Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

Well remember that you still get promo credit for free poo poo, so if your console came with a game and then you got a free game with Mario Kart...that's 3 codes right there. Club Nintendo reward games count as well.

It's 2.5 if the games are full retail of 599 points. Still doesn't account for the other 10.5 codes.

O__O posted:

Actually it's for anything you buy on the e-shop not just full priced games.

I didn't say full retail. It only applies to Wii U software, meaning software on the Wii U store. Games in the Wii store and the 3DS store don't count. The Wii U store is getting better, but I couldn't justify $300 worth of purchases, let alone double that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

enojy posted:

You got it mixed up! The website states that it IS eligible for DDP, but NOT eligible to be registered as a new console (thus earning you 160 coins) on Club Nintendo. However, my refurbished unit registered itself or something, and I got the 160 coins anyway. I've read of others getting those coins, too, as well as people not getting coins.

I have a feeling it boils down to whether or not the original owner of the console had already registered it on Club Nintendo, if there even was an original owner.

That's exactly it. Nintendo is just covering their rear end by saying they aren't eligible. In practice, a number of them never got registered before Nintendo refurbed them, so they reward coins anyway.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I figured this would be the best place to ask – how's Punch Out for the Wii? It looks a little pricier than i was hoping for, but I'd like to try it one of these days.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Got Game & Wario as my Club Nintendo Plat reward, is anybody talking about this game at all?

I pretty much only played that Sketch game and the flinging multiplayer game. That alone was worth it being free.

jivjov posted:

Well remember that you still get promo credit for free poo poo, so if your console came with a game and then you got a free game with Mario Kart...that's 3 codes right there. Club Nintendo reward games count as well.

This blows my mind with the DDP promotion. I even got free points on some DLC that came with Arkham Origins.

Edit: I mean, even Best Buy closed the Reward Zone loopholes with being unable to earn points on stuff bought with Gift Cards. But I am getting free games, that give me points that earn me eShop Gift Cards, which I can spend on games that earn me points, which give me more eShop Gift Cards.... all of which give me Club Nintendo coins, which give me free VC titles, which once again earn me points and eShop Gift Cards.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 20, 2014

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask – how's Punch Out for the Wii? It looks a little pricier than i was hoping for, but I'd like to try it one of these days.

I had a lot of fun with it. On my older TV I had pretty bad input lag though which made some of the later fights more annoying than they needed to be. Overall, if you like Punch Out you'll have a good time.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's awesome, and I say that as someone who never played any of the punch out series previously.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Got Game & Wario as my Club Nintendo Plat reward, is anybody talking about this game at all?

The reviews kept me away from it, but getting it for free has resulted in the weirdest, most captivating experience and the multiplayer is all friends and I have been playing the past few days. We keep inadvertently unlocking creepy "toys" and spending hours freaking out over them.

My reaction is that it's the slightly inferior sequel to Nintendoland. Nintendoland's minigames were better designed on the whole which gives Game and Wario the feeling of being the left overs. There's plenty of fun in the package despite being pretty shallow. I'm not crying over it being free, it was definitely the best choice for me out of what was available, but I wouldn't pay more than twenty bucks for a copy and even that pricing is a stretch.

I am looking forward to getting some people over and checking out the multiplayer modes, but everyone made excuses ("Boo hoo. My car caught on fire." Suck it up, and come play Game and Wario you whiner.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Game and Wario really suffered from the way the multiplayer gamers were designed. Any time I had a chance to have someone play it, they'd rather play Nintendoland because they got to use a controller.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Game & Wario is Wii Play U, basically - a lot of the minigames are based on tech-demos that were going to be pre-installed on the console, but when the WarioWare team was told to polish them up they did their usual goofy Wario crap and eventually someone decided they might as well make a retail game out of it. I wish they'd have saved their effort for a real WarioWare game, but it is what it is.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Punch Out Wii is fantastic, definitely my favourite in the series.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's awesome. A must play if you liked the older ones.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's damned amazing. Go play that ASAP! It's so full of charm and it's got a good challenge too!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

The reviews kept me away from it, but getting it for free has resulted in the weirdest, most captivating experience and the multiplayer is all friends and I have been playing the past few days. We keep inadvertently unlocking creepy "toys" and spending hours freaking out over them.
I sat down to play Game & Wario and the Destiny beta around the same time. I'd estimate that I had roughly the same amount of fun playing either game (probably more fun playing G&W, actually).

