Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Nikolaos posted:

Isn't the Pursuer using the Elite Knight set?
No...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nikolaos posted:

Isn't the Pursuer using the Elite Knight set?

No it isn't, sadly.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

So uhh, I made a new character and got to BoB at like 200k soul memory. Started looking for a duel and I got one after like 3 minutes of waiting. Turns out it was someone with more than 2000 HP, full havels and a fire enchanted zweihander. My weapon did around 5% of his HP per hit. His did 25% of mine. I almost beat him, but I hadn't used Pate's Spear in PvP before so I missed some crucial hits and he hit me 3 times in a row and I died.

So, was that guy a hacker or did the game somehow match someone with 5 times my soul memory to go against me?

edit: ok now it matched me with someone with a resonant weapon washing pole. I guess I need to go twink my poo poo also

edit2: ok and apparently someone cleared the game without touching a bonfire and had 200k soul memory. how else would they have gotten the invisible weapon ring???

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 19, 2014

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah I'm mistaken, I just looked through all the armour sets from this game, Dark Souls and Demon Souls. Could have sworn I'd seen Pursuer's armour in one of them but I guess not.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
There's no restrictions on BoB arena matchmaking.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

There's no restrictions on BoB arena matchmaking.

Oh. Well that kinda makes low level invading difficult, doesn't it? Kinda hard to win these duels to get em orbs

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Minorkos posted:

Oh. Well that kinda makes low level invading difficult, doesn't it?
Exactly the idea, yes.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Artum posted:

Exactly the idea, yes.

Serves me right for attempting to abuse the game mechanics by using them like they were supposed to, i guess

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, you're not supposed to be constantly invading people at low level. If they were easy to get it'd be a real pain in the rear end since the only ways to avoid it are to burn an effigy (which has a time limit and is area dependent) or play offline (which apparently disables achievements, if you care about that). Not ideal for most people.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
Where's a good place to use all these cracked blue orbs I have?

I've begun to dip my toe in PvP using affinity, dark rob, scraps of life, and dark fog. Pretty fun so far. Any other spells I should be trying?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

nohopeindope posted:

Where's a good place to use all these cracked blue orbs I have?

I've begun to dip my toe in PvP using affinity, dark rob, scraps of life, and dark fog. Pretty fun so far. Any other spells I should be trying?

I think It searches for any sinners. I remember casting on outside the church, and I wound up in the Bastille.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think It searches for any sinners. I remember casting on outside the church, and I wound up in the Bastille.

It gives preference to where you are, and seems to have some kind of range on it.

A good place to find pvp and sinners is in Huntsman's Copse. Most of the people who you invade will be prepared for it though.

Just don't ever invade as a blue in Heide's Tower of Flame.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If anyone hasn't tried the Red Iron Twinblade after the patch, try it. Thing's loving ridiculous. Maxed out it has 340 base damage and A str scaling (~440 total AR with 40 str). If you make it elemental and buff it, the thing can easily do ~1000 damage with two r1s, and the 2handed r2 is loving strong. I fully expect this to become the new meta and then get nerfed in an upcoming patch.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, you're not supposed to be constantly invading people at low level. If they were easy to get it'd be a real pain in the rear end since the only ways to avoid it are to burn an effigy (which has a time limit and is area dependent) or play offline (which apparently disables achievements, if you care about that). Not ideal for most people.

But isn't invading supposed to be a part of the game? Isn't that why all the covenants like Way of Blue and Blue Sentinels are in the game?

I'm a bit salty because I made a new character because I got tired of the lovely endgame PvP, and now it turns out I have to somehow defeat people with 10 times my soul memory to invade anyone outside the boring Bell Keeper zones. This game's PvP gets exponentially stupider the higher the soul memory so I don't think this it's an outrageous thing to ask to be able to PvP with people with the same amount of soul memory as me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just use cheat engine to give yourself 99x red orbs. No one gives a poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is supposed to be a part of the game. It is not supposed to be unending and unavoidable, which it would be if orbs were easy to get. It's not good and you're not wrong to be frustrated, but it is the way it is for a reason. Unfortunately, it is necessary with the way other systems work in the game. Keep in mind you can just buy them infinitely for an outrageous price (like 10k souls?) from the Brotherhood covenant leader in NG+.

The other option is to give yourself 99 of them through cheat engine. I don't really approve of doing that personally, but I also doubt you care and it's your game to do with what you please.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Yeah I'm not going to cheat. I think I'll just get good and kill all these havelmen with my 500k soul memory character. I've already won 2 duels so it's not so bad

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Minorkos posted:

Yeah I'm not going to cheat. I think I'll just get good and kill all these havelmen with my 500k soul memory character. I've already won 2 duels so it's not so bad

Backstab fishing with a dagger is the great equalizer. Or MS parries while they're around.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Spear PvP report: Not that bad

I've never really used shields in PvP before but they work pretty well with spears. If you know your opponent is about to attack, you can block and attack at the same time, meaning you're pretty much guaranteed to win the trade. And unlike in PvE, the huge stamina costs aren't really a problem since your opponents will rarely hit you until your guard breaks. You won't deal much damage though. I'm guessing a poison spear would work pretty well if you're planning on doing this.

Spears are also pretty good at abusing lag so you can probably make people upset by using spears.

The thing that spears seem to suck at is hitting people who evade sideways. Some people are really good at evading spear attacks, others are really bad at it. Not sure if there's a decent way to deal with elusive players.

Pike seems pretty garbage compared to Pate's Spear by the way.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 20, 2014

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Minorkos posted:

Pike seems pretty garbage compared to Pate's Spear by the way.

