Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Dienes posted:

How does giving money to both sides of a war turn a profit?

You should ask Bush, he was doing it for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
At my highschool a home economics course was required in 11th grade, which included how to pay bills, write checks, and make a budget among other things. As for applying for college, I don't think anything was required, but they had tons of free resources to help you apply for whatever college you want(like writing a good cover letter, and things you can do to make your application look good), and near the end of the year they let you know about them over and over and over.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I'm cynical so I'd be surprised if most high school graduates could graph a polynomial function.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dienes posted:

I know, I know, arguing with a jpg...

something something Metal Gear and the Patriots.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Apogee15 posted:

At my highschool a home economics course was required in 11th grade, which included how to pay bills, write checks, and make a budget among other things. As for applying for college, I don't think anything was required, but they had tons of free resources to help you apply for whatever college you want(like writing a good cover letter, and things you can do to make your application look good), and near the end of the year they let you know about them over and over and over.

Going from the application process for CNM and UNM, it just about holds your hand through the whole process. It's even easier if you're transferring from CNM to UNM, just bring up your info and click to send it over.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When I finished high school in 2001, they held our hand through the college application process to a ridiculous level. Of course we were all applying to public colleges in-province because Quebec has a weird system, but it got to the point where they'd tell you how many stamps to put on the envelope.

Seriously I think we spent 15 hours of class on how to fill out a one page form and mail it.

Of course it's all online now, but there's even an application simulator.

FrozenVent has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Jul 19, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

See if you can spot how many things are wrong with this picture.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

Well, the Yankees suck and so does Norton.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

A program targeting the health of cafeteria food for public schools in a nation where childhood obesity is a huge (ha) problem banned literal fast food of a chain that serves almost entirely fried chicken from being served to students by the cafeteria? You don't say.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

Well, that's not Yankee Stadium for one.

EDIT: Well, I guess that's old Yankee Stadium, not new.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Grrl Anachronism posted:

A program targeting the health of cafeteria food for public schools in a nation where childhood obesity is a huge (ha) problem banned literal fast food of a chain that serves almost entirely fried chicken from being served to students by the cafeteria? You don't say.

Of course they're going to use an unflattering, aggressive photo of her. Why would I expect otherwise.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

i read the top bit as "i got my motha a fuckin sex toy!!" which somehow makes this ten times worse.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

"But what if we WANT to have kids shovel garbage into their mouths until they become horrible little meat blobs?!"

VidaGrey
Mar 19, 2009

The more I see of men, the more I like dogs.

Byzantine posted:

These always seem to pick the easiest possible things to complain about. "HOW DO I PAY BILLS ARGH"

I thought almost every school went over this poo poo. Teenagers tend not to give a gently caress about bills and buying houses, but we still had to learn how to balance a checkbook. Also, senior year was filled with information about applying to college. I didn't even go to a great school or anything.

What is this and do I even want to know :psyduck:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There won't be a revolution in the future, since people will be too fat to fit through their front doors. It makes sense is what I'm saying.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Grrl Anachronism posted:

What are the odds they are mad about children eating healthy vs the Obamas removing a good, wholesome, Christian (homophobic) company from schools?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

kazil posted:

What are the odds they are mad about children eating healthy vs the Obamas removing a good, wholesome, Christian (homophobic) company from schools?

No bookie would ever make odds on that because there is only one answer. It's the South.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

Dienes posted:

Didn't you see that scene in Lord of War where they fire a gun in slow motion, and the spent casings make a "ka-ching, ka-ching" sound like a cash register?
It's the best type of evidence: Anecdotal.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Grrl Anachronism posted:

The headline reads well completely straight as well as the snide, sarcastic way they meant it, it's pretty great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Well, that's not Yankee Stadium for one.