Gamer actually kicks serious butt - even just the Balloon Fighter microgames are really strong, and there's an insane number of them so you don't really get tired of 'em ever. I like Taxi but it's insanely rough around the edges and has so much missed potential that it actually kind of hurts. Patchwork is a cool, surprisingly original take on the style of thinking generally present in jigsaw puzzles. Gamer really steals the show, though.

Fremry posted:

Edit: Like, honestly, I'm baffled that there is that much stuff worth buying on the store.
This was my point. I mean, I dig the heck out of the Wii U, but there is no way I could manage to spend $650 in software - not digital, and not now, anyway.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

As someone who played the others far to much and still play them to this day, I can say its the best in the series.

Also, how much is to much for you? I could find you a copy here in my island for 20 quite easily.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Alteisen posted:

As someone who played the others far to much and still play them to this day, I can say its the best in the series.

Also, how much is to much for you? I could find you a copy here in my island for 20 quite easily.

It should be 20 everywhere as it's one of those Nintendo Selects or whatever thing for the Wii they did with Twilight Princess and SMG1 and such.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I live in the EU region. Every Wii game seems to have different language support depending on which country you're in and who's the publisher plus the shift of the moon. There should be languages listed on the back of every case, some have it some don't. Some of the ones without any languages listed on the back are ones that are literally only in German. I haven't cracked the code.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

It should be 20 everywhere as it's one of those Nintendo Selects or whatever thing for the Wii they did with Twilight Princess and SMG1 and such.

That's what kind of threw me off – it's a Nintendo Select, but it's still more than the $20 I was expecting:

http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Out-Nintendo-Selects-Wii/dp/B005EIIBKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405823073&sr=8-2&keywords=Punch+Out+wii

But after all the praise from this thread, I'll definitely check it out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some of the Selects are $20 and some are $30, I think.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That's what kind of threw me off – it's a Nintendo Select, but it's still more than the $20 I was expecting:

http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Out-Nintendo-Selects-Wii/dp/B005EIIBKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405823073&sr=8-2&keywords=Punch+Out+wii

But after all the praise from this thread, I'll definitely check it out.

Whoaaaaa that's way too high. May be that price due to low inventory or discontinuation of product. Walk into any Target or Walmart and it should be 20 bucks.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some of the Selects are $20 and some are $30, I think.

I've never seen any in NA over 20.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gamestop has it new for $20, and Best Buy used for $17. Third party Amazon sellers are by and large garbage.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Just wanted to say that I got Mass Effect 3: Special Edition for $5 at Toys R Us, and it's been pretty great so far! Haven't played any of the previous games in the series, but I'm 12 hours into this and it's a great sci-fi romp, no complaints.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

zenintrude posted:

Just wanted to say that I got Mass Effect 3: Special Edition for $5 at Toys R Us, and it's been pretty great so far! Haven't played any of the previous games in the series, but I'm 12 hours into this and it's a great sci-fi romp, no complaints.

I love this post. So many ME fans just got mad, and they've no clue why.

It's a shame they released this before bringing the trilogy out as a complete package, that would have been a much better release for the Wii U.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Generally most of the complaints are due to how it ends. You almost might not be so bothered if you don't have two prior games of investment in it before it ends badly.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think a lot of people just didn't like the direction that Bioware started taking the series down, in terms of gameplay and story. I'm one of them. Even 2, which a lot of people laud as the best one, didn't grab me the same way Mass Effect 1 did. :shrug:

EDIT: VVV I'm not denying a lot of people liked it, I just think I'm not alone in saying that the series just lost me as a fan as it gradually changed over the years.

Silver Striker fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 20, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Striker posted:

I think a lot of people just didn't like the direction that Bioware started taking the series down, in terms of gameplay and story. I'm one of them. Even 2, which a lot of people laud as the best one, didn't grab me the same way Mass Effect 1 did. :shrug:

No, people liked ME3 in general it was the last ten minutes basically doing everything Bioware promised they wouldn't do when Mass Effect was first released. And when you've got a good half-decade of story buildup drawing in a massive fanbase all to that single moment, people were... unhappy.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Ultigonio posted:

I sat down to play Game & Wario and the Destiny beta around the same time. I'd estimate that I had roughly the same amount of fun playing either game (probably more fun playing G&W, actually).