Is its reach at least significantly better?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can you still use Cheat Engine after the table fuckery?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

TheRagamuffin posted:

Not really! It's maybe like, 3 inches longer.

Damagewise, my +10 Pike has like 190 + 101 damage, and my +3 Pate's Spear has like 231 + 72 or something like that. The pike has A scaling in dex though, so at least there's that. I only have like 20 strength and 27 dex so maybe the Pike is a good quality weapon, if good quality weapons existed. Did they buff dex scaling yet?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Minorkos posted:

Damagewise, my +10 Pike has like 190 + 101 damage, and my +3 Pate's Spear has like 231 + 72 or something like that. The pike has A scaling in dex though, so at least there's that. I only have like 20 strength and 27 dex so maybe the Pike is a good quality weapon, if good quality weapons existed. Did they buff dex scaling yet?

No. They made some Dex scaling weapons scale better with Dex, but Dex itself is still hosed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I highly doubt they're going to, since the weapons are already kinda balanced around dex scaling being as weak as it is.

Pike is straight garbage, tho not nearly as bad as prepatch (where it had like 220 damage tops).

Also more news on Red Iron Twinblade. Got an AFK guy. Buffed with sunlight blade and sacred oath, the combo of 2handed r2s did 2.2k damage, with ~1k being from the first r2. Thing is strong as gently caress.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

The thing that's always given me trouble with spears and still is isn't the dodging, it's people turtling. It's really obvious if you 're going to for a guard break and if they just keep their shield up you're doomed. Also BS immune people. Using rangy weapons usually gets me a lot of chase-down BSes.

Other patch observations: the helix halberd went from kinda bad but interesting to just bad, what were 1100 damage counter hits are now like 600 and the boost to the r1s doesn't make up for it at all. The channeler's trident had nerfed r2s too and boosted r1s and seems better now all in all. Haven't used Pate's spear but fought a few people with it and the damage is good. Partizan doesn't seem buffed much. Great scythe does a bit more damage but could stand to be buffed further. Weird thing: I liked to do a bait 1h r1 and get somebody running at me and then mash parry and this usually worked pre-patch and the parry seems late now. Black flamestone dagger's damage is still really bad. Fought considerably fewer people with heavy armor but it still seems very good.

The monastery scimitar era of PvP was my least favorite and I am not happy to have it back.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

Go with the stone soldier spear if you want reach, it has more damage, less weight, and the benefit of having a step forward for its second R1 which is surprisingly useful when you're attacking at max range.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wait, they reverted the monastery scimitar parry as part of the patch? I must've missed that. Hooray!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Wait, they reverted the monastery scimitar parry as part of the patch? I must've missed that. Hooray!

Curved swords also have their good parry back.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm not sure how having a one (two?) frame parry is good FOR THE META, but whatever. Was it a mistake? Someone at FROM trolling? Does it even matter?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Due to a deal with the devil, From must make one bafflingly stupid decision for every four good ones

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm not sure how having a one (two?) frame parry is good FOR THE META, but whatever. Was it a mistake? Someone at FROM trolling? Does it even matter?

It's an odd decision given they patched it out (presumably) because people were complaining about it. Syan's Halberds will probably become super popular again.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yeah it's awful and everyone cool is mad about it.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
I'm really not liking the changes to the lightning spear line of miracles. It really seems to be useless for PVE with how few casts you get now.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Genocyber posted:

If anyone hasn't tried the Red Iron Twinblade after the patch, try it. Thing's loving ridiculous. Maxed out it has 340 base damage and A str scaling (~440 total AR with 40 str). If you make it elemental and buff it, the thing can easily do ~1000 damage with two r1s, and the 2handed r2 is loving strong. I fully expect this to become the new meta and then get nerfed in an upcoming patch.

Yeah, I'm already seeing a whole bunch of them in the arena. Luckily most people have no clue how to use them and just try to spin2win constantly so they're easy enough to beat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I just got this game and sorry if this was answered, but are Dex builds good for PvE or does Strength builds completely beat it in melee?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tim Pawlenty posted:

I'm really not liking the changes to the lightning spear line of miracles. It really seems to be useless for PVE with how few casts you get now.

Great Lightning Spear still gets more casts than Crystal/Soul Spear and generally does more or less equal damage, so there's that.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

So I just got this game and sorry if this was answered, but are Dex builds good for PvE or does Strength builds completely beat it in melee?

For PVE you want strike damage and those are all strength weapons.

It doesn't really matter a ton though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Great Lightning Spear still gets more casts than Soul Spear and generally does more damage, so there's that.

Nah it's about the same, Soul Spear actually does a little more than GLS on average now but isn't as consistent. Crystal Soul Spear is better than Sunlight Spear now (it'll do anywhere around 100 less or 400 more depending on what you're attacking) and Lightning Spear isn't worth mentioning at all.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tae posted:

Any weapon is fine, so just use whatever you think is cool. Might want to carry both a blunt and a cutting weapon, though. You'll encounter both armored and fleshy targets, and sometimes you'll weapon will wear out before you can reach the next bonfire, so it's good to be upgrading 2 weapons at the same time.

Dex weapons don't scale well with dex though, so it's probably a good idea to just get enough for the requirements and pump the rest of your skillpoints in something else.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nah it's about the same, Soul Spear actually does a little more than GLS on average now but isn't as consistent. Crystal Soul Spear is better than Sunlight Spear now (it'll do anywhere around 100 less or 400 more depending on what you're attacking) and Lightning Spear isn't worth mentioning at all.

Did they change the damage on the soul spears at all? I'll admit I didn't actually bother to chuck spells at anything, just turned on the game to see my new ammo count on great lightning spears.