Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

Well, bugger - having finally gotten to actually trying to use Therapist on linux, Fortress stops updating the screen the moment Therapist connects.
Anyone actually have it working on Linux? I'm having no luck getting anything to spit out logs that might tell me what's going on.

Got the newest version of Therapist itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

He ended up going insane even after I got some wool cloth, which he didn't want. He had 2 silver nuggets gathered so far.

Little back, but sometimes I have to create more of whatever, even if I already have them and they get stuck like that. Try mining out some random rocks and making some green glass gems if it happens again?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
One of my peasant dwarves just randomly inherited a baronetcy without warning, when I didn't even have a mayor yet. Hunting through legends mode, her father is indeed listed as a baron, and of her five older siblings, two have been killed and three were captured and indoctrinated by the goblins, making her the rightful heir.

I guess The Cremated War of the great dwarven realm of The Mirror of Skulls against the demon worshipping goblins of The Superior Devil is going poorly :iit:

e: And another peasant inherited. Now I have two baronesses, for double the annoying demands.

Mygna fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 19, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Iny posted:

I'm not super experienced here, but are rocks really something you need to embark with? I was rather under the impression that most areas don't exactly have a shortage of them, so in practice you get ∞ pots for the cost of 0 embark points.

I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

Back when way fewer materials were lava safe it was worth embarking with some bauxite.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

ful posted:

Got the newest version of Therapist itself?

As of about 11 am this morning, yes.

EDIT: just did a git pull to make sure - I have the very latest thing. Blarg.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 19, 2014

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mygna posted:

One of my peasant dwarves just randomly inherited a baronetcy without warning, when I didn't even have a mayor yet. Hunting through legends mode, her father is indeed listed as a baron, and of her five older siblings, two have been killed and three were captured and indoctrinated by the goblins, making her the rightful heir.

I guess The Cremated War of the great dwarven realm of The Mirror of Skulls against the demon worshipping goblins of The Superior Devil is going poorly :iit:

e: And another peasant inherited. Now I have two baronesses, for double the annoying demands.

The only rightful use of monarchs and nobles both in game and out is for dying.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Everyone espouses playing as a slade colossus, but I think I'd rather play as a dragon. Feels like it'd give some more weight to taking territory, ruling over cities, and killing rival megabeasts.

Any quick way to mod that in?

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Other than that is there any functional difference between stairs and ramps?

One nice thing about ramps is that when they're not connected to a wall they will disappear, which saves your dwarves the hassle of removing them.

pre:
Using ramps:
_= Floor
W= Unmined block
R= Unmined block you want to turn into a ramp
r= Ramp
 _______
_RRWWWRR_
  _____ 
_rRWWWRr_
   ___
__rWWWr__

Using up/down stairs:
X= Unmined block you want to turn into an up/down stairs
x= Up/down stairs
 _______
_XXWWWXX_
  _____
_xXWWWXx_
   ___
_xxWWWxx_

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This world I just generated has eight pages of tombs.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

The only rightful use of monarchs and nobles both in game and out is for dying.

Given that the anniversary of the Spanish Revolution is tomorrow, I kind of want to create a dwarven group with 'Red' and 'Black' in its name whose sole purpose is to attract as much of the dwarven nobility to the fortress as possible and then kill them. I'll murder my way up the entire leadership heirarchy.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

Everyone espouses playing as a slade colossus, but I think I'd rather play as a dragon. Feels like it'd give some more weight to taking territory, ruling over cities, and killing rival megabeasts.

Any quick way to mod that in?

Through the magic of RAW editing, you can be anything your heart desires! Add this to your entity_default.txt file in the raw/object folder:

code:
[ENTITY:CHEATING]
	[CREATURE:x]
	[TRANSLATION:DWARF]
	[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
And replace "x" by whatever creature you want as defined by the creature_x.txt files! Want to be a cute little ball of fluff? [CREATURE:WAMBLER_FLUFFY] is what you put in. Want to be a dragon? Then you need [CREATURE:DRAGON].

Of course you need to generate a new world for these changes to take effect. I don't think there's anything stopping you from adding multiple entities like that for each creature you want to play as in the same world, but the entities themselves probably need to have different names (CHEATING1, CHEATING2 etc).