Gamer actually kicks serious butt - even just the Balloon Fighter microgames are really strong, and there's an insane number of them so you don't really get tired of 'em ever. I like Taxi but it's insanely rough around the edges and has so much missed potential that it actually kind of hurts. Patchwork is a cool, surprisingly original take on the style of thinking generally present in jigsaw puzzles. Gamer really steals the show, though.

Yeah, Gamer is really fun. Even just playing the microgames by themselves is like a good old-fashioned batch of WarioWare microgames, but then in 9-Volt mode with the metagame of hiding it from your (creepy) mother? It's like extra fun on top of fun.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Best Buy's sale on Pro Controllers is up.

Edit: Looks like they charge shipping on orders under $35. Probably better off just picking it up from a store tomorrow.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 20, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any experience with Best Buy running out of sale stuff? I want to take advantage of the Pro Controller deal as well as the BOGO 3DS game deal...but have to wait til payday to do so. If they run out of stock, do they offer rain checks or anything? Or am I just SOL?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Anyone have any experience with Best Buy running out of sale stuff? I want to take advantage of the Pro Controller deal as well as the BOGO 3DS game deal...but have to wait til payday to do so. If they run out of stock, do they offer rain checks or anything? Or am I just SOL?
They don't do rain checks but a lot of the time if their website runs out of inventory they'll restock at least once before the sale is over.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

jivjov posted:

Assuming Best Buy's in-store pick-up system works like Target's, and they don't charge you until you actually walk into the store, you could submit an in-store order. Best Buy will usually hold onto the order for a maximum of eight days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Operative posted:

Assuming Best Buy's in-store pick-up system works like Target's, and they don't charge you until you actually walk into the store, you could submit an in-store order. Best Buy will usually hold onto the order for a maximum of eight days.

There's some merit in that...is there any way to do the BOGO deal online? Nothing is showing on the Triple Deluxe page, but I haven't tried anything to my cart yet.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Try using this link, Best Buy's website gets kinda finicky if you don't go through their specific deal page.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BingeHooligan posted:

Try using this link, Best Buy's website gets kinda finicky if you don't go through their specific deal page.

I think the BOGO just hadn't gone live yet; I went to go take the games I originally added out of my cart and one of them had switched over to Free.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

I think the BOGO just hadn't gone live yet; I went to go take the games I originally added out of my cart and one of them had switched over to Free.

It working now, but really acting up. I had to cancel my order since it somehow removed Kirby from the cart. Of course after I cancelled it the two games are suddenly not available in store.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOP33LFDyok

Someone translated the Fatal Frame trailer.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I can't seem to find a proper Mario thread so I will ask here. In Mario 3d world 1) How/Can you bubble up while using the gamepad? I have tried just about everything but I cannot seem to get it to work. 2) Is there a way to run without being able to pick up your teammates while running? We are playing on a setup that is gamepad, 1 pro controller, and 2 wiimotes and accidently throwing deaths are causing a lot of rage.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Evil Canadian posted:

I can't seem to find a proper Mario thread so I will ask here. In Mario 3d world 1) How/Can you bubble up while using the gamepad? I have tried just about everything but I cannot seem to get it to work. 2) Is there a way to run without being able to pick up your teammates while running? We are playing on a setup that is gamepad, 1 pro controller, and 2 wiimotes and accidently throwing deaths are causing a lot of rage.

I don't think there is bubbling. That's mitigated some by there being a common pool of lives, instead of each player having their own set of lives.

I think you only pick up your teammate if you start holding the run button when you're near them? So look away, hold run, then start running without letting go.

It's been awhile so I could be wrong in both but that's my recollection.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

pokeyman posted:

I don't think there is bubbling. That's mitigated some by there being a common pool of lives, instead of each player having their own set of lives.

I think you only pick up your teammate if you start holding the run button when you're near them? So look away, hold run, then start running without letting go.

It's been awhile so I could be wrong in both but that's my recollection.

Well as for the second point then I will try that out, hopefully it solves that problem. As for the first though, the players using the Wii-motes can definitely bubble hitting the A button, does not seem to work for pro controller or gamepad though(as that just jumps).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Evil Canadian posted:

Well as for the second point then I will try that out, hopefully it solves that problem. As for the first though, the players using the Wii-motes can definitely bubble hitting the A button, does not seem to work for pro controller or gamepad though(as that just jumps).

Oh, whoops, sorry. Maybe it's in the manual? (Press the Home button.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
On the pro controller/gamepad/classic controller it's L or R.

• Locked thread