Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Elth posted:

What the hell is a dwarf supposed to do with all that room? You just need enough space for a bed, a cabinet, and maybe a chest. What else are you gonna put there? A fancy bookcase? What the hell is a book? What, you think you're a prissy noble? Gonna start demanding crystal glass windows and silk ropes to put in your stupid huge room? Go back to work and don't forget to grab a meal worth more than any craft you ever produced to go eat in the dining room made entirely out of gold, rear end in a top hat.

What the gently caress is a "room"? New immigrants should shut up and lay down on the saguaro wood beds in the dormitory dug out of clay. Nobody is allowed entrance to the fortress proper until they slay 3 goblins.

Service guarantees citizenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All my dorfs live in 2x2 rooms each with their own bed, chest, and cabinet. And a door. And they like it, drat it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Dwarves deserve pretty things okay :ohdear:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm spooling through the string dump, categorizing the new value spectrums for easier reading, and here's one that caught my eye:

quote:

|holds nature to be of greater value than most aspects of civilization| // NATURE
|has a deep respect for animals, plants and the natural world|
|values nature|
|doesn't care about nature one way or another|
|finds nature somewhat disturbing| // haha dwarves are this by default
|has a deep dislike of the natural world|
|would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted into a great mining pit|

I think we all need to crank the default dwarven values a little further just to see this tidbit more often.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

I'm spooling through the string dump, categorizing the new value spectrums for easier reading, and here's one that caught my eye:

I think we all need to crank the default dwarven values a little further just to see this tidbit more often.

That's good, but add a level and turn it up to 11, tia.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buying that smiley was the best the worst a thing I did for the forums.

If I can stay awake long enough tonight, I'm going to make an OS X build if the new DT, I'll drop a link here for testing.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just to confirm, does anybody else, by default, have hotkeys in their kitchen to cook easy, fine, and lavish meals? The hotkey file indicates that it should, but I do not.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

O lord these frikkin moods. Now one of the dwarves decides it wants 14 horse bones. There is a dead horse in the refuse-room that died from starvation unfortunately, can i somehow tell someone to extract bones from it?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Humans Among Us posted:

O lord these frikkin moods. Now one of the dwarves decides it wants 14 horse bones. There is a dead horse in the refuse-room that died from starvation unfortunately, can i somehow tell someone to extract bones from it?

bones are created from butchering corpses. Have your butcher do his work on the horse corpse and you should be set.

As an aside, I usually just make a boneyard stockpile in my workshop area, since bones do not rot.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Just to confirm, does anybody else, by default, have hotkeys in their kitchen to cook easy, fine, and lavish meals? The hotkey file indicates that it should, but I do not.

I did try it after your reply, with several keybinds. Nope, seems it's busted relic from times gone by.

Excelzior posted:

bones are created from butchering corpses. Have your butcher do his work on the horse corpse and you should be set.

As an aside, I usually just make a boneyard stockpile in my workshop area, since bones do not rot.

Otherwise good, but you cannot butcher the bodies pets or friendly strays. You can only slaughter them alive. Grab a yak or something and sacrifice it to the gods of craftsmanship.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Really all it takes is a really nice bed in a smoothed 2x2 room with a marble box or two and they're pretty happy. Throw in a nice dining room full of statues somewhere and lavish meals and your dwarves are permanently ecstatic.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is the thing that lets you see multiple Z levels updated to the latest version yet? Sitting in masterwork building a fort of mainly catwalks and crafting pits is loving cool

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah i'm starting to realise why people get dwarves throwing tantrums. I smooth the walls, make nice tables, desks, chairs, etc. Nobles get big rooms with statues and pets.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Reason posted:

is the thing that lets you see multiple Z levels updated to the latest version yet? Sitting in masterwork building a fort of mainly catwalks and crafting pits is loving cool

DFHack.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

scamtank posted:

I did try it after your reply, with several keybinds. Nope, seems it's busted relic from times gone by.

Otherwise good, but you cannot butcher the bodies pets or friendly strays. You can only slaughter them alive. Grab a yak or something and sacrifice it to the gods of craftsmanship.

Ok Ill try but he's specifically asking for stray horse bones (14). Theres a complete horse skeleton in the room but i guess it's against protocol to touch it or something. Thanks regardless Excelzior and scamtank :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reason posted:

Oh man, I suddenly wish you could order your dwarves to craft a rope bridge out of a few lengths of rope and some planks.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Humans Among Us posted:

Ok Ill try but he's specifically asking for stray horse bones (14). Theres a complete horse skeleton in the room but i guess it's against protocol to touch it or something. Thanks regardless Excelzior and scamtank :)

I don't think it works like that? I think that means he currently has 14 bones in his workshop, and he's looking for something else.