EDIT: Well, I guess that's old Yankee Stadium, not new.
To be honest that's the only thing right about that picture.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
No idea where this is from originally. One of my Facebook friends posted it and I promptly unfriended him because life's too loving short.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

razorrozar posted:

No idea where this is from originally. One of my Facebook friends posted it and I promptly unfriended him because life's too loving short.

I love the cognitive dissonance involved in saying that having gender specific shelters is a good thing. It's like, if you took half a second to think about why that is...

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
MRA groups have become a growing problem in the mountain halls

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

change my name posted:

I love the cognitive dissonance involved in saying that having gender specific shelters is a good thing. It's like, if you took half a second to think about why that is...

But then how could he continue on with his massive Tumblr-esque persecution complex?! It's not his fault he's a loser in life, it's everyone elses.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Picnic Princess posted:

But then how could he continue on with his massive Tumblr-esque persecution complex?! It's not his fault he's a loser in life, it's everyone elses.

I mean, I can take comfort in the fact that his beard will soon smother him to death when it grows over his nose and mouth, but still...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

change my name posted:

A common problem among MRA nonsense is that you'll get one or two totally legitimate complaints buried under a gigantic mountain of misogynistic bullshit. "There is woefully poor support for men in abusive relationships" gets twisted into "all women are evil and feminism is tyranny" all too often.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I am laid low by the matriarchy!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kannonfodder posted:

I am laid low by the matriarchy!

like these nerds would get laid

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I never got why nerds are so often against feminism. It's hard to think of a group of straight guys who would benefit more from a society where hyper-masculinity isn't desirable.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

More from guess-who.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I never got why nerds are so often against feminism. It's hard to think of a group of straight guys who would benefit more from a society where hyper-masculinity isn't desirable.

I think they blame feminism for not getting laid. It doesn't really make a lot of sense but it seems to be a lot of physically repulsive guys with hideous personalities, few redeeming qualities, and bad hygiene that think they're sexually desirable because they totally did a nice thing for a woman one time or would totally be less spiteful and bitter if they got to touch boobs more often. I also wonder if some of them fantasize about a world where women aren't allowed to reject them and hate feminism because feminism is part of the reason that world doesn't exist.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think they blame feminism for not getting laid. It doesn't really make a lot of sense but it seems to be a lot of physically repulsive guys with hideous personalities, few redeeming qualities, and bad hygiene that think they're sexually desirable because they totally did a nice thing for a woman one time or would totally be less spiteful and bitter if they got to touch boobs more often. I also wonder if some of them fantasize about a world where women aren't allowed to reject them and hate feminism because feminism is part of the reason that world doesn't exist.

Yeah that's a big part of the point. They also generally dislike actual women, because it's the girls who are the reason why they're not getting laid, so a philosophy which empowers women, especially when it makes ripples in their media, threatens them even more.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Something something Why can't women IRL by more like my perfect anime waifu

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Also, more traditionally masculine misogynists are more likely to just brush it off when exposed to feminism, while more secretly insecure misogynists are more likely to take deep personal offense.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I'm not seeing this as a bad thing. I tried Chik-Fil-A once and it was the most horrible bland chicken I ever tasted. I still can't see why people lose their minds over their food.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
My theory for MRAs is still abusive mothers.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

For at least some of them, I'd say it's because they think they are that ideal of hyper-masculinity, no matter how far from reality that is; a kind of Dunning-Kreuger effect for their self-identity, if you will.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Regalingualius posted:

For at least some of them, I'd say it's because they think they are that ideal of hyper-masculinity, no matter how far from reality that is; a kind of Dunning-Kreuger effect for their self-identity, if you will.
What the hell is it with goons and invoking Dunning-Kruger.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Not to mention nerds feel that their beloved video games are threatened because feminists take a dim view of scantily clad women and the generally sexist themes often found in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Strudel Man posted:

What the hell is it with goons and invoking Dunning-Kruger.

There should be a law about how goons with the least understanding of Dunning-Kruger are the most likely to post about Dunning-Kruger.

• Locked thread