas. Because I'm bored.

Please help me

Short version cause I'm lazy. Dex scaling straight sword with a mix of straight sword and whip moves. Str/dex scaling (like B for both) spear with a mix of lance and completely original santier-type-spinny moves. Greathammer with some thrusting moves that poisons you every time you attack with it. Axe that's actually a halberd with a weird 2hand l2 move that's kind like WoG? Xbox and repeating xbow that have a special move where your fire resonant souls. Miracle (maybe more? haven't tried myself) casting shield. Probably some other poo poo I'm forgetting.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Gorp posted:

Hey is anybody else having this issue?
I purchased the season pass on steam and can go up to the door to the DLC but it always reads "Locked", restarted the game a few times and the Dragon Talon just wont add itself to my inventory.

Anything I'm missing here or is my computer just acting screwy?

What you're missing is that the DLC isn't released yet. The data for all the new items has been added to the game, but you can only get them by hacking until the actual release on the 22nd.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Xbox and repeating xbow that have a special move where your fire resonant souls.

Resonant Avelyn sounds like a winner.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Barbed Club is getting nerfed? Glad I gave that a pass in favor of turning that soul in for the curved Creatsword that doesn't hate Strength. It looked cool but, but I didn't feel like making a boss soul weapon of a type I'd probably never use due to "Everything else I have is so much easier to upgrade later, and does more damage". At least from a caveman strong man standpoint. Shame though, because it looks pretty cool.

I am a sucker for making any boss weapon where it is the only thing a boss soul will make. Because why the hell not in that case. But given a choice of "Novelty Hammer, with Bleed and C DEX" over "Curved Greatsword that is pretty okay for Strength that does not take an optional superboss", yeah.

On that note, I am surprised there are only three Curved Greatswords. Nevermind the fact 2/3 of them are boss soul weapons. Though looking back, oh right. Only three in the last game too, and one was a covenant weapon.

Speaking of weapons that are few in number and not just laying around, will the Heide Greatlance drop from an Ascetic boost, or only a proper NG+? I'm getting mixed info on that front so far. Is it a get lucky with drop odds thing for a fresh NG, or just impossible?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Control Volume posted:

The Heide has better counter attack values (possibly since it's based on physical AR?) and the silverblack has more elemental attack.
I'm confident counter damage was physical-only in DS1 (it was pretty easy to test with the pure-magic spear), it's likely the same in DS2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Positronic Spleen posted:

I'm confident counter damage was physical-only in DS1 (it was pretty easy to test with the pure-magic spear), it's likely the same in DS2.

Counter damage was thrust only in Dks. Here it is any damage type, but only thrust counters get boosted by the Old Leo Ring.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Interesting. From made it impossible to cancel one handed attacks with the zweihander. Kind of a weird thing to change. I'm wondering if that's just an effect of some other change they did.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

White Phosphorus posted:

Interesting. From made it impossible to cancel one handed attacks with the zweihander. Kind of a weird thing to change. I'm wondering if that's just an effect of some other change they did.

Probably has something to do with taking out backstep parry.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Is did they just add a delay to the recovery on all swings or something? It seems like something they did.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Counter damage was thrust only in Dks. Here it is any damage type, but only thrust counters get boosted by the Old Leo Ring.
Right, I meant with the ring. As far as the games are concerned elements don't thrust/slash/strike, so they can't benefit from the ring that conditionally boosts thrust. I didn't know that bit about DS1 having thrust-only counters, though. It would kind of screw over elemental spears/lances if they left it the same, although I wouldn't have put it past them.

It makes me realize that I've never understood how physical defense relates to thrust/slash/strike defenses; is it an average for armor browsing convenience, a bonus added to each, or something else? I kind of wish the developers had given me a context for how all these seemingly-arbitrary values actually interact!

On a different topic, Reddit has more detailed patch info: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2b2mbu/here_are_all_the_weapon_adjustments_from_the_july/

Shield Crossbow might be okay??? Maybe with the Leo Ring? And Monastery Scimitar is back?!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Positronic Spleen posted:

Right, I meant with the ring. As far as the games are concerned elements don't thrust/slash/strike, so they can't benefit from the ring that conditionally boosts thrust. I didn't know that bit about DS1 having thrust-only counters, though. It would kind of screw over elemental spears/lances if they left it the same, although I wouldn't have put it past them.

It makes me realize that I've never understood how physical defense relates to thrust/slash/strike defenses; is it an average for armor browsing convenience, a bonus added to each, or something else? I kind of wish the developers had given me a context for how all these seemingly-arbitrary values actually interact!

On a different topic, Reddit has more detailed patch info: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2b2mbu/here_are_all_the_weapon_adjustments_from_the_july/

Shield Crossbow might be okay??? Maybe with the Leo Ring? And Monastery Scimitar is back?!

No one's figured out how exactly physical defense works but it seems to a be thing where if you have less damage than the opponent's defense, the damage is further reduced the lower it is, and the higher your damage is than the opponent's defense is the less it is reduced.

Also yeah, it seems they straight up reversed the curved sword parry nerf. So all curved swords have a good parry and the Mon Scimitar has the instant parry again. gj fromsoft

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I thought that getting invaded constantly in DS2 was annoying, but I've been invaded every time I've been human in loving Dark Souls 1. WHo the gently caress is still playing that, and even more puzzling, who the gently caress is still invading lowbies in it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Found a bug(?) with the Amana mages that I've never seen before.