One of those things where having 3+ different 'examine' keys gets in the way. Try looking at the dwarf and seeing what he's mumbling about, I'd wager you're looking at the workshop and seeing whats there in storage.

But it has also been a few months since I played.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Oh i see, i just slaughtered a stray bull and the mood dwarf just queued some bull bones in the craftmanshop. I think i'm beginning to understand...

e: tho i'm still not sure if they will fetch the materials themselves or if i need to somehow get it to them? Sorry for being noobish :D

e2: slaughtered a couple of cats and now the dwarf begun his mysterious construction !! succes at last

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 19, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

They should go grab materials on their own if they're available. Hard to tell sometimes with how fast they can move.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

They should go grab materials on their own if they're available. Hard to tell sometimes with how fast they can move.

Thanks.

Another question if you don't mind; If i don't have indoor farms for plump helmet, what should i pick to grow on outside-farms ?There's so many options it even overlaps the menu commands with the list and i have no idea :confused:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Anything but blade weed and hide root, really. You can only grind those into (albeit expensive) dye.

Rope reed isn't edible, but you can still turn it into booze or thread. Longland grass needs to be ground into flour and cooked to be eaten, but makes good beer. Almost everything else can be eaten raw.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Awesome!

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've been wanting to play masterwork for a while but I got a couple questions.

I tried playing it about a month ago and I kept running into problems here and there. Is it really best to use the recommended worlds? I used the Plains as the base world yet I would end up with either little to no dirt for underground farming, no iron in the entire area(according to prospect all) or having the area littered with warpstone.

How can I deal with warpstone? I've had it happen where I plan out my entire base and start digging and then I hit a massive warpstone vein right where I was going to put all the bedrooms.

Does anyone have a therapist profile for all the new skills masterwork adds? I don't know what to put as a priority for them all.

Probably the most annoying issue I had was with making a custom embark profile and then trying to load it. I would create an embark profile to how I want and pretty much everytime I tried to load that profile I would be then told that I didn't actually have enough points for all of the items. When I create the profile I would have enough points but loading it would say there isnt and I'd basically have to redo the whole thing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Drevoak posted:

I've been wanting to play masterwork for a while but I got a couple questions.

I tried playing it about a month ago and I kept running into problems here and there. Is it really best to use the recommended worlds? I used the Plains as the base world yet I would end up with either little to no dirt for underground farming, no iron in the entire area(according to prospect all) or having the area littered with warpstone.

How can I deal with warpstone? I've had it happen where I plan out my entire base and start digging and then I hit a massive warpstone vein right where I was going to put all the bedrooms.

Does anyone have a therapist profile for all the new skills masterwork adds? I don't know what to put as a priority for them all.

Probably the most annoying issue I had was with making a custom embark profile and then trying to load it. I would create an embark profile to how I want and pretty much everytime I tried to load that profile I would be then told that I didn't actually have enough points for all of the items. When I create the profile I would have enough points but loading it would say there isnt and I'd basically have to redo the whole thing.

Just turn off Harder Mining until you have played for a while and want to add in warpstone and coal dust and other stuff.

Just up your embark points in the GUI and see how many you need for the profile you did. I'd suggest going into the GUI and setting it up with Researching turned off and Harder Mining off at first. Also turn on frogmen, those guys are awesome invaders.

Don't worry about the new skills until you make the workshop that they use. Just a word of advice, Masonry is really important since you can make complete bedroom sets (Door, Bed, Cabinet, Coffer) out of stone at the Furniture workshop. They also make Noble sets, and other things.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I'd generate a world on the recommended settings, I don't know what it affects but I've had pretty good luck getting sites with several of iron, copper, tin, silver and gold. And bear in mind in Masterwork you don't need huge amounts of steel for weapons and armour, there are plenty of ways of generating decent materials without digging for them (though they can take a while to figure out - ironbone and bloodsteel only need ash, bone and blood to make at the alchemists but figuring out how to make loads of the reagents and build an alchemy shop is a pain). You'll still need actual steel for a lot of the more advanced toys though.

I have Harder Mining and Harder Smithing turned off, some of Masterwork's options are unashamedly painful to deal with and I wouldn't worry about disabling the ones you find most annoying rather than fun. I just came *this* close to losing a nice fort to a dwarf suddenly transforming into a warlock and fireballing my booze stockpile just now but I'm willing to take that risk. Warpstone and blacklung just sounds aggravating.