Also keep in mind that doing it this way won't let you actually stake a claim over a site. I don't know enough about the new system and RAW editing to figure out how that's even possible. Other than like, replacing humans with dragons or whatever. That'd be quite a sight.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Any news about the aggression bug?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elth posted:

Also keep in mind that doing it this way won't let you actually stake a claim over a site. I don't know enough about the new system and RAW editing to figure out how that's even possible. Other than like, replacing humans with dragons or whatever. That'd be quite a sight.

Replace elves with dragons, play fortress mode. Cut down a tree.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Replace elves with dragons, play fortress mode. Cut down a tree.

And also replace dwarves with colossi. Unstoppable force meets immovable object.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I reclaimed a fort, hoping to fight the forgotten beast inside, but found that the very bottom of the fort was exactly on top of an adamantine vein. I dug into it, of course, and my three remaining dwarves walled themselves in a small statue room with some dogs, and dug down to the underground lake for water. I'm hoping they'll survive until more migrants come. The migrants will of course be drafted into the Demon War.

Anyway, I'm posting this story because one of the flame demons got into a fight with a cat, and the cat clawed off all three of its tails :catstare: :black101:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What's up with Collect Webs? I have a guy sitting here spamming that he can't reach when there's an open path to the cave system below my fort. It seemed to only happen when I built some walls down there (that didn't block anything) but even after removing them it's happening.

Edit: Also my queen just came with my third migrant wave. I'm up to 35 dwarves. I guess they have nothing to do in really young worlds.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sankis posted:

What's up with Collect Webs? I have a guy sitting here spamming that he can't reach when there's an open path to the cave system below my fort. It seemed to only happen when I built some walls down there (that didn't block anything) but even after removing them it's happening.

Edit: Also my queen just came with my third migrant wave. I'm up to 35 dwarves. I guess they have nothing to do in really young worlds.

Is she a goblin?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is she a goblin?

Nope. Just a regular old lady dwarf.

The world is only 5 years old so I'm literally the second dwarf settlement.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sankis posted:

I think dwarves can cue up jobs to collect webs or hunt in caverns even when you haven't revealed the tiles on which the webs/animals are, but when they go to perform the job they won't be able to find a path until the tile is revealed.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Sankis posted:

If it's in the fog they won't be able to path to it (you can use burrows and cover all visible webs to solve that problem). Also maybe related, there's a bug (now fixed for the next version) that removing constructions teleports nearby objects to different layers. Maybe they had a job for a web that got teleported somewhere, or something like that?

I've seen whole rooms of items get warped to different z layers when constructions are removed (causes a lot of item missing spam).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 19, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I think I just experienced dwarven succession in my fort. For no reason at all, and without being promoted past Village status, I now have a queen. Not an announcement, not her retinue, just between messing with the 'n' menu one time and the next, suddenly dwarf royalty.

I'm probably doomed. This is a fort in its 2nd year without even a metal industry set up yet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Malcolm posted:

That's a good question, I don't know if room value is calculated by volume or surface area. I guess you could engrave the walls and see if your room value goes from Great to Legendary?

Sadly not, but the personal satisfaction of building huge Moira-style halls is more than enough for me.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Probably a really dumb question, but how do I find stuff in Adventurer Mode? I want to kill things, but I seem to just be wandering around an empty wilderness.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Note: if you jump over a river with alligators in it, they can make attacks against you while you're in midair. Hell yeah.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

Note: if you jump over a river with alligators in it, they can make attacks against you while you're in midair. Hell yeah.

i had a goblin jump at me and i whacked his head off in mid air, and still got smacked with his dead body

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i had a goblin jump at me and i whacked his head off in mid air, and still got smacked with his dead body

inertia doesn't have time for your dwarven poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

Never has this video been more relephant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb1c1aMcFAo

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

What's up with farmers picking something and then immediately going to the stockpile and dragging a barrel to the item they just picked? Is this a new behaviour/bug this release or has it been like this for a while? This isn't how it used to work, they used to pick a bunch of stuff and then haul all of it to a barrel.

My efficiency.

edit: appears it has been like this for a while. Is there any workaround to stop them hauling barrels to the plants themselves (or to stop them doing it after each and every harvest-job).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 19, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think the harvesters need to have Food Hauling off for that.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

scamtank posted:

I think the harvesters need to have Food Hauling off for that.

Unfortunately they still get a 'store item in barrel' task automatically after gathering, even with that disabled.

This might be a bug.

Going to try a workaround which is to have them haul the food into a stockpile without barrels/bins, and then have other dwarves feed stuff from that stockpile elsewhere.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 19, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, well. I thought it'd be too easy.