If you knock them down with a weapon or parry or whatever, they won't get back up. They just lay here like this forever. I've never tried it so I dunno if it's an existing thing but I thought it was kinda funny.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Shhh. She's playing dead. :3:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If you knock them down with a weapon or parry or whatever, they won't get back up. They just lay here like this forever. I've never tried it so I dunno if it's an existing thing but I thought it was kinda funny.

Mastodons do this too.

E: nevermind, bad memory.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 19, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Is the visual effect on the King's Ring new? Or has it always been there and I just didn't notice?

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

That's been in there since day one on consoles amusingly. Must be intended by this point.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Genocyber posted:

Also yeah, it seems they straight up reversed the curved sword parry nerf. So all curved swords have a good parry and the Mon Scimitar has the instant parry again. gj fromsoft

Hahaha I started playing an hour and a half ago and everything was normal and now 4 of the last 5 people had monastery scimitars and were working that shoulder. Word spreads fast.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm actually really glad the Monastery Scimitar got its parry back in the game.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought that getting invaded constantly in DS2 was annoying, but I've been invaded every time I've been human in loving Dark Souls 1. WHo the gently caress is still playing that, and even more puzzling, who the gently caress is still invading lowbies in it?

If you were wondering why they changed the system to the soul memory thing it is in DS2 they did it because DS1 basically encourages invading lowbies and allows people develop their character so that they basically cannot be killed and can one shot any newbie -- a lot of players get off on that. It is a testament to how easy it is to invade people in an unfair manner in that game that people are still constantly doing it and that if you want to play the game you basically have to play as hollow unless you need to summon someone/get invaded by an npc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The game's godawful netcode and the way it favors invaders getting connections over summons means it's pretty much the fastest way to fight people left in the game. To get summoned you have to leave your sign in a spot where human players (a minority of those playing normally) will get to it within 10 levels of you, then they have to actually get past the game's infinite plague of "Summoning Failed"s. And it doesn't let you go nearly as far from your sign before making it disappear compared to Dark Souls 2 (just walking through an already-cleared boss door will remove your sign) so you pretty much just have to sit around if you want to get summoned.

Then due to the way the game's P2P works, you're only going to be connected to a small number of players in the same area as you anyway, so the odds of much summoning going on between the few people you'll get networked to are extremely low now.

Whereas for invaders, in Dark Souls 1 they can invade infinitely upward and they can do it for absolutely no penalty or risk to themselves, as many times as they want. The game also likes to let them into your world while every single summon sign you try to use nearby gives you "Summoning failed." So at this point, pretty much the most reliable way left to get any online interaction is to invade in the undead burg/parish. I've been replaying it recently and summon signs, bloodstains, messages, and apparitions are pretty much nonexistent while invaders still show up just fine. So the worst part of the game's online is basically the last surviving piece of it.

unrelated: what does it mean

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

unrelated: what does it mean

It's like a Dark Souls koan.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

anyone got an updated item helper and or item durability table?

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
save got corrupted, pretty lovely

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Genocyber posted:

No one's figured out how exactly physical defense works but it seems to a be thing where if you have less damage than the opponent's defense, the damage is further reduced the lower it is, and the higher your damage is than the opponent's defense is the less it is reduced.
I figure that's why Stone Armor works so well against Capra Demon in DS1, he's tuned for early-game, low-poise, low-defense armor.

CJacobs posted:

http://a.pomf.se/xmjvrl.webm

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

It's really easy to invade low level people and grief them in DkS1. Especially with stuff like the Pyromancy Flame not being based on stats at all, so you could put all your souls into it, get an end game level attack at level one and then just hang out in the early areas oneshoting people. Just stay hollow, you lose nothing but some NPC invasions from it. Your health does not decrease like it does in the other games when you're dead.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hey did they ever patch up that rear end in a top hat hammer drakekeeper knight at dragon shrine? The one who could attack endlessly?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having just gone through there a little while ago, I can safely say it's hard to tell. They still rotate without taking any steps like they're standing on a lazy susan but really that applies to everyone else in this game too so that'd be hard to fix.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Having just gone through there a little while ago, I can safely say it's hard to tell. They still rotate without taking any steps like they're standing on a lazy susan but really that applies to everyone else in this game too so that'd be hard to fix.

I was wondering if that was just my imagination when I was trying for early game backstabs (also, gently caress early game spear wielders recovering faster from recoiling off a leather shield than they do on a miss :argh:). For another outside opinion, is it my imagination that if I'm too close to enemies trying to circle for a backstab, I'll kind of stick on them? Or is this just an optical illusion caused by enemies suddenly reorienting completely right as I'm about to go that last little bit?

Grym Warriors are incredibly easy to backstab on that note. Enemy difficulty seems all over the place, especially if places like Doors of Pharos is something most people wait until AFTER Iron Keep for. On the other hand, while Lion Warriors take way more effort to kill than Allone knights (I can't stunlock them to death in two or three swings and need actual tactics oh my goodness!) they give a fraction of the souls of Allone knights.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They made a purple and cyan Longsword recolor. It looks absolutely gaudy and absolutely magnificent.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 19, 2014

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

They made a purple and cyan Longsword recolor. It looks absolutely gaudy and absolutely magnificent.

Post it, I want to have the gayest man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dreggon posted:

Post it, I want to have the gayest man

Were I you, I would consider the Greataxe made out of solid gold.

Seriously, it's just recolors but they are awesome recolors. There's a jet black Rapier too.

Look, there's bloody fists here people.

There's a freaking gigantic super-tiara.

They have expanded Fashion Souls.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 19, 2014