If you don't recognize a skill try activating it for all your general labourdorfs. Most of the time the skill only affects speed rather than quality and you'll be able to see what stuff does quickly without wading through skills and proficiencies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget with harder mining, unless they were taken out recently, added a random chance that digging a random spot will make 1 or possibly more iron wraiths spawn, which is pretty much a fort end if say it happened on the first tile of digging.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 20, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

To be honest, like all of the 'Harder _____' things are pretty poo poo because they're just added tedium for a game where there's enough already when it comes to wrangling your particular collective of bearded cats. I'm not sure why the hell they're enabled from the start.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

To be honest, like all of the 'Harder _____' things are pretty poo poo because they're just added tedium for a game where there's enough already when it comes to wrangling your particular collective of bearded cats. I'm not sure why the hell they're enabled from the start.

I generally leave harder learning on just so that I feel like getting a dwarf into a caste is more important. Other than that they don't matter much.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Humans Among Us posted:

If i don't have indoor farms for plump helmet

Not to try to dissuade you from your dirty topside dwelling ways, but getting a good old underground farm going is usually a good idea. It can form the backup (if not the backbone) to your more exotic brewing industry and ensures that, in the event you don't particularly want to head outdoors to gather plants or butcher thripmen, you can just sup on plump helmet biscuits (it consists of finely minced plump helmet with plump helmet) and plump helmet wine until the danger passes.

Also, seriously, one large migrant wave can crush your supplies pretty hard if you don't have a good backlog, and just having vast mushroom filled chambers is pretty awesome.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Harmonica posted:

Not to try to dissuade you from your dirty topside dwelling ways, but getting a good old underground farm going is usually a good idea. It can form the backup (if not the backbone) to your more exotic brewing industry and ensures that, in the event you don't particularly want to head outdoors to gather plants or butcher thripmen, you can just sup on plump helmet biscuits (it consists of finely minced plump helmet with plump helmet) and plump helmet wine until the danger passes.

Also, seriously, one large migrant wave can crush your supplies pretty hard if you don't have a good backlog, and just having vast mushroom filled chambers is pretty awesome.

Underground farms are really handy. The way I set up my fortresses, I can safely ignore sieges unless there's a migrant wave or caravan, and the only forgotten beasts I need to worry about are the building destroyers. A true dwarf is completely indifferent to the surface world.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Who What Now posted:

All my dorfs live in 2x2 rooms each with their own bed, chest, and cabinet. And a door. And they like it, drat it.

I think I've said this before, but I feel the most efficient room is a 4x4 room, with a bed in every corner. Four dwarves will all get their own 2x2 sections of the room, and you can give them a cabinet if you want. Also, added value that since everyone sleeps like this, vampires get found real easy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The road to complete dwarven domination of the world is paved with mushrooms and mushroom wine.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I already had turned off all the harder stuff so I'm surprised to see that I still have warpstone spawning. I've double checked my setting and generated a new world yet I still have warpstone appearing.

EDIT: Figured it out. Patch changed it so warpstone still spawns but isn't dangerous now.

Drevoak fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 20, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

Can't seem to find a place to put it. The raws say it uses [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE], which is my best clue, but I don't want to muck about with every other clawed being and suddenly have every beast in the world grow opposeable thumbs.

And I'd love to give them happiness strings and motivations, but I've really never read code before so this is all new to me.

Presumably you could find out where the claw template is defined, and make a copy, call it "claw_graspable", add the grasp tag to it, then modify the dragon file to use your new claw type.

Said with all the experience who has never looked at a df raw file in his life, of course.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

wrangling your particular collective of bearded cats.

Note to self: add new creature, functions identically to normal cat only with beard. Look forward to "fine cat beard cloth dress" showing up in fortress.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 20, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Splode posted:

Underground farms are really handy. The way I set up my fortresses, I can safely ignore sieges unless there's a migrant wave or caravan, and the only forgotten beasts I need to worry about are the building destroyers. A true dwarf is completely indifferent to the surface world.

Wrong. A true dwarf would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted into a great mining pit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But the only thing to mine at surface level is dirt, which is just dead trees?

What sort of dwarf would want to bother with pit mining? Why would you want to let sunlight into a perfectly good mine?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

OwlFancier posted:

But the only thing to mine at surface level is dirt, which is just dead trees?

What sort of dwarf would want to bother with pit mining? Why would you want to let sunlight into a perfectly good mine?

So that the elves would see what you've done, of course.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jazzimus Prime posted:

So that the elves would see what you've done, of course.

let them see it first hand by combining both ideas - dig out huge swaths of rock, then cave it all in (whilst the elven delegation is standing at the trade depot above, perplexed at the lack of a broker)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drevoak posted:

EDIT: Figured it out. Patch changed it so warpstone still spawns but isn't dangerous now.

Just so you're forewarned: I have harder mining off but any of my miners that catch a good whiff of warpstone dust as they go through the warpstone (stable or otherwise) have issues breathing after that, forever. Even if I heal them with DFhack I still see them get winded just going about their ordinary business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Are there still mummies that instantly curse you when they see you in adventure mode?