The way I do it is "farm plot -> plant stockpile without barrels right next to it -> primary plant stockpile with barrels some distance away, set to take from the previous".

The first haul job (probably the farmer) puts it in the staging lot and some rear end in a top hat from downstairs with too much time on his hands does the barrel-combining. Probably just in time to pick up multiple plants, too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

How well do pits and walls work now that enemies can climb?
If they're smoothed or made out of blocks they aren't climbable.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

scamtank posted:

The way I do it is "farm plot -> plant stockpile without barrels right next to it -> primary plant stockpile with barrels

Yeah, just figured this out right before you posted, but glad to know it works like that. Going to give it a go :)

edit: it works quite nicely - if the stockpiles by the workshops 'only take from links', then the farmers will only drop off their produce at their intermediate (no barrel) stockpile.

The farmers hauling without hauling jobs is an existing bug on the tracker, so I gave it a bump because it's bloody annoying. I still wish barrels worked like they used to, but oh well.

Zereth posted:

If they're smoothed or made out of blocks they aren't climbable.

More to the point - if your pit walls are smoothed in such a way, they're climbable only where you want them to be :black101:

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 19, 2014

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Transforming your military from the greenest of green baby retard recruits to a legitimate fighting force is hilarious now. Watching my lone idiot crossbowdwarf, likely the first dwarf in the world to ever contemplate killing, become instantly terror-stricken the moment he fires one wooden bolt into a family of thrips men (who themselves instantly begin crying and vomiting and bemoaning the fragility of life as the bolt hurtles toward them) is goddamn hysterical.

He's chasing them down the hillside now and they're retching and puking as he bashes their heads in with his wooden crossbow and he's crying as they call for help and he is merciless and it was inevitable and it is terrifying.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I put my butchering shop right at the edge of my slop/execution pit and I regret it. My butcher/military commander regularly drops everything in the middle of some meat-carving and runs screaming when he notices the thrips man remains at the bottom of the pit 3 z-levels down again.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mu. posted:

Transforming your military from the greenest of green baby retard recruits to a legitimate fighting force is hilarious now. Watching my lone idiot crossbowdwarf, likely the first dwarf in the world to ever contemplate killing, become instantly terror-stricken the moment he fires one wooden bolt into a family of thrips men (who themselves instantly begin crying and vomiting and bemoaning the fragility of life as the bolt hurtles toward them) is goddamn hysterical.

He's chasing them down the hillside now and they're retching and puking as he bashes their heads in with his wooden crossbow and he's crying as they call for help and he is merciless and it was inevitable and it is terrifying.

I have to admit, that made me laugh.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mu. posted:

I want to goldmine this post.

Also on the same topic I have this dwarf skull floating above my entrance for some reason and every so often one of my dwarves looks up when they go inside and freeze in terror as they see the spooky hammerdwarf skull. This hilariously includes most of my military who proceed to piss themselves in terror esxcept for the guys who actually have kills to their name. :thumbsup:

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 19, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
In a time before time, somebody attacked somebody. In 1, murder was invented.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
So that puke problem I had in my fortress? Doesn't seem to be happening anymore (for now) but something else is happening that's odd and..honestly gives me the creeps..

So I've built up my military and they're outfitted head to toe with steel basically. Lots of front door skirmishes have been going on lately with interlopers, which shouldn't be odd..but...the wounded soldiers (among others) have been coming back with this odd sort of wasting disease once they're injured.

They're being put and treated in the fully stocked hospital I have like usual but then I noticed miasma coming from a couple of the beds.. When I K'd over them to see what was on the square...to my horror...I found that my illustrious doctors were stacking people 7, sometimes 8 high on single bed. That's not the gross part though...The horror comes from this odd wasting syndrome the people on the bed are going through. Going into detail screen about the dwarves finds that most of them basically have masses of rotting body parts.

So basically my doctor dwarves are creating these giant masses of flesh eating disease sufferers stacked on beds.

I wish I had saved a screenshot of this...the thoughts and feelings screen was basically one giant wall of red text detailing rotting body parts.

Ugh, I have the heebie jeebies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Have you encountered any forgotten beasts or titans? They can have randomly generated syndromes, the side effects of which can include making dwarves rot away to nothing. Alternatively, are you in an evil biome of any kind? Those have randomly generated rains with similar potential effects, among other fun